Just got back from Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour

Kiki in Michigan

We did this tour last week on our cruise. It was great! There were about 15 of us, which was nice. We spent about 30-45 minutes with the Stingrays and about the same snorkeling. The guides gave us squid to feed the stingrays and it feels so weird when they slurp it out of your hand! There was a camera guy there taking plenty of pictures while you hold a stingray. I didn't do the snorkeling and stayed on the boat but dh saw some fish and took a few pictures. Our last stop was Rum Point. We had lunch at Rum Point (the food was good). We spent about 1 1/2 hours there, just like others have mentioned with this tour. It did end up raining for about 30 minutes, so we huddled in the bar. The sun came out when we had about 20 minutes left. Rum Point is beautiful! We are glad we did this excursion but wished I could have enjoyed the sun more at Rum Point. We even got back to the port in plenty of time to do some shopping for our rum cakes to take home. By the way, we did lots of taste testing and dh and I both agree that Blackbeard rum cakes taste better than the Tortuga. Just thought I would mention this. We bought the Blackbeard. :)

The only thing I didn't like was the guy on the boat selling his pictures for $20 each. That is just crazy! Our group didn't buy any and I don't know if anyone else did. Now we would have paid $10, maybe $15, but $20 is just too much. We don't have a picture of us kissing the the stingray though. But at least I can tell Jungle Jane that I did it! :)

Overall, it was a great excursion! A great value for your money, considering it's Grand Cayman and the prices are so high there!

Hey RC, I forgot to ask, did you have Sheldon as one of your guides? I know they all are great, but Sheldon just cracked us up. You can tell he loves what he does. Posting my fav pic here (AGAIN) for those who've never seen it....

SheldonandBigMamaGrandCayman.jpg

Jungle Jane, I don't think we had Sheldon, if that is the guy getting friendly with the ray. :p They weren't that memorable, honestly. They didn't talk too much to us. It sounds like your guides were far more entertaining then ours. I don't even remember their names, that is, if they told us. :) The water was a bit choppy. I felt a little nauseous and just wanted to get off the boat. I was fine on the way back from Rum Point though. It calmed down after the rain.

Jungle Jane, I don't think we had Sheldon, if that is the guy getting friendly with the ray. :p They weren't that memorable, honestly. They didn't talk too much to us. It sounds like your guides were far more entertaining then ours. I don't even remember their names, that is, if they told us. :) The water was a bit choppy. I felt a little nauseous and just wanted to get off the boat. I was fine on the way back from Rum Point though. It calmed down after the rain.

I had a little bit of that too between SRC and the snorkeling stop, I almost didn't snorkle b'c I was starting to feel pukey, but Sheldon suggested I at least get in the water b'c that would cure the pukey feeling-I thought he just didn't want me to puke on his boat! LOL! But he was right, as soon as I got in the water I felt 100% better so I was glad I did and the snorkeling was insane. I was spooked at first but it was sooo cool, we were literally swimming with fish and rays. We got rained on for about 10 mins while snorkeling, that really kicked the water up and the boat was thrashing side to side then, it was like the opening scene out of GIlligan's Island! But we all clung to the line they threw out and continued to snorkle and we were all fine. After 10 mins the storm vanished and it was like it never happened.

That's too bad that you didn't have good guides, ours really made it the great time it was. Yes, that's Sheldon makin' out with Big Mama. God he was funny. The photographer guy sounded Austrailian and wore a cowboy hat, he wasn't fun at all and was copping a 'tude when we were trying to take our own pics.

What's included on this tour?

I went to the website and there are several tours listed.

Is it necessary to book in advance?

You want to look for the one called "Rays Reef and Rum Point"

includes sting ray city (rays) snorkeling (reef) and lunch and lounging at Rum Point (rum point)

Yes, you will want to book well in advance, especially for the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point Tour, which is very popular. I've already booked for our August sailing, and some book earlier than that. There are limited spots on the tour. Email them directly at the email address on their site or fill out their booking form (though, I got a response very soon after sending the direct email, and not after filling out the online booking form). When emailing, include all the info requested on the form.

What's included on this tour?

I went to the website and there are several tours listed.

Is it necessary to book in advance?

We then sailed over to Rum Point. On the way there, they had taken our order and our lunch was ready when we got there. My DH and I had the blackened mahi mahi sandwich, and my daughters had the chicken tenders and cheeseburger (huge!). Everything was very good.

Do you happen to recall if there were any vegetarian options for the lunch? I'm interested in this excursion but I'm a vegetarian ... & want to eat!

Do you happen to recall if there were any vegetarian options for the lunch? I'm interested in this excursion but I'm a vegetarian ... & want to eat!

Gosh it was a lot of chicken/ burgers, dogs, their specialty is of course seafood, the catch of the day was great, I'm thinking there MUST have been vegetarian but can't remember exactly.

On a side note this website offers some great views of Rum Point, and the pics are NOT glorified, it's really THAT gorgeous there:

http://www.caymankaivacations.com/RumPointBeach.htm

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in December. I booked this excersion because it sounds like so much fun, but have also read you are cutting it close to get back on the boat. We are on RCI Mariner of the Seas. Has anyone had problems? I just don't want to be a nervous wreck the whole time. I am a newbie! Thanks for any advice!

My husband and I are taking our first cruise in December. I booked this excersion because it sounds like so much fun, but have also read you are cutting it close to get back on the boat. We are on RCI Mariner of the Seas. Has anyone had problems? I just don't want to be a nervous wreck the whole time. I am a newbie! Thanks for any advice!

lol i was going to post the same thing. Is this excursion an all day event? I'm going on the valor in august and get there at 7am and leave at 4pm.

How long exactly is the excursion? Will i have time to do other excursions/things while i'm there?

Also i noticed alot of people ordering lunch there. Is the lunch included with the price of the tour or will i need to be bringing some extra cash?

Anyone know if the guides give you grief for bringing your own snorkeling equipment and cameras?

Nope, no problem. I had emailed Sharon after booking and let her know I was super nervous about getting back in time. She knew I'd make it back, but she knew I was spastic about it and she knew it was gonna be close so she drove to the yacht club and took me and my daughter in her car for the speed racer version of the ride back to the pier rather than the mega load bus taking the scenic route that the rest of the tour went on. Sooooooooooooo sweet of her-AND she made a special stop along to way so I could run into the Harley store.

THIS is what I mean when I say they MEAN it when they GUARANTEE that they'll get you back in time, and when anyone ever dogs on them for not calling back right away I'll always speak up, b'c I"m sure there were ppl waiting for a call back while she was personally driving us back to the pier.

If you are concerned just email Sharon and let her know you have reservations about making it back in time. Also keep in mind that the last tender times they give you are not very accurate, just b'c people are people and will always wait till the very last minute. Our last tender time was 3:15. We were at the yacht club at 3. Sharon picked us up and had us back at the pier at 3:15, we got on the tender at about 3:45 an the tenders were still going after 4:30. As long as there are people in line they'll keep the tenders going.

Don't worry 'bout a ting, mon!!!!!!!!!!

(oops, that's Jamaica LOL!)

lol i was going to post the same thing. Is this excursion an all day event? I'm going on the valor in august and get there at 7am and leave at 4pm. It will probably be either 9-2 or 10-3.

How long exactly is the excursion? Will i have time to do other excursions/things while i'm there? You'll probably be able to get some shopping in before and/or after, not much else. Possibly a stop at 7 mile beach on the way back, but taxi to the pier would be on your own.

Also i noticed alot of people ordering lunch there. Is the lunch included with the price of the tour or will i need to be bringing some extra cash? Lunch at Rum Point is included. They do give you lemonade, water or iced tea, but bar drinks would be extra and that's all you'd need cash for on this tour, that and tour guide tips of course.

Anyone know if the guides give you grief for bringing your own snorkeling equipment and cameras? We brought our own snorkles, masks and camera, no grief at all. We borrowed fins only, the rest we brought--no one cared or gave us a 2nd look for having our own stuff and we weren't the only ones who did. The tour camera guy did get in front of us when we tried to get pics of eachother kissing the 'rays but we got our pics. His pics were good but too $$$$ and you have to have them mailed to you or something like that.

Have a blast!

Nope, no problem. I had emailed Sharon after booking and let her know I was super nervous about getting back in time. She knew I'd make it back, but she knew I was spastic about it and she knew it was gonna be close so she drove to the yacht club and took me and my daughter in her car for the speed racer version of the ride back to the pier rather than the mega load bus taking the scenic route that the rest of the tour went on. Sooooooooooooo sweet of her-AND she made a special stop along to way so I could run into the Harley store.

THIS is what I mean when I say they MEAN it when they GUARANTEE that they'll get you back in time, and when anyone ever dogs on them for not calling back right away I'll always speak up, b'c I"m sure there were ppl waiting for a call back while she was personally driving us back to the pier.

If you are concerned just email Sharon and let her know you have reservations about making it back in time. Also keep in mind that the last tender times they give you are not very accurate, just b'c people are people and will always wait till the very last minute. Our last tender time was 3:15. We were at the yacht club at 3. Sharon picked us up and had us back at the pier at 3:15, we got on the tender at about 3:45 an the tenders were still going after 4:30. As long as there are people in line they'll keep the tenders going.

Don't worry 'bout a ting, mon!!!!!!!!!!

(oops, that's Jamaica LOL!)

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel better. To bad it is still about six LONG months away!:)

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel better. To bad it is still about six LONG months away!:)

Just live on the boards, make all your little lists, go shopping for cruise clothes, etc...the time will fly by...

NOT!! LOL!!

Enjoy :)

We are leaving on the conquest this sunday and i filled out their booking form yesterday and i was curious what the turn around time usually is? does anyone have any other type of contact info for them i looked through their website and didnt find much.

This is from an e-mail I received when attempting to give them my credit card number to hold my reservation...

Our Cayman number is 1-345-916-5027 (call between 7:30 AM and 7 PM Eastern Time). Our New York number is 1-516-394-4365 (call between 5 PM and 10:30 PM Eastern Time).

Sharon Ebanks

We are leaving on the conquest this sunday and i filled out their booking form yesterday and i was curious what the turn around time usually is? does anyone have any other type of contact info for them i looked through their website and didnt find much.

I sent Sharon an email directly with my info. I used the email address on the Nativeway website and she responded quickly. People usually (it seems) book the RRR tour early, so if this is the one you want to do make sure you get in touch with Sharon before you leave to make sure it is not already booked.

I have a few more questions.

1. Complete snorkle gear is included in price?

2. how much do you tip for this rays, reef and rum point excursion?

3 Is there a bathroom on the boat?

4. Someone posted that the camera guy got in the way when they were trying to take pictures of themselves kissing the rays. Do all the camera guys do this. I am on a limited budget and wouldn't be able to afford $20 pictures. I was just going to bring my own water camera.

Not familiar with port but after the excursion, there are shops right by the cruise ships?

I am one of those people who freak out over little things and would rather

know what I am getting myself into so that I avoid my stupid panic attacks that I get.

I used the email address, not the form, and she got back to me real fast. I booked the RR&R, it took less that 4 hours for us to trade emails. I emailed her my cc number and we are set. Very easy to work with.

In her email, it did said that snorkle equipment was included.

1. Complete snorkle gear is included in price?

2. how much do you tip for this rays, reef and rum point excursion?

3 Is there a bathroom on the boat?

4. Someone posted that the camera guy got in the way when they were trying to take pictures of themselves kissing the rays. Do all the camera guys do this. I am on a limited budget and wouldn't be able to afford $20 pictures. I was just going to bring my own water camera.

Not familiar with port but after the excursion, there are shops right by the cruise ships?

know what I am getting myself into so that I avoid my stupid panic attacks that I get.

We did this excursion last week! It was amazing! Snorkel gear is included in the price. At the end they will let you know tips are appreciated... no pressure… tip based on your experience. Yes there is a small toilet on the boat. The camera guy was very nice. We had one of the guides take our picture. The pictures the photographer took were really good but we thought they were a little pricey. We would have purchased a few if the price was lower.

1. Complete snorkle gear is included in price? Yup

2. how much do you tip for this rays, reef and rum point excursion? We gave $5 to each of our guides (2)

3 Is there a bathroom on the boat? Yes, a small one, but it does the job LOL!

4. Someone posted that the camera guy got in the way when they were trying to take pictures of themselves kissing the rays. Do all the camera guys do this. I am on a limited budget and wouldn't be able to afford $20 pictures. I was just going to bring my own water camera. That was me. He acted aggravated when I got in front of him to take pics of my daughter, but it was MY daughter and I wasn't going to buy is overpriced pics anyway, so what should he care? Just let him know that you want to take your own pics, he won't get mad or yell at you or anything...it's your excursion, you paid for it, get where you need to get to take the pics you want-no sweat. A polite "excuse me, sorry, just wanna take a pic of my wife/family/whatever" and he'll get the hint.

Not familiar with port but after the excursion, there are shops right by the cruise ships? Yes there are a lot of shops right in the general area of the pier.

I am exactly like that and completely understand :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked to do this tour in November. I have read here that the guides should be tipped, and I fully expected to do that. My question is, since we are eating lunch at Rum Point, I'm assuming there are waiters there, and they need to be tipped as well, right? Can anyone give me some insight to this? I'm trying to make envelopes with all the money for excursions, including tips, so that money in pocket is for spending, not tipping. TIA!

amc - when we did the RR&R in January, Chris (our captain) actually went and got the food from the restaurant and put it all on a picnic table and we just picked up what we ordered...no additional tip necessary. The bartender...that's another story...yummy drinks.

We are booked to do this tour in November. I have read here that the guides should be tipped, and I fully expected to do that. My question is, since we are eating lunch at Rum Point, I'm assuming there are waiters there, and they need to be tipped as well, right? Can anyone give me some insight to this? I'm trying to make envelopes with all the money for excursions, including tips, so that money in pocket is for spending, not tipping. TIA!

amc - when we did the RR&R in January, Chris (our captain) actually went and got the food from the restaurant and put it all on a picnic table and we just picked up what we ordered...no additional tip necessary. The bartender...that's another story...yummy drinks.

That was our experience as well, Sheldon, our guide got the trays of food and put them on the tables for us. No need to tip anyone at RP except the bartender.

We also used the envelope system and it worked very well for us.

Enjoy!

Archived