Cave tubing in Belize

ColoradoJuli

OK, I saw some threads on this subject, but for the life of me I can not find it tonight. My DH has decided to tube instead of dive. (He said it sounded really cool.) So we are going to tube. I know that someone left a message about a tour guide that they had used and was very please with. Would you mind posting the information again or sending it to me at juli@refurl.net

I really appreciate you helping and my group will thank you!

Reggie Trapp has been doing a private Cave Tubing tour for more than 6 years now. His family helps him and his reputation is very good. Do a search on this forum and you should be able to find his web page address or email address. Last check it was $65pp plus lunch if you have time to stop.

Wear teva style sandals or old canvas neakers plus a t-shirt you don't mind getting wet to prevent rubber burn under your arms.

Bon Voyage

I tubed last winter. Reggie had a lot of favorable reviews; Xstream had a lot of favorable reviews. I chose Xstream because of the exended tubing opportunity.

My only complaints would be: the van to the river (corrected on return, when some heavy folk exchanged seats) and we didn't get the fruit platter b/c of time.

As for the actual tubing, we were already tubing B4 some tours got in AND we were tubing after some tours got out....I would definitely recommend.

Both are cheaper than what the ships offer.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/CaveTubingBelize.htm

You need shoes that are comfortable to walk in, on rocks....more like a teva type sandal....something with a thick non skid sole

There are 2 or 3 bathroom stalls to change in, after you are done. Leave your clothes in the van. Don't bring anything with you, except waterproof camera, and this I would put on a strap around my neck.

One of my friends, kept everyone's passport and money in baggies in her fanny pack around her waist

It's not hard,it's just hectic at times.

Now,we had an unusually bad experience.

The most beautiful excursion Day from Hell!

We used Reggie at first. Before we even left the docks, He accidentally locked his keys in his van, and took off to find another set.

After waiting for an hour, we ended up joining the X-stream group, who took pity on us (and our money).

Almost there and the van started spewing out smoke and we broke down in the last long jungle road, on the way there.

As we waited on the side of the road, we became the "Belize, book your own excursion" sideshow as the huge cattled ship excursion buses, gaped at us, as they passed us by.

Our driver, got under the van, a very old van, sliced and spliced....and we were off again.

When we got there it was very disorganized as far as changing batteries for headlamps, not enough tubes, never knowing where the guide was...who to pay...?

We took off, and followed the crowds. Finally, our group was re-gathered.

Then, I lost my wedding ring in the water.....(mixture of sunscreen while we waited for them to get organized and then getting into the somewhat cold water)

BUT

All in all, it was an awesome tour.

We met up with Reggie later. I won't go into details but he handled the whole thing badly. If it wasn't for the fact that it was unusual circumstances, I wouldn't reccommend him.

BUT,

the other half of the group that did end up with his other guy, said it was a nice informative tour, (this, despite being split up from his family).

I have to say, one of the X-stream guys was awesome and stayed with me and my 8 yr. old the whole time we were in the water. Very attentive!

The whole experience in the caves is awe inspiring and not to be missed....and I would still book privately.

....and my insurance was very good to me....(re: ring)

• 2 weeks later...

We used Reggi January of this year. We had absoulutely no problems with him or the trip. We met him at the van, took care of the $$ and then headed off to the caves after stopping on the road to pick up his wife (who helps him out). Luckily we picked her up because one of the people in our group could not make the walk up the incline to the start of the caves and Regi took him via shortcut into the caves and then met us half way in the caves. We also had another person who got stuck, panicked and couldn't get off a rock inside the caves, so Reggi stayed with him. He and his wife were very careful to take care of anyone who was having a problem. I have no problem recommending him and have done so to several co-workers/friends.

No matter who you choose to take this excursion, it is the best experience we have had in the islands.

DH and I wore our older sneakers for the cave excursion and then left them at the changing station after the excursion..and slipped into flip flops..Water shoes do not have thick enough soles to protect your feet from the stones on the trail to the water. Our sneakers were in good condition and I went and told an employee we were leaving them and anyone who wanted them could have them. We didn't have to deal with packing wet sneakers and I am sure someone working at the cave was happy to get 2 pairs of good condition Nike shoes. We did the same thing with the tee shirts we wore..Could of our recycling of cruise clothes!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived