Crazy things non cruisers have told you about cruising

Cruiseforfun1

Whe I read the post about not licking the railings on the ship, Ihad to laugh thinking about some of the abusrd things non-cruisers have told me about cruising.

A few years ago, just back from a Carnival cruise my daughters and I were talking at work about our cruise. I have a cleaning company, doing new construction cleaning. One of the superintendents walked by and said incredulously "you guys have gone on a cruise?" When we told him we had gone on several he walked away saying"I didn't know people who were just cleaners could go on cruises!"

and Last month my husband was telling my MIL about our Liberty cruise. He would like to talk her into going with us sometime. He was telling her about the food and said "Mom they have Lobster, lamb, just about any kind of dish you like and really great deserts." and she replied. "Oh you must have been in the really expensive part of the ship because one thing I DO know about cruises is tht they don't give the really good food to the people in the steerage cabins!":cool:

"I didn't know people who were just cleaners could go on cruises!"

Truth be told, people in the cleaning industry often have more time and money to cruise than those with more "glamourous" occupations.

My old roommate has a successful janitorial service. He is platinum and/or elite on each of HAL, Princess and Carnival.

lol this thread is too funny, ya know, it's funny when i tell people that it's the only way i think i'll ever vacation, they always ask me how i can stand it. They seem to think that they would get claustraphobic, as if the boat is yacht sized... and sailing in bad weather (ie large waves that rock the boat) all the time... i dont know how many people have asked me these things.. Personally i hardly remember im on a boat sometimes , i love it love it love it !!

I have heard all of these as well. The big thing I hear is about how they have heard the boat rocks and makes everyone seasick. I just tell them when the boat starts rocking like that, you just need to hold on!! LOL.

Truth be told, people in the cleaning industry often have more time and money to cruise than those with more "glamourous" occupations.

Obviously very true, given the number of room stewards I've seen on these boats:D:D:D

Running and ducking.......:p

We've been trying to get some friends to go on a cruise with us for a while. Finally the wife told us "we just don't like being stuck in one place for that long of a time". I think their view was that it was like being locked in a hotel for a week , but "stuck in one place" is not a description that I'd ever use for cruising.

Me TOO! AND, when it first came out, it seems that 400 zillion crying teenaged girls loved it TOO!:D

How True!

Everytime its on, which is about once a week now, lol... i can not change the chanel!!!!!!!!

PS Rent or buy the directors cut!!!!

lol this thread is too funny, ya know, it's funny when i tell people that it's the only way i think i'll ever vacation, they always ask me how i can stand it. They seem to think that they would get claustraphobic, as if the boat is yacht sized... and sailing in bad weather (ie large waves that rock the boat) all the time... i dont know how many people have asked me these things.. Personally i hardly remember im on a boat sometimes , i love it love it love it !!

LOL!! When I first started researching cruising a couple of years ago, I was SO surprised to find that most everything to do is "inside" the ship!:o I thought that anywhere you had to go, you had to be outside, on the deck, walking to get to the place you wanted to go!:D Now that I have been on cruises, I know that isn't true! All these people, ah heck, let's call them "won't cruise because..."people, don't know what they are missing!:eek:

We've been trying to get some friends to go on a cruise with us for a while. Finally the wife told us "we just don't like being stuck in one place for that long of a time". I think their view was that it was like being locked in a hotel for a week , but "stuck in one place" is not a description that I'd ever use for cruising.

What I love about cruising is you just unpack ONCE! I think cruising offers such a variety of things to do! If you just want to take 2 swimsuits and spend the whole cruise at the pool, you CAN! If you want to do everything that is offered, you can do that TOO! Like to dress up, you can do it! Don't ever wanna dress up on the cruise, you don't have to!

What! thats hurricane season...............what are you going to do if you get stuck out there in a hurricane?

Be Careful! you know they throw folks off them cruise ships all the time and the cruise lines just cover it up!

OH NO, not me.................I dont want that norovirus thing!!

I have a sister that went and had to sleep with the cabin door open she was so claustraphopic(sp) in that little bitty cabin!

How True!

Everytime its on, which is about once a week now, lol... i can not change the chanel!!!!!!!!

PS Rent or buy the directors cut!!!!

Titanic is on my "list" of movies that I will always watch if I see them on TV! I DO own the dvd, but i'm not sure it is the directors cut?:confused:

What! thats hurricane season...............what are you going to do if you get stuck out there in a hurricane?

Be Careful! you know they throw folks off them cruise ships all the time and the cruise lines just cover it up!

OH NO, not me.................I dont want that norovirus thing!!

I have a sister that went and had to sleep with the cabin door open she was so claustraphopic(sp) in that little bitty cabin!

Yep, those are good ones!!:D :D :cool:

A friend of mine who goes on trips to many of our favorite cruise destinations simply to sit on the beach and tan said to us that she thought cruises would be dull. She told us (as we were about to go on our first) that they were all about potato sack races and tango lessons. She also was convinced that the only people who could enjoy them were those over sixty. It's as though her perception of cruising was some sort of retirement summer camp. Odd, very odd!

How about the Montel Williams show people always ask me have you seen him talk about NOT sailing.[i have not].And the ones that say you cant see land for days lol then say noway its not for me.

Montel doesn't like to cruise?

On one of my cruises, crap, I can't remember the name of the CD but I think it was on my last cruise on the Ecstasy, anyway, at the disembarkation talk, he said, "I just want to assure you that always during the cruise we are never more than 5 miles from land. " "How, you may ask? Well, there is land 5 miles below the water!":D :rolleyes:

What I love about cruising is you just unpack ONCE! I think cruising offers such a variety of things to do! If you just want to take 2 swimsuits and spend the whole cruise at the pool, you CAN! If you want to do everything that is offered, you can do that TOO! Like to dress up, you can do it! Don't ever wanna dress up on the cruise, you don't have to!

That is exactly what I tell people who ask me how I could cruise. Unpack once and live for 7 days on a floating resort that takes me some place new every day with out me having to drive.

My BIL told my sister that he will not cruise. He said he was in the navy for 22 years and she was crazy if she thought he was getting on another ship.

Well we are cruising next year as a family to celebrate my dads 80th birthday. He has 2 months to decide if he wants to be part of the party or stay home and be a party pooper....

that they were all about potato sack races and tango lessons. She also was convinced that the only people who could enjoy them were those over sixty. It's as though her perception of cruising was some sort of retirement summer camp. Odd, very odd!

LOL! Do ANY ships have potato sack races?:D She needs to get on youtube and look at some fun videos, and get on webshots and look at all the fun pictures, AND, all the people in those pics and videos who are NOT over sixty!:D

I'm a letter carrier and a co-worker saw an add/magazine (Currents or Sea Miles).........it shows a couple swimming with a Conquest class in the distant background.

He brings me the add and ask "do they really let you swim off of the ship like that?":eek:

No Chris.....the ship is docked at a port and they are swimming at a beach.

Archived