Crazy things non cruisers have told you about cruising

Cruiseforfun1

glad someone revived this one. And since my 1st post on this thread..I have cruzed 24 times, done Europe, 4 times, and have 8 more booked. Peeps still ask if I've had enufffff.noppppe!..just got home Thurs, packing for one in 2weeks..AGAIN.. Since '08, some of my gal pals have decided that "ole lucky must be on to something". Offered last cruze to any one for $30.00...All i got was.."what Tha"?..so I goes it solo again..since solo is 200%, I'm ok with dat..and I have more coming up..I may have to do the Magic solo..but for my final price of $301.40..even dubble..i'll do it! uh oh..thatz across the ocean (again)..allll that water, and what if your boat breaks down like that "other one " just last week..oh well..........I'll be with 165 new friends to share SPAM with. All my pals were anxious to know if I was on it..as most dont even know there is more than "1" ship at sea, and more than one port........and yet I wont cancel because of "the fire"..the funniest what if to add:..this summer HAL repo..Mates friend aked what would happen if someone came up and snatched his baby out of his arms, and threw it over board?..she just smiled and said' then you better leave the baby with grandma! ya gotta know Maggs !!!

[quote name='thinfool']Truth be told, people in the cleaning industry often have more time and money to cruise than those with more "glamourous" occupations.

[/quote]

Well, I am a nurse, and let me tell you, there are many days where my profession could really be considered part of the "cleaning industry.";)

Unfortunately, however, I don't have an extensive cruising history.:(

To the OP....; The reason I cruise solo sometimes is because, I have only one friend who likes to cruise, and our vacation times dont always coincide, or I cruise with my Mom, but she is not always able to come along...anyway.....;

I have no stories from non cruisers, but I have a couple of friends, who cruised once each, back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then we were all much younger and drank much more alcohol than any of us do now, but both these gals, keep telling me that they were so "seasick" on their respective cruises that they would never set foot aboard another cruiseship. My feeling about this, is that either they imbibed too much alcohol, or it was a combination with the fact that cruise ships back then werent all equipped with stabilizers. It may have been a combination of both!

Every year when I tell them that I am booked on a cruise, they say "Eeeewweeeee", " I will never set foot on a cruise ship again, just plain yuck for them"! No biggie, I still go, and come back after my week at sea, planning my next one!:)

[quote name='okgladmom']My friend said "you know those cruises go out to the middle of the ocean!" I don't know what her point was.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes they do. :D:D

I've had people tell me "There will be nothing to do on sea days". I think to myself, isn't that the point of cruising?

[quote name='thinfool']Truth be told, people in the cleaning industry often have more time and money to cruise than those with more "glamourous" occupations.

My old roommate has a successful janitorial service. He is platinum and/or elite on each of HAL, Princess and Carnival.[/quote]

Sure, if you own the cleaning company.

[quote name='MorePlease']I heard someone ask if they were cruising solo, would the cruise put some other random solo person in the room with them.[/quote]

Wait, wasn't this the case, once upon a time?

Oh, the things [I]Love Boat[/I] lied about...

[quote name='DebBrown']I have heard all of these as well. The big thing I hear is about how they have heard the boat rocks and makes everyone seasick. I just tell them when the boat starts rocking like that, you just need to hold on!! LOL.[/QUOTE]

In my case, that's kind of true. I've only cruised the one time (on HAL). It was an 11 day trip from Norfolk to the southern/eastern islands (what a way to break in to cruising, eh? LOL). The first full sea day, we hit moderately rough seas and about 1/3 of the passengers had fairly bad seasickness, including my roommate, so I was more or less on my own that day, wandering the ship.

I felt fine, but I walked like a drunken sailor. Various crew members who came upon me and my amusing gait assured me I'd get my sea legs in no time. How true they were; at no time did I ever get sea legs. LOL. I stumbled around the ship while it was in motion the entire trip. I also never got sea sick, so I suppose of the two, I got the better end of the deal.

But now I know--don't pack heels for my upcoming cruise in 2011. It's just asking for trouble ;)

[quote name='SheriNtexas']LOL! Do ANY ships have potato sack races?:D She needs to get on youtube and look at some fun videos, and get on webshots and look at all the fun pictures, AND, all the people in those pics and videos who are NOT over sixty!:D[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to imagine a shipload of 60 and over passengers indulging in potato sack races. Seriously, that's not an activity I associate with that age group. Maybe I'm just age-ist ;)

I didn't really think I would like to cruise after all I spent a lot of days on the water thanks to the US Navy, however a few small ammenitys like the MDR or the pool or the water slde or bikinis or even DODs have given me a new perspective. If the Navy would adopt this I would still be in.

People in my hubby's family think I'm VERY rich to cruise the way I do .I LOVE >>>NOT....... their sarcastic tones..... "so where are you off to next " ??and the BESt was the RAISED eyebrow when I told them I did Transat on QM2 ...no it was not over the top expensive ...and yes I really liked it ...entertainment was TOP KNOTCH ..IMO the BEST at sea ...I have been on 28 cruises so I do have basis for comparison
also the //ANOTHER CRUISE????
Hey People OFF MY BACK I PAY for my vacations ...not YOU..... nor Hubby
AS long as I enjoy them meet great people go snorkeling or visiting I will cruise
3 cheers for all cruisers !!!

Michele

We always get the "evil eye" from DH family, " Oh?? How can you afford that??", a few Titanic remarks and silent treatment. We don't say a word about it anymore, almost up to the day we leave. To make matters worse we usually cruise with at least 4 of our kids too. It's just jealousy, but it stinks.

[quote name='chitown cruisers']I'm a letter carrier and a co-worker saw an add/magazine (Currents or Sea Miles).........it shows a couple swimming with a Conquest class in the distant background.

He brings me the add and ask "do they really let you swim off of the ship like that?":eek:

No Chris.....the ship is docked at a port and they are swimming at a beach.[/quote]

Actually, some Paul Guaguin cruise ships DO have a swim platform that is lowered from the stern of the ship. People can then swim, raft and jetski off the ship. (Only when anchored, of course). I know that this isn't Carnival, and it isn't common, but it does happen.

Paul

According to many people I know who have NEVER been on a cruise, this is what cruising is all about:

[LIST]
[*]Everyone falls off cruise ships
[*]It is regimented
[*]Cabins are small and claustrophobic
[*]You have to eat your meals at the same times every day
[*]Everyone gets sick
[*]They wouldn't like cruising because they like the beach (apparently they don't have beaches on the Caribbean islands cruises go to!!??!!
[*]It is dangerous, people get attacked on cruise ships all the time
[*]You have to be inside all the time
[*]Nothing to do, it would be boring!!??!!
[*]and the winner comment is....YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR BOOZE!!
[/LIST]Whatever!! :confused:

I've heard all kinds of excuses for not taking a cruise - tops is a friend who says his father died on a cruise of a heart attack, so he won't go on one. I understand, but I still drive even though I lost a brother in a traffic accident.

We took a cruise to celibrate (sp) my mothers 80th birthday, and I taught all my grandkids that the number one rule on a ship was "Don't climb on the railing" - guess what? No one fell overboard.

The closeminded people who don't cruise just help keep the demand and prices low for those of us who do.

Dave

im laffin so badly it hurts

moses wasnt the only one that used water as transportation i do believe....

im taking my first cruise so what do i know but what ive read here,but one of the reasons im taking it is, so i can relax, usually i come back from a vacation so tired i can barely work when i step on the ship my job is done i can just enjoy.

im really interested in learning more about solo cruising, figure its a good way to overcome the empty nest syndrome.

i dont like to eat alone either but hey there is room service lol :)

[quote name='QuasiTova']Your job sounds like mine... not the same type of work, but a very similar work LOAD, and attitude... lol

I cannot even go to the damn doctor for an hour without getting 4 or 5 phone calls from work because someone has a crisis... I expect this place to LITERALLY just fall apart when I am gone for 20 GLORIOUS days!!!!

My GM has already said he is going to make sure I have a cellphone that works in Alaska, but I am hoping he forgets before August lol

This is the FIRST vacation I have taken in 5 years... and like you said, with age comes wisdom... because this past year has made me realize that some things are just more important than work... I plan to start taking more vacations...

Already booked my second cruise to the Caribbean for my daughter's 16th birthday next summer :)[/QUOTE]

Why don't you forget the charger ...no charge nocalls

[quote name='jaxkai']i

im really interested in learning more about solo cruising, figure its a good way to overcome the empty nest syndrome.

i dont like to eat alone either but hey there is room service lol :)[/quote]

Don't take your meals in your room because you are alone! Ask your PVP or travel agent to put you at a large table. You should get a table for 8 and there might be some couples, but you might have other solos, as well. My friends and I get a table for 4 when there are 3 of us, but when it's just 2 of us I ask for a large table. It's fun to meet people like that (usually:o)

[quote name='SheriNtexas']And ONLY those dressed like Rose and all the other rich people get to eat the "good" food!:D :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's why I always dress well for the MDR, so I can eat the good food.

I would have never gone on a cruise, looking at the total price, and not the value compared to a land vacation. Luckily my DFIL took us on our first cruise, and got me hooked! Less than 30 days till my next cruise! Although it's little, I'll be happy to have my sea legs back!

Archived