Crazy things non cruisers have told you about cruising

Cruiseforfun1

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]My neighbor is about to run out of excuses. At first she said she didn't want to visit a port for just one day.I tell her that's the part I like cause then I go back & see something new next time. Then it was the old "it'll sink!" thing. Now it's "it'll sink & the sharks will eat me!" :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='QuasiTova']IQ has nothing to do with it... if you have no knowledge of something, it is very easy to be "uniformed" of the details.

I happen to be a member of MENSA and I still thought some of these things were true.

Wow, you have a lot of cruises under your belt for not having any vacation time... I find it hard to even take off ONE DAY :(

You can have mine! I get 3 weeks vacation time, but in 5 years, I have never been "able" to take any...

After working 80-95 hours a week for the past year, I am READY for this vacation... and it has definitely been EARNED :)

I am ready to jump on a cruise ship, and just stay there...
after all of the research I have done for this cruise, I told my daughters that I am going to get a job on a cruise ship after the last one moves out (in three years)... lol
[/quote]
I work for Orthopedic Surgeons and do ALL the insurance claims-so when I'm gone, NOONE does them. Anyone else takes off and someone else fills in and they come back and sit down and start answering phones again. When I come back, there are piles and piles and piles of work, plus post it notes all over my desk. I stressed about it for a long time, like, I just can't POSSIBLY take off because I have so much work to do. Now I don't worry about it since they treat me like "that" anyway. I work 50-60 hours/week, but am only PAID for 40....noone is going to remember me for my work, but they WILL remember how happy I was each time I took that first step onto a ship. So the "heck" with them. With age comes wisdom! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Crusin Karen']I work for Orthopedic Surgeons and do ALL the insurance claims-so when I'm gone, NOONE does them. Anyone else takes off and someone else fills in and they come back and sit down and start answering phones again. When I come back, there are piles and piles and piles of work, plus post it notes all over my desk. I stressed about it for a long time, like, I just can't POSSIBLY take off because I have so much work to do. Now I don't worry about it since they treat me like "that" anyway. I work 50-60 hours/week, but am only PAID for 40....noone is going to remember me for my work, but they WILL remember how happy I was each time I took that first step onto a ship. So the "heck" with them. With age comes wisdom! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Your job sounds like mine... not the same type of work, but a very similar work LOAD, and attitude... lol

I cannot even go to the damn doctor for an hour without getting 4 or 5 phone calls from work because someone has a crisis... I expect this place to LITERALLY just fall apart when I am gone for 20 GLORIOUS days!!!!

My GM has already said he is going to make sure I have a cellphone that works in Alaska, but I am hoping he forgets before August lol

This is the FIRST vacation I have taken in 5 years... and like you said, with age comes wisdom... because this past year has made me realize that some things are just more important than work... I plan to start taking more vacations...

Already booked my second cruise to the Caribbean for my daughter's 16th birthday next summer :)

My coworkers and boss thought that I had really saved up for a while to afford my 1st cruise. When I told them that for the money I paid for my cruise/airfare, I couldn't go to downtown Seattle and get a hotel for the same 7 days for the same amount of money they were all shocked!

My friends go "what if you get stuck out in the middle of the ocean...you know if the boat runs out of fuel"

And everyone thinks it's "scary" being surrounded by water on all sides saying you would only go down if the ship sinks. I say "just stay on the main deck...just one flight of stairs up and you'll be in a lifeboat":p

I personally am more afraid of flying. If that crashes, you'd out of luck. If the ship sinks at least you have a lifevest on and you don't have to worry about freezing, but you do have to worry about Jaws and other creatures but that's another story

I get, don't you get tired of going to the same place all the time? They are talking about Cozumel. That is exactly why I do it. To get to Cozumel.

The subject of sharks comes up all the time. I actually will go out of my way looking for sharks and usually can't find them.

Thank you Karen - I didn't want to have to explain that toothbrush thing. Now it is in a link and anyone who doesn't want to scream "EWWWWW" doesn't have to look.

It is funny about those urban legends isn't it. People always know someone who knows someone it happened to.

[quote name='skylock']
The subject of sharks comes up all the time. I actually will go out of my way looking for sharks and usually can't find them.[/quote]

On my last cruise on Ecstasy, during the first sea day, I saw over 30 dolphins leaping and swimming! It was SO cool! It's one thing to see them swimming around in Galveston, but another thing to see them out in the middle of the Gulf! Haven't seen any sharks, though!:D

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]I've asked her why she thinks a shark will target her if there's over 3,000 people puddling around in the water..she had no answer. This is a women that has flown all over Asia & the US. Has been over a lot of water. I just don't see her reasoning.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]We saw dolphins somewhere out there last year. My husband said there were 4 jumping but I only got a glimps of 2 of them. They were so pretty splashing around in that BEAUTIFUL blue water. Ya know ya gatto love blue to cruise![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

My dad likes to warn people about whatever it is they are going to be doing. When we went on our first cruise it was no different. "Make sure and stay away from the front of the ship and the railings, because if it is windy, those waves will knock you right off the ship."

Another one we heard was from a friend of a friend who asked if they went on the cruise, could they maybe stay at Key West and then have the ship stop and pick them up on the way back.

We have also heard the:
-claustrophobic
-nothing to do
-way too expensive
-afraid of water
- don't like being stuck in one place

Bottom line is that most of the people we hear these excuses from will never go anywhere. I am not sure if they are afraid to leave their home, or comfort zone, but they certainly don't know what they are missing and you certainly can't convince them otherwise either.

[quote=jw4jg1mg2eg1;14229769[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#9932cc]We saw dolphins somewhere out there last year. My husband said there were 4 jumping but I only got a glimps of 2 of them. They were so pretty splashing around in that BEAUTIFUL blue water. Ya know ya gatto love blue to cruise![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

One of the coolest things I've ever seen on our last crusie (March 15th Liberty) were flying fish. We sawthem off the catamaran excursion in 'cozumel and then I started looking for them from the rail of the ship as we cruised.
they come up sometimes in groups of 6-10 and fly for quite a distance before going back down. I never got tired of spotting them.

About ten years ago, my wife wanted to go on a cruise. I told her I don't want to be stuck on a ship for a week, I would get bored to death. After I gave in to her suggestion and cruised for the first time, we try to go on one every year. I am cruising on my 9th cruise this coming Sunday.
Live and learn...

:)

My sister told me that her mother in law refused to cruise because she could not afford all the formal gowns she would have to wear to dinner!:p

It is hard to beat cruising as far is value is concerned. We are on a 7 day eastern out of Miami in August for less than $500/pp for an inside. That is less than $75 a day for your cabin, all meals, transportation to other countries and entertainment. Amazing! We take advantage of Carnival's policy and bring a large bottle of wine each. I do a bar setup for one bottle of vodka or rum, that lasts us for the week. We bring cokes and water. We stay away from excusions unless it is a must do, which we'll budget for in advance. Our on board account is never a surprise or more than we were happy paying.

We do land vacations, too. My BIL swears by the Pocono Palace in PA and goes there several times a year. My husband wanted to take us on a little getaway in the winter and his brother convinced him to try this place. We spent $1500 on a 4 night stay with only a sad buffet breakfast and dinner, which was a sit down unlimited surf and turf only on Saturday nite. The room was one of those heart shaped pool and fireplace suites with a champagne cup jacuzzi and round bed:rolleyes: and decor straight out of the 70s. We did a little snow tubing on this lame little hill, snowmobiling (in a big circle, whoopee!:confused: ) and took a horse carriage ride. Big deal. And that was including a discount cause his brother was a "forever lover" LOL. Thank god for that little pool, it was pretty neat. ;)

We could have taken a cruise for that amount of money, for longer amount of time, been fed way better, kept more entertained and had a lot more fun. The cruise lines should consider those little heart shaped pools, though.

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]She asked another one about tendering but I forget what it was. I'll have to ask my Mom and tell you all later.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Ok, I asked my Mom what her co-worker said about tendering before she took her 1st cruise. She asked my Mom wether she would have to pay for the tender to get on and off the ship. :confused: Come on, if you don't have to pay to get on and off at a dock, why would you have to for a tender?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='rsjc']One thing I hear is " I do not want to have to follow their schedule " & " You won't be able to relax because of the schedule "[/quote]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I've heard that one many times.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]My Dad was convinced that he wouldn't like cruising before he even got one one. He used to say that the food was no good, it was to crowded, the cabin were to small and not very nice, there was nothing to do, the people would all be old, etc. :eek: Oh, and he's not the most scocial person in the world (although he is getting much better) so he was afraid of all the people and activities. A conversation with him would alway end up something like this:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Me: How do you know all this?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Dad: Because I do[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Me: Well, have you ever been on a cruise?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Dad: No[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Me: Then how do you know?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Funny thing, he never had an answer to that one!! :D After I did a lot more talking (and showing of pictures, videos, ship's newsletter, etc) he and my Step-Mom tried a 7 day Caribbean on the Golden Princess. Well, they hated it so much that before the even got off that one, they booked a 12 day Meditteranian (sp) on the Grand Princess!! :D

I love my Dad!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='TheCruisingBrewers']ROFL I love that one about the springing a leak... I know with all the talk of global warming some iceberg IS gonna to float into the Caribbean and poke a nasty hole in our ship... Thats why I always stay above those poor criminals and immigrants in steerage. But EVERYONE knows all the fun drinking AND dancing is down there.

It is funny how that very idea drives cabin prices even today.

Now if I could just find Jack... I keep looking.[/quote]

YOU, dont know JACK....???????..let me introduce U 2:D

What I found funny before my first cruise was listening to all of the misinformation from family and friends who had actually [B]cruised before[/B].

I am a big researcher, so I had already researched extensively the details of our cruise on the internet message boards and the Carnival website before booking.

I knew more about cruising than my family and friends who had sailed multiple times lol. :p

• 2 years later...
My cousin loves to travel and he and his wife have an unlimited budget; I asked why they never took a cruise. He said his wife gets seasick. I said I do too but never on a cruise ship. Usually you hardly know you are moving. They have medication for you or you can use a number of options to avoid it. Hello! They still haven't gone. I'm about to take my 39th :-) assuming the Splendor is working by Dec. 12th. Carol in CA
[quote name='Cruiseforfun1']Whe I read the post about not licking the railings on the ship, Ihad to laugh thinking about some of the abusrd things non-cruisers have told me about cruising.

A few years ago, just back from a Carnival cruise my daughters and I were talking at work about our cruise. I have a cleaning company, doing new construction cleaning. One of the superintendents walked by and said incredulously "you guys have gone on a cruise?" When we told him we had gone on several he walked away saying"I didn't know people who were just cleaners could go on cruises!"

and Last month my husband was telling my MIL about our Liberty cruise. He would like to talk her into going with us sometime. He was telling her about the food and said "Mom they have Lobster, lamb, just about any kind of dish you like and really great deserts." and she replied. "Oh you must have been in the really expensive part of the ship because one thing I [I]DO know about cruises is tht they don't give the really good food to the people in the steerage cabins!":cool: [/I][/quote]

[quote name='QuasiTova']This is the FIRST vacation I have taken in 5 years... and like you said, with age comes wisdom... because this past year has made me realize that some things are just more important than work... I plan to start taking more vacations...

Already booked my second cruise to the Caribbean for my daughter's 16th birthday next summer :)[/quote]

This reminds me of my favorite saying:

[COLOR=red]No one has ever lay on their death bed and thought "I wish I would have spent more time at work"[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
Enjoy your vacations !!

Archived