Crazy things non cruisers have told you about cruising

Cruiseforfun1

My MIL is in a nursing home and has severe dementia. When we are going to be gone for awhile we let her know, but I sometimes think when we get back she doesn't even realize we've been gone.

On our last cruise, we told her we were going on a cruise in a few days and would be gone for a week and a half, yada, yada. She started protesting, saying if we wanted to fish from a boat we could do it closer to home, if we wanted to shoot skeet we should do it here, etc. We did finally convince her that it was a good idea for us to take this cruise. BUT.......when we went to see her the next day she looked out the window of her room (in the nursing home) and said.......

"Where is this ship going? I keep seeing the same trees every time I look out the port hole."

[quote name='sassy0930']HAHA!! My dad is always asking me "Hey, can I ask you something without you getting offended??" I always wonder if he's going to tell me not to get married, or ask for some money (which I don't have hahaha) or something. So his question is "So how much are you paying for all of this cruise stuff?"

[/quote]

We have a couple that is going with us on our next cruise in January. They have always wanted to cruise but thought it was expensive ($2000/person). Imagine their surprise when they found out that they could both cruise for less than $1200 TOTAL and they have a balcony room. :D

[quote name='Avril'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Ok, this is a good thread. I'll think about it and see if I can come up with anything else to add!! :D[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Well aint this a familiar name/ face!!!
How are you?
How's the rest of your cruising crew? Mom and aunt???
Missed ya in the piano bar last cruise.
ME

[quote name='MinnesotaFrozen']We've been trying to get some friends to go on a cruise with us for a while. Finally the wife told us "we just don't like being stuck in one place for that long of a time". I think their view was that it was like being locked in a hotel for a week , but "stuck in one place" is not a description that I'd ever use for cruising.[/quote]

The very reason why we love cruising, we are NOT "stuck in one place".

[quote name='Unknotted']My MIL is in a nursing home and has severe dementia. When we are going to be gone for awhile we let her know, but I sometimes think when we get back she doesn't even realize we've been gone.

On our last cruise, we told her we were going on a cruise in a few days and would be gone for a week and a half, yada, yada. She started protesting, saying if we wanted to fish from a boat we could do it closer to home, if we wanted to shoot skeet we should do it here, etc. We did finally convince her that it was a good idea for us to take this cruise. BUT.......when we went to see her the next day she looked out the window of her room (in the nursing home) and said.......

"[B]Where is this ship going? I keep seeing the same trees every time I look out the port hole[/B]."[/QUOTE]
Well at least she didn't get an inside cabin.

[quote name='Lakesilly605er']
We have also heard the:
-claustrophobic
-nothing to do
-way too expensive
-afraid of water
- don't like being stuck in one place

Bottom line is that most of the people we hear these excuses from will never go anywhere. I am not sure if they are afraid to leave their home, or comfort zone, but they certainly don't know what they are missing and you certainly can't convince them otherwise either.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I am claustrophobic. I prefer not to do elevators. When I am on a cruise ship I need a balcony, and preferably a suite. Large crowds are really not my thing, so I need smaller ships. And I need an itinerary with few to no sea days, because on those sea days you are stuck in one place. And yes, this means a cruise is a bit more expensive.

However, the bottom line is it has not stopped me from going anywhere. I've been to over 30 countries on 4 continents. Many of which were landlocked. I've spent weeks in villas in Italy, biked through French countrysides, danced with school children in China, queued for Wimbledon, designed a dress with a tailor in Thailand, and snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef all without a cruise ship. Cruising is not the only way to travel. And it's probably the least efficient way to get to really know a country.

Some rabid cruisers I know are afraid to leave their comfort zone. They don't want to eat dinner in a foreign country. They prefer not to speak to someone who doesn't speak English. They won't deal with currency other than the dollar. They are seeing the world from a deck, with a railing, nice and safely away from that world. One of the advantages of cruising is that it allows you to see the world and not have to experience it. If that's what you are looking for.

[quote name='Unknotted']My MIL is in a nursing home and has severe dementia. When we are going to be gone for awhile we let her know, but I sometimes think when we get back she doesn't even realize we've been gone.

"Where is this ship going? I keep seeing the same trees every time I look out the port hole."[/quote]

I'm in the same position you are. I don't even tell her I'm going but she would be very happy for me if she knew. Sadly, I don't tell her because I never got to take her on a cruise before she got sick. She was my dad's caretaker and wouldn't leave him. Makes me sad to tell her and leave her.

[quote name='cathy_kearns']I've spent weeks in villas in Italy, biked through French countrysides, danced with school children in China, queued for Wimbledon, designed a dress with a tailor in Thailand, and snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef all without a cruise ship. Cruising is not the only way to travel. And it's probably the least efficient way to get to really know a country.

Some rabid cruisers I know are afraid to leave their comfort zone. They don't want to eat dinner in a foreign country. They prefer not to speak to someone who doesn't speak English. They won't deal with currency other than the dollar. They are seeing the world from a deck, with a railing, nice and safely away from that world. One of the advantages of cruising is that it allows you to see the world and not have to experience it. If that's what you are looking for.[/quote]

Many of us on here have traveled outside of cruising but since this is a cruising board we talk about our cruising adventures here.

[quote name='TheRejector']I didn't really think I would like to cruise after all I spent a lot of days on the water thanks to the US Navy, however a few small ammenitys like the MDR or the pool or the water slde or bikinis or even DODs have given me a new perspective. If the Navy would adopt this I would still be in.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]My ex-husband had a similar excuse for not wanting to cruise....30 years in the Marines. Well...that's why he is my[B] ex-husband[/B];)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='cathy_kearns']Interesting. I am claustrophobic. I prefer not to do elevators. When I am on a cruise ship I need a balcony, and preferably a suite. Large crowds are really not my thing, so I need smaller ships. And I need an itinerary with few to no sea days, because on those sea days you are stuck in one place. And yes, this means a cruise is a bit more expensive.

However, the bottom line is it has not stopped me from going anywhere. I've been to over 30 countries on 4 continents. Many of which were landlocked. I've spent weeks in villas in Italy, biked through French countrysides, danced with school children in China, queued for Wimbledon, designed a dress with a tailor in Thailand, and snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef all without a cruise ship. Cruising is not the only way to travel. And it's probably the least efficient way to get to really know a country.

Some rabid cruisers I know are afraid to leave their comfort zone. They don't want to eat dinner in a foreign country. They prefer not to speak to someone who doesn't speak English. They won't deal with currency other than the dollar. They are seeing the world from a deck, with a railing, nice and safely away from that world. One of the advantages of cruising is that it allows you to see the world and not have to experience it. If that's what you are looking for.[/quote]

Whats really sad is that to have friends who don't travel. I have a couple of friends who have not traveled outside this area. I just can't imagine.....

"You've won a cruise"

That is truly the craziest thing a true non-cruiser has said. My poor nanny from the Philippines who doesn't have much money received a mailing yesterday and she actually believed she had won a cruise.

[quote name='skudy']"You've won a cruise"

That is truly the craziest thing a true non-cruiser has said. My poor nanny from the Philippines who doesn't have much money received a mailing yesterday and she actually believed she had won a cruise.[/quote]

Follow up: Actually, "I've won a cruise" is probably worse!

[quote name='Bunkie103']People I work with pay $2500 a week to rent a house at the Jersey shore in the summer (and still have to cook meals and buy food) and think we have a lot of money because we go on a cruise.:rolleyes:[/quote]

Maybe they're like I used to be and think that the cost was the brochure price; I didn't look at cruising again for years! :o:o:o

On our last Inspiration cruise we had a very nice couple from Pittsburgh area on their first cruise. My wife and I usually order two or three appetizers each plus the entree - depending on the selections that night. I am a fan of the shrimp cocktail!!

I think we had casually said something about being able to order multiples, but it didn't seem to sink in until night three when the light bulb went off in the husband's head and he ordered a couple of entrees and appetizers.

Always nice to help out new cruisers!!!

Archived