Is it OK to tip with ????

buckspc

Canadian Money on an Alaska Cruise? I spent 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies last year and have some left, for example the room service steward. I have lots of the $2 dollar coins that would be just right for the morning service. Thanks alot, Buck

Canadian Money on an Alaska Cruise? I spent 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies last year and have some left, for example the room service steward. I have lots of the $2 dollar coins that would be just right for the morning service. Thanks alot, Buck

I wouldn't. You want to make it convenient for those service people to spend that money. They are then going to say the same as you 'what am I going to do with it?' Besides, right now the US dollar is worth slightly more than the Cdn. dollar.

Michael, that was a month ago. Right now it's about .97 :)

For the OP, use U.S. currency. In addition, Loonies and Toonies are a pain in the butt for anyone outside of Canada to exchange.

I agree with the above. They are clumsy, heavy and a nuisance. Same with the loonies. Pay with paper. I hope the US does not change any time soon. They are lousy for tipping. Paper is much more impressive and easier to handle for the recipient.

They sure weigh a lot too, those darn coins and the toony looks like a bigger penny.

I would recommend that you use your Canadian money for tips when or if you are ashore in Canada but the ship's crew would very much prefer US money. If you do happen to be sailing in or out of Vancouver you could exchange your CDN money back into US money at a bank or currency exhange either downtown or at the airport...alternately you could email it to me!;)

Archived