stingraysailing.com? Anyone use?

MasonsMom

My family of 4 used stingraysailing off of the Legend in June and loved every minute of it. We were the first ones to meet Chip at Royal Watler and he directed us to a place that we would meet in 30 minutes (we found him an hour before the original meeting time) to see how many folks he could find that had registered.

After a short van ride we boarded the Far Tortuga and were off! It's about a 30 minute ride out to the stingray sandbar. When we got there it was very crowded so Chip decided we'd go to the coral reef first (it's only about a 5 minute ride away).

You could tell that Chip and the crew cared about everyone having a good time. Chip's dad was also on this trip and all of the crew mingled with the passengers. We had a great talk with one of the guys and the island. I forget his name but he had a great sense of humor. Even Chip walked around the catamaran talking to various folks.

The reef and the stingrays were awesome! One of the crew got everyone in a circle in the water and got a smaller ray to show up how to hold them and how to get them to 'kiss' you.

We had plenty of time with the rays. I do wish we had been able to spend more time at the reef, but overall I couldn't imagine any tour going as well as our's did.

We will use stingraysailing again!

We also used Stingraysailing.com during our cruise on Carnival Freedom. Chip was very professional, and even waited awhile for a group that got the time wrong. But after they didn't show up, he made sure the rest of us (who were on time) got the most of our tour and went without them.

Chip's crew was great--very entertaining and knowledgeable about the stingrays and snorkeling, and they made sure to keep everyone safe and happy.

We had a great time!

With all the great reviews, I also booked with Chip for our December trip with Disney. It will be DH, me, and my inlaws. So far, it seems we are the only ones on the excursion! There were still 28 spaces available when we confirmed yesterday.

I'm really looking forward to this excursion. My DH LOVES stingrays and our favorite part of Discovery Cove is the stingray lagoon, more than the dlolphin swim. This will be our first exposure to "wild" stingrays. The pictures we've seen of Stingray City are amazing.

• 1 month later...

We did our excursion with Stingray Sailing last week and it was great!! From the beginning, they couldn't have been more friendly or professional. Michelle was great with prompt information and handling of the reservations. Chip met us right at the port terminal as planned. We had 11 in our group and there was only a few other families. After a short ride we arrived at the catamaran which was very nice. The kids loved laying on the trampoline. Chip and his entire crew were great. We felt very safe and were well taken care of. Mark was very informative and comforting when some of us were "a little" afraid of the stingrays :) At the reef, he took our 5 y/o old and our friends 8 y/o out to see the fish. They were scared and he had them hang on to the lifering and he took them out to the reef. My son hasn't stopped taking about seeing "Bikini Bottom" (Sponge Bob)!!

They put up the sails for a leisurely ride back and we enjoyed a few beers!

We got back at approx 1230 Cayman time, which was 130 ship time so we didn't have much time to look around the shops because we had to catch the last tenders by 200. This was not stingray sailings fault, just a bummer that we didn't have more time in this beautiful port.

Would not hesitate to recommend this at all. We have done this excursion through the cruise ship 10 years ago and Stingray sailing blew away that experience. This was much more personal and very enjoyable!

We did our excursion with Stingray Sailing last week and it was great!! From the beginning, they couldn't have been more friendly or professional. Michelle was great with prompt information and handling of the reservations. Chip met us right at the port terminal as planned. We had 11 in our group and there was only a few other families. After a short ride we arrived at the catamaran which was very nice. The kids loved laying on the trampoline. Chip and his entire crew were great. We felt very safe and were well taken care of. Mark was very informative and comforting when some of us were "a little" afraid of the stingrays :) At the reef, he took our 5 y/o old and our friends 8 y/o out to see the fish. They were scared and he had them hang on to the lifering and he took them out to the reef. My son hasn't stopped taking about seeing "Bikini Bottom" (Sponge Bob)!!

They put up the sails for a leisurely ride back and we enjoyed a few beers!

We got back at approx 1230 Cayman time, which was 130 ship time so we didn't have much time to look around the shops because we had to catch the last tenders by 200. This was not stingray sailings fault, just a bummer that we didn't have more time in this beautiful port.

Would not hesitate to recommend this at all. We have done this excursion through the cruise ship 10 years ago and Stingray sailing blew away that experience. This was much more personal and very enjoyable!

Thanks for posting this...always good to read more good reviews on an excursion that we have already booked! :) We are going out with them of a morning so it sounds like we will have quite a bit of time in port once we get back. Were the beers fairly reasonably priced? Did they have other drinks that are more "fruity"? thanks!

The beers were $5, our day they had Coors, Red Stripe and Heinekin. They also have pop. Water is free. No rum punch or margaritas! They might be able to get some wine coolers for you if you request it.

Hope you have a great time :)

The beers were $5, our day they had Coors, Red Stripe and Heinekin. They also have pop. Water is free. No rum punch or margaritas! They might be able to get some wine coolers for you if you request it.

Hope you have a great time :)

Great, good to know! Was wishing for margaritas but maybe a wine cooler instead..I will ask them. I am sure we will have a great time! Thanks!

We also did the stingray excursion in GRand Cayman with Stingraysailing.com last week - it was amazing. Great emails from Michelle in advance - she was very helpful answering our questions, but I was still somewhat apprehensive as this was the first private tour we had ever taken. On the day we had no trouble finding Chip at the pier, and although we had to wait too long for some no-shows, the trip went off without a hitch. Chip, Buster and the rest of the guys on the catameran were great - knowledgeable, experienced, and happy to chat and answer people's questions. The catameran was fantastic, and we loved, loved, loved coming back in with the sails up. The trip out is a good 20-30 mins (motored out, sailed back in), but the bay is shallow - apparently only 10-12 feet deep the whole way. One of the crew helps "introduce" you to the rays - he was great with all of us, which was terrific because 2 of the 4 of us were pertty intimidated by all the stingrays swimming around us. But the crew were great, patient and encouraging, and helped us to hold the rays and feed them. No big pressure to buy the photos they took - we did get some and they were fantastic. All in all, a great day, and definitely a highlight of our trip! We would definitely recommend this outfit and would go again in a hearbeat. Enjoy creating some great memories!!:)

• 5 months later...

Our family of 13 with ages 9 months to 73 years did the Sting Ray Sailing Feb. 9, 2011. It was an incredable experience for all on us. The 9 month old wasn't charged but the rest had a great experience with the sting rays and with the snorkeling afterward. Since they didn't have any tour in the afternoon, they gave us additional time snorkeling.

this is definately the way to do the tour with no more than 29 aboard. You get individual attention and they really look after you.

they will also drop you off at 7 mile beach after the tour. highly recommended

Orsba,

Thanks for your post. will be taking this tour in only two weeks! Can't believe is already here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

You won't be disapointed.Especially after I seen how full the ship sponsored tours are. i felt sorry for them as it was standing room only.Chip and Michelle are the best.

Thinking of booking this excursion for me and my mom. Does anyone know what time the excursion leaves? We are in port from 7:30-4:30 ship time arriving on the Carnival Liberty. Will we have enough time to get back to the ship? And does anyone know the time difference between ship time and local time?

Thinking of booking this excursion for me and my mom. Does anyone know what time the excursion leaves? We are in port from 7:30-4:30 ship time arriving on the Carnival Liberty. Will we have enough time to get back to the ship? And does anyone know the time difference between ship time and local time?

You will have lots of time. Just email them and ask them what time as it differs depending on when you get in for times.We arrived at 9 till 5 i think and we were on the catamran by 10:45 or so.We did not meet till 10 am as you never get off the ship right at the time they have posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I first sailed with Chip and Michelle in March of 2009. Had such a great time that I booked it again for March 2, 2011 and brought my adult daughters along. Once again had a wonderful time. A very relaxed, laid back adventure. Chip is very knowledgeable about the ecology of the area and makes sure you are respectful of the environment. We had plenty of time with both the stingrays and snorkeling (which was awesome!) and were back to the ship in plenty of time. They adjust their schedule depending on when your ship arrives so you may have the morning or afternoon time depending. You won't be disappointed!

Booked this on-line and from day one, they were pleasant and helpful. Found them easily once we docked and we walked over to their bus and were off. The drive to the excursion was fun and informative and Michelle was always available with a quick answer. Once we arrived, the catamaran was clean and Chip even put up a shade screen as were travelling with some young children (and already sunburned parents!). We left within minutes of arriving (something you don't see with the ship excursions). The experience with the stingrays was amazing and we had plenty of time in the water with them. The snorkeling afterwards was great and we saw plenty of brightly colored fish. On the way back, Chip put up the sails and we sat on the trampoline and sailed back to shore. I was comfortable enough to let the kids walk around freely but they just wanted to sit on the trampoline and watch the water. Chip made sure he spoke to everyone on the excursion and that everyone was happy. He also served watermelon and the best fresh pineapple I've ever tasted!

Later on back on the ship, our group of 12 couldn't stop talking about the excursion and how we all will be remembering this day in the weeks to come, once we are back at our hectic jobs. It has become our mantra at home "remember cayman, remember cayman" whenever we get stressed.

We are planning another cruise for next year and will only look at cruises that stop in Cayman Islands just so we can experience this excursion again!

Im so glad this thread was bumped back up..i was looking for answers to this exact question about the time difference on the island and ship in May. They told me at stingraysailing that it will be an hour different possible..i assume that if it is 8:30 island time, that will be 9:30 ship time and i will have no problem getting to the pier on time..am i right?

And does anyone know the time difference between ship time and local time?

They are on the same time as Miami. for now. I think they dont to DST so its different at times. Just happens to be the same as Miami this time.

I think they are -5 GMT

Oh Ya,Stingraysailing.com and our day with the Stingrays was by far our best excursion ever. We will go back on day and hopefully Chip and michelle are still doing tours on thier catamaran.its is the best. here are a couple of vids from Febuary 2011 while in port on the Glory.The guy in the water that looks like the guitar player from ZZTop is Chip. Born and raised in GC so he knows his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kADRJmILCB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8P0BLb6Vm0

Just checked the docking time for our Carnival Liberty in December 2011. The Port Authority in Grand Cayman lists the ship arriving at 10am. I don't think we will be able to make the stingraysailing.com trip unfortunately. We may be forced to take the one offered by the cruise line.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other companies so we can avoid the masses from the cruise line offering?:confused:

Archived