stingraysailing.com? Anyone use?

MasonsMom

Just checked the docking time for our Carnival Liberty in December 2011. The Port Authority in Grand Cayman lists the ship arriving at 10am. I don't think we will be able to make the stingraysailing.com trip unfortunately. We may be forced to take the one offered by the cruise line.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other companies so we can avoid the masses from the cruise line offering?:confused:

If you can't make the stingraysailing one how are you going to make the others ??They are pretty well all starting around the same time. They will wait for you as you won't be the only ones going. they give you a certain time so you try and get there on time but they know not everyone will be there so they have a plan.Don't worry and relax you will get on the tour.

Would like to hear reviews, good or bad, about stingraysailing.com. Are they reputable? Looks like a more private boat vs. Capt Marvins? We are sailing the Conquest in Jan 09 and trying to get everything budgeted and wrapped up now.

Thanks in advance!

Of all our cruises (7) this was my all time best excursion ever. There were just 8 of us first off, versus tons on all the other boats. And what a blast it was. Stopped at some Island and had fabulous nachos and Mudslides, yummy. The Stingrays were just amazing, do not miss them.

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/StingrayCityWaveRunnerAdventure.htm

just wondering how much tip do you give for 4 people going on the stingray excursion??

Had a great time! Chip and Buster were wonderful! I think we tipped $5 pp, they didn't ask for it like the people in Jamaica. Kelley

Thinking of booking this excursion for me and my mom. Does anyone know what time the excursion leaves? We are in port from 7:30-4:30 ship time arriving on the Carnival Liberty. Will we have enough time to get back to the ship? And does anyone know the time difference between ship time and local time?

Hi Regina,

We will be traveling with you guys on the liberty. We just booked this yesterday. It doesn't sound like there will be a whole lot of time after the tour because of the hour time differences. Hope to see you there!:)

• 4 weeks later...

This excursion far exceeded our expectations on so many levels! Chip was very personable and we never felt like we were on a giant tour that was crammed in like sardines! The catamaran was clean and had complimentary bottled water. Chip and his father Buster were the two that took us out to the sandbar, and they were extremely hospitable.

We had a relaxing ride out there, and when we arrived at the sandbar we were free to jump in after anchor was set. Chip gave us a brief example of how to approach a stingray, then he showed us. He had squid for us to feed the rays and snorkels, masks, fins and life jackets to use if you wanted to (however at the sandbar it is only 3 feet deep). The rays came right up to us, the best way I can describe them is they are the labradors of the ocean. Friendly and gentle. It was an unbelievable experience! We even had the opportunity to hold them after Chip showed us how. Our kids were 6 and 18 at the time of this trip and they both had a fantastic time and would love to go back again!

We got back on board the catamaran and Chip pulled up and set anchor near a beatuiful coral reef in about 6-11 feet of water. You could pick a mask and snorkel with fins and go snorkeling or you could sit on the catamaran and soak up the sun. I chose snorkeling and got some of the best under-water pictures, better than I expected!

Our trip back was slow and relaxing, very much like the trip out, but Chip had fresh fruit for us to munch on and he also had cold beer to purchase.

Again I can't say how personable the tour was, I felt like I was spending the day with someone I had known for years and we were just out to either relax in the sun, snorkel, feed some stingrays, or all three!

This tour was the least expensive stingray/snorkeling tour we could find that also allowed kids age 6 to snorkel, and we were so glad we chose this one! We loved it so much we tipped Chip and Buster an extra $50 for our party of 4.

Just Awesome Awesome Awesome! :)

We just had a great trip with Chip and his crew too! In April, Grand Cayman is an hour behind, so it was no trouble meeting him by 8:15. We were actually ready to go at 7:45 (which was 8:45 on the ship) and so was everyone else in our group (21 people all together), so once we met, we headed out early! Amazing day. I would highly recommend this trip!!!

For those concened about the times for this excursion. Here is what they emailed me back when I asked for info from them.

Our shore time at GC will be 10am to 6pm on a Friday. and we will be on FL time (1 hr ahead) so that meand 9am - 5pm GC time.

This sounds like a fun tour.:)

"We offer two tours; our afternoon tour would not have you back to the cruise ship facility in time to catch your last tender so the morning tour would be your only option. To join this tour we would ask you to please meet our representative on the Royal Watler Cruise Ship Terminal at 10:15 am local time, which may or may not be the same time as your ships time. Our trip will depart promptly at 10:30 am. The Cayman Islands do not observe daylight saving and remain on the same time year round; we are 5 hours behind GMT. There are three cruise ship terminals located in George Town; they are all on the same block within 5 minutes walk from each other.

Your tour would have you back to the terminal, or anywhere along Seven Mile Beach south of the Yacht Club no later than 2:30 pm. Please ensure that your cruise ships itinerary allows you enough time to disembark and that our return time allows you enough time to catch your last tender before confirming a reservation with us"

• 2 weeks later...

We used Stingray Sailing last week on May 5th and it was amazing. Chip was rellay cool and we had a blast. I was so happy I picked this group especially after seeing Moby Dicks boat and how crowded it was. The catamaran ride was awesome and they even gave us free fruit for the way back.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this excursion also. My husband and I both agree that this was our best port day on the cruise, mainly because of this trip and Chip and Buster, and Im sorry but I dont remember the camera mans name. He was awesome, showing us how to hold the sting rays and they will take pictures of each person with one, in case you dont have a camera with you. They sell them to you for $20 i think..put them on a cd for you, but we had our camera with us so didnt actually buy one. The catamaran was awesome, nice and relaxing slow ride out to the sand bar and back. There is lots of shaded seats if you want to be out of the sun, but you can also sit or lay out on front of the boat to get the sun. After they took you to a nice coral reef not far away to snorkel. My husband did but i chose to stay onboard and soak up more sun. We had plenty of time , met at 8:15 which was 9:15 ship time and i think we were back at the port by 1 or so ship time, so we headed over to Margaritaville for lunch and drinks..right across from the port. We did tip them..think $5 or $10. They have a little treasure chest bank on board but it is up to you..i noticed that some did and some didnt..no pressure at all. Free water and fresh fruit on way back in..beers were $5 i think. All in all an EXCELLENT day in the Caymans !!

we are booked on stringraysailing for next week - just wondering if you have to tip them. We already paid for the excursion. Thanks.

Do you ever HAVE to tip anyone? :rolleyes:

Most people tip based on how happy they are with the service they are provided.

No you don't have to tip them, they have a small lock box that you CAN tip into if you want. Honestly, I tipped and no one even saw me put money in that box, but that's not the point. My family and I were extremely happy with the service that Chip and his crew provided so we chose to tip.

That being said, have you ever been forced to tip anyone, other than +15 at a restaurant?

• 1 year later...

We used Stingray Sailing for our tour in Grand Cayman last week and they were absolutely EXCELLENT! Our party of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids) was on board with one other couple, so we basically had a private tour.

When we first arrived off our cruise ship, Chip met us right away. He drove us in an air conditioned van to the catamaran. There, we met Buster (Chip’s dad) and Mark (photographer and stingray educator). Everyone was professional and kind.

The trip out to Stingray City was beautiful. There is a hammock-type area in the front of the boat was a great place to take in the gorgeous scenery. I really liked how Mark was patient with us in showing us all about the rays, letting us get comfortable with the creatures, and finding other cool sea creatures (hound fish, conch, etc) to show to us as well. There was such a relaxed atmosphere with the crew of Stingray Sailing – we were really allowed to take our time. Since we had arrived early, it wasn’t too crowded at first. As more boats, packed with people, started to arrive at Stingray City, Chip took us a little bit further out to the coral reef to do some snorkeling. Again, we were allowed to go at our own pace and take our time. My husband lost his sunglasses while snorkeling, and Chip was very gracious in helping find them (which he did!)

We were offered complimentary fruit and bottled water, and there was soda and beer for purchase. Everyone in our group had a fantastic time! It was the absolute perfect day for our family, and if we are lucky enough to get back to Grand Cayman in the future, we will book another tour with Stingray Sailing, no questions. I highly recommend Stingray Sailing for anyone who would like a less crowded, more personal, amazing tour of Stingray City and snorkeling.

• 2 months later...

We are cruising IOS February 2014, and have booked Stingray Sailings after reading so many great reviews! Really looking forward to Chip and the experience. Michelle promptly replied to my emails as expected.

I'm wondering about the photographer. For those of you who have already done this tour, was there a photographer? We would really like to have some nice shots of the kids with the stingrays and we were wondering what your experience has been. thanks!

I'm wondering about the photographer. For those of you who have already done this tour, was there a photographer? We would really like to have some nice shots of the kids with the stingrays and we were wondering what your experience has been. thanks!

Yes, there was a photographer and he put the pictures on a disc if you choose to buy it. Sorry, not sure how much it was.

Archived