packing tips?

dcchick

i am looking at other boards and not seeing one specifically on packing.

our first cruise is in two weeks..any tips to make the three day tip easier? i am already leaving the hair dryer and zillon pairs of shoes at home but looking for some cruise specific stuff as I know the rooms are very small.

i have a big beach bag i was planning on using as a purse/towel holder...(no fanny pack for me please)

Congrats on your first cruise. I see a hook, line and sinker coming :D . You will be a full addict. There are lots of threads on packing. With the search down they will be hard to find. You sound as if you are on the right course. The smartist thing is leaving the shoes at home. 3 pair is all you need. Tennis shoes, sandles and your dress shoes. Do not take a "selection" of items like lipsticks and perfumes. If you "think" you will need it, you probably won't. Take only what you will need. My big not forget is gas-x~~~~all that good eatin will give ya...well you get the picture. I also take some tylenol pm. Port days can be hard on the body. A hot shower and a tylenol pm can really prepare you for the next day. You are on a short 3 nighter so you can pack as not to re-wear any clothing. For future cruises, and there will be future cruises, I have found reversible sun dresses. Knocks out 2 nights with one dress. Not quite sure what you are looking for but I hope I have helped.

You will be able to wear some things more than once--for instance--shorts I wear to breakfast are worn several times--after all, they're only on for a few minutes, then it's into a bathing suit!

For 3 days, you don't need many shoes!!! Flip-flops for the pool, or ambling around the port town, and a pair of dress shoes for the formal night. Perhaps a more casual pair for the other evenings.

Unfortunately, make-up and personal care products can't really be reduced--you still want to look good, even if it IS a short cruise!

The rooms have plenty of storage, so bring what you need!

For a three day cruise you can truly fit everthing into a carry-on size rollaboard (one for each person) and a carry on (for valuabes, etc) apiece - You can use your beach bag for this - put your purse, etc inside too. Wear aboard something you'd be comfortable in for dinner (ex. sundress for women, dockers and Hawaiian or Polo shirt for men). Put a bathing suit in your carry on so you can change if you're luggage takes a while to get to your cabin.

Keep ti simple and have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

You will be in swim suits 70% of the time. No need to pack 8 changes of clothes...be sure to pack one formal outfit (I personally dont like formal nights, but the food like lobster, is always better, so its worth it for that alone).

I would bring a small first aid kit/medicicne as it is expensive on board and in port, unless you bought trip insurance. Even then, I bring one anyway as getting access to over the counter stuff usually proves difficult....

Bring some sort of seasickness aid, like the band....you never know if youll need it (like in a bad storm).

Other than that, a ship is no different that a beach front hotel. I know people who pack basically everything they own for a 7 night cruise, then my wife and I combined pack 1 bag total.....so its all in how you travel and how often. Youll find that seasoned travelers pack lighter.

Oh, and don't forget the sunscreen!

Actually, I need to make one note about my posting.

A lot will depend on which line and ship you are on. Carnival is more laid back, Celebrety is very formal. So be aware of how your ship will operate.

On Carnival for example, I just wear my swim suit everywhere....not supposed to, but no one says anything about it.

On Celebrity, you will need a tux...

It all depends

Actually, I need to make one note about my posting.

A lot will depend on which line and ship you are on. Carnival is more laid back, Celebrety is very formal. So be aware of how your ship will operate.

On Carnival for example, I just wear my swim suit everywhere....not supposed to, but no one says anything about it.

On Celebrity, you will need a tux...

It all depends

That's not true, you will not need a tux on Celebrity. I would say they are more conservative. Sailed with them the past 3 years. Although my hubby packs his tux, we see many suits and sportcoats. The one thing you don't see is ragedy denim cut off skirts like I saw in November on Carnival! LOL!

If it's a 3 day, the OP is not sailing with Celebrity! Here's what I do: get out what you think you will need, then select outfits for each day, mix and match. If it's not comfortable, don't take it. I use basic colors, black and brown, then mix tops for each. For two weeks, I take 4 pairs shorts, 2 bathing suits, 3 pairs of slacks, 4 skirts and an assortment of t-shirts/blouses. For a 3 day, people are right, you should only need one bag! Happy cruising!

Is there a way to pack our formal clothes, other than a garment bag? It seems that I have seen this on a thread before, but can't remember how they did it, without wrinkling the clothes. Would like to carry as little as possible. :confused:

Is there a way to pack our formal clothes, other than a garment bag? It seems that I have seen this on a thread before, but can't remember how they did it, without wrinkling the clothes. Would like to carry as little as possible. :confused:

OOPS DOUBLE POST.

We have a garment bag..but if you dont have one you can also us a dress bag from any store or a dry cleaning bag works the same....gently fold in half and lay on the top of your suitcase to prevent wrinkles..... happy packing!

• 2 weeks later...

After a three segment flight to our embarkation city, we thought we were home free on the luggage deal. Alas, the cruise line lost all 4 of our bags. When we finally got 2 of our 4 bags on the third day of the cruise, we were thankful that we had cross packed, i.e. spread my DH and my own clothes through each bag. That way neither of us were totally without things to wear. Another couple on our same cruise had the same experience we did and did not employe this technique...the gal had nothing to wear the whole week other than what she was wearing when she got on board or bought in port.

Her DH had his whole wardrobe!!!

By the way, we got our other two bags back, one in the airport on the return trip home, the other showed up 2 days after we got home! :o)

Archived