Book another cruise onboard?

Abby Ruth

We're planning to book another Celebrity cruise for 2009. We're ready to book, but are thinking of waiting until we're on our May 29 cruise. On both Cunard and HAL, which are the lines we've been on before, there were incentives for booking while onboard.

What does Celebrity do? Is it worth it to wait and book while we're onboard the Century next month? Or doesn't it matter and we should just go ahead and do it now?

There is incentive to book a future cruise while on a cruise. Celebrity , however, seems to be in flux about the amount of incentive. In the past it was based on length of cruise. Currently it is based on cost of cruise. But there have been reports on these boards that some recent cruisers got incentives based on length. You can book almost all RCI cruises (RCCL & Celebrity) while on board an RCI ship. I recently got $200 while on an RCCL ship toward a Celebrity cruise.:)

There is incentive to book a future cruise while on a cruise. Celebrity , however, seems to be in flux about the amount of incentive. In the past it was based on length of cruise. Currently it is based on cost of cruise. But there have been reports on these boards that some recent cruisers got incentives based on length. You can book almost all RCI cruises (RCCL & Celebrity) while on board an RCI ship. I recently got $200 while on an RCCL ship toward a Celebrity cruise.:)

Thanks for your reply. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they're offering. When we were on a HAL cruise last year, I think the incentive was a very low down payment and perhaps some OBC. The cruise we have in mind is not until October 2009 on the Equinox, so I don't think they'll be sold out by late May or early June when we'll be on our cruise.

OK here is the deal:

Cruise Fare - Onboard Credit

$1-$2499 - $50

$2500-$3999 - $100

$4000-$5999 - $150

$6000-$7499 - $200

$7500 + - $300

It is based on the total cruise-only fare and is a per stateroom credit.

Bodger

OK here is the deal:

Cruise Fare - Onboard Credit

$1-$2499 - $50

$2500-$3999 - $100

$4000-$5999 - $150

$6000-$7499 - $200

$7500 + - $300

It is based on the total cruise-only fare and is a per stateroom credit.

Bodger

That works for us. Thanks.

Honestly I think it's not all about the OBC.We had a tA tell us we would always get the best price while booking onboard.In April 2007 we booked a Hawaii cruise for Nov. 2008 while on another cruise. Today if we booked our cruise it would cost us $2000.00 more.It also happened to be the week that cruise was first released.Timing is everything.We booked an Alaskan cruise last week for May 2009 while not on a cruise.I still think we will see a huge difference in price due to booking when the cruise was first posted.

Honestly I think it's not all about the OBC.We had a tA tell us we would always get the best price while booking onboard.In April 2007 we booked a Hawaii cruise for Nov. 2008 while on another cruise. Today if we booked our cruise it would cost us $2000.00 more.It also happened to be the week that cruise was first released.Timing is everything.We booked an Alaskan cruise last week for May 2009 while not on a cruise.I still think we will see a huge difference in price due to booking when the cruise was first posted.

I don't know if it's the way Celebrity always does things or if it's the current economy, but our May cruise had three or four price reductions (including a senior discount for a while) since we booked. And Celebrity let us take advantage of the price reductions even after we had paid in full. Now that the cruise is only 41 days away, prices have gone up slightly and no more senior discount. While the price was at the lowest we upgraded from veranda to concierge class. Some people from our roll call went all the way to suites. So whatever price we book at won't necessarily stick. It sounds to me like we should stick to our plan to book the Oct. 2009 cruise while we're on a cruise. Can't hurt and I don't think we have to worry about it being sold out that far in advance.

We're planning to book another Celebrity cruise for 2009. We're ready to book, but are thinking of waiting until we're on our May 29 cruise. On both Cunard and HAL, which are the lines we've been on before, there were incentives for booking while onboard.

What does Celebrity do? Is it worth it to wait and book while we're onboard the Century next month? Or doesn't it matter and we should just go ahead and do it now?

While on Summit's recent Trans Atlantic we booked a 10 day Constellation cruise to the Caribbean in January. Our OBC for the 10 day cruise, booking through Celebrity, would have been $100. This amount was based on the price of the cruise, not the length. A CruCon rep was on board; by using her we got a $200 credit from Celebrity and a $150 credit from CruCon; we also own RCL stock so when we finally board we'll have $550 credit. Plus, if the price decreases we get that benefit also.

If your cruise is some distance away and you know what cabin you want, book now. When on board, book again (new booking, 2nd deposit) and when you get home cancel the first booking and switch cabins on the new booking. This way you get the OBC because the booking was made while on board but you get the cabin the you desired. You fronted a 2nd deposit for a few days as the only downside. The whole cancel and switching cabins can be done in one phone call.

While on Summit's recent Trans Atlantic we booked a 10 day Constellation cruise to the Caribbean in January. Our OBC for the 10 day cruise, booking through Celebrity, would have been $100. This amount was based on the price of the cruise, not the length. A CruCon rep was on board; by using her we got a $200 credit from Celebrity and a $150 credit from CruCon; we also own RCL stock so when we finally board we'll have $550 credit. Plus, if the price decreases we get that benefit also.

We always book directly with the cruise line, but I just looked on CruCon's website and they have our upcoming cruise for $340pp less for a CC room than we're paying. I guess because it's coming up so soon. They don't have our far off October 2009 cruise.

Anyway, back to the topic, you did well!

If your cruise is some distance away and you know what cabin you want, book now. When on board, book again (new booking, 2nd deposit) and when you get home cancel the first booking and switch cabins on the new booking. This way you get the OBC because the booking was made while on board but you get the cabin the you desired. You fronted a 2nd deposit for a few days as the only downside. The whole cancel and switching cabins can be done in one phone call.

That might make sense if I knew what cabin I want. But it's a new ship and I know what area I want, not a specific cabin, but it's also a big ship and over a year and a half away and I don't think I'll lose anything by waiting until we're on board. I'll keep those logistics in mind for future reference though.

Did the Crucon rep explain why the Celebrity credit jumped from $100 to $200? Did the docs you received actually say the portion of the Celebrity credit was $200? This is the first I've heard that third parties can increase the amount of the Celebrity OBC.

Would both bookings need to be made thru Celebrity?

So you can't just put a deposit down on a future cruise and choose which cruise it is later? You actually have to BOOK the specific cruise on board? :confused:

You can also buy a Celebrity Passages certificate for $100 that will entitle you to OBC's without making an actual reservation. You get a booking number with the certificate that you later turn into an actual reservation. Just did that on the Summit TA. Only question is if there are any advantages to either approach.

They have a new program called Passages that will allow you a discounted deposit and choose the cruise you want later. OBC amount is based on the total amount of the cost of the booking. I was also told that there was no expiration date on the deposit and that it was fully refundable.

They have a new program called Passages that will allow you a discounted deposit and choose the cruise you want later. OBC amount is based on the total amount of the cost of the booking. I was also told that there was no expiration date on the deposit and that it was fully refundable.

I thought the $100 deposit was lost if you cancelled your booking.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Okay, help me here!

We booked 15 day Hawaii cruise while on board Galaxy Jan. 2008. At the time we received $100.00 OBC..not $250.00 as some have stated. I have read different things on these threads about OBC and have called Captain Club twice and get the same answer. $100.00 OBC for 14 day plus cruise!

Can anybody help with answers?

dmk, I went back to check my notes, I was told that it could be applied to any RCCL, X, or Azamara cruise at anytime and had no expiration date. I didn't have in my notes that it was refundable but I do remember the agent saying that. With that said, since I don't have it in writing I may be wrong about the refund.

Beth, we also got the $100 OBC for the Hawaii cruise but we paid in the range stated below. I have noticed that the price of the cruise has gone up over 700 per person for our cat.

Interesting aside; I have two booked cruises on X with $200 OBC for each cruise of 14 days. But I booked on an RCCL cruise where the future cruise program is based on length of cruise. Sure hope X goes back to this program.

The future cruise certificate program on RCCL did have a forfiture penalty and an expiration time if I am not mistaken. While they are not the same program they come from one head so I would check the fine print of the Celebrity program. I hate surprises that cost me money.:o

Not trying to be disrespectful but this doesn't make sense. Can a person book a future cruise onboard, get an immediate onboard credit, pay reduced deposit, get off the ship decide they want to cancel and get their deposit back. Essentially getting a free unpenalized onboard credit?

If this is true, I'm booking for the biggest OBC I can get on my next cruise.

Cheers,

Not trying to be disrespectful but this doesn't make sense. Can a person book a future cruise onboard, get an immediate onboard credit, pay reduced deposit, get off the ship decide they want to cancel and get their deposit back. Essentially getting a free unpenalized onboard credit?

If this is true, I'm booking for the biggest OBC I can get on my next cruise.

Cheers,

Spamwhiches, I believe that the OBC is for the future cruise, not the one you're on booking it. Nothing's really free.

Okay, help me here!

We booked 15 day Hawaii cruise while on board Galaxy Jan. 2008. At the time we received $100.00 OBC..not $250.00 as some have stated. I have read different things on these threads about OBC and have called Captain Club twice and get the same answer. $100.00 OBC for 14 day plus cruise!

Can anybody help with answers?

The OBC you receive (booking onboard) is based upon the total price of your cabin. It's not based on how many days your particular cruise is.

Archived