Thinking of cancelling my cruise to Mexico!!

Goobergirl

My hubby and I are booked on a cruise in December to Cozumel. I am an animal lover and after reading posts concerning the treatment of the horses there I am seriously thinking of going to the Bahamas instead. I am afraid I would wind up in a Mexican jail for berating the owners of the horses. My question is, has anyone seen mistreatment of the animals? Could I get off the ship and go about my business without having to see the horses? Are there starving dogs? I really need to know because I could not enjoy my vacation after seeing anything horrible and would hate to bring those memories home with me. Thanks for any info!!

My hubby and I are booked on a cruise in December to Cozumel. I am an animal lover and after reading posts concerning the treatment of the horses there I am seriously thinking of going to the Bahamas instead. I am afraid I would wind up in a Mexican jail for berating the owners of the horses. My question is, has anyone seen mistreatment of the animals? Could I get off the ship and go about my business without having to see the horses? Are there starving dogs? I really need to know because I could not enjoy my vacation after seeing anything horrible and would hate to bring those memories home with me. Thanks for any info!!

Honestly...I have been to both places. You will see these horses in Bahamas before you see them in Cozumel. Cozumel had more stray dogs...but horses were wayyyyyyy worse in Bahamas in my opinion. If you don't cancel your cruise...sneak some crackers off the ship (or alike) for the stray dogs. I've seen ppl do that before.

Just DON'T ever go to Ochos Rios. I left depressed. I completely understand what you mean by coming home with memories. The poor stray dogs, the way they were treated by the locals was so awful. If my cruiseship ever docks there, I will not get off. It really was sad.

in cozumel, we got off the boat, grabbed a taxi...i think one of the horse drawn carriages went by, didn't see it was any worse then the ones in memphis or new orleans. got to the resort beach ...nachi cocom...no animals there, just one or 2 lizards.

got back to the ship about 4pm, saw...maybe another carriage go by...went to the ship.

most of the world is not as animal sensitive as we are. around greece and athens, they say that the stray animals aren't really strays. but we saw dogs and cats laying in the hot sun around the parathnon. (sp?)

stay cats everywhere on the greek islands.

cozumel is different then mainland mexico...for 1 thing, you can drink the water.

it would be nice if more of us practice animal birth control, but even in this country...too many throw a-way critters.

918869349_diamondinternationlaofcourse.jpg.06696159fd5d4b898c73ae4fe22c5b1d.jpg

394121797_taxiandcrowds.jpg.510dce0855bc76284b89319cfef4d4c3.jpg

277358826_senorfrogs.jpg.c1f3f759856510febcdf3e7c8283355f.jpg

1566377872_doesntwanttobeseen.jpg.13b7a63ef20c6f9ecc77d43a43f200d0.jpg

1375010677_privatebeach.jpg.040cff6afc534d902b99fc2fb51d842e.jpg

I've been to Coz and saw the horses. I do love animials and I felt sorry for them, but honestly they looked as well treated as any other horses I've ever seen while traveling in the Carribean or Mexico. They did not appear abused. There is just a very different standard of care for animals in poor coutries. And in most ports, I've always seen a dogs that look undernourished. It is not something unique to Cozumel. Also Coz is really fun. So, donate to a shelter or bring a dog some food and go have a good time.

I was in Cozumel for the day last week. I didn't see a stray dog one and the horses though I felt sorry for them lugging their little carriages around, looked as well as can be expected. Much like any horse/carriage operations you'd see anywhere in the USA. Now I stayed close to the port to shop, but went to Punta Sur to the Crocodile area and beach/lighthouse and didn't see any on the way to or from there either. I also have a huge soft spot for animals and understand your concern. But I really think you will be fine.

Just be prepared, any island you go in the Caribbean will have stray dogs that look straving and livestock that does not look like our livestock. Or at least all the ones we have been to did. They do not treat most their animals like we do in the U.S. To answer your question-we have been to Cozumel several times and have only seen the horses when we pass by the riding stables. We have seen a few stray dogs and cats but not many. Be careful if you plan on feeding any animals-the locals may not like it too much. While we were in Jamaica a tourist was feeding a dog at a beach restaurant and the workers got upset. They did not want the animals fed there because they will keep coming there for food. I would not cancel my cruise, you will still have a great time but animal issue is by no means limited to Mexico. Hope you have a great trip!!

I am an animal lover and activist also. I also own horses. I've been to Cozumel and the horses are not cared for properly in my opinion. I always ask in a polite way if they do have access to water. I agree that other countries don't value animals the way we do in the U.S. and I get very upset, too. I hope no one patronizes the carriages. I'm happy to see there are other people in this world that are compassionate! Unfortunately, as someone stated above, there are irresponsible people in the U.S. who don't spay/neuter their pets. I don't think you should cancel your trip though. Do what you can like someone suggested (maybe donating to a shelter or volunteering) and making people aware! Have a nice trip!

Being compassionate is a wonderful character quality. If you decide to cancel your cruise, maybe you could earmark those funds to help those in need in your community. Think of all the children in your own country who are being treated worse than the animals you are worried about. Most counties are always in need of foster parents who are willing to give of themselves to help the most vulnerable - abused and neglected children.

I was particularly interested in this topic prior to my cruise which stopped in Cozumel. I had heard also about the lack of care for the carriage horses and being a horse owner myself, I expected the worst.

Much to my pleasant surprise, every single carriage horse I saw had decent weight on him, feet were in good condition. and seemed to be in excellent condition. I personally do not believe that a horse is abused, simply by working him. If he is kept in good condition, and given proper care, pulling a carriage every day is not abuse.

One thing of note that has nothing to do with their condition was the every single one of them were stallions. Our of curiousity, I'd love to know why stallions (not geldings) and why no mares?

Go on your cruise and have a wonderful time. You may very well see animals that are not in the best of condition somewhere on your cruise, but it will not be the carriage horses in Cozumel.

My wife says that I have no compassion. I don't when it comes to animals verses people. Here we have countries where the annual income is below our destitute poverty level. I can't differentiate between hungary, misstreated animals and people. Staying home will keep the memory of abused animals at bay but will not do anything to help the natives. Their income depends on you tourist dollars.

Personally, I think that the native Americans had the right idea. Ride a horse until it drops and then eat it. And as for dogs, millions of Asians have eaten them for years. Put enough Bar-B-Q Sauce on it and I will try it.

I don't remeber seeing any horses either....but then I wasn't really looking for any.

The fish eat good though. Thought it was hilarious when we saw Fiesta Party Boat passing out corn tortillas & telling people to tear them in pieces to feed the fish. I have never so many fish in the clear blue water. :eek:

I guess mexican fish.... eat mexican food. :D

I've been to Cozumel 4 times and I dont' even remember seeing a horse! I definitely wouldn't cancel my cruise over it...

Well if you didn't see those carriage horses that were EVERYWHERE, you must have had one too many of those $1.00 Corona's! :D

Archived