*Group Cruise Ideas! Your Thoughts Please!*

Dear CC friends:

This will be my first "official" (more then 20) group cruise. So if you have some great ideas or have any links to share so that I can be theperfect hostess I'd appreciate it!

Some Info:

1. flying to Miami
  2. 20+ ppl
  3. most have never sailed before
  4. almost all = 1st time RCCL!! Whoo Hoo!! :D
  5. Freedom of the Seas
  6. Thanksgiving time
  7. kids between 8-18

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!!

P.S. I was trying to do a search and I couldn't get any responses from the search feature. :p go figure.......

Just don't try to keep the "group" together for EVERYTHING!!!! Let folks make their own arrangements, but plan to meet up for dinner, or drinks. You will become frustrated if you try to have too much "togetherness"!

Just don't try to keep the "group" together for EVERYTHING!!!! Let folks make their own arrangements, but plan to meet up for dinner, or drinks. You will become frustrated if you try to have too much "togetherness"!

Wow~! That could definately be me. So you are saying get them together for dinner and drinks maybe right? Should we have a group excursion? What about pre-cruise? :rolleyes:

raina*faith...

I take groups out every year.

Make sure everyone would like to spend the extra money for a pre-cruise. But, that is fun and relaxing.

Unless you are all family, friends or a club, I usually let the choose what dining time they like.

I always invite them to a sail-a-way get together.

They always have my room number and cell phone number for problems.

Shore excursions are individual, so they all do their own.

This year I have 55 on the Explorer to Bermuda

We are having a sail-a-way at the Sky Bar

Then a Meet and Greet the next morning at the Aquarium Bar

These are the 2 items that we are doing on Sea Days

A Poker Run.... 5 bars are needed

& a Scavenger Hunt (just make up a list)

and give little prizes.

Since this is a club... we are dining at the same time. so they can all tell me their concerns at dinner.

We are cruising with a group of 24. I planned the cruise. Each individual is responsible for their own airfare and transfers to get to the port. We are planning to have dinner together and meet up at various times. Excursions will be on our own (some may choose to do some together,but doubtful that all will).

Best advice anybody can give and I would have given the same advice:

when I did the first family and friends group cruise I thought it was my responsibility to take care of them around the clock. It is not. Unless you get paid as a group cruise coordinator you just make the travel arrangements (if required), do the booking and make excursion suggestions. Otherwise leave them alone. You be totally exhausted at the end and you need immediately another cruise (which I did, 3 weeks later). LOL.

I have done a couple of group cruises and, I agree, except for dinner or a sailaway get together just let everyone do what they want. I've found the individuals talk among themselves and decide on excursions, etc. The one thing I found helpful was to make a small, credit card size listing of everyone's names and room numbers in case they want to find each other easily. It fits into a pocket or wallet and can be carried with you around the ship.

Hoop: Have them retrieve items from different areas of the ship so that they at least see what the Freedom has to offer. For example: a compass in a specific language takes them to the Centrum near guest relations. a brochure that includes a particular port takes them to the Future Cruises area, if you have a few minutes ahead of time give something to a particular bartender to distribute if they answer a question correctly (who is the Godmother of the ship or what is the Captains name), have them retrieve a menu from the Spa, etc. Most new folks will enjoy going to areas of the ship they might not otherwise experience.

Ditto to what some of the other posters said - the worst thing organizers can do is try to overplan everything. I would let everyone know about a sail-away party in a place that is easy to find. Maybe ask everyone to wear something that will identify your group (Hawaiian shirts, feather boas, your favorite team's logo). Getting everyone together like will really kick off the party and help make the newbies feel more comfortable.

But after that, I wouldn't plan much. Or if you do, make it optional, and easy for people to come and go as they please. Like drinks at a certain bar at a certain time. That way people can come and catch up with friends, but don't need to feel guilty if they don't make it in time, or just feel like doing something else. And others won't get irritated waiting around for people who may never show up.

Have fun - sounds like you all will have a great time.

Our Meet and Mingle group did a slot pull. We had a blast even though we didn't win any money. We met at a chosen time. Everyone put $21 in a selected $1 slot machine (Wheel of Fortune). Each participant did 7 spins. Then, the next person came and put their $21. We had 49 participants. We ended up only losing $7 each, it was worth it! So fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived