Will we be out of place in May on the Zuiderdam?

CHRIS3169

We are traveling on the Zuiderdam in May!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, we have some concern but not really too many about the average age on Holland America. It is my understanding that iternary and time of year are factors. So for a 7 day Western Caribbean what will the average age be? We are thirty somethings!

We neither one have any trouble sailing with a more mature group of people but some our own age would be nice. We weren't into Carnival, and Holland America has such a great reputation we decided to take a chance with them for my dh first cruise and my second. It has been several years since I sailed with Norwegian on the Norway.

We are just trying to find out what to expect.

Anyone else booked that far out?

Thank you,

Chris:)

You will finde a more mature group,but we still like fun.

My wife & I were on the old Westerdam twice & loved it.we will be on the zuiderdam in a couple of weeks.

On HAL moste people like to dress up for formal nites.

Hope you have a good trip, let us know what you think.

We have been cruising since early 30s (we are early 40s now) and also have been on the Norway (3 times), boy I miss that ship. Anyway, I don't think you will find the age thing to be a problem. Yes there are many older people and that is simply because (IMO) Holland attracts a more mature, sophisticated clientel. There were no more older people on the Ryndam than the Norway cruises we have been on. I have never been on any other HAL ship so I can't speak to that. We were a little concerned when we booked the Ryndam for the same reasons as you but we aren't party animals by any stretch and we loved that it was more laid back and classy. We enjoyed talking to the older people as well as younger and ones our age. It was a great cruise.

We loved the Norway but the Ryndam was so much better, just little things that I won't go into unless you want to hear them but suffice it to say that I think if you liked the Norway, you will love HAL. There will be people your age on board and many of the people who are older, you would never know it. I enjoyed hanging out with many couples on our cruise who were at least 30 years older than I am. In fact, in 3 weeks when we leave on the Oosterdam it will be my DH (42), myself (41), my sister and her partner (45 and 44) and my 18 year old daughter and I have some mild concerns since most are in school (she is taking a break from college to go, long story) but I have no fear that there won't be any other young adults on board, I know there will be.

I think you will love it and face it, the older the person, the better the conversationalist...I truly believe that.

We were on the Zuiderdam out of Fort Lauderdale departed on 8/7/2004 with a load of 441 kids and their 'rents as they referred to them. In late May or early June one of the comics said they had a retinue of over 800 children which he claimed brought the average passenger age down to 78. I was quite distressed to find that I was the doyen of the 6 person table I was seated at the ripe old age of 47 so you'll be fine.

We're in our 40's and my husband WON"T sail on any other ship. He loves HAL. Probably because they treat him like he's special.

Watch out for wheelchairs ( :rolleyes: ).

Lido or Pool bar during the day, Crows Nest after 11pm.

Happy Sailing!!!

We just returned from the 9/25 (original date) Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam. Thanks to hurricane Jeanne we had a five day Western Caribbean cruise. HAL was great with the changes. They had the lowest offer for future credit of the crusie companies I checked, but a larger on board credit.

This was our 7th cruise (2nd on HAL) and we found the ship somewhat more oriented to a younger crowd. They are trying!

I would say that most of the passengers were over 40 and there were even kids.

I found it interesting that they are trying to target a younger crowd but had ALL the pools and hot tubs closed by 10PM.

The sevice is great and in true HAL style is much more reserved that on some of the other lines.

We will be back on HAL again and I am sure you will have a greta cruise!!

My wife and are 32 and 33 respectively and we are bringing our 4 young children with us (ages 10,8,6,4) on our 10/9/04 cruise on the "Z". I am guessing we will stick out just a bit. No worries though, we are on a cruise, it really does not matter to me what age people are, we are going to have a great time.

We have sailed the Z in both November and July. November had a much older group on it than the July sailing. I would think that May would have a good mixture of ages. You will enjoy the Z. The staff tries very hard to please and is very friendly. Enjoy.

I was on the Zui in May (17th) of 2003, and found a nice mixture of ages. I really liked this ship, and am booked on it again for next April. There were a lot of younger couples (sigh), and a number of British passengers in their 20's and 30's. You'll have a great time!!

Chris3169 You won't be out of place!

Our honeymoon cruise was in 1977 - we never thought to ask about the ages of other passengers.............suffice it to say, we had a ball.

For some 10 years there were other priorities! Now, we try to make a cruise at least once a year.........and we still have a ball! :)

we have been on all the vista class ships you will love the ship. they will be a mix of people. Majority grampa and gramma's.

In august of 2003 took my son and his wife on the zuiderdam. March 2004 took my other son and his dw and 2 grandchildren. It was enjoyed by all. have a great trip. My sons age were 38 and 35. jcike

Archived