St. John (New Brunswick) Excursion not thru cruiseline?

My hubby wanted to do this....but I think I'd prefer the other boat ride that is just sight-seeing! I don't know if I could handle being soak & wet!! It looks like loads of fun though--so we may give it a whirl!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

If you do decide to do the Jet Boat ride, book it yourself. Carnival gets $100. pp for the excursion, the actual price through the vendor is around $38. pp and the taxis ride is not much. The people there are very nice. I am not sorry we did it and I am looking forward to doing it again in July.

Does anyone know anything about the 2 hour tour by Saint John's Transit? Has anyone done it? It takes you to the Reversing Falls, but I can't figure out if you are there long enough to actually see anything.

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15

Also, it shows

Pickup Points

Tour 1

Reversing Falls 9:30 am

Barbour’s General Store 9:45 am

Rockwood Park Campsite 10:00 am

Tour 2

Rockwood Park Campsite 12:30 pm

Barbour’s General Store 12:45 pm

Reversing Falls 1:00 pm

Do you get on or off somewhere near the cruise terminal? Unfortunately there is only a phone number and no email address for info.

Thanks.

Does anyone know anything about the 2 hour tour by Saint John's Transit? Has anyone done it? It takes you to the Reversing Falls, but I can't figure out if you are there long enough to actually see anything.

http://www.saintjohntransit.com/index.php?id=15

Also, it shows

Pickup Points

Tour 1

Reversing Falls 9:30 am

Barbour’s General Store 9:45 am

Rockwood Park Campsite 10:00 am

Tour 2

Rockwood Park Campsite 12:30 pm

Barbour’s General Store 12:45 pm

Reversing Falls 1:00 pm

Do you get on or off somewhere near the cruise terminal? Unfortunately there is only a phone number and no email address for info.

Thanks.

It's as good as any other tour you'll receive and is affordable - hits all the sites you'll want to see. You catch the tour near Barbour's General Store which is 2 minutes from Pugsley Terminal walking or 10 minutes from Long Wharf Terminal walking - or take complimentary shuttle from Long Wharf to Barbour's General Store. I actually recommend it having done it before.

Acey I am a bit confused about the Saint Johns Transit Tour. What time to they pick-up by Barbour's General Store? The web site lists the price in Canadian $, do they take USD or credit cards? Would this be a good substitute for a taxi tour? Which would be a "better deal" for two people? Thanks so much you have been such a great help. :D

Acey I am a bit confused about the Saint Johns Transit Tour. What time to they pick-up by Barbour's General Store? The web site lists the price in Canadian $, do they take USD or credit cards? Would this be a good substitute for a taxi tour? Which would be a "better deal" for two people? Thanks so much you have been such a great help. :D

The tour leaves Barbour's General Store at 9:45 and 12:45. They do not take credit cards. Although prices are listed in Canadian funds, I don't think it will be a problem paying is $USD as you can pay with $USD on regular scheduled routes.

As for good substitute for taxi tour - you will save money taking the bus for sure - but it will be a matter of personal preference. Personally I would enjoy being on a bus more as it's more roomier to move around and big windows to snap photos. Also if you are environmentally conscious, it leaves less of a carbon footprint. Many of these tours I see are not crowded either. Overall though it's a personal preference, just my opinion above. I took it before just because I thought it would be interesting to see my city from a tourist perspective and the driver was super nice.

I'm sure there are also great taxi drivers out there too with nice cars you may like - when you get off the ship the options will be available right there. No need to haggle - prices are pre-set for city tours and drivers are honest.

Most of the attractions the busses and taxis go to are right off the ship, like City Market, Imperial Theatre and Trinity Royal. If you want to go to Reversing Falls you can walk to it along a marked path - and walking is free :)

Just to follow up on last post, sometimes I think people feel pressured to take a tour to make their stop memorable. The great thing about Saint John is you can fill your stopover here on your own and have a great time without spending tour money. Aside from the major attractions nearby the ship you can do on your own, the two big places that organized tours would take you to are the Reversing Falls and Fort Howe (hill overlooking harbour). However, you can walk to both of these destinations along Harbour Passage. To go to Reversing Falls, it is about a 30 min walk from Long Wharf. A couple minutes into your walk will be an off shoot path taking you to Fort Howe - probably take 15 minutes to get up hill. Where the ship docks are some of the oldest buildings in Canada with unique shops and restaurants. You can tour the Imperial Theatre for $2.00.

You can also pick up a brochure from the city travel bureau with a walking tour map and narrative if you are interested in Trinity Royal Heritage area.

I think if you are a budget conscious travveler like I am Saint John has a lot to offer all within walking distance.

As for anything interesting to see along the way to Reversing Falls - there are lookout points, interpretive signs, historic Douglas Avenue and if you look hard enough harbour seals popping their heads out of the water playing peekaboo.

Acey - Thanks for the info on the city transit bus tour. I have a stupid question.. Does the bus stop at the various locations or just drive by? I have this vision of the tour bus driver saying 'on your left is the famous reversing falls' as everyone leans towards the window to get a picture!

I'm looking at this type of tour for my mom who will be up in St. John a week after I'm there. We are probably going to stay within walking distance of the ship -- seems like there's plenty you can walk to! -- and then hit the festival that will be in Market Square.

Acey - Thanks for the info on the city transit bus tour. I have a stupid question.. Does the bus stop at the various locations or just drive by? I have this vision of the tour bus driver saying 'on your left is the famous reversing falls' as everyone leans towards the window to get a picture!

I'm looking at this type of tour for my mom who will be up in St. John a week after I'm there. We are probably going to stay within walking distance of the ship -- seems like there's plenty you can walk to! -- and then hit the festival that will be in Market Square.

The bus stops at the major attractions for people to get out for an alotted amount of time.

Our ship docks at Long Wharf when we visit in October. The map makes it look like it's in a warehouse area not close to tourist attractions. Can Acey or other advise if it is possible to walk to downtown area?

Our ship docks at Long Wharf when we visit in October. The map makes it look like it's in a warehouse area not close to tourist attractions. Can Acey or other advise if it is possible to walk to downtown area?

Long Wharf is right beside "downtown" and is a 3 min free shuttle ride to the very centre or a 5 minute walk along the boardwalk once you exit the gates.

It's an extremely easy and short walk. I wouldn't wait for a bus to fill up with people and drive me the distance unless I wasn't able to walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes. You might sit there for 20 minutes until it fills up!

Just a note.......a previous posted said that the excursion people, being professional, probably wouldn't get you to the caves late. From the experience of our tablemates: they were very disappointed and angry. They didn't get to the caves until 3 hours after low tide and were not able to leave the parking lot area. They said they stood there for 10 minutes, ate their chowder, and got back on the bus.

If you feel even slightly adventurous, I'd recommend a car. The ship is in port for at least 8 hours, the caves are maybe an hour away and fairly easy to find. Just be back at the ship before she sails. Doesn't sound too tough.

• 4 weeks later...

"As for anything interesting to see along the way to Reversing Falls - there are lookout points, interpretive signs, historic Douglas Avenue and if you look hard enough harbour seals popping their heads out of the water playing peekaboo.

"

Is this an easy to moderate walk on a dedicated walking path [ie, no cliffs etc.]? Is it easy to find from dock and easy to follow to the Falls? Have any cruiser's tried it this summer? Thanks!

"As for anything interesting to see along the way to Reversing Falls - there are lookout points, interpretive signs, historic Douglas Avenue and if you look hard enough harbour seals popping their heads out of the water playing peekaboo.
"

Is this an easy to moderate walk on a dedicated walking path [ie, no cliffs etc.]? Is it easy to find from dock and easy to follow to the Falls? Have any cruiser's tried it this summer? Thanks!

Harbour Passage starts on the boardwalk behind the Hilton Hotel.

If you dock at Pugsley just walk up the street to the Hilton. If you dock at Long Wharf, Harbour Passage is the cranberry coloured paved trail as you exit the dock. Just turn left and follow it. It is very easy and flat. There will be a blue roofed observation deck shortly after you pass under the Harbour Bridge. Go up the stairs, cross the street at the light and follow the cranberry coloured sidewalk up the hill (short distance) to its end at Douglas Avenue. At Douglas Avenue, turn left and walk down the street to Fallsview Terrace. Turn right and walk into the falls viewing area.

You can also continue along Douglas Avenue and cross the Reversing Falls Bridge. There is a viewing area and a restaurant there. Last summer there was a water taxi operating from the restaurant area back to the Hilton Hotel area. I don't know if they are there this summer or not. Maybe Acey will see this reply and know the answer.

If you come before Sept., you will most likely dock at Long Wharf as there is a new terminal under construction at Pugsley. If you go to www.cruisesaintjohn.com and look at the drop down menu headed "Media" you will find a schedule which will tell you where you will be docked. You can also see how may ships will be here on the same day.

If we rent a car and drive to St. Martins, will we have trouble finding the caves? I'm just starting my research and have no idea how big St. Martins is. Any thing else in particular that it would be worth driving to?

If we rent a car and drive to St. Martins, will we have trouble finding the caves? I'm just starting my research and have no idea how big St. Martins is. Any thing else in particular that it would be worth driving to?

St. Martin's is a small fishing village - just follow the signs into the village and you'll come upon the beach and caves.

I checked the cruise ship schedule, and it looks like the Dawn is docking at the Long Wharf terminal. Which car rental location will be closer to that location, and is it walking distance?

Enterprise would be the closest. About a 10 minute walk from when you leave the ship. Just continue straight out of the dock and continue walking toward the large arena with the blue roof. (Harbour Station). Enterprise is a little ways past Harbour Station on the right hand side of the street. The volunteers from "Meet and Greet" on the dock will point you in the right direction. The phone number for Enterprise is 506-693-8688 and the address is 132 Station Street. There is a toll free number ---1-800-736-8222 but if you use that number make sure the person understands that you will be in Saint John, New Brunswick and not St. John's, Newfoundland. The toll free number person could be situated in God knows where and the two cities get confused all the time.

The yellow pages ad says they will pick you up at home, office or repair shop, so maybe they will pick you up at the dock. It would be nice if the weather is not good.

Enterprise would be the closest. About a 10 minute walk from when you leave the ship. Just continue straight out of the dock and continue walking toward the large arena with the blue roof. (Harbour Station). Enterprise is a little ways past Harbour Station on the right hand side of the street. The volunteers from "Meet and Greet" on the dock will point you in the right direction. The phone number for Enterprise is 506-693-8688 and the address is 132 Station Street. There is a toll free number ---1-800-736-8222 but if you use that number make sure the person understands that you will be in Saint John, New Brunswick and not St. John's, Newfoundland. The toll free number person could be situated in God knows where and the two cities get confused all the time.

The yellow pages ad says they will pick you up at home, office or repair shop, so maybe they will pick you up at the dock. It would be nice if the weather is not good.

I think it's good to call them directly right here in Saint John rather than a call centre - they can answer questions locally that the call centre can't - they may even have packages specifically for cruise ship visitors. I dealt with them before and they are good to deal with.

We rented from Avis. It was a simple 10 or 15 minute walk from the dock. Just a block past the outdoor craft market. Nice area to walk though. They gave directions to the caves which were very easy to follow. We did not go to the reversing falls.......I'd rather watch the tide come in at the caves. We were there on a Saturday, and they closed at 2 that day, but there was a key drop box, and no problem when we returned. Lets face it, they know you're on a cruise ship....it's not like you're gonna keep the car overnight!

When we dropped the car off, we walked to the market......yummy food to look at, try, buy! Met a great guy there that gave my 9 yo son a handmade toy, one of those clay buttons on a string to spin. Seems he's the guy who designed the emblem for the olympics in the future there.........Acey, can you help me out as to when and where they will be? He had a huge basket full that if you stopped to talk, he was happy to visit and chat. Wonderful people. We loved it. Obviously, when the ship comes in, there are plenty of residents who enjoy showing off their town......and they make the trip memorable.

If I had one regret (besides having to leave).....I forgot to take a picture of the Ship when we got off at low tide from across the pier, and another one when returned at high tide from the same location. I've got lots of pix, but it would have been so great to have one from the same location!

I am in St John in late August. I am meeting an old friend and his wife who now live around two hours drive away. He does not know of any good restuarants in St John. Anyone got any recommendations - it will be for lunch and something local (fish?) would be good.

Many thanks in advance

Archived