********motion Sickness********

Skyev21

Regular Dramamine makes you sleepy. Less Drowsy or Bonine (Meczline) doesn't affect most people. Yes, it also helps dizziness as the dizziness is also a product of your inner ear. The Seabands were tested on Myth Busters and from what I read, they didn't work. Ginger tested the best. I use Ginger and Meczline and start taking them the evening before the cruise. The one time I waited til I felt bad, nothing helped except going to bed and sleeping til we pulled into port the next am. They are really preventative, not for treatment of existing sea sickness.

I don't get seasick but my boyfriend and mom both get incredibly seasick. My mom swore by the bands and brought a couple pairs with her, but my BF brought ginger and less drowsy Dramamine, he took them the night before and was sick the moment we left port.

Second morning my bf switched to the bands (he borrowed my mom's extra pair). He got sea sick one other time that week, when he took the bands off for a shower and then took a nap (never replacing them!)

I've taken ginger for nausea before, and while it worked well I got heartburn... and I had never had it before, so i really wasn't sure what it was! I know that most people don't have that side effect, but I am strange like that:D

I've been using meclizine since my first cruise in 1986. Take 1 with breakfast, 1 mid afternoon and 1 before bed. It doesn't make me sleepy and works for both the nausua and dizzyness.

You can buy a bottle of 100 at Kmart (directly from the pharmacist) for under $7.

Just a side note, I don't fly well and the meclizine works for that too.

I don't get seasick but my boyfriend and mom both get incredibly seasick. My mom swore by the bands and brought a couple pairs with her, but my BF brought ginger and less drowsy Dramamine, he took them the night before and was sick the moment we left port.

Second morning my bf switched to the bands (he borrowed my mom's extra pair). He got sea sick one other time that week, when he took the bands off for a shower and then took a nap (never replacing them!)

I've taken ginger for nausea before, and while it worked well I got heartburn... and I had never had it before, so i really wasn't sure what it was! I know that most people don't have that side effect, but I am strange like that:D

Did he only take it the night before or did he continue taking 1-2 tablets per day? If he only took it the night before, that would explain his getting sick as he probably didnt' have enough in his system. I didn't get sick til well after we left port on our first cruise and hit the gulf stream. I feel nothing when we pull away from the pier and almost no one gets sick in the harbor areas because the water isn't really moving. Now, I will not cruise without my meds. Although this cruise I plan to take it the evening before and the morning of and first evening and then only each evening plus take ginger twice a day. I want to see if 1 mezcline/day will do it for me after we get past the gulf stream. All the sea bands did for me was make my arm sore (and yes I was wearing them correctly) and they are oh so attractive with my dresses.

Did he only take it the night before or did he continue taking 1-2 tablets per day? If he only took it the night before, that would explain his getting sick as he probably didnt' have enough in his system. I didn't get sick til well after we left port on our first cruise and hit the gulf stream. I feel nothing when we pull away from the pier and almost no one gets sick in the harbor areas because the water isn't really moving. Now, I will not cruise without my meds. Although this cruise I plan to take it the evening before and the morning of and first evening and then only each evening plus take ginger twice a day. I want to see if 1 mezcline/day will do it for me after we get past the gulf stream. All the sea bands did for me was make my arm sore (and yes I was wearing them correctly) and they are oh so attractive with my dresses.

So basically I should do both? Bonine & sea bands correct? & when exactly should I start taking Bonine, only 1 day prior? Does the alcohol affect it's effectiveness?

Thanks

I’m going to use both Bonine and the Sea-Bands. I’ll take one pill about 8 hours before we are due to leave port and 1 – 2 pills each day thereafter. The bands I have for myself are pale blue in color. Most everything I wear is blue so the bands kinda blend in. Not a big deal – I paid good money for this trip and want to enjoy every moment of it, so if that means not being at the height of fashion – so be it!

Enjoy your trip!

3Chihuahuas

I’m going to use both Bonine and the Sea-Bands. I’ll take one pill about 8 hours before we are due to leave port and 1 – 2 pills each day thereafter. The bands I have for myself are pale blue in color. Most everything I wear is blue so the bands kinda blend in. Not a big deal – I paid good money for this trip and want to enjoy every moment of it, so if that means not being at the height of fashion – so be it!

Enjoy your trip!

3Chihuahuas

Thanks so much for the advise! I will try your recommendation & hopes it works!

Enjoy your trip too!

Regular Dramamine makes you sleepy. Less Drowsy or Bonine (Meczline) doesn't affect most people. Yes, it also helps dizziness as the dizziness is also a product of your inner ear. The Seabands were tested on Myth Busters and from what I read, they didn't work. Ginger tested the best. I use Ginger and Meczline and start taking them the evening before the cruise. The one time I waited til I felt bad, nothing helped except going to bed and sleeping til we pulled into port the next am. They are really preventative, not for treatment of existing sea sickness.

They really do work for some people. Placebo effect? Very possible. But if they do work for some, that's good. So shhhhhhh.:)

We did a study at our hospital once which used the electronic bands for anti-nausea purposes. I never heard the final results but the recovery nurses told me that they were impressed with the bands. I bought some for my husband, and they worked great. I will admit, though, that his sea-sickness has always struck me as more mental than physical as he does just fine if he drives a boat, but if he is sitting right next to the driver, still with the same horizon view, he'll get seasick. He believes he'll get seasick, and so he does. So if he believes he is wearing the cure, it seems to work for him.

The dizziness you're experiencing probably has to do with excess fluid in your inner ear. Some people just seem to have it. So when you're on a boat or in a car, etc., that fluid tends to move around, thereby causing dizziness (and subsequent nausea for most people). Meclizine (the generic name for the drug - Trade names are Bonine, Dramamine II, Antivert, Driminate II) is an antihistamine. For whatever reason, antihistamine tends to block the body's reaction to the sloshing fluid. Because it is an antihistamine, it *can* cause dizziness and drowsiness in some people (or jitteriness in others, like me). Meclizine tends to cause fewer side-effects in most people than dimenhydrinate (the generic name for the drug in Dramamine original formula).

Because your problem seems to be dizziness instead of nausea, I would stick with the meclizine antihistamine. Ginger and Sea Bands are geared more toward nausea. Get yourself a few meclizine to start taking 2 days prior, then get the free stuff once on board and keep taking it regularly. You should be fine.

I think I bought Bonine? It's what the Pharmacist recommended because it's less drowsy than Dramamine.

Should I take it before departing or wait to see how I'm affected? LAst cruise (3/28/08), a few hrs after departing I started feeling really dizzy! I hated it! & At formal dinner it got worse & pretty much never went away after that! & that was a mid-cabin!

This time we're facing the front, extreme bow, 10th deck up! Ahhhhhhh!

Hi... my first cruise I wore the patch! NEVER AGAIN!! Second cruise, dramamine... slept alot! Third cruise, wrist bands and bonine... did the trick! Now after 10 cruises, I do fine with the bands and bonine. Last cruise had a bow 8th for the first time ever. Felt more motion than the middle to back rooms we've had before but I did fine. Also took some teddy grahams and they settled my stomach down better than ginger. Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

All the sea bands did for me was make my arm sore (and yes I was wearing them correctly) and they are oh so attractive with my dresses.

I have to wear sea bands on every cruise so now I buy them in different colors to match my clothes, esp the formal ones, and 'dress' them up with beads, lace, etc... They are so fashionable if I say so myself. :D

Hi... my first cruise I wore the patch! NEVER AGAIN!! Second cruise, dramamine... slept alot! Third cruise, wrist bands and bonine... did the trick! Now after 10 cruises, I do fine with the bands and bonine. Last cruise had a bow 8th for the first time ever. Felt more motion than the middle to back rooms we've had before but I did fine. Also took some teddy grahams and they settled my stomach down better than ginger. Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your advise, as I am definitely gonna try it & let everyone know how I did afterwards! I'm just so anxious just thinking about it. I've never experienced these symptoms before I did the RCCL 4 days cruise & absolutly hated it! We only ate dinner once in the dining room because I couldn't handle it! Watching my shower curtain sway didn't help much either. Just tried to ignore it but couldn't.

Just don't know if alcohol will effect it much?

The pharmacist recommended Bonine because it's less drowsy and I never knew about sea bands until I read them on this forum yesterday.

It's on my list to pick up today. How many should I get, considering it's a week-long cruise?

Thanks again!

I take 2 less drowsy dramamine tablets about an hour before setting sail and then I make sure to take 1 a day for the rest of the cruise (unless I'm in a port for more than 1 day, then I only take it again about an hour before sailing). I've never felt sleepy or had any bad reaction (knock on wood!). I even use the less drowsy dramamine before flying and it works like a charm. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I take 2 less drowsy dramamine tablets about an hour before setting sail and then I make sure to take 1 a day for the rest of the cruise (unless I'm in a port for more than 1 day, then I only take it again about an hour before sailing). I've never felt sleepy or had any bad reaction (knock on wood!). I even use the less drowsy dramamine before flying and it works like a charm. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

So I should take 2 the first day & 1 every sailing day after correct? Along with the bracelet.

Should I take one in the morning & evening the day prior to cruising or at the same time?:p

a friend just returned from cruise to San Jaun she useed just the wrist bands and said they work great. she has used the patch (some success) and dramamine (some success) on other cruises. she said the bands work better and less hassel of remembering to take a pill. this will be my first cruise ever and I puchased the bands. hope they work for us! they are inexspensive (come in pack of 2 and less than $12)

a friend just returned from cruise to San Jaun she useed just the wrist bands and said they work great. she has used the patch (some success) and dramamine (some success) on other cruises. she said the bands work better and less hassel of remembering to take a pill. this will be my first cruise ever and I puchased the bands. hope they work for us! they are inexspensive (come in pack of 2 and less than $12)

How many should I buy for a ween-long cruise? How often do u change them?:confused: :D

So I should take 2 the first day & 1 every sailing day after correct? Along with the bracelet.

Should I take one in the morning & evening the day prior to cruising or at the same time?:p

Usually, when I get on board, I hit the buffet and then take 2 tablets about an hour before sailing. Then on sea days, I usually take 1 tablet after having breakfast. If it's a port day, I usually take 1 tablet when I get back on the ship to set sail again. I actually have a bottle of the less drowsy dramamine right now and it says "take first dose one hour before starting activity. Adults and children 12 and over: 1 to 2 tablets once daily, or as directed by a doctor." Since the the dose says 1 to 2 tablets, I always take 2 for the first dose and then 1 the rest of the time.

I've never used the bracelets so I can't comment on that.

Usually, when I get on board, I hit the buffet and then take 2 tablets about an hour before sailing. Then on sea days, I usually take 1 tablet after having breakfast. If it's a port day, I usually take 1 tablet when I get back on the ship to set sail again. I actually have a bottle of the less drowsy dramamine right now and it says "take first dose one hour before starting activity. Adults and children 12 and over: 1 to 2 tablets once daily, or as directed by a doctor." Since the the dose says 1 to 2 tablets, I always take 2 for the first dose and then 1 the rest of the time.

I've never used the bracelets so I can't comment on that.

I've heard u should start taking it a day prior to get it into your system? Is this correct?:rolleyes:

I've heard u should start taking it a day prior to get it into your system? Is this correct?:rolleyes:

I have never done it that way and I've never gotten motion sickness doing it the way I've described - but maybe that's just me!

I would start taking it AT LEAST a couple of hours before the ship sails.

Nothing wrong with starting it the day prior, I suppose.

I have forgotten to take it before sailing, a couple of times. Once we get moving my body sure reminds me quickly enough!!!! Aaack!

The only time I can remember being able to go without taking dramamine every day was on our 12-day Mediterranean cruise, after the first week. I don't know if I finally managed to get my sea legs, or perhaps a combination of that and very smooth seas....but it was nice!

If you are prone to motion sickness, don't forget to continue taking it for a couple of days AFTER you disembark the ship. I have forgotten before and gotten VERY sick.

MOTION SICKNESS SUCKS!!!

I would start taking it AT LEAST a couple of hours before the ship sails.

Nothing wrong with starting it the day prior, I suppose.

I have forgotten to take it before sailing, a couple of times. Once we get moving my body sure reminds me quickly enough!!!! Aaack!

The only time I can remember being able to go without taking dramamine every day was on our 12-day Mediterranean cruise, after the first week. I don't know if I finally managed to get my sea legs, or perhaps a combination of that and very smooth seas....but it was nice!

If you are prone to motion sickness, don't forget to continue taking it for a couple of days AFTER you disembark the ship. I have forgotten before and gotten VERY sick.

MOTION SICKNESS SUCKS!!!

For a WEEK after we returned last time (from the 4 day cruise) I was so dizzy! I hated it so that's why I'm so concerned for this 7 night! But having all this feed back has really helped!;)

I recently had a bout of severe vertigo and the doctor prescribed Meclazine. It worked for the vertigo (dizziness). I am subject to sea sickness and have used ginger , bonine, and the patch. They have all worked for me. I don't drink, so I don't have that issue. I haven't had side effects from any of it. I've never used the Sea Bands. What ever you use, begin to take it at least the day before.

Basser

Since you've had such a problem with dizziness, I highly recommend you call your doctor and get his/her opinion. The doctor may have a prescription option that would be ideal for you. Minimum, go ask the pharmacist at your drugstore what he recommends.

I just think it's kind of dangerous to get your medical advice from a message forum, no matter how well meaning the respondants. They don't know your medical history, what meds you may also be taking, your drinking habits, etc.

Archived