how do you pack

ronl

I am really upset about having to pay for the 1st bag on American. I would have boycotted the airline all together, if my hubby wasn't cashing in his Freq. Flyer miles for his ticket. I was actually tempted to buy a ticket from another airline and meet him on the ship! I am going to have to really scale back on my Caribbean purchases and not take as much. Maybe the shoes?

:( I have heard of people mailing stuff home from the ports? I know St. Thomas has a US post office. Anyone do this? Is it very expensive to mail from St. Thomas to the U.S.?

Boycott the airline? For charging for the first bag ?

READ A NEWsPAPER. Do you know what gasoline costs? Do you know that AA is close to going under?

Get some perspective ! At the rate we're going there won't be an airline left in business to take us to a cruise destination. The extra charge is to be expected - not boycotted. Reality!

If you can afford to take a cruise, you should be able to afford to get your luggage to the dock.

At the rate we're going there won't be an airline left in business to take us to a cruise destination.

Several airline pilots (active and retired) live in our neighborhood and Friday evening several of us (pilot and non) were sitting out front and chatting (I do love summertime!). They are convinced that in the future (maybe the near future, depending on the election this fall) airlines will once again be regulated and competition will plummet. Then we will be talking on this board about the "good old days" when fares were only $300, or $380 checking two suitcases round trip, instead of $800.

We are now back from our British Isle cruise and it worked quite well. One suitcase, under 44 lbs and one carry-on. It was much easier to get around with only one suitcase and carry-on than several and as airports are so crowded, it made things a lot easier.

When we departed the train in Southampton, we could not find a taxi and asked someone where the hotel was. They pointed in a direction and we went there with our one suitcase each and one carry-on and got there on foot in just 5 minutes.

As for the ship, we did laundry halfway. We had booked an afternoon tour and right after breakfast I did 2 loads of washing. One dark, one light. Then the dryer. Then folding. It only took less than 2 hours and we still found time to go into Grenoch, come back for lunch and get our afternoon tour to Glasgow.

We did have somewhat more 'stuff' on the return but our Thomas Cook flight home did not even weigh our luggage nor our carry-on.

As for formal nights, we had 2 in 12 days and I had a long black skirt and a different blouse (hardly any weight there) for the formal nights and flat shoes which I prefer anyway. Worked out just fine. In fact, I think I prefer it.

We are now back from our British Isle cruise and it worked quite well. One suitcase, under 44 lbs and one carry-on. It was much easier to get around with only one suitcase and carry-on than several and as airports are so crowded, it made things a lot easier.

When we departed the train in Southampton, we could not find a taxi and asked someone where the hotel was. They pointed in a direction and we went there with our one suitcase each and one carry-on and got there on foot in just 5 minutes.

As for the ship, we did laundry halfway. We had booked an afternoon tour and right after breakfast I did 2 loads of washing. One dark, one light. Then the dryer. Then folding. It only took less than 2 hours and we still found time to go into Grenoch, come back for lunch and get our afternoon tour to Glasgow.

We did have somewhat more 'stuff' on the return but our Thomas Cook flight home did not even weigh our luggage nor our carry-on.

As for formal nights, we had 2 in 12 days and I had a long black skirt and a different blouse (hardly any weight there) for the formal nights and flat shoes which I prefer anyway. Worked out just fine. In fact, I think I prefer it.

Sound like you had a great time and easier time with less luggage:D

I find the less I schlepp the less stress we have getting to and from airport, hotels, ports etc.

Archived