how do you pack

ronl

Thank you!! Did you have to reserve a place or are you just going to show up and park? We have no idea where the pier or parking is. $13 per day is not bad at all. Are you going the night before and staying at a motel? We live in the San Fernando Valley.

Two days parking = 1 extra suitcase one way.

Four days parking = 1 extra suitcase roundtrip

Will you drive all that distance and park just to escape the extra luggage fee?

Two days parking = 1 extra suitcase one way.

Four days parking = 1 extra suitcase roundtrip

Will you drive all that distance and park just to escape the extra luggage fee?

Not now that I checked United and since we booked our flight in January we are able to bring two suitcases each. I don't even think we will use two a piece, but it's nice to know we can bring an extra one if we should need it. We don't like carry on's, we check everything except our camera. Nothing worse then having passengers trying to cram a suitcase into a compartment that just isn't quite wide enough and now with the one piece luggage thing it is going to be worse. It was never about having to pay the extra fee for a 2nd suitcase. What's $50? Like you say, the parking fees alone pay for it and that does not include gas to drive there and a hotel the night before. ;)

• 1 month later...
Pack things that can easily be mixed & matched, minimize shoes and use vacuum bags which can dramatically reduce the space (and clothes can actually come out in better shape than without). Also, pack things that can be easily laundered.

I easily did a 12 day Med. cruise (with post cruise stays) with a 21 inch rollerboard suitcase. Packed a dressy skirt & 2 tops for formal nights, several solid color capris & pants, tops that would match various pants, 1 bathing suit, a lightweight sweater and shoes (1 pair hiking sandals, 1 formal pair and 1 pair that were dressier for wear to dinner with capris/pants). Packed the clothes in a vacuum bag. Did laundry 1/2 way through the cruise. Also, I wore my "heaviest" clothes to travel.

WHERE DID YOU FIND A VACUUM TO RESEAL THE BAGS FOR DEPARTING THE CRUISE???:confused:

I am really upset about having to pay for the 1st bag on American. I would have boycotted the airline all together, if my hubby wasn't cashing in his Freq. Flyer miles for his ticket. I was actually tempted to buy a ticket from another airline and meet him on the ship! I am going to have to really scale back on my Caribbean purchases and not take as much. Maybe the shoes?

:( I have heard of people mailing stuff home from the ports? I know St. Thomas has a US post office. Anyone do this? Is it very expensive to mail from St. Thomas to the U.S.?

I and going to pack for our October like I used to pack. Heck, if we can afford to cruise, $25 is not going to break us! In fact, I am sure that we will tend to overpack (not consciously) on this trip as we have no flight to get to the pier, but a flight to get home from San Juan. JetBlue (our airline of choice) just recently started to charge $10 for the second bag.

I would rather be prepared for everything and have what we would like to, instead of having to buy things in port or on the ship at a very high cost.

You can go to Magellans dot com and look for Pack-It Compressor. All you do is put your clothes in them and roll them up. I used them for my long down filled coat when we went to Alaska in March. I put it in the outside pocket of the suitcase and it stayed nice and flat. I was then able to get it out when we arrived in Fairbanks. And, boy did I need it with the temperature at minus 15°F.

We pack very light in carry-on size bags(two in total), use onboard laundry, dress for formal nights, do not suffer from tugging on big bags, and enjoy fabulous cruises.

Can you tell me what your packing list looks like? I'm really interested in just using a carry on.

Interesting thread. I was able to dodge the extra Delta fees on my last cruise by one day (flew back on May 4, phew).

For next year, I will figure that we will check 8 bags for the four of us and figure out the baggage charge for two bags per person for all airlines I am considering and figure that into the price. My preference will be to travel on Jet Blue and I don't believe they have an extra charge . . yet. But I'll pay the charge on Spirit or another airline if the combined ticket/baggage price is less.

There have been other threads about bringing less clothing and that might impact my bringing "formal" wear. I may just do the dress pants, dress shirt and tie thing to formal night. I don't like lugging around extra luggage in any case for a family of four.

I will pack as usual and pay for the addtional bag. If my vacation budget is so tight that I can't swing an additional $50, then I shouldn't be going.

you should be able to make it with one checked and a carry-on each,if you are packing more then its too much clothes;)

Pack things that can easily be mixed & matched, minimize shoes and use vacuum bags which can dramatically reduce the space (and clothes can actually come out in better shape than without). Also, pack things that can be easily laundered.

I easily did a 12 day Med. cruise (with post cruise stays) with a 21 inch rollerboard suitcase. Packed a dressy skirt & 2 tops for formal nights, several solid color capris & pants, tops that would match various pants, 1 bathing suit, a lightweight sweater and shoes (1 pair hiking sandals, 1 formal pair and 1 pair that were dressier for wear to dinner with capris/pants). Packed the clothes in a vacuum bag. Did laundry 1/2 way through the cruise. Also, I wore my "heaviest" clothes to travel.

I agree with all of these. If I can't carry/handle/manage all of my luggage by myself, then I am bringing too much stuff. And you don't have to bring everything but the kitchen sink. Now that I am Elite I get the laundry but before then, I washed my clothes onboard the ship. For my upcoming Crown cruise, I'm bringing one 25" suitcase and a backpack carry-on. Even though I'm flying Biz Class and could bring more, I don't/won't.

People are stressing over the new luggage rules but all you have to do is to pack smartly and not bring everything you think you might need or want. It's really easy to bring clothing for different climates plus formal nights and still get it all into one bag. You just have to think about what you're bringing and plan accordingly.

As much as I miss the two bag allowance, I'll pay for my second bag.

When I went on my cruise in Australia, and spent a lot of time in Aus too, I bought tons and tons of souvenirs. So on board I bought a Princess expandable duffel bag.

Now before I left home I checked to see what an extra bag would cost me. I nearly choked when I saw a price around $350 or so. I then noticed that if you bought your ticket prior to the price change it was "only" $200 for your third bag.

I was hoping they'd let me get away with 3 bags, but of course, I ended up handing over $200 to bring my things home.

I was just wondering how you pack,since that the airlines charge for a 2nd.suitcase (25.00(or they will charge. Are you going to do your laundry on board or ,let the ship do it for you and pay the $20.00 per bag or send the 2nd bag to the Hotel that you are staying at (pre Cruise) Just wondering Ron

When we went to Hawaii in March, I packed everything on hangers with the cleaner bags. Now I will not be able to use the hangers in our baggage as they add weight. So, I guess I will just pack the clothing with a cleaner bag between them. I am also bringing less clothing, but the things I am bringing are heavier due to going to Alaska, were we will need more cold weather things. Since we booked our flight in January, it says we can have two bags each, but I wouldn't count on that once we get to the airport. Also, you still need formal and casual clothes for the dining room, so I don't know how much you can really cut back and "fit in"! It's six of one, half dozen of another when it comes to packing for different climates. And also it makes a difference when driving to the port and flying to the port! :(

The most important item to go on the "must have" list to pack is a hand-held weight scale. I ordered mine online and was so glad I had it for our recent cruise and flight back home. It was nice to know ahead of checking in at the airport that we were within the weight limit. As far as what to pack? Think of changing tops and bling and accessories and take lots of black and figure on doing at least one load of laundry for a week's cruise:D.

For 14 days Med cruise I pack in one suitcase, one wheeled garment bag, 2 carryons, one slightly oversized purse: Mix/ match colors ( usualy 2 colors - black and white or beige), light weight fabrics - silk, cotton, etc.

Use of the dry cleaner/ or laundry is still better that shlepping extra suitcases around.

Can you tell me what your packing list looks like? I'm really interested in just using a carry on.

I know you are probably more interested in my DW's list, but she's not available right now and I only know she gets what she needs in there. I have complained sufficiently loud and long for her to acquiece in my mission to reduce the load her DH used to deal with.

I roll in plastic laundry bags 3 underwear,3 pair sports socks, 3 pair Dockers, 3 shorts, 3 tropical shirts, some polo or T-shirts,1 pair sandals, and 1 dark suit combo plus dress shoes in the carry-on size backpack bag. My camera and bag of personal care items go into my camera/accessory bag.

Done. :)

Here's how I pack for a cruise:

First I pick out every thing I think I'll need for the week.

Second, I put half of it back in my closet.

Done.

Most people overpack. Think you'll need a windbreaker or sweatshirt for your Caribbean cruise (because it might get a little brisk at night)? Wrong. Leave it at home.

Do you really need more than one pair of khakis? No, the only time you'll wear them is at dinner. And even then, no one cares if you wear the same pants every night.

My only other packing advice is to make sure you put any prescription medications in a carry-on bag because you might not see your luggage for a couple of hours.

I know United charges the $25 (or will soon) so I do not use them. It is more of a principle thing with me so don't hit me with the $50 lecture. We normally take two bags and a spare for "stuff".

I just paid $4.05 for gasoline for my car. If you ever took Economics 101 you can figure that United (and every other airline) is struggling. Pick up a newspaper ! This isn't gouging; it's economic reality.

Take the extra bag, have what you need, look nice, be happy and have a great time.

I just paid $4.05 for gasoline for my car. If you ever took Economics 101 you can figure that United (and every other airline) is struggling. Pick up a newspaper ! This isn't gouging; it's economic reality.
Holy cow! Only $4.05? I paid $4.59/gal last week to fill my car with regular. If you go anywhere else in the world, gas prices are much higher than what we're paying now. We've been relatively "lucky" in the U.S. for many years with lower gas prices and are probably now just aligning with other countries. In the past year, cruiselines (and airlines) are paying almost 90% more for fuel than they did a year ago. Their other expenses are going up as well with the increased fuel prices for shipping, etc.

If you go anywhere else in the world, gas prices are much higher than what we're paying now. We've been relatively "lucky" in the U.S. for many years with lower gas prices and are probably now just aligning with other countries.

I don't know about aligning. We still pay far less than many developed countries. See this recent comparison of gas costs around the world:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/5837274.html

Cruisers in the US may remember the gas lines of the late '70s. I would rather have the airlines charge me extra, than to find no airlines flying when I need them due to economic issues. United is one of the few airlines that serves my town. I'll pay the charge; just don't go away!

Archived