Straight from a ship engineer!

Chris,

When was the BIG day???????

Noticed you turned 14!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, I was the Mom who wanted to know if you were done with your homework a while back...my youngest son is 15...so I know about you guys;)

Happy b-lated b-day

LOL! I remember you! My birthday was the 19! :D

Actually I don't like the stepped, jerking motion caused by the stablizers. I'd rather have the smooth sinusoidal motion.

We have been on a few cruises (23) and some in high seas where the drawers came rolling out of the cabinets. We were the only ones at our table to show up for dinner and there were barf bags hung on the railings in the stairwells. I thought it was a bit of fun. On the majority of cruises, it was hard to even sense the ship was actually moving. And yet, there were passengers complaining about the motion. I don't play well with roller coasters, so I don't go on them, can't stand ship motion, find another vacation, a moving ship is not for you.

Last Christmas day the Majesty of the Seas sat still in the water all day long. Perhaps we should have gotten a discount for not sailing in circles?

On the 3 day Mexico cruise from L.A. they used to spend the sea day cruising around Catalina which was really nice,now they turn off the engines and just sit for whole day - what a disappointment, feeling no movement at all.

I am almost sure that on my Jewel cruise in January in the eastern Carib that stabilizers were never on. At first I thought it was because we were experiencing our first aft cabin but I overheard others in the elevators.

Regardless of the drag they create, RCI still owes their passengers a calm ride. I noticed the motion alot in the diningroom each night. Anyone else cruise on Jewel on 1-26? I would be curious to hear your opinion!

We were on a B2B on the Jewel from 1/12 - 1/26. On 1/13, the first sea day on our way to San Juan, many were complaining of seasickness, myself included. They had the barf bags out a couple of times during those two weeks, even though the seas were not that rough. This thread about the stabilizers makes me wonder if that is why we were feeling like that.

I have two more cruises booked and frankly, I'm a little worried if they stop using the stabilizers, since I'm prone to getting seasick. I do take Ginger pills, which seems to help.

I'm all for letting the ship roll. I love it. Nothing like a ship moving up and down and side to side. Let it roll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

As a teen I got to school via the subway, and of course as goofy teens we did not sit we walked thru the cars to find friends and so on. That is about the same as being on the sea. So I have sea legs and just walk the way I did in the subways ( the old cars are not like the sissy ones we were on today; they bumped you all over). It got to the point where I could stand without holding on. So it is all about getting used to it.

I personally am not complaining about a bumpy ride at sea - which can happen in big seas...

I am complaining because when I sailed Carnival Pride last year, the ride was smooth in similar seas, and at similar speeds.

RCL marketing did a huge PR piece on the Freedom series boats - pushing the fact that the stabilizers were state of the art - not for safety but for customer satisfaction.

The whole 'you get what you pay for' argument means nothing to me - especially after spending over $8K on the Freedom.

The point is everyone seems to settle - and in many cases, I can't argue (like a fuel surcharge, or more expensive cabins). BUT when you advertise and market a feature that directly affects many people's customer satisfaction - and then change that feature (for the bad), that's when I take issue with it...

Again, funny thing is, going into a recession - this is a feature that is make or break for many, and for many it is convenient to have.

If H20 zone is close for the week - that's life - when I went on Carnival Pride, the H20 slide was shut down - again that's life... But I can't get off the boat - and the captain/RCL has/have the option to make my sail comfortable.

I wonder how many RCL posers are posting to this thread...

When you call someone an RCI poser because they like a RCI that is really offensive. I am a real person with a Real estate brokers license, would you like me to fax you a copy? How do we know someone is not a carnival or NCL, or just insert whatever other cruiseline here____ poser when they whine about RCI? Sorry honey, this is no longer just an RCI issue as I am sure all the cruise lines do it, however I can say with certainty, land hotels do not have this issue, they will just turn down the AC to save money instead:rolleyes:

Will be on the Mariner May 18th in forward cabins on deck 10. My MIL and FIL will be in an accessible room. I am a little worried because my MIL falls over her own two feet, she is 72 and my FIL 80.

Has anyone traveled with seniors, if so did the rocking cause any problems for them getting around? I would hate for them to not be able to move about on their own.

Oh my gosh, now I've heard everything. It's an ocean, for goodness' sake. Stabilizers are a nice luxury, but as far as I know, they are not a requirement. This whole statement just shows how spoiled and entitled our society has gotten. We are OWED so much.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree, the stabalizers might be a luxury but it is a luxury I've paid for .... if I purchase a mercedes in a showroom, I don't expect to have it delivered without the accessories advertised. We are OWED what we have paid for and what has been advertised. Of course they should not be expected to deploy them at all times, however once the seas become rough enough to affect the passengers, then they have an obligation to endeavour to make the said passengers as comfortable as they can.

It is not a question of finger pointing, it is quite simply a case of a supplier delivering what has been advertised.

Regarding the point someone made of 'you get what you pay for'. Just one of my forthcoming cruises is costing $20k cruise only ..... I think I'm paying for a luxury vacation at this price and I expect to receive 'value for money' ...

I do suffer from seasickness, but I control it with Bonine, however I always expect to have a couple of rough days during any cruise, which I accept as part of the package.

<snip>

This forum seems to be broken down to 50% great information from cruisers who help others - new cruisers, etc...and I think that is great...thanks to them over and over...your useful knowledge from past experience is a god send to most. the other 50% is back in forth garbage talk directed to either those who constantly whine and complain or those firing back at postings about strong beliefs.

Two words...Subjective posting and objective postings. One is good, the other is not.

I disagree (which is, of course, subjective, but so is your post). First, all posts here that relate experiences are subjective. Unless you would like everyone to simply relate rote facts, there will always be opinion amidst the past experiences. Second, there's nothing at all wrong with subjective posts. That's part of what these forums are for. If you want plain facts, go to the cruise line websites. If threads like this bother you, don't read or post on them.

beachchick

your car wont get good mileage if you drive down the street with the doors open,same with the ship,i was waiting to hear this,cause i knew the drag when using the stables would use alot more fuel,now we will be really sailing lol;)

I'm sorry but I totally disagree, the stabalizers might be a luxury but it is a luxury I've paid for .... if I purchase a mercedes in a showroom, I don't expect to have it delivered without the accessories advertised. We are OWED what we have paid for and what has been advertised. Of course they should not be expected to deploy them at all times, however once the seas become rough enough to affect the passengers, then they have an obligation to endeavour to make the said passengers as comfortable as they can.

your car wont get good mileage if you drive down the street with the doors open,same with the ship,i was waiting to hear this,cause i knew the drag when using the stables would use alot more fuel,now we will be really sailing lol

They use the stabilizers when they need to and are able to. There are times that they can not be used.

This is from the company that engineers the stabilizers:

Key Benefits

• Improved safety and vessel performance
  • Increased passenger comfort
  • Enhanced cargo protection
  • Lower fuel costs
  • Reduced cargo lashing
  • Worldwide Sperry Marine Service

Key Highlights

• Proven design to maximum performance and reliability
  • Innovative “Lift Control” feature that enhances stabilisation efficiency and machinery service life
  • Combined with lift control the fin unit, utilising a tail flap, improves the lift to drag ratio thereby, minimising drag and saving fuel
  • New Digital Control System with serial connectivity and simple to use touchscreen controls
  • Upgraded machinery elements to enhance performance and supportability
  • Dedicated Project Management Team that provides an array of support services from technical consulting to commissioning

You can read about the stabilizers yourself:

http://www.sperrymarine.northropgrumman.com/Products/Ship_Stabilisers/gyrofin/

http://www.sperrymarine.northropgrumman.com/Products/Ship_Stabilisers/gyrofin/benefits/

The first link and second link are form the same company, FYI.

Why do people go on cruises that are prone to seasickenss...? Help me understand this...? If you know you have a chance of getting sick for 1 or 2 or more days...why do it...you know you are going to be misserable...? DON'T ANSWER THIS HERE - I STARTED THIS QUESTION IN A NEW THREAD

On the 3 day Mexico cruise from L.A. they used to spend the sea day cruising around Catalina which was really nice,now they turn off the engines and just sit for whole day - what a disappointment, feeling no movement at all.

I can see that being disappointing, not to have the view change, were there also fewer ocean breezes from sitting still? I guess there are at least 3 concerns about cost cutting measures related to fuel costs: less time in port, parking on a sea day, and potentially rougher seas if stabilizers used less frequently.

I'm not sure how much it would cost per passenger to spend the money on fuel necessary to address those concerns, to essentially go back to the way it was. I have a feeling it's a nominal amount relative to the vacation expenditure that I would gladly pay.

For your information, during storms the captain will sometimes pull in the stabilizers because of the fear of them breaking off or getting damaged. We've had captains announce this over the intercom system.

Didn't something like this just happen on the Navigator? The broken stabilizer led to a near riot on board.

When you call someone an RCI poser because they like a RCI that is really offensive. How do we know someone is not a carnival or NCL, or just insert whatever other cruiseline here____ poser when they whine about RCI? Sorry honey, this is no longer just an RCI issue as I am sure all the cruise lines do it, however I can say with certainty, land hotels do not have this issue, they will just turn down the AC to save money instead:rolleyes:

You rock. ;)

So I am trying to keep up with all of the postings in between phone calls at work...and now I am quite worried because my final payment of my July cruise is due next week...I have some issues with sea-sickness, but I do rely on the stabilizers to keep the ship as smooth as possible and then rely on medication to help the rest of it so that I can actually enjoy my vacation...now I am wondering if I should cancel the darn thing so that I don't spend the next 3 months worrying about it! :mad:

When you call someone an RCI poser because they like a RCI that is really offensive. I am a real person with a Real estate brokers license, would you like me to fax you a copy? How do we know someone is not a carnival or NCL, or just insert whatever other cruiseline here____ poser when they whine about RCI? Sorry honey, this is no longer just an RCI issue as I am sure all the cruise lines do it, however I can say with certainty, land hotels do not have this issue, they will just turn down the AC to save money instead:rolleyes:

No need to take offense if you don't work for RCL :cool: - I never said *you*work for RCL - {IMHO} nobody here realizes how many posts originate from RCL marketing...

So I am trying to keep up with all of the postings in between phone calls at work...and now I am quite worried because my final payment of my July cruise is due next week...I have some issues with sea-sickness, but I do rely on the stabilizers to keep the ship as smooth as possible and then rely on medication to help the rest of it so that I can actually enjoy my vacation...now I am wondering if I should cancel the darn thing so that I don't spend the next 3 months worrying about it! :mad:

Sea sickness is a relative thing - and the odds of you having the same cruise as us is low. That said, our cruise was in 3-5 foot seas (relatively calm). It was worse going down and coming up (ship was at speed), but it persisted during the week... Nether me or DW threw up, DW was way under the weather, but refused pills. I took pills, and they definitely helped - but I took them religiously twice a day (along with wearing seabands) - and still felt sick at times...

I think the telling sign was feeling the movement in the promenade...

I won't be cruising New years unless I *know* the ship is using its stabilizers...

Key Benefits

• Lower fuel costs
  • Reduced cargo lashing

Key Highlights

• Innovative “Lift Control” feature that enhances stabilisation efficiency and machinery service life
  • Combined with lift control the fin unit, utilising a tail flap, improves the lift to drag ratio thereby, minimising drag and saving fuel
  • New Digital Control System with serial connectivity and simple to use touchscreen controls
  • Dedicated Project Management Team that provides an array of support services from technical consulting to commissioning

That's funny let me try editing that to highlight the other relavent issues to this thread:

Key Benefits

• Lower fuel costs
  • Reduced cargo lashing

Key Highlights

• Dedicated Project Management Team that provides an array of support services from technicals theysulting to commissioning

No lets talk about the other relevant areas. 1st, this is a marketing piece *not* done by RCL, but done by the makers of a stabilizer system. The fact we have seen repeated is the stabilizers are not used for *FUEL* efficiency, but your posts says they increase fuel efficiency??????

RCL markets this boat series (the Freedom class) as having state of the art stabilization for *passenger comfort*.

BTW - if everyone who is prone to sea sickness stops cruising, it will kill the industry. I'd start selling by stock now (I personally did last week) :cool:

Sea sickness is a relative thing - and the odds of you having the same cruise as us is low. That said, our cruise was in 3-5 foot seas (relatively calm). It was worse going down and coming up (ship was at speed), but it persisted during the week... Nether me or DW threw up, DW was way under the weather, but refused pills. I took pills, and they definitely helped - but I took them religiously twice a day (along with wearing seabands) - and still felt sick at times...

I think the telling sign was feeling the movement in the promenade...

I won't be cruising New years unless I *know* the ship is using its stabilizers...

I know, I want to make sure 100% that the stabilizers are going to be working...I figure if I call RCCL they will probably tell me whatever I want to hear in order to keep me from cancelling...but as you and anyone else who has ever had sea-sickness know - it's a miserable feeling that I definitely don't want to feel again....

UH, Has anyone actually seen a written policy from Royal Caribbean that they are no longer using stabilizers?

Or, is this just based on the statement of a 14 year old early in this thread?

No offense to the 14 year old...you seem to be quite educated on cruising...but it seems that all this bellyaching is based on hearsay.

It is not a question of finger pointing, it is quite simply a case of a supplier delivering what has been advertised.

Regarding the point someone made of 'you get what you pay for'. Just one of my forthcoming cruises is costing $20k cruise only ..... I think I'm paying for a luxury vacation at this price and I expect to receive 'value for money' ...

I do suffer from seasickness, but I control it with Bonine, however I always expect to have a couple of rough days during any cruise, which I accept as part of the package.

But we are talking litigation here from another post. They are a luxury in the sense of what they are REQUIRED to do from a liability standpoint. I'm not aware of any law which states that ships must always use stabilizers if they have them. You might well be within your rights to be ticked off if stabilizers aren't being used in a given situation (and I doubt many of us are in the position to really know that a captain "should" or "should not" be using them from a safety persepctive as most of us don't have an understanding of that), but that is a far cry from being able to successfully SUE the cruise line for not using them.

It's just gets tiresome to always read that the answer for any grievance is to SUE sue sue.

As far as them advertising stabilizers, I guess I never paid attention to the ads, because I never heard of stabilizers until I found this site. I certainly never booked a particular ship because they were heavily marketing the stabilizer feature. But that doesn't mean others don't.

UH, Has anyone actually seen a written policy from Royal Caribbean that they are no longer using stabilizers?

Or, is this just based on the statement of a 14 year old early in this thread?

No offense to the 14 year old...you seem to be quite educated on cruising...but it seems that all this bellyaching is based on hearsay.

LOL, that is a very good point.

Exarolf - No lets talk about the other relevant areas. 1st, this is a marketing piece *not* done by RCL, but done by the makers of a stabilizer system. The fact we have seen repeated is the stabilizers are not used for *FUEL* efficiency, but your posts says they increase fuel efficiency??????

Hey, the information I quoted was from the manufacture. I did not make that info up - sorry to burst your bubble on this fuel thing.

Key Benefits

• Lower fuel costs
  • Reduced cargo lashing

Key Highlights

Good god!

I rode an elevator with what turned out to be a senior ship engineer. I asked him why our ship was rocking and rolling in relatively calm seas, 4-6 foot. His reply to me was: "Due to fuel prices they and other cruise lines are no longer deploying their stailizers to reduce drag in the water." Therefore we should all expect a less than smooth voyage in the future. He also said the stabilizers cause the ship to burn up to 10% more fuel. I thought that the fuel surcharge was to offset skyrocketing fuel prices. Go figure. :(

Seems to me there is more than the 14 yr old's confirmation, there's the OP who spoke to the senior ship engineer. Probably not much you can do but see if you get whoozy on day when it seems seas are relatively light/moderate, ask an engineer about stabilizers and if they aren't in use, complain to guest services and write about it on comment card.

It might appear to RCCL that this is place to relatively easily save some money w/o passengers even realizing what is going on or complaining. They might be thinking about here and now costs instead of cost to the industy b/c some passengers decide cruising isn't for them after some whooze days. If their feedback cards let them know pax are hip to this and don't like it, they'll figure out they need to turn them back on and figure out how to pass the costs along or save money elsewhere.

Archived