Vanilla?

Bruce&Pam

This is a really stupid question and I should know the answer, but I don't. Pam wants to pick up on of those giant bottles of Vanilla that they sell cheap in Cozumel. Does that count as one of our bottles of Liquor?

I never really thought about it before.

---Bruce

I don't get it. Why is it cheaper in Mexico? (I don't know anything about vanilla except it smells good.)

I have no idea why it is cheaper but I brought back three bottles, $1.00 each, when I went to Mexico in February. But then everything is cheaper in Mexico so....

I had to smile when I saw this post --- on our 2nd cruise we went to Cozumel and picked up a bottle of Vanilla for my parents and one for ourselves (I do not bake --- but it was a good deal and I thought I would get inspired)...

On our next cruise -- I ended up picking up 12 bottles of Vanilla... Everyone that we would normally bring a little souvenier back for (ie. the cat sitter, my co-workers, DH's co-workers, etc)... Makes the best - and most appreciated souveniers for those that are stuck at home.

Oh by the way, we drive to the ports (DS can't fly) so didn't have to worry about baggage handlers or over-packing.

Tracey

Please, please, be very careful about any vanilla that you buy in Mexico!! Most of it is not real and a lot of it can be very bad for you. (full of nasty chemicals) Here is a like to one site with some go info. http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

Please do some searching on you own too if want to buy any in Mexico. I suggest that you get it at Costco. They have large bottle of the real stuff that is at a great price.

Earlier this year, I asked about buying vanilla in Mexico. There were some very interesting responses with things I didn't think about. Here is the link to that thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=673361

In the end, I didn't buy any vanilla.

Thats a good thread about Vanilla, lots of info there. It also talks about coumarin.

Fred

Do you want the best vanilla very cheap?

Make your own!

2 cups vodka (cheap is as good as top shelf for this)

4 Vanilla beans (good beans should be leathery and pliable, not hard and brittle)

With the tip of a knife split vanilla beans down the middle, put in a very clean glass bottle large enough to hold the 2 cups of Vodka, pour the vodka over the beans, let steep for at least 4 weeks, there is no need to remove the beans, but you can if you want to.

This is the best Vanilla that you can get, no additives, all natural, and I can really taste the difference in my buttercream.

The Mexican Vanillas that I have bought in the past have never smelled as good as this stuff or had the intense flavor of the homemade stuff (and don't fool yourself, Mexico doesn't have the same strict labeling laws that we do, I find that scary)

a good place to get good vanilla beans cheap is at World Market/Cost plus, or at penzeys.com.

You can make small bottles and give them as gifts.

This costs about $8 for 16oz, McCormic is about $4-$5 for 2oz here

MAC

Archived