Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

I'm going on my third cruise in 15 days and was told I can only check on one suitcase on my flight. I weighed the suitcase that I didn't think weighed that much and it turns out it weighs 12.5 pounds EMPTY!!! Considering we now have to pack toiletries and cosmetics in the checked bag so we don't get hassled at the airport that takes several more pounds. Packing a whole week's worth of clothing and swimsuits and SHOES into one bag and then put a formal dress in that bag....not going to happen! Sorry to all that won't like it but times have changed even if it isn't for the better we now have to pack lighter for our trips especially for those of us that like to bring back a few souvenirs like a coach purse or two.

So I'm away for a few months, and now I'm hearing that Carnival's dropping Formal for Elegant? Ugh. I didn't really care much when other people chose to dress down -- as long as it was called FORMAL night I still felt appropriate in my tuxedo and loved having my rare opportunity to do so. But if it's no longer 'formal', I'm not sure a tux makes sense anymore, even though Carnival will be gracious enough to "allow" it.

So for those of you who like the idea of formal: will you still dress as though it were Black Tie, or will you go down to dressy?

When did you buy your plane tickets? We purchased ours through US Air before their Feb. 26 new fee policy and they have waived the 2nd bag charge. (of course we're printing it up in case the worker at the check-in gets piffy with us) United also has a waiver of some kind. They're not "announcing" these waivers, so it would be worth it to check their website. Good luck!!!

I like to think we always "dress up" for every night in the dining room, only on formal nights my husband wears a coat and tie and I wear a black dress. I don't think asking to dress up for two nights of a seven night cruise is asking too much, but apparently for some, it is. On our last cruise we saw so many people in shorts and tshirts and WET HAIR at dinner and yes, in the dining room. Please, go to the buffet, or at the very least, DRY YOUR HAIR! Carnival even provides the hair dryer for you!

We will continue to wear our formal wear - tux and long gown. One reason we always ask for a table for two is so we don't have to worry about what the others are wearing. Dressing up is fun and makes the whole atmosphere more special. If the clothes fit properly they shouldn't be uncomfortable to wear.

I always look forward to dressing up on formal nights on a cruise. We have taken some really great photos and I will continue to get all dressed up on formal nights. My DH gets to wear his tux and I get to buy a new dress!!! Who doesn't like that??;)

Carnival is not inforcing the dress code so it should be dropped. I wish they would keep it and inforce it but, that is just me.

I personally sent a comment to Carnival that dinning room dress code should be inforced or dropped. I don't care what others wear but, if they are allowing a guy in the dinning room with shorts and a wife beater on formal night..........

Shorts were allowed every night and printed in the Capers every day they aren't.......

Hi:

My dw and I will be going on our first cruise in November and I will definitely wear a tux, don't really care what everyone else wears just wish November got here quicker.

Dave

Thats the attitude! You'll have a great cruise:D

So far from what I saw out of Miami onboard Freedom and my Short 3 day Paradise cruise out of Long Beach, everyone came to Formal night dressed to kill, we will continue to dress on Formal night or what ever they call it now.

Fred

Hi Trock & Halos!

Thank you for the kudos!

It is eye opening when you are told that you have an 80% blockage in one of your arteries! The feeling of inmortality goes "poof"! I have a stent now and I am so grateful that God has given me a second chance.

Another perk: All this exercising on a daily basis and eating right is actually fun! My trainer comes to my home twice a week and puts me through delicious torture. I have turned my 2-car garage into a gym! Bowflex, treadmill, bike, kettlebells, TRX cord, etc.

Oops, I hijacked the thread, my apologies to the OP and to all others!

Lee:D

Hi Trock & Halos!

Thank you for the kudos!

It is eye opening when you are told that you have an 80% blockage in one of your arteries! The feeling of inmortality goes "poof"! I have a stent now and I am so grateful that God has given me a second chance.

Another perk: All this exercising on a daily basis and eating right is actually fun! My trainer comes to my home twice a week and puts me through delicious torture. I have turned my 2-car garage into a gym! Bowflex, treadmill, bike, kettlebells, TRX cord, etc.

Oops, I hijacked the thread, my apologies to the OP and to all others!

Lee:D

WOW YOU ARE DEDICATED!

I don't care what they call it or what anybody else wears I like seeing the guys in Tux's or military men in their Dress Uniforms. Nothing makes us girl swoon more than seeing men dressed in these two styles. I will still dress up too.

Well, we still wear suits at work (men and women). I happen to think I look great in a pantsuit! ;)

The rest of the time, I'm in jeans. Never go out in public in sweats. Ever. Sheesh, doesn't anyone watch "What Not to Wear?" :p

DD & I always "dress" for dinner. On casual nights, it may be "just" a dress with strappy sandals. DD wore a gorgeous silk mandarin jacket one night with black straight-legged jeans and heels and she got many compliments.

It's all about the outfit and the thought & effort put into deciding what to wear and how to wear it!

We're tall women and we like to put on nice clothing and heels and be glam in the evenings.

If other women chose to wander the ship in sloppy jeans or sweats, then we'll just look that much better. But it isn't about what others think of us. It's about how great we feel about ourselves!

...then we'll just look that much better.

Crap! You took my answer.:D

Yeah, I'm another one who is disappointed that Carnival is presenting such a relaxed posture on this - no pun intended - but it won't change me in the slightest. Wifey and I actually have frequent occasion to get dudded up - but it never gets old. When I served, I wore my dress green uniform, since then it's either a tux or dinner jacket. This next time 'round I'll be in a formal kilt.

I love to turn heads - Guess one could think of this new policy as less competition for the spotlight.:p

Rep

I recently told my husband about the change from formal night to elegant night and asked if he still wanted to get dressed up the way we had planned (suit and tie and long gown). He looked at me as if I had gone bonkers. His reaction, "Just because others don't see fit to dress appropriately on a special night to dinner (meaning Captain's Gala) doesn't mean we have to dress down. I agree. The Captain's Dinner is and should be a formal occasion. How many chances do we get to dine with the Captain of a Cruise ship. It isn't just formal night. It is a special dinner party with the Captain and will not insult the Captain of my ship by wearing jeans and a "Iron Maiden" t-shirt. Please, show respect to your Captain by dressing appropriately for HIS dinner.

Just my opinion.

To answer the OP's question.... I will do what I always do on formal (elegant) night. I will wear a dark 3 piece suit with a nice tie. By the way... does anybody know how much it costs to rent a tux on board the ship? I've often thought of doing that.

Of course we know!

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx?cat=Formal+Wear+Rentals

On Miracle, other than the Worst Tablemate Ever (Alice), the other 3 people were a couple and their friend, an Englishman. It was their first Carnival cruise (there were Celebrity/HAL people). The men showed up in their tuxedos and looked fabulous. Sadly, they felt a little overdressed, although there were other men wearing them. The 2nd formal night, they were "just" in suits. They still looked fantastic.

Wear the tux, guys! You look wonderful!

Archived