Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

You can't tear out coupons from Tour Saver. You have to take the book with you and let them tear it out. I asked if I could just bring the coupon and they said no, I had to bring the whole book to them, probably to avoid trading like this. It's a bummer.

Day 1: DTW to Vancouver, stay overnight in downtown (take cab ($36-40) from airport and cancelled cruise transfer).

Day 2: Hang around downtown until boarding boat before 4PM. (Diamond Princess)

Day 3: At sea

Day 4: Ketchikan- Bought toursaver book and got 2 for 1 deal on Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration (booked privately). They will pick us up at boat at 7AM. Take Walking tour of town and perhaps take in the Greatest American Lumberjack Show if we have time.

Day 5: Juneau- Whale watching tour with Harv and Marv's (booked privately) and after tour they will drop us at the Mendenhall Glacier. We'll hang out there and take the shuttle back to the boat.

Day 6: Skagway- Rented a car from Sourdough Rentals ($80) to drive to Yukon (Emerald Lake); a little hiking, perhaps the Jewel Gardens if time permits.

Day 7: Glacier Bay NP cruising

Day 8: College Fjord cruising

Day 9: Anchorage, transfer to coach to Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge.

Day 10: Hike the Harding Icefield Trail (the largest icefield in the world!). We got a taxi from PJs to take us to the icefield and back and maybe have dinner in Seward.

Day 11: Coach to McKinley Princess Lodge

Day 12: Hang out and relax. Look at the view because optimistically, we'll have a great view of the Mt. ALL DAY! LOL

Day 13: Coach to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge

Day 14: Upgraded to Tundra Tour at Denali NP.

Day 15: Train to Fairbanks

Day 16: Gold Mining trip and Sternwheeler Riverboat Cruise

Day 17: Fairbanks to Denver, stay the night.

Day 18: Denver to Detroit.

We booked everything privately rather than through the cruise lines. Our tours are in the early morning so we won't be cutting it close to the time when the boat leaves and we were able to get on much smaller tours and have the freedom of customizing our tours. We've heard that the Harding Icefield is one of the most magnificent places to hike. You can see the Exit Glacier, which is an easy walk, or do the more strenuous Icefield, which is 8 miles RT and gains 3600 ft. of elevation over 4 miles. Princess only offers a few tours around their lodge and they are $100-$200 per person and we didn't care for any of them. PJ's taxi will pick up a vanload of up to 9 people for $100 each way and you'll have a great day at the same price or less, depending on how many go, as you would on one of the Princess tours. We deliberately left time every day to call it by ear, so as not to over schedule ourselves. We also booked our air home a little different. The customary route to DTW had us leaving Fairbanks early, sitting in Anchorage half a day and then leaving at 11PM to fly to Chicago. We didn't want to fly at night b/c it's exhausting trying to sleep sitting up. So we got a flight that leaves Fairbanks early and arrives in Denver around 9PM and then we get a good night's rest (and we're resting before our flight would even take off from Anchorage!) and fly on to DTW the next day. Also, by doing it this way we've split the time change in half (over two days), allowing ourselves to get back on our schedule a little easier, we think.

Planning for rain every day, hoping we'll be pleasantly surprised and have sun, but by expecting rain we won't feel so disappointed if it happens and we'll feel awesome if it's sunny!

Alaska Trip and Shore Excursions

May 11 Fly to Vancouver, stay at Pan Pacific Hotel at Canada Centre

May 12 Tour of Victoria and Bouchard Gardens

May 13 Board Holland America Zaandam

May 14 Cruising inside passage

May 15 Ketchikan: take the bus to Totem Bight and Potlatch Park, bus pass ($3 for day), Creek Street and salmon ladder

May 16 Juneau: whale watching and Mendenhall boat tour through Harv and Marv’s *http://www.harvandmarvs.com/alaskawhalewatching.html*, spend more time at Mendenhall, walk around Juneau,

May 17 Skagway: White Pass RR Summit trip through HAL 3-3.5 hrs , walk around town, park service tour, Arctic Brotherhood Hall

May 18 Glacier Bay cruising

May 20 Seward: Kenai Fjords trip 7.5 hrs., buffet included:

http://www.alaskatravel.com/seward/major-marine-kenai-fjords-special.html

May 21 Alaska Sealife Center, bus to Anchorage

May 21 Anchorage: walked around downtown

May 22 Train to Denali, then Flightseeing trip to McKinley

May 23 Tundra Wilderness Tour and Cabin Nite

May 24 Sled dog show at visitor center, train to Fairbanks

May 25 Fairbanks: Gold Dredge and Riverboat

May 26 Museum of the North, fly home

The trip was just perfect - we loved every minute. Wish we could have flown Southwest, though. We just love them, and HATED paying for those bags!

You can't tear out coupons from Tour Saver. You have to take the book with you and let them tear it out. I asked if I could just bring the coupon and they said no, I had to bring the whole book to them, probably to avoid trading like this. It's a bummer.

Thanks for the info. Good to know this.

Do you need to print the guide or is it available at the park or the visitors center?

I would suggest you take it with you. The "visitor center", is real small "hut". Not predictable if someone is even there, or what supplys they may have run out of. :)

I would suggest you take it with you. The "visitor center", is real small "hut". Not predictable if someone is even there, or what supplys they may have run out of. :)

Thanks as always, BQ.

ETA

NB from Vancouver to Whittier-

Island Princess- Aug. 15, 2012

This is what I have planned/booked for hubby and I

8-14-Roc-Seattle arriving 11:15 pm

overnight at airport hotel- Hilton Honors points

8-15- 8:30 am Transfer to Vancouver via Princess shuttle

8-16- At Sea

8-17-Ketchikan-

Public bus to Bight State Park & next door Potlatch Park

Mt Tribal Hatchery & Eagle Center

Saxman Native Village to see totem poles being carved

Duck Tour-akduck.com

shopping for souvenirs & eat at local joint

8-18 Juneau-

Whale watch with Orca Enterprises

MGT's Blue Glacier Express to Mendenhall Glacier $16 rt

Mt Roberts Tram

Glacier Gardens Rainforest tour - Juneautours if time

MGT's Red Trolly City Tour if time

8-19 Skagway

7 hour tour

The Yukon Discovery tour by bus with CHILKOOT CHARTERS & TOURS

Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake

Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp & lunch

8-20 Scenic cruising Glacier Bay Napt Park

8-21 College Fjord scenic cruising

8-22 Arrival

Whittier- 9 am-noon

Shuttle to Anchorage with narrated tour 3hours inlcudes 3 stops

Portage Glacier valley

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Turnagain Arm

@Anchorage- booked a B&B for resting , showering..leaving for airport

at 11:30pm

while in Anchorage- Aviation museum

Bike Rental for a few hours - if good weather

Alaska Heritage center

New & improved... added & tweaked.

Edited by ISLABONITA

Celebrity Infinity 6/22/12

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords 2 hr w/Island Wings, SE Alaska Discover Center, Creek Street - Married Man's Trail hike

Juneau - Helicopter to Mendenhall (booked through ship) , walk on glacier. Mt. Roberts Tramway, Alaska State Museum, Mining Museum

Skagway - Glacier Poiont Wilderness Safari (booked through ship)

Victoria - Whale watching (booked myself)

As first time cruisers we thought Alaska would be a good place to start. Here is our preliminary schedule. Would appreciate any suggestions (or warnings!), and information on the best zipline available, given our ports.

FIRST TIMER CRUISE ITINERARY

(Will post review success/failure when we return)

Fri, Sep 14: Arrive in Vancouver, check in at Helen's Place B&B, which sounds absolutely fascinating.

Sat, Sep 15: Ho-Ho Trolley (2 days for price of one online) self tour of Stanley Park, Granville Island, anything else we see. VIJ's Indian Restaurant?

Sun, Sep 16: To port, drop bags. Ho-Ho around town until boarding about 2:30. Depart Vancouver, British Columbia 4:30 PM

Mon, Sep 17: Inside Passage / Cruising. Dinner in Murano

Tue, Sep 18: Sitka. Docked 8:00 AM 5:00 PM. Sitka National Historic Park/Totem Park hiking, walking tour.

Wed, Sep 19: Hubbard Glacier / Cruising 7:00 AM 11:00 AM

Thu, Sep 20: Skagway. Docked 7:00 AM 8:30 PM. Dyea Dave tour: Train to Carcross, then van return to Skagway. Walking tour of Skagway (Park Service tour, salmon ladder, Jewell Gardens, etc.)

Fri, Sep 21: Juneau. Docked 7:00 AM 6:00 PM. Juneau walking tour. Mt. Roberts Tram. Juneau Rainforest Garden. Alaska Canopy Adventures??

Sat, Sep 22: Icy Strait Point. Tendered 7:00 AM 4:00 PM. F.I.S.H.E.S. Whale watching tour. Depart 7:30 on 3 hour tour. Thorough 5 minute walking tour of Icy Strait Point! Lunch at the Crab Station on the dock: Comparison of King, Dungeness and Snow crab. Can't wait.

Sun, Sep 23: Ketchikan. Docked 12:00 PM 7:30 PM. Creek Street stroll, Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, (Southeast Exposure Adventure Center????) Alaska Canopy Adventures?? Last chance for crab at the Crab Cracker.

Mon, Sep 24: Inside Passage / Cruising

Tue, Sep 25: Arrive Vancouver, British Columbia / 7:00 AM. Fly home. Fight PCD.

Edited by QShip

Sat, Sep 15: Ho-Ho Trolley (2 days for price of one online) self tour of Stanley Park, Granville Island, anything else we see. VIJ's Indian Restaurant?

I know that's where we're headed :)

Where did you find the 2 for 1 HoHo $? I remember reading it somewhere but forgot to write it down. Thanks

Thanks for the trolley sked Mike.

My husband likens my first Vij's experience to some kind of takeover. I have never eaten Indian food at a restaurant before, but am a great cook and LOVE spices.

If you head over to the Trip Advisor site and check under Vancouver restaurant reviews, you'll see they are (were) #1. And I'm sure they can supply you with more info than I....BUT the Samosas appetizers; lamb popsicles and spot prawns were AWESOME....as was the Naan bread and dipping sauce and Chai.

I do know we got there (as instructed thru TA) prior to their 530 pm opening time and were the first on line (no reservations); to be joined by many others shortly. It was a fun experience waiting outside and meeting others and sharing different views and experiences. A lovely group of three Canadian women asked us our top 3 spots to visit in NYC, which they were planning to visit in a few months (we are from NY) and we still argue over it to this day!

I know I'll be perusing their new menu shortly for our August return.

ENJOY!

Thu, Sep 20: Skagway. Docked 7:00 AM 8:30 PM. Dyea Dave tour: Train to Carcross, then van return to Skagway. Walking tour of Skagway (Park Service tour, salmon ladder, Jewell Gardens, etc.)

Sorry, but this train doesn't even run in Sept. You must be looking at the Fraser train, which is British columbia. Hard to figure out from your description- what you have booked?? But, if you indeed are "returning" to Skagway from the train, then you aren't going to Skagway or getting into the Yukon, and would be a short 3+ hour tour. If a longer tour, then you will be going further from Fraser by road, into the Yukon, with a turn around at Emerald Lake.

Good morning,

We are booked on Radiance of the Seas Cruisetour #13 Southbound. The "We" includes my husband, my 2 children and of course me!

Here is our planned itinerary:

Thurs 6/21 Arrive in Fairbanks, get rental car and check in at Pike's Waterfront Lodge (chosen because this is where our cruisetour starts and i didn't want to have to change hotels again!) drop off bags and proceed to North Pole to visit Santa Claus House, have dinner at Pagoda Restaurant and then off to the Midnight Sun Baseball Game

Fri 6/22 Riverboat Discovery followed by The El Dorado Gold Mine (currently operating at Gold Dredge No 8) followed by dinner at Silver Gulch Brewery

Sat 6/23 Off to the Arctic Circle via Air in the morning, followed by the Hot Springs and Ice Museum when we return, drop off the rental car and dinner at Pike's Landing, check in with cruisetour this evening

Sun 6/24 Cruisetour begins - early domed rail from Fairbanks to Denali followed by the Natural History Bus Tour, and dinner at the hotel or the Cabin Nite Dinner Treatre (still deciding), overnight at the McKinley Village Lodge

Mon 6/25 Neana White Water Rafting in the morning followed by the train to Talkeetna in the afternoon. Talkeetna Lake Hike in the evening followed by late night snacks at the hotel. Overnight at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

Tues 6/26 Shuttle to Talkeetna to check out the town and have bkfst at the Talkeetna Roadhouse and perhaps an early afternoon hike on another trail. Late afternoon train from Talkeetna to Anchorage. Overnight at the Marriott.

Wed 6/27 morning at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, followed by the bus to Alyeska with a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Dinner with tram ride at Seven Glaciers Restaurant. Overnight at the Alyeska Resort.

Thur 6/28 early moring bus ride to Seward with an afternoon Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise. Dinner at Resurrection Bay Restaurant and overnight at the Seward Windsong Lodge

Fri 6/29 my husband and son will be doing an full day fishing excursion while my daughter and I do the Exit Glacier Hike in the morning followed by Horseback riding in the afternoon. We all board the boat late in the afternoon.

Sat 6/30 cruising day past Hubbard Glacier

Sun 7/1 Juneau - morning helicopter ride with Dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier, have lunch, change clothes and disembark again for the Mount Roberts Tramway and some sightseeing

Mon 7/2 Skagway - moring Yukon Jeep Adventure with a walking tour of Skagway upon our return

Tues 7/3 Icy Strait Point - ATV Adventure in the moring, and a walk over to Hoonah upon our return, a quick visit to the cannery and back aboard

Wed 7/4 Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in the morning and a self guided walking tour upon our return to the Totem Heritage Center and fish hatchery, salmon ladder etc....

Thur 7/5 a relaxing Inside Passage Cruising Day

Fri 7/6 early disembarkation and cab to Fairmont Vancouver Airport to drop bags and grab car rental. Off to Capilano Suspension Bridge followed by Stanley Park (renting bikes for Seawall) and anything else of interest we decide to see

Sat 7/7 depart Vancouver for home.....

Sun 7/8 LAUNDRY!!!!

Mon 7/9 Back to reality and work!!!

Good morning,

We are booked on Radiance of the Seas Cruisetour #13 Southbound. The "We" includes my husband, my 2 children and of course me!

Here is our planned itinerary:

Thurs 6/21 Arrive in Fairbanks, get rental car and check in at Pike's Waterfront Lodge (chosen because this is where our cruisetour starts and i didn't want to have to change hotels again!) drop off bags and proceed to North Pole to visit Santa Claus House, have dinner at Pagoda Restaurant and then off to the Midnight Sun Baseball Game

Fri 6/22 Riverboat Discovery followed by The El Dorado Gold Mine (currently operating at Gold Dredge No 8) followed by dinner at Silver Gulch Brewery

Sat 6/23 Off to the Arctic Circle via Air in the morning, followed by the Hot Springs and Ice Museum when we return, drop off the rental car and dinner at Pike's Landing, check in with cruisetour this evening

Sun 6/24 Cruisetour begins - early domed rail from Fairbanks to Denali followed by the Natural History Bus Tour, and dinner at the hotel or the Cabin Nite Dinner Treatre (still deciding), overnight at the McKinley Village Lodge

Mon 6/25 Neana White Water Rafting in the morning followed by the train to Talkeetna in the afternoon. Talkeetna Lake Hike in the evening followed by late night snacks at the hotel. Overnight at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

Tues 6/26 Shuttle to Talkeetna to check out the town and have bkfst at the Talkeetna Roadhouse and perhaps an early afternoon hike on another trail. Late afternoon train from Talkeetna to Anchorage. Overnight at the Marriott.

Wed 6/27 morning at the Alaska Native Heritage Center, followed by the bus to Alyeska with a stop at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Dinner with tram ride at Seven Glaciers Restaurant. Overnight at the Alyeska Resort.

Thur 6/28 early moring bus ride to Seward with an afternoon Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise. Dinner at Resurrection Bay Restaurant and overnight at the Seward Windsong Lodge

Fri 6/29 my husband and son will be doing an full day fishing excursion while my daughter and I do the Exit Glacier Hike in the morning followed by Horseback riding in the afternoon. We all board the boat late in the afternoon.

Sat 6/30 cruising day past Hubbard Glacier

Sun 7/1 Juneau - morning helicopter ride with Dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier, have lunch, change clothes and disembark again for the Mount Roberts Tramway and some sightseeing

Mon 7/2 Skagway - moring Yukon Jeep Adventure with a walking tour of Skagway upon our return

Tues 7/3 Icy Strait Point - ATV Adventure in the moring, and a walk over to Hoonah upon our return, a quick visit to the cannery and back aboard

Wed 7/4 Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in the morning and a self guided walking tour upon our return to the Totem Heritage Center and fish hatchery, salmon ladder etc....

Thur 7/5 a relaxing Inside Passage Cruising Day

Fri 7/6 early disembarkation and cab to Fairmont Vancouver Airport to drop bags and grab car rental. Off to Capilano Suspension Bridge followed by Stanley Park (renting bikes for Seawall) and anything else of interest we decide to see

Sat 7/7 depart Vancouver for home.....

Sun 7/8 LAUNDRY!!!!

Mon 7/9 Back to reality and work!!!

Sounds like an amazing trip, have a blast!!!

-KD

I think the itinerary is about as set as it can be, we ordered our flights to Vancouver yesterday!

July 7th we have an early flight to Vancouver for a before the cruise visit.

Saturday pm, Sunday and Monday we will have for the three of us to explore. These days are not committed to anything, although the Public Market on Granville Island is on my list of *wanna see* places.

Tuesday pm, the rest of the Clan arrives and we will be hooked up with their HOHO plans on Tuesday pm, and Wednesday. Stanley Park and the rest of the tourist stops will be in the works.

Thursday, we will be with them on a bus trip to Whistler and back.

Friday, we board the Millennium and head north.

Saturday at sea.

Sunday, Ketchikan with Kayaks and Sea Plane over the fjords with Southeast Sea Kayaks

Monday, Icy Straight Point/Hoonah Whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge.

Tuesday, Juneau for independent glacier hiking and brew tasting at the Alaskan Brewery on the way back to the ship. We are just going to take the local bus/shuttle and explore.

Wednesday, Skagway with a car rental Driving out to Emerald Lake and back with lunch along the way.

Thursday, Cruising the Hubbard Glacier on board the Millennium.

Friday, Seward disembarkation and a rental car to get to Anchorage and the airport for a 2:10 departure back home to San Francisco.

Now all I have to do is pack ; -)

Wednesday, July 18th:

-Arrive Anchorage 8pm, Pick up Rental Car

-Check into hotel -Springhill Suites University Park (I realize it's kind of far from the action, but we used a Friends and family Marriott rate to get a deal)

Thursday, July 19th: Anchorage to Seward

-Wake up at our leisure (recover from travel day)

-Drive to Seward, visiting Turnagain Arm, stopping at Potter Marsh, Beluga Point, Bird Point etc. along the way for photo ops.

-Arrive Seward and visit Sealife Center. (B1G1 Northern Lights coupon) OR Exit Glacier depending on arrival time

-Overnight at Exit Glacier Lodge

Friday, July 20th: Seward

-Fjord Tour: Major Marine 7.5 hour tour (Used Northern Lights B1G1 Coupon) Includes Lunch, (10am to 5:30pm)

-Visit Exit Glacier or SeaLife Center depending on which we did yesterday

-Overnight at Exit Glacier Lodge

Saturday, July 21st:

Leave Seward by 9am: Seward to Girdwood (2 hrs)

Heli-Dogsledding out of Girdwood: Alpine Air/Seaveys Dog Sled

Noon tour (be there by 11:30)

Drive to Talkeetna (Girdwood to Talkeetna- 3 hrs)

Overnight at Talkeetna Chalet

Sunday, July 22nd: Talkeetna to Healy/Denali

-Flightseeing with Glacier Landing (either Talkeetna or Healy, not planning on prebooking to allow flexibility)

-Arrive Healy

-Visit Denali Visitors Center if time allows

-Overnight: Earthsong Lodge

-Dinner 229 Parks (pre-anniversary dinner, as I believe they are closed on Monday, which is our actual anniverary) If anyone knows differently, please let me know! :)

Monday, July 23rd: Denali National Park, all day

-Shuttle Bus to Eielson, all the way to Wonder Lake if mountain is out. Tickets to Wonder Lake already purchased.

-Overnight Earthsong Lodge

Tuesday, July 24th: Healy to Anchorage

-Stop in Talkeetna for another try at flight seeing if needed,

-Drive to Anchorage- Thunderbird falls hike, Tony Knowles Coastal Trail

-Explore Anchorage

-Springhill Suites overnight

-Possibly return rental car tonight if more convenient.

Wednesday, July 25th: Anchorage to Whittier,

-Return Rental Car (if not already done)

-Alaska Railroad leaving 9:45, arriving 12:05 (free luggage to ship transfer)

-PWS Glacier Cruise (Major Marine Blackstone Cruise: B1G1 through Northern Lights)

-Embark Island Princess ~6pm Leave Port 8:30pm

Thursday, July 26th: Hubbard Glacier

-Scenic Cruising

Friday, July 27th: Glacier Bay

-Scenic Cruising

Saturday, July 28th: Skagway

-Arrive in port 7:00am

-Green Jeep Tour Rental for day, Travel Yukon Highway to Emerald Lake using Murray's Guide and provided tour guidance. Stop in Carcross for lunch.

-Leave port 8pm

Sunday, July 29th: Juneau

-Arrive in port 6:30am

-Evergreen Taxi to Mendenhall Glacier at 8:30am,

-Hike Mendenhall, Taking trail to Nugget Falls

-Whale Watch with Harv and Marv, pickup at 10:45am at Mendenhall Visitors Center.

-Return to port by 2:30pm. Hit up Tracy’s Crab Shack?

-Leave port 4pm

Monday, July 30th: Ketchikan

-Arrive 10am

-Anan Creek Bear Viewing through Family Air Tours with Misty Fjords Flightseeing Add On Depart 11am, Return 4pm

-Leave port 6pm

Tuesday, July 31st: At Sea

Wednesday, August 1st: Vancouver

Arrive Vancouver 7:30am - disembark

-Check in Metropolitan Hotel

-Stanley Park (bike rental)/GasTown

Thursday, August 2nd: Tour Vancouver/Whistler,

Friday, August 3rd: Tour Vancouver

-Quick Coach from Vancouver to SeaTac, Pick up at Metropolitan ~4pm

-Depart Seattle 11:00pm

Saturday, August 4th: Home to plan the next adventure!

• 7 months later...

Thank you for all the great tips CC! We are a family of four who will also be traveling with my Mum and her best friend. We live across the world from the US and it is a major feat just to get to Seattle. That said, who knows the next time we will get to Alaska, so we did want at least one splurge. Lots of whale watching and zip lines where we live - so that leaves the following:

July 12 Leaving Seattle

July 13 At Sea

July 14 Ketchikan. In port 7 am to 4pm. Orca Bay Sea Kayaking - our big splurge for a group of 6. Because they only take 6 at a time, however, it will be like a private tour. Fun!

July 15 Juneau. Port from 1:30pm to 10pm. Glacier Express Bus to Mendenhall Glacier - hiking. Walk about town for a bit on return.

July 16 Skagway. Downloaded Murry Guide for travel to Emerald Lake with stops along the way; renting a minivan which comfortably seats 6.

July 17 Cruising Inside Passage

July 18 Victoria, British Columbia. Ghost Walk Tour.

Getting excited!!

Day 1 | Sitka11dayabc.jpg

Explore Sitka’s popular attractions: Sheldon Jackson Museum, Russian Bishop’s house, St. Michael’s Cathedral and enjoy the Sheet’ka Kwaan Naa Kahidi Dancers. Board a deluxe tour boat for a “Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest” excursion into beautiful Sitka Sound, home to abundant wildlife.

Day 2 | Juneau & Orca Point Lodge

Highlights of the scenic state capital include the massive Mendenhall Glacier and a soaring ride on the Mount Roberts Tram. We’ll depart Juneau for Colt Island and go ashore for an Alaska salmon and king crab dinner at Orca Point Lodge.

Day 3 | Skagway & Haines

Today we visit this rollicking Klondike gold rush city and board the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad (passport required) for a historic journey retracing the steps of the gold-seekers. Next stop: scenic Haines and a walking tour of pre-WWI Ft. Seward.

Day 4 | Captain’s Choice* Pt. Adolphus & Icy Strait

Explore the region of Point Adolphus and northeastern Chichagof Islands, areas well known for whale, bear and sea otter sightings.

Day 5 | Glacier Bay National Park

A Glacier Bay National Park Service Ranger leads our programming and a Native Huna Tlingit interpretive naturalist joins us to reveal traditional ties to this ancient treasure, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Day 6 | Tracy Arm Fjord

We’ll explore the length of this glacier-carved, jade-green fjord; tracing the sheer granite face of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the sea, punctuated by a multitude of waterfalls.

Day 7 | Hobart Bay

Enjoy exclusive Hobart Bay, our own wilderness adventure base camp, outfitted with sea kayaks, small outboard driven Zego runabouts, and all-terrain vehicles.

Day 8 | Petersburg

Petersburg is a charming fishing town established by Norwegian fishermen in the late 1800s. At the Sons of Norway Hall, enjoy a Norwegian Folk Dance show performed by Petersburg’s children.

Day 9 | Kake

In this traditional Tlingit Indian village, see the “World’s Largest Totem”, carving demonstration, a salmon hatchery and a bear viewing platform.

Day 10 | Captain’s Choice* Red Bluff Bay

Featuring the region of Red Bluff Bay and rugged waterfall coast of eastern Baranof Island.

Day 11 | Disembark in Sitka

**We would like to go fishing this day, if anyone would like to join us, we need another couple for a charter. We'll stay at a place in town, Have not picked one yet.

Cruising on a NB cruise with Island Princess on May 27, then doing our own land tour.

May 26 - Leave New Brunswick and fly across Canada to Vancouver, staying in downtown at Best Western. Explore downtown on our afternoon there. Haven't nailed any itinerary down for Vancouver yet.

May 27 - board our cruise ship and away we go!

May 28 - day at sea

May 29 - Ketchikan (6:30am - 2:00pm) - doing our own thing, walking around the city, probably do a couple of walking trails and visit the totem park(s).

May 30 - Juneau (8:00am - 9:00pm) - Alaska Canopy Adventure zipline at 11:00am. After, perhaps take the Mt. Robert's Tramway but will see if we have enough time because we really want to see Mendehall Glacer and walk the Nugget Falls trail.

May 31 - Skagway (7:00am - 8:30pm) - Fraser Meadows Steam train excursion with the White Pass and Yukon rail. Uncertain what else we will do, probably some more walking around/hiking.

June 1 - Glacier Bay National Park

June 2 - College Fjord

June 3 - Arrival in Whittier - transfer to Anchorage, pick up a rental car and drive to Denali, with visiting stops along the way. Check in at the Mckinley Creekside Cabins, then perhaps drive to DNP and walk some trails around the park entrance.

June 4 - Denali National Park - Eielson Visitor Center tour

June 5 - Check out and drive back to Anchorage, with stops along the way we may have missed on the way up. Overnight somewhere (not confirmed yet)

June 6 - Anchorage - explore the city and surrounding areas for the day, drop off the rental car and go to the airport.

June 7 - Anchorage airport, take flight at 12:30am (or thereabouts) and arrive back in New Brunswick at 11:00pm that night.

Might add some things here and there, but our main excursions we absolutely wanted to do are booked so everything else will just be the icing on the cake at this point. ;)

Hope this is of use. We are cruising up to Whittier with Princess, doing a 6 day land tour on our own and then cruising back from Seward with Celebrity.

• Vancouver: booked an apartment for a few days using HomeAway prior to the cruise.
  • Ketchikan: found a really unusual activity – Sea Cycles. Check out their website – Alaska Sea Cycle Tours. Should be a lot of fun.
  • Juneau: 3 hr Whale Watch with Harv & Marv. Will get them to drop us at Mendehall Glacier and we will catch the Blue Glacier Express back to the docks (costs about $8)
  • Skagway: Will do a 6 hr road trip, probably with Frontier Excusions. Would like to do their 4x4 but they are for private parties of 4-6, so we may just have to settle for their Yukon Discovery tour.
  • Booked Park Conx. Bus from Whittier to Talkeetna to Denali and then the Alaska Railroad from Denali to Anchorage through Alaska Tour and Travel. You can get some good deals on the train journeys with the Northern Light Entertainment coupons, but we wanted to use the Dome level and this isn’t on offer. (If using the coupons I think you would have to book the train direct).
  • Talkeetna: Upon arrival taking a Jet Boat Tour with Mahays using N.L. coupon – 2 for 1.
  • Staying a A B&B on C (good reviews and Peg the owner has been really helpful)
  • Next morning doing a flight with K2.
  • Catching the bus that evening and get into Denali about 9 pm. Staying at the Grande Denali Lodge (2 for 1 with NL coupon)
  • Next day going to Wonder Lake using the Shuttle bus.
  • Catch the train the following day to Anchorage. Staying at City Garden B&B.
  • Pick up Hertz hire car the next morning and drive to Alyeska to go on the Aerial Tram (using NL 2 for 1 coupon).
  • Upon arrival in Seward go to Exit Glacier whilst we still have the car. Staying at Sunshine House B&B for 2 nights.
  • Take car back next morning. Take the Kenai Fjords National Park tour getting discount with NL coupon. Will also try and fit in an hour or so at the Seal Life Centre using 2 for 1 coupon.
  • Following day do Major Marine Tour. Cruise ship leaves that evening.
  • Juneau: Would have liked to have done the boat trip to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier, but cruise ship timing makes it impossible. So will probably do Mendenhall Glacier again and Mount Roberts Tramway and the Trolley City Tour. Would have liked to have got out to Shrine of St Therese but not found how yet although I have seen M&M tours mentioned.
  • Skagway: We are in Skagway on one of the days they do the White Pass & Yukon Rout Fraser Meadows Steam excursion.
  • Icy Strait Point/Hoonah: Whale Watch tour with Hoonah Travel Adventures. If possible may also try and do a bear tour with Teckk as that has a 2 for 1 offer.
  • Back in Vancouver – touring Vancouver Island for a few days and then a few more days in an apartment in Coal Harbour booked via Airbnb.

Able to do more tours than first envisaged as booking ourselves and not through the cruise ship. Also the Northern Lights coupons have helped. As you can tell - this is the 'BIG' once in a life-time holiday.

kind regards

• 1 month later...