Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

Day 1 - arrive in Vancouver from New Zealand. Will probably walk around the city for the day and just look around

Day 2 - Set sail from Vancouver. Will be going to get some camera equipment to rent beforehand. Looking at Leos Cameras at the moment

Day 3 - Sailing

Day 4 - Ketchikan - I wanted to get on the Coastal Wildlife Cruise but missed out so I am waitlisted there. If I miss out on those 2 sailings I will just walk around town I think.

Day 5 - Juneau - Will probably go up the Mt Roberts tram in the morning. Photo Safari in the afternoon/evening

Day 6 - Skagway - renting a car to do the South Klondike Highway (using Murray's Guide)

Day 7 - Glacier Bay

Day 8 - College Fjord

Day 9 - Arrive in Whittier and I have no ideas......

• Friday July 4th
    • Leave Newark at 1:55 PM and arrive Anchorage at 8:14 PM
    • Pick up Avis rental car at Airport in Anchorage
    • Check in to Holiday Inn Express Anchorage near airport

[*]Saturday July 5th

• Travel by car to Seward Alaska
    • Take Renown 6 hour Kenai FjordsNational Park Wildlife and Scenery Tour
    • Check in to Holiday Inn Express Seward on the Small Boat Harbor

[*]Sunday July 6th

• In the morning visit The Alaska SeaLife Center by 9:30 AM. Take “Behind the Scenes Tour” at 10:30 AM and continue visit after tour.
    • Seavey’s for a 1:45 PM Sled Dog Tour
    • Visit Exit Glacier

[*]Monday July 7th

• Leave Seward in the morning heading towards Girdwood
    • Visit the Portage Glacier and the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center.
    • Visit The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
    • Check in to The Hotel Alyeska at the Alyeska Resort
    • Dinner at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant

[*]Tuesday July 8th

• After check out, Breakfast at The Bake Shop in Girdwood
    • Travel 113 miles north to Talkeetna
    • Lunch at The Roadhouse in Talkeetna
    • Take Talkeetna Air Taxi 2 hour Grand Denali Flightseeing Tour with Glacier Landing at 2:00 PM
    • Travel 153 miles north to The McKinley Chalet Resort

[*]Wednesday July 9th

• Take 6:15 AM 12 hour DenaliWonderLake Shuttle

• Thursday July 10th
    • Denali Outdoor Center for a 2 hour Nenana River Canyon Run White Water Rafting Adventure
    • After lunch we will drive back to Talkeetna and check in to the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

[*]Friday July 11th

• Drive leisurely back to Anchorage
    • Visit The Alaska Native Heritage Center
    • Check in to The Hotel Captain Cook in downtown Anchorage
    • Return the rental car to Avis in their downtown office
    • Dinner at Simon and Seaforts

[*]Saturday July 12th

• We will be picked up between 8:00 and 8:15 AM by Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises
    • We will be provided with a guided tour along the Seward Highway as we travel to Whittier
    • At 11:00 AM we will take a 6 hour Wilderness Explorer Glacier Cruise of Prince Williams Sound
    • At 5:00 PM we will board the Diamond Princess

[*]Sunday July 13th

• Scenic cruising into College Fjords and the Gulf of Alaska

[*]Monday July 14th

• Scenic cruising into Glacier Bay National Park

[*]Tuesday July 15th

• Dock in Skagway at 7:00 AM
    • Picked up on the dock at 7:30 AM for a Chilkoot Charters 7 hour Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion
    • Explore Skagway on our own prior to ships departure at 8:30 PM

• Wednesday July 16th
    • Dock in Juneau at 6:30 AM
    • Picked up on the dock at 8:30 AM by Harv and Marv for a 3.75 hour Whale Watching Tour
    • Transported by Harv and Marv to Coastal Helicopter for a 1 hour Juneau Icefield Glacier Excursion
    • Transported by Coastal back to the docks. Time and weather permitting, take the Mount Roberts Tramway prior to ship departing at 4:00 PM

[*]Thursday July 17th

• Dock in Ketchikan at 10:00 AM
    • Explore Ketchikan and have lunch,
    • Picked up at the Rain Gauge at 12:15 PM by Island Wings for a 2 hour Misty Fjords Flightseeing Tour
    • Transported back to the Rain Gauge by Island Wings where at 2:45 PM we will be met by Lois Munch of Classic Tours for a 2 hour Totem Tour in a restored 1955 Chevy sedan
    • Time permitting we can spend a little more time wandering around Ketchikan prior to the ship departing at 6:00 PM

[*]Friday July 18th

• Scenic cruising the Inside Passage the entire day.

[*]Saturday July 19th

• The ship docks in Vancouver at 7:30 AM
    • Leave Vancouver at 1:05 PM and arrive Newark at 9:26 PM

Only we are coming in from LAX on Monday July 6 and taking the Island Princess SB arriving Vancouver on the 20th.

My DH & DS and I will be on Millennium 6/19/09. She should be almost brand spankin' new after a drydock for softgoods replacement, revamping the buffet area to match Solstice's islands system (new flatscreen TV's etc) Southbound from Seward

Jun 18: Fly to Anchorage from Milw. (US) & Madison (DS)WI.

Overnight at the Comfort Suites Airport provides shuttle service Airport & Train St.

Jun19: Classic Train from Anchorage to Seward (6:45-11:05am) Sail away at 9pm

Jun20: Sailing to Hubbard Glacier (cruising there 2-6pm)

Jun.21: Juneau Arr. 8am...catch the Capt. Cook at 9am for an all day cruise to Tracy Arm, Sail 9pm for...

Jun.22: Skagway. Arr, 7am Collect rental car from Sourdough rentals for drive up the White pass and on to Carcross.

Jun.23 Icy Strait Point. 7am-4pm Undecided...probably the Forest tram and Tlingit cultural show

Jun.24.. (Our 48th Wed. Ann.)U]Ketchikan[/u]9am-6pm: Morning, tour around town, especially Creek St (we missed it previous sailing) 1PM. Bering Crab Boat tour

Jun25: Inside passage cruising...watching for WHALES! (especially Orcas, seen Humpbacks)

Jun26: Disembark am...fly home 205pm

For us ~ 67,70,& 78, (some slightly disabled) this is an ambitious trip. DS at 78 is really raring to go, will be her 2nd cruise, and only time to Alaska so wished it to be a good one.

Edited by Napi's Mom

Day 1 - arrive in Vancouver from New Zealand. Will probably walk around the city for the day and just look around

Day 2 - Set sail from Vancouver. Will be going to get some camera equipment to rent beforehand. Looking at Leos Cameras at the moment

Day 3 - Sailing

Day 4 - Ketchikan - I wanted to get on the Coastal Wildlife Cruise but missed out so I am waitlisted there. If I miss out on those 2 sailings I will just walk around town I think.

Day 5 - Juneau - Will probably go up the Mt Roberts tram in the morning. Photo Safari in the afternoon/evening

Day 6 - Skagway - renting a car to do the South Klondike Highway (using Murray's Guide)

Day 7 - Glacier Bay

Day 8 - College Fjord

Day 9 - Arrive in Whittier and I have no ideas......

We just spent January cruising around Your homeland and from Auckland to Dunedin Love every place we went (Wellington was Grey and kind of blah) especially Akaroa, Napier,Hawksbay area,(missed Rotarua because of being Quarantined on ship 2 days) but let me tell you..after Milford sound...didn't waste Our time heading for Misty Fjords! Spectacular

Edited by Napi's Mom

Family of 4 (Twin 15 year old boys, who have agreed to a no tech vacation!)

Day 1 6/4 Fly Cincinnati to Vancouver (25 min. layover in Salt Lake.....oy!)

Visit Vancouver ?Grouse Mtn.

Day 2 Board Radiance of the seas Jr. Suite aft! Set sail for inside passage 5pm

Day 3 Inside passage and rock wall competition. Yeah our teens boys have been practicing!

Day 4 Ketchikan 9am Duck Tour. We know they are cheesy but love Duck Tours!

Then a 1PM Lumberjack show. (C'mon we gotta do the boy stuff!) Back to the

ship for a CHOPS dinner.

Day 5 Juneau Taxi to Mendenhall and hike. Walking Tour of Juneau on our own

Day 6 Skagway YP RR (Laundry Day!)

Day 7 Icy Strait Point F.I.S.H.E.S. Whale watching & Portofinos for dinner!

Day 8 Hubbard Glacier Cruising Outdoor BBQ

Day 9 Seward Car rental & Kenai Princess Lodge, then off to Homer for the day.

Day 10 Kenai River Rafting and back to Princess

Day 11 Father's Day! Off to ANC for the Farmer's Market Residence Inn Midtown

Day 12 Drive to Denali Explore area on our own Stay Princess Denali

Day 13 6am Eilison Tour BRING MY PASSPORT For a Denali stamp!

Day 14 Drive back to ANC ~ Gold panning then turn in car (bad call my part!)

Downtown Marriott

Day 15 Bike or play in ANC ? a tour for Airport drop off?? Fly home 7pm for a red eye

Day 16 Hello Cincinnati.....sleep!

It does help to write it all out! If you are on Radiance for this week join our roll call!

Karen

We just spent January cruising around Your homeland and from Auckland to Dunedin Love every place we went (Wellington was Grey and kind of blah) especially Akaroa' date=' Napier,Hawksbay area,(missed Rotarua because of being Quarantined on ship 2 days) but let me tell you..after Milford sound...didn't waste Our time heading for Misty Fjords! Spectacular[/quote']

Great to hear you enjoyed yourself, although Wellington is my home town. On a good day Wellington is hard to beat, but it is very susceptible to weather. While I am not a great fan of Wellington as a tourist destination, I wouldn't live anywhere else in New Zealand.

Having travelled through most of New Zealand I find it a bit sad sometimes that many New Zealanders don't know what a great country we have.

Our Alaska cruisetour starts with a long and late flight from Cleveland to Chicago to Anchorage on July 21, 2009. Hotel = Marriott.

7/22 - bus to Denali - Mckinley Village lodge - maybe this time we will see it.

7/23 - Denali Natural history tour, then travel to Talkeetna - Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

7/24 - Bus to Anchorage - shop at Oomingmak co-op (well maybe just look and touch the Quiviat). Lunch at Salmon chowder house. Bus to Seward. Meet up with our friends. If time permits, the Seward Sealife Center. Sail away.

7/25 - cruise by Hubbard Glacier

7/26 - Juneau: Shuttle to Mendenhall, Mt. Roberts tram, eat King crab at Tracy's, just walk around.

7/27 - Skagway: Bus up then return by White Pass Railway with Chilcoot Tours, walk around town.

7/28 - Icy Straight - see dancers, tour museum, and watch whales from the shore.

7/29 - Ketchikan - Duck tour, then Deadliest Catch tour. Hopefully find the chocolate chip cookies that used to be on the dock.

7/30 - cruise inside passage - I love this!

7/31 - Vancouver - City tour with airport drop off. Late night flight, arrive at Cleveland the next morning tired but happy!

Mprezd - We will be cruiseing New Zealand in October. Any recommendations for Wellington?

Our Alaska cruisetour starts with a long and late flight from Cleveland to Chicago to Anchorage on July 21, 2009. Hotel = Marriott.

7/22 - bus to Denali - Mckinley Village lodge - maybe this time we will see it.

7/23 - Denali Natural history tour, then travel to Talkeetna - Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

7/24 - Bus to Anchorage - shop at Oomingmak co-op (well maybe just look and touch the Quiviat). Lunch at Salmon chowder house. Bus to Seward. Meet up with our friends. If time permits, the Seward Sealife Center. Sail away.

7/25 - cruise by Hubbard Glacier

7/26 - Juneau: Shuttle to Mendenhall, Mt. Roberts tram, eat King crab at Tracy's, just walk around.

7/27 - Skagway: Bus up then return by White Pass Railway with Chilcoot Tours, walk around town.

7/28 - Icy Straight - see dancers, tour museum, and watch whales from the shore.

7/29 - Ketchikan - Duck tour, then Deadliest Catch tour. Hopefully find the chocolate chip cookies that used to be on the dock.

7/30 - cruise inside passage - I love this!

7/31 - Vancouver - City tour with airport drop off. Late night flight, arrive at Cleveland the next morning tired but happy!

Mprezd - We will be cruiseing New Zealand in October. Any recommendations for Wellington?

Hi Alison, how long are you here for (i.e. days and arrival/departure time)

And would you want to get a car or not?

In one month we start our trip and I just can't wait! My husband who is retired and myself...still working are going..

Day 1-Hop on our plane with a transfer in Detroit to Vancover. Spend the rest of the day touring and finding a nice place for dinner. Staying at the Hampton Inn.

Day 2- Board the Radiance and enjoy the time relaxing and enjoying this beautiful ship.

Day 3-Watch the views, participate in some ship activities and relax!

Day 4-Ketchikan-Up and out very early. DH and I are going out with True Alaskan Charters for a day of Halibut and Salmon fishing...I am looking forward to this..but I really don't fish. Dinner in Portofino,

Day 5-Juneau..No rush for an early exit...We will poke around town and then enjoy a whale watching trip with Harv and Marv

Day 6-Skagway-Taking a tour with Chilkoot-train up and mini bus back. The 7.5 hour trip. Dinner at Chops. My Birthday..what a place to celebrate!

Day 7-Icy Straight-Poke around down and out with F.I.S.H.E.S.

Day 8-Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Day 9-Bye Radiance! Continuing on the RCI land tour. Overnight in Seward and a visit to the Alaska Sealife Center before embarking on the Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise with lunch at Fox Island.

Day 10-On the way to Anchorage with a visit to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Day 11-On our way to Denali-we will be doing the Homestead Husky tour.

Day 12-Tundra Wilderness Tour

Day 13-Talkeetna and we will be doing the Wilderness Jetboat tour in the evening.

Day 14-Spend some more time in Talkeetna and then the train back to Anchorage. Probably dinner on the train,

Day 15-My DH will be flying out to a remote location for a day of trout and salmon fishing. Not sure what I will do yet..

Day 16-We have the entire day free....we will have a nice dinner and then do a redeye out at 9:40PM...be home following morning.

I am so excited!!

Edited by Shar Pei

what a wonderful thread, so many great ideas to help w/planning

Appears that you will be on HAL 13 day Alaska Cruisetour 16 SB, well I will be on that, your trip appears to be more extensive than mine. Will post my itinerary later. Agree with you that this is a nice thread.

Great to hear you enjoyed yourself, although Wellington is my home town. On a good day Wellington is hard to beat, but it is very susceptible to weather. While I am not a great fan of Wellington as a tourist destination, I wouldn't live anywhere else in New Zealand.

Having travelled through most of New Zealand I find it a bit sad sometimes that many New Zealanders don't know what a great country we have.

It was exotically beautiful actually...very different from our green farmland in the Midwest of the US.~ Napier's Art Deco, and Wine country,~ We did really love the Te Papa museum,in Wellington. Maori carving was marvelous . It really was a grey day, and windy, and as I have difficulty walking and use a cane...it wasn't a city I'd like to do much hiking in with all hills! Did the Black Cat boatride in Akaroa from Christchurch, Dunedin was very interesting, many things to see...& Out to the Otago Penn. Even here in the US the people don't travel to our own attractions, spend vacation after vacation at some Carib. Spa, or cruise, or Disneyland...and never seen Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. They don't know what they're missing...:rolleyes:

June 21: Try to sleep in as late as possible! :p Leave Dayton late afternoon, fly day-cvg-sea-fai, whew!

June 22: 12:40am arrive Fairbanks, sleep a little at Princess lodge, then p/u rental car and go to North pole and ice museum. Sightsee as time permits. Drop off car and fly to Barrow 6pm. Check in to King Eider Inn.

June 23: sightsee around Barrow, go to northern most point. Return to Fairbanks 8pm flight. Meet the rest of our group.

June 24: Eldorado gold mine and sternwheeler with cruise tour. Salmon bake at Pioneer park.

June 25: train to Denali Princess, check into denali princess lodge, then 5 of us are off whitewater rafting. Other 3 will probably do the calmer scenic float. rest of evening open.

June 26: TWT, afternoon open, probably some laundry. Some of group want to do the covered wagon tour.

June 27: Coach to Copper river lodge, dinner at Copper center roadhouse. evening open. possbily take some of the trails around the lodge.

June 28: all day at copper river lodge. Ride the rhinos tour.

June 29: coach to valdez, PWS cruise to whittier dock. Board the Island Princess, check out the ship or maybe get off and hike around whittier.

June 30: College fjord, sea day.

July 1st: Glacier Bay, ultimate balcony breakfast. sea day.

July 2nd: Skagway: nothing finalized here- maybe glacier point wilderness safari and heli-glacier landing in the afternoon. Explore Skagway. Some in the group are doing the rail tour.

July 3rd: Juneau: 9am whale watching with Orca with drop off at Mendenhall.

July 4th: Ketchikan: Fishing with Northern lights. Hopefully catching lots of fish to send back to Joe!

July 5th: Day at sea. Relax, laundry, massage, or watching scenery go by???? or all the above.

July 6th: port at Vancouver, shuttle to seattle, check in Sheraton downtown. go to space needle, find someplace good to eat.

July 7th: seattle: Boeing tour, seattle food tour?? hopefully we can do both.

July 8th: fly back to dayton, vacation's over :(.

45 days to go!:D

June 21: Try to sleep in as late as possible! :p Leave Dayton late afternoon, fly day-cvg-sea-fai, whew!

June 22: 12:40am arrive Fairbanks, sleep a little at Princess lodge, then p/u rental car and go to North pole and ice museum. Sightsee as time permits. Drop off car and fly to Barrow 6pm. Check in to King Eider Inn.

June 23: sightsee around Barrow, go to northern most point. Return to Fairbanks 8pm flight. Meet the rest of our group.

June 24: Eldorado gold mine and sternwheeler with cruise tour. Salmon bake at Pioneer park.

June 25: train to Denali Princess, check into denali princess lodge, then 5 of us are off whitewater rafting. Other 3 will probably do the calmer scenic float. rest of evening open.

June 26: TWT, afternoon open, probably some laundry. Some of group want to do the covered wagon tour.

June 27: Coach to Copper river lodge, dinner at Copper center roadhouse. evening open. possbily take some of the trails around the lodge.

June 28: all day at copper river lodge. Ride the rhinos tour.

June 29: coach to valdez, PWS cruise to whittier dock. Board the Island Princess, check out the ship or maybe get off and hike around whittier.

June 30: College fjord, sea day.

July 1st: Glacier Bay, ultimate balcony breakfast. sea day.

July 2nd: Skagway: nothing finalized here- maybe glacier point wilderness safari and heli-glacier landing in the afternoon. Explore Skagway. Some in the group are doing the rail tour.

July 3rd: Juneau: 9am whale watching with Orca with drop off at Mendenhall.

July 4th: Ketchikan: Fishing with Northern lights. Hopefully catching lots of fish to send back to Joe!

July 5th: Day at sea. Relax, laundry, massage, or watching scenery go by???? or all the above.

July 6th: port at Vancouver, shuttle to seattle, check in Sheraton downtown. go to space needle, find someplace good to eat.

July 7th: seattle: Boeing tour, seattle food tour?? hopefully we can do both.

July 8th: fly back to dayton, vacation's over :(.

45 days to go!:D

Gosh Shari, we are neighbors. I live in Mason. I will be doing NB Radiance then a land tour. We'll be home June 19th am..I feel like I should get some info or something for you?lol.

Karen

Sat. June 13 Fly Boston – Minneapolis – Fairbanks, Hotel Westmark

Sun. June 14 Fairbanks, Hotel Westmark

Mon. June 15 Fairbanks, Hotel Westmark

Tue. June 16 Fairbanks, Hotel Westmark, tour starts at 11pm meet guide

Wed June 17 Fairbanks, sternwheeler III – gold dredge no 8

Thu June 18 Fairbanks – Denali by train

Fri June 19 Denali, Tundra wilderness tour 6-8 hours

Sat June 20 Denali – Anchorage, morning at leisure, Mckinley Explorer train to Anchorage see Hurricane Gulch

Sun June 21 Anchorage – Seward, cruise starts, morning motor coach Anchorage to Seward see Chugach & Kenai Mts, Resurrection Bay

Mon June 22 College Fjord cruising

Tue June 23 Glacier Bay cruising

Wed June 24 Haines – White Pass tour

Thu June 25 Juneau whale watching with Ocra

Fri June 26 Ketchikan – possible tour with Island Wings to Misty Fjords

Sat June 27 at sea

Sun June 28 Vancouver, docking, Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

Mon June 29 Vancouver, Fairmont

Tue June 30 Vancouver, Fairmont

Wed July 1 Vancouver, Fairmont

Thu July 2 Vancouver – Minneapolis – Boston

tours are subject to change

this is our 2nd time to Alaska so we're doing some things that were "second" on our list from the first trip...

day 1: fly to anchorage, travel to friend's house on Kenai peninsula

day 2: visiting with friends (not sure what we'll do - maybe watch Redoubt erupt... jk!)

day 3: park connection bus from Seward to Denali

day 4: Denali shuttle to Wonder Lake (or Eielson if mtn is not out)

day 5: morning: relax or wander around Denali more; afternoon: train to Anchorage

day 6: train to Seward; board ship

day 7: cruising Hubbard Glacier: read, rest, relax!

day 8: Sitka: DH: advanced bike ride tour, me: sea kayaking

day 9: Skagway: rock climbing & rapelling (I watch/video DH as I'm pregnant)

day 10: morning: Tracy Arm excursion, afternoon: maybe some other Juneau excursion, Mt Roberts tram if weather is clear (ship is in port until 11 PM)

day 11: Kethikan: Misty Fjords boat tour

day 12: at sea: read, rest, relax!

day 13: Vancouver, meet friend for lunch, fly home,reunite with the greatest dog in the world (3 y.o yellow lab - the worst part of traveling is being away from him!)

ohio beach girl: we did the boeing tour outside of Seattle last summer - it was really neat. The only negative is we had to wait awhile for our tour as we got to the site around 11 and the next available tour was at 1. I'd recommend going there as early as possble to avoid waiting (unless you're OK hanging in their open museum area or getting a snack at their cafe). It's a really neat tour. I think you can purchase tickets in advance but they charge a convenience fee - may be worth if if you want a specific time and don't want to get there early. We just showed up as we were "road tripping" and didn't know when we'd actually be getting there.

Here is opur planned itinarary, with the exception of the WP&YT Railroad we are pretty much doing our own thing for our stops in Alaska...

Sun 5/10/09 Vancouver, British Columbia

Depart 05:00 PM

Mon 5/11/09 At Sea

Tue 5/12/09 Ketchikan, Alaska

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

Arrive 07:00 AM Depart 03:00 PM

- Totem Heritage Center

Deermont St

- Ketchikan walking tour

Pick up a map at the visitor center

- Creek Street

The street once was the town's red light district.

- Dolly Arthur's House

Museum of ill repute

Keep an eye on the shower curtain

- Married Man's Trail

- Saxman Totem Park

2 1/2 miles south of Ketchikan

cultural center & carving shed

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/publicworks/bus/RedLine1.htm

- Seaport Cyber

#216 Salmon Landing (on the pier, upstairs)

Internet Access

- Check Hike Status for Juneau

http://www.juneau.org/parkrec/hike/schedule.php

Wed 5/13/09 Juneau, Alaska

http://www.traveljuneau.com/discover/maps/interactive/index.cfm

Arrive 08:00 AM Depart 10:30 PM

- Mt. Roberts Tram

http://www.goldbelttours.com/travel/day_trips/juneau/tram.html

$27.00 per person roundtrip

Interpretive Center

Hiking Trails

Wi-Fi available

- Juneau Hike Program - Wednesday Only

Destination and departure times announced on Tuesday

http://www.juneau.org/parkrec/hike/schedule.php

- Juneau Public Library

292 Marine Way

Free Internat Access

- Seaport Cyber

175 S. Franklin

Internet Access

- Juneau Shops

+ Glacier Smoothie

Between Tram & Red Dog Saloon on Franklin Street

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/index.html

Soap made from Glacier Silt

Coupon for free bar

+ Alaska Jade Shop

321 S. Franklin Street

Jade animals (the shop owner also owns the jade mine

+ Caribou Crossings

497 S. Franklin Street

Hand-made photo albums with beautiful paper or linen covers

+ Alaska Fur Gallery

359 S. Franklin

Wins the "tacky" award with its fur-covered jockstraps.

Thu 5/14/09 Skagway, Alaska

http://www.skagway.com/

Arrive 07:00 AM Depart 09:00 PM

- White Pass & Yukon Railroad

- Skagway Walking Tour

Printed Map

- National Park Visitors Center

45 minute ranger guided tour of town

- Red Onion Saloon

2nd & Broadway

- The Days of '98 show

http://thedaysof98show.eskagway.com/index.htm

Eagles Hall

Sixth and Broadway

10:30 am • 12:30 pm • 2:30 pm

8:00 pm includes casino play

- Miss Kitty's Buttonhole

1 French Alley

Funky hats, canes and 1898-style clothing

- Seaport Cyber

336 3rd Ave

Internet Access

Fri 5/15/09 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising CO

Arrive 07:00 AM Depart 04:00 PM

- Dinner in Pinnicle Grill

Sat 5/16/09 College Fjord Cruising CO

Arrive 05:00 PM Depart 08:00 PM

Sun 5/17/09 Seward (Anchorage) Alaska

Arrive 06:00 AM Depart 08:00 PM

- Alaska SeaLife Center

301 Railway Ave

8:00am - 6:30pm

$20.00 per person

- Exit Glacier

In Kenai Fjords National Park

Located just outside the town of Seward

- Lunch with old friends in Anchorage

- Alaska Native Heritage Center

www.alaskanative.net

8800 Heritage Center Dr

Elmendorf Afb, AK

9 a.m. - 5 p.m

$24.95 per person

Mon 5/18/09 College Fjord Cruising CO

Arrive 06:00 AM Depart 09:00 AM

Tue 5/19/09 Glacier Bay Scenic Cruising CO

Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 07:00 PM

- Renew Wedding Vows in afternoon (Hopefully)

Wed 5/20/09 Haines, Alaska

http://haines.ak.us/

Arrive 06:30 AM Depart 09:00 PM

- Fort William H. Seward

Designated a National Historic Site by the US government in 1972

- Alaska Indian Arts Cultural Center (Former Fort Hospital)

Small gallery and carver's workshop

Totem carving in progress

- Haines walking-tour information

Visitor center

122 Second Ave

- Hammer Museum

108 Main St

10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

- Haines Borough Public Library

113 Third Ave

Internet Access

- The Wolf Den

1053 Haines Highway

Internet Access

Thu 5/21/09 Juneau, Alaska (http://www.traveljuneau.com)

Arrive 08:00 AM Depart 06:00 PM

- Alaska State Museum

395 Whittier Street

8:30 AM to 5:30 AM - $5 per person

- Juneau Walking Tour

Get map at visitors center or Juneau Museum

- St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church

326 5th St

9:00 AM to 5:00 PM - $2 Donation

- Juneau Jazz & Classics (http://www.jazzandclassics.org/events.php?eventid=12)

Anat Cohen - Jazz Saxphone, Clarinet

12:00 PM - Free - State Office Building - 709 W. Ninth

- Mendenhall Glacier - MGT's "Blue Glacier Express"

$14 per person roundtrip - No time requirement

- Juneau Public Library

292 Marine Way

Free Internat Access

- Seaport Cyber

175 S. Franklin

Internet Access

Fri 5/22/09 Ketchikan, Alaska

Arrive 02:00 PM Depart 08:00 PM

- Totem Bight State Park

8 miles northwest of the ferry terminal

Blue Bus (http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/publicworks/bus/BlueLine1_000.htm)

Allow 3 hours per BudgetQueen

Also stops at Walmart

Catch at the Eagle totem

15 Tlingit and Haida totem poles

Replica of a Haida clan house

- Seaport Cyber

#216 Salmon Landing (on the pier, upstairs)

Internet Access

Sat 5/23/09 At Sea

Sun 5/24/09 Vancouver, British Columbia

Arrive 07:00 AM

Boingy300- We are neighbors. I live just up 75 a little ways. I graduated from UC College of Pharmacy in 2007. Boy am I glad that drive is over. I hope you have a good trip! We'll be right behind you.

Jina- Thanks for the info. I think we are going to reserve our tickets. We don't have much time in Seattle and I don't want to 'waste' any. My mom and aunt work for Honeywell- used to be Grimes Aerospace- and they build lights and light up panels for airplanes. So, they are interested to see the installation of their work into a plane.

I posted our itinerary sometime back, but it's changed a bit so here is the update. Since this is our 5th time cruising Alaska it may seem a bit "laid back", but we expect we will visit many more times.

June 18--Fly from Fresno CA to Vancouver BC and spend the night at the Delta Vancouver Airport Hotel ($60 +taxes through Priceline)

June 19--Embark on the Ryndam and sail from Vancouver

June 20--Inside Passage

June 21--Ketchikan--Visit Creek Street and some of the downtown galleries as well as the Discovery Center (free with inter-agency pass) and ride the Cape Fox Hill--Creek Street Funicular

June 22--Haines--Find the Eagles Nest in one of the city parks to see if it is still active (We were able to find it last summer and got some nice pictures.) Visit Klukwan and/or the Kroschel Films Wildlife Center

June 23--Juneau--Whale watching with Alaska Whale Watching, Visit Glacier Gardens and ride the Tram (all with Tour Saver coupons)

June 24--Steak--Visit Russians Bishops House and Steak National Historical Park (using inter-agency pass) and Raptor Center (TourSaver coupon)

June 25--Hubbard Glacier--add to the 100's of pictures I already have of this glacier!

June 26--Seward--Rent a car and do some sightseeing. Spend the next two nights at Soo's B&B

June 27--Drive to Anchorage and pick up our DD and SIL and take a leisurely drive back with numerous stops ending with the Exit Glacier

June 28--Visit the Alaska Sea life Center and board the Statendam

June 29--College Fjord--Our first time here

June 30--Glacier Bay--our first time here out of 5 times to Alaska

July 1--Haines--Rent a Car and Drive up the Haines Highway

July 2--Juneau--Rent a car and visit Amalga Harbor,m Shrine of St Therese, Mendenhall Glacier, Auk Bay, Auk Lake, and maybe the Alaska Brewery

July 3--Ketchikan--Rent a car and drive up and down the coast to visit Totem Bight, possibly Ward Lake and Saxman.

July 4--Inside Passage

July 5--Vancouver--Rent a car for the day and visit Stanley Park. Have SIL drop us at airport and DD and SIL will head to Amtrak to return to Seattle.

Unlike other who have been many times to Alaska, we see this as our one and only trip there. We have a long "Bucket List" (thanks to Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman for adding that phrase to the dictionery), and we have both limited time and resources. So hopefully we will fit in all we want to do and not leave too many "If onlys" behind.

So here is our list:

06/5 Fly Auckland, New Zealand to Vancouver nonstop, stay Westin Grand

06/6 Get over jetlag, visit Stanley Park, Gastown etc

06/7 Embark Statendam, sail 5:00 pm

06/8 At Sea

06/9 Ketchikan: Walking tour

06/10 Juneau: Orca Enterprises Whale Watching, Mt Roberts Tram, Mendenhall Glacier

06/11 Skagway: Chilkoot Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion

06/12 Glacier Bay Cruising

06/13 College Fjord Cruising

06/14 Disembark from Statendam at Seward: do Kenai Fjords Northwestern Cruise. Stay Best Western Hotel Edgewater

06/15 IdidaRide Sled Dog Real Alaska Tour incl. Exit Glacier, Sealife Centre, train to Anchorage, stay Sheraton

06/16 Alaska Native Heritage Center, Alaska Zoo

06/17 Train to Denali, stay McKinley Chalet Resort, visit Park visitor center, Alaska cabin Nite show

06/18 Park Shuttle bus Eielson

06/19 Ranger led hike am, Ranger sled dog demo, train to Fairbanks, accom. Golden North Motel

06/20 Riverboat Discovery, Gold Dredge No. 8 University of Alaska Museum of the North (evening)

06/21 Ice Museum, North Pole, 40 below, Ester Gold Camp or Pioneer Park pm

06/22 Fly Fairbanks - San Francisco, change planes at Anchorage and at Portland, OR. Stay Worldmark

06/23 5 days to relax in one of the world's lovliest cities

06/24

06/25

06/26

06/27

06/28 Fly San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand nonstop

06/29 Day lost crossing International date line

06/30 Arrive home in the cold light of a winter dawn

Derek & Elizabeth

I've seen at least a couple references to Gold Dredge #8 in Fairbanks, but when I checked their website yesterday, it said they were closed this year. Has anyone heard directly from them that they are open in 2009?

To Justgotta go,

Wow! We'll be right behind you, on the Island Princess leaving Vancouver on the 8th, but we'll catch up with you on the train to Denali. We're also

staying at McKinley Chalet, doing cabin nite dinner that evening and the

Eileson bus on the 18th. Guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other!

Save travels,

PT

• 2 weeks later...
Mprezd - We have 1 day: October 18 from 8:00am until 6:00pm. We are waiting on Princess to open up the excursions.

I would be inclined to do one of the winery tours that leave Wellington. While you could do the walk around Wellington and visit Te Papa I don't think there is a lot more to do in the city itself. The cable car and botanical gardens are not amazing in my opinion, but it depends what you are into.

The winery tours will take you over the Rimutaka hill (which is quite a winding road and a little treacherous in places - but safe enough in a bus) and into some nice towns in Featherston, Greytown and Carterton.

Maybe once the options are open you should post a link to the options you have and I can probably give you some more insight

Regards