Please post your planned or completed itinerary

judyf

It's an Indian restaurant on W. 11th St. Checked TripAdvisor just now and its #3 favorite in Vancouver. 18 months ago it was #1 and deservedly so. We took a bus from the Granville Market area. I think the #10, but not sure. My husband's the transportion guy. My job's picking the places we eat. This one was a winner. Although I love all kinds of spicy and different foods, had never had Indian, so wanted to give it a try. Now I don't want to go to any other Indian restaurant for fear I'll be disappointed.

Thanks so much for the recommendation! We may just have to give this one a try! :D

Pre-Cruise

Vancouver - Tour Stanley Park and Granville Island.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/stanley-park-vancouver

http://www.yelp.com/biz/granville-island-vancouver-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/granville-island-public-market-vancouver

Cruise

Day 1 - Inside Passage Cruising

Day 2 - Ketchikan - Southeast Kayak to Orca Bay. http://www.kayakketchikan.com

Shopping

Lunch/Snack at Alaskan Surf - http://www.yelp.com/biz/alaskan-surf-halibut-and-chips-ketchikan

or

Ketchikan Fish Market - http://www.yelp.com/biz/ketchikan-fish-markets-crab-cracker-seafood-bar-ketchikan

Day 3 - Icy Strait Point - FISHES Whale Watch - http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes.html

Day 4 - Juneau - Tracy Arm Fjord tour - Adventure Bound Alaska - http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

Shopping

Dinner/Snack at Tracy's King Crab Shack - http://www.yelp.com/biz/tracys-king-crab-shack-juneau

Day 5 - Skagway - Shopping. Self guided tour. Day of rest.

Day 6 - Hubbard Glacier - Cruising

Day 7 - Seward - Train to Anchorage. See relatives.

Day 8 - Fly home!

I think you'll get more responses if you post your itinerary as a separate thread. Many people tend to ignore threads that get really long. I don't know why I happened to look here. I thought it was just a place where people posted which vendors they were using in each port.

I would really appreciate a "critic" from the experts!

The "?" in our itinerary is where we could use your help! What else can/should we do?

Would appreciate help with timeline also! Thanks!

Note: We are 2 couples in our 50's and 60's. We are not good hiker because of mobility issues. Long rides and cramped seating are difficult with knee replacements! So we need to be able to get up and walk or stand for a few minutes. We do have our concerns about some of the things we have planned but hope we can do them!

Day 1: Vancouver: Arrive 1pm - ? Then what?

Ferry to Victoria. Not sure what time we will catch the ferry?

Not sure what to do or see in Victoria in the evening?

Stay at B&B

Day 2: Victoria: Butchart Gardens maybe Butterfly farm ?

Tour Victoria - Not sure what else there is to see! ?

Not sure where else to go! ?

Catch ferry back to Vancouver. Not sure what time?

The ferries leave every hr, so you have plenty of choices. I LOVE Butchart Gardens! It's very easy to spend 5-6 hrs there. It might be fun to go there the first day .. have dinner at a pub then drive to the gardens to see flowers during the day AND at night. Depends on where you're coming from and how tired you will be. Day 2, wander around the Empress Hotel, visit the Royal BC Museum and Maratime Museum, both excellent.

Be sure to allow time for the ferry wait. You park in a line, wait for the ferry to arrive and unload then re-load.

Be aware that Butchart Gardens isn't really in Victoria. Assuming you get your car at the airport you'll drive to Tsawwassen where you catch the ferry to Sidney (Swartz Bay). Then a 15 minute drive to Butchart Gardens. On the return trip when you land in Tsawwassen, it's about a 30 minute drive into Vancouver.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/tssw-current.html

Lodging in Vancouver is yet to be decided :eek: ? check out the Vancouver forum of trip advisor or the West Coast Departures forum on cc

Day 3: Vancouver: Stanley Park and the Aquarium.

Board Celebrity Millennium - what is the best time?

Day 4: At Sea

Day 5: Ketchikan - ? Pick up free maps at the Visitor Centers and do the town walk. It's a lovely town, and has an interesting history. Take local bus to Totem Bight Park.

Day 6: Icy Strait Point - Whale watch

Day 7: Juneau - Whale watch, Mendenhall

Day 8: Skagway - ? Visit the Goldrush Museum and Cemetary, rent a car and drive to the Yukon

Day 9: Hubbard

Day 10: Seward:

Leave ship :(

SeaLife Center, Kayaking (for the mobile people ;) )

Renting a cottage for the night.

Day 11: Seward during the day then train to Anchorage

? Not sure what to do in the morning before our 10 am Kenai Fjords tour?

Just stroll around the harbor and watch the otters, the fishing boats, look for bald eagles, hit the bakery. Take seasick meds early!

Train to Anchorage at 6pm, pick up rental car

B&B lodging

Day 12:Talkeetna

Drive to Talkeetna with stops along the way for snacks and food

for the next 6 days. Stop in Wasilla for this? YES. Walmart, Safeway just off the exit ramp in Wasilla. Before you get to Wasilla stop at Eklutna to visit the Spirit Houses.

Jetboat tour in Talkeetna

B&B lodging

Day 13: Talkeetna

McKinley Flight Tour at 10am

Denali Drama?

? Have no idea what else to do in this area B&B lodging Talkeetna

Day 14: Denali

Drive to Denali and do the Visitors Center ? Maybe drive into Denali as far as we can go? Is this a waste of time? Will we see anything? If you 're up to the driving, why not ? This is the only area I've seen moose. One year we saw a lynx.

Cabin Nite Dinner Theater?

Day 15: 6:30 shuttle bus to Wonderlake

Nice dinner someplace?

Day 16: Palmer

B&B

Matanuska Glacier Trek

Not sure what else to do here? It will take you a few hours to get here, then you have the trek in the afternoon so you won't have that much free time. Dinner and enjoy the views. http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

Day 17: Anchorage

Drive Turnagain Arm

Not sure what else to do? So many options! especially in good weather. Suggestions in this link: http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

B&B

Day 18: All day in Anchorage - fly home at midnight

What to do this day? Farmers market on weekend, museum, Native Culture Center, Earthquake Park.

Thanks for your input (suggestions, corrections, advice)!!

Day 16-early drive to Fairbanks, El Dorado Gold Mine, Riverboat Discovery

overnight Dale & Jo View Suites B & B

Day 17-early flight back home

Just FYI El Dorado Gold Mine will be combined as of this year with Gold Dredge 8. This doesn't change your plans :) just wanted to share the info. It actually sounds like a better deal! Here's what they wrote to me when I emailed them to make a reservation for El Dorado:

"We are going to be combining the El Dorado Gold Mine and the Gold Dredge 8 tours; the new tour is called Gold Dredge 8. The tour will be very similar to what you are already familiar with, you will still take the train ride and pan for gold, but in addition you will be able to view the pipeline and learn about Dredge history. The Gold Dredge 8 attraction will be a bit closer to town; the address is 1755 North Old Steese Highway."

Edited by alaskawdw12

Just FYI El Dorado Gold Mine will be combined as of this year with Gold Dredge 8. This doesn't change your plans :) just wanted to share the info. It actually sounds like a better deal! Here's what they wrote to me when I emailed them to make a reservation for El Dorado:

"We are going to be combining the El Dorado Gold Mine and the Gold Dredge 8 tours; the new tour is called Gold Dredge 8. The tour will be very similar to what you are already familiar with, you will still take the train ride and pan for gold, but in addition you will be able to view the pipeline and learn about Dredge history. The Gold Dredge 8 attraction will be a bit closer to town; the address is 1755 North Old Steese Highway."

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.:)

mapleleaves

Thanks so much for your input!

We really appreciate it!

You're welcome! Hope it helps. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

BTW, the ferry between Tsawwassen and Sidney is a beautiful trip, 1 1/2 hrs. We saw orcas one time! At one point you're passing thru the Gulf Islands, the passage is quite narrow, and then you meet the ferry coming in the other direction. Beautiful! We usually stay at a waterfront hotel in Sidney; it's a straight shot down the hwy to Victoria (30 minutes).

But if Victoria sounds like too much, there are some lovely gardens in Vancouver to enjoy; VanDusen, Queen Elizabeth, and UBC.

And one more thought .. on your last night in Alaska, consider a B&B in Girdwood instead of Anc. Lots to see and do in that area to keep you busy before heading to the airport, which is about an hr away.

Edited by mapleleaves

Thank you so much! The input from all you generous people is priceless!

We hadn't thought Girdwood would have enough to see and enjoy to make the trip! We will now have to figure out what to do there!

There are a few more "?" left in our itinerary still.

Anybody want to take a crack at those?? :D

Day 1: Vancouver: Arrive 1pm - ? Then what?

Ferry to Victoria. Not sure what time we will catch the ferry?

Not sure what to do or see in Victoria in the evening?

Stay at B&B

Day 2: Victoria: Butchart Gardens maybe Butterfly farm ?

Tour Victoria - Not sure what else there is to see! ?

Not sure where else to go! Anything scenic you would recommend?

Catch ferry back to Vancouver. Not sure what time?

The ferries leave every hr, so you have plenty of choices. I LOVE Butchart Gardens! It's very easy to spend 5-6 hrs there. It might be fun to go there the first day .. have dinner at a pub then drive to the gardens to see flowers during the day AND at night. Depends on where you're coming from and how tired you will be.

Day 2, wander around the Empress Hotel, visit the Royal BC Museum and Maratime Museum, both excellent.

Be sure to allow time for the ferry wait. You park in a line, wait for the ferry to arrive and unload then re-load.

Be aware that Butchart Gardens isn't really in Victoria. Assuming you get your car at the airport you'll drive to Tsawwassen where you catch the ferry to Sidney (Swartz Bay). Then a 15 minute drive to Butchart Gardens. On the return trip when you land in Tsawwassen, it's about a 30 minute drive into Vancouver.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/tssw-current.html

Lodging in Vancouver @ the Landis

Day 3: Vancouver: Stanley Park and the Aquarium.

Board Celebrity Millennium - what is the best time?

Day 4: At Sea

Day 5: Ketchikan - ? Pick up free maps at the Visitor Centers and do the town walk. It's a lovely town, and has an interesting history. Take local bus to Totem Bight Park.

Day 6: Icy Strait Point - Whale watch

Day 7: Juneau - Whale watch, Mendenhall

Day 8: Skagway - ? Visit the Goldrush Museum and Cemetary, rent a car and drive to the Yukon

Day 9: Hubbard

Day 10: Seward:

Leave ship

SeaLife Center, Kayaking (for the mobile people :D )

Renting a cottage for the night.

Day 11: Seward during the day then train to Anchorage

? Not sure what to do in the morning before our 10 am Kenai Fjords tour?

Just stroll around the harbor and watch the otters, the fishing boats, look for bald eagles, hit the bakery. Take seasick meds early!

Train to Anchorage at 6pm, pick up rental car

B&B lodging

Day 12:Talkeetna

Drive to Talkeetna with stops along the way for snacks and food

for the next 6 days. Stop in Wasilla for this? YES. Walmart, Safeway just off the exit ramp in Wasilla. Before you get to Wasilla stop at Eklutna to visit the Spirit Houses.

Jetboat tour in Talkeetna

B&B lodging

Day 13: Talkeetna

McKinley Flight Tour at 10am

Denali Drama?

? Have no idea what else to do in this area B&B lodging Talkeetna

Day 14: Denali

Drive to Denali and do the Visitors Center ? Maybe drive into Denali as far as we can go? Is this a waste of time? Will we see anything? If you 're up to the driving, why not ? This is the only area I've seen moose. One year we saw a lynx.

Cabin Nite Dinner Theater?

Day 15: 6:30 shuttle bus to Wonderlake

Nice dinner someplace?

Day 16: Palmer

B&B

Matanuska Glacier Trek

Not sure what else to do here? It will take you a few hours to get here, then you have the trek in the afternoon so you won't have that much free time. Dinner and enjoy the views.http://www.glacierview-alaska.com/

Day 17: Anchorage

Drive Turnagain Arm

Not sure what else to do? So many options! especially in good weather. Suggestions in this link: http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

B&B

Day 18: All day in Anchorage - fly home at midnight

What to do this day? Farmers market on weekend, museum, Native Culture Center, Earthquake Park.

I think you'll get more responses if you post your itinerary as a separate thread. Many people tend to ignore threads that get really long. I don't know why I happened to look here. I thought it was just a place where people posted which vendors they were using in each port.
Edited by whizkidcat

What month is your trip? There's lots to do in that first 50 miles south of Anchorage ... pan for gold, ride the tram at Alyeska, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, drive thru the tunnel to Whittier, hike, visit Begich Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Glacier and do the Ice Worm safari.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Alaska.org is a good site. Open "Top Day Tours" and "Destinations".

You might want to borrow a Frommers travel book on Alaska (or something similar) from your library.

I still suggest you open your own thread to get more feedback on your itinerary.

Edited by mapleleaves

• 3 months later...

Day 1 | Sitka, Peril Straits

Board a deluxe tour boat for a “Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest” exploration of beautiful Sitka Sound. Home to marine mammals, Sitka sound counts gray, humpack, and killer (orca) whales, sea otters, and Steller sea lions amongst the abundant wildlife.

Day 2 | Frederick Sound, Kake & Waterfall Coast

Cruise the east coast of Baranof Island where you’ll spot Humpback whales and other marine wildlife in Chatham Strait. A Tlingit elder and Tlingit dancers will come on board to greet guests and provide a brief history. Highlights include the “World’s Largest Totem”, observe an authentic carving demonstration, and visiting the Gunnuk Creek Dog Salmon Hatchery Tour & Bear Viewing Platform.

Day 3 | Petersburg

Petersburg is a fishing town established by Norwegian fishermen in the late 1800’s. At the Sons of Norway Hall, enjoy a Norwegian Folk Dance show performed by Petersburg’s children. You will have time on your own to take a short walk to Eagle Park, explore Sing Lee Alley, or shop downtown.

Day 4 | Hobart Bay

Enjoy exclusive access to Hobart Bay, our own adventure base camp, outfitted with sea kayaks, small outboard driven Zego runabouts, and all-terrain vehicles. Experience an overnight camping excursion at one of our tented areas of Hobart Bay.

Day 5 |Tracy Arm

Explore the full length of this ice-carved fjord; tracing the face of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea.

Day 6 | Juneau & Orca Point Lodge

Highlights of the scenic state capital include the Mendenhall Glacier and Mount Roberts Tram. We’ll depart Juneau to Colt Island and go ashore for an Alaskan salmon and king crab dinner.

Day 7 | Glacier Bay National Park

A Glacier Bay National Park Service Ranger leads our programming and a Native interpretive naturalist joins us to reveal traditional ties to this ancient treasure.

Day 8 | Disembark in Sitka

Spend time exploring Sitka’s popular attractions: totem poles at Sitka National Historical Park, Russian Bishops house and St. Michaels Cathedral. Transfer to the airport is included.

Edited by JulieBen

First ever visit to Alaska - taking place June 2012.

Day 1 - Fly Toronto-Seattle-Fairbanks

Day 2 - Fairbanks - Riverboat Discovery and Dinner at The Pump House

Day 3 - Fairbanks - looking at University of Alaska Museum of the North

Day 5 - Alaska Railroad (Fairbanks to Anchorage)

Days 6 & 7 - Anchorage - still deciding

Day 8 - Alaska Railroad to Seward and board cruise ship

Day 9 - cruise Hubbard Glacier

Day 10 - Juneau - Whale Whatching, Salmon Bake and Mendehall Glacier

Day 11 - Skagway - private tour with Chilkoot Charters - White Pass &

Yukon Railway to BC and bus to Yukon and back to

Skagway

Day 12 - Icy Strait Point - Spakksi Valley wildlife viewing

Day 13- Ketchikan - Saxman Totem Village

Day 14 - Day at Sea (and looking forward to it as I love these)

Day 15 - Vancouver, BC - staying in hotel and visiting a friend who lives

here

Day 16 - Fly Vancouver back to Toronto

Fri: Travel Day [Fly from PHL to Anc

pick up car, go back for DH coming in at 1am

Overnight at Moose Gardens B&B

Saturday: See Anchorage..still planning

Overnight Moose Gardens

Sunday: Turnagain Arm with stops at Potter's Marsh, McHugh Creek, Beluga Point, Windy Point, Bird Point, take the Girdwood turnoff, visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake, visit the small town of Hope Drive to Girdwood.

take tram up the mountain (if weather is good)

Walk part of Winner Creek Trail (trail head behind Aleyska tram – Alaska Candle Factory

Dinner: Varley's Swiftwater or Double Musky Restaurant

Overnight: Girdwood The Carriage House B & B

Monday: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Drive to Whittier (coordinate with tunnel opening time)

Prince William Sound - 4½ hrs Blackstone Glacier cruise - Major Marine

Dinner: Swiftwater Café in Whittier?

Overnight: Girdwood The Carriage House B & B

Tuesday: Drive towards Palmer?Wasilla

Crow Creek Mine, pan for gold maybe? Iditarod Sled Dog Race Headquarters

Drive to Palmer via Glenn Hwy (2.5 hrs from Girdwood), making stops at Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit Houses, and Musk Ox Farm (if time).

Visit Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine

Dinner: Turkey Red or Noisy Goose in Palmer

Overnight: Palmer - River Crest Manor B&B

Wednesday: Drive to Matanuska (1.5 hrs)

Matanuska Glacier Hike? See things we missed the day before

Return to Anchorage (2.5 hrs)

Return car

Alaska Native Heritage Center in Anchorage

Dinner: Glacier Brewhouse or Sourdough Mining Company

Overnight: Anchorage - Oscar Gill House

(do laundry)

Day 6: Seward: Alaska Railroad Anchorage-Seward

(Goldstar Dome Class)

Kenai Fjords Tours - 6 hr National Park Cruise

Dinner: Smoke Shack or Apollo’s

Overnight: Seward -Sunshine House B&B

Day 7: Seward Alaska Sea Life Center (Marine Mammal Encounter)

Check-in for cruise/board ship and have lunch

Exit Glacier – take cab or shuttle - walk 1hr trail to face of glacier

Return to ship for Dinner and Set Sail at 8pm

As I read this, it is almost the same as Englishlady! I might be bumping into you!

Are we on the same cruise? 8-24-12?

Fri 8/31 Fly to Seattle, spend the evening in Pioneer Square

Sat 9/1 Embarkation :)

Sun 9/2 Sea Day

Mon 9/3 Juneau 1pm to 10pm we're doing the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer so will have to disembark as soon as they allow us and immediately meet with tour on the pier. A jetboat will take us down in to Tracy Arm to see the twin Sawyer Glaciers. Hope to get up close and personal :) We'll be back around 8:15 pm.

Tues 9/4 Cruise Glacier Bay

Wed 9/5 Sitka 7am-3pm we plan to catch the shuttle out to the Sitka National Historical Park and hike around the totems, then on to the Alaska Raptor Center, then back to explore the town and maybe grab some lunch.

Thurs 9/6 Ketchikan 7am-1pm We're doing the Alaskan Wilderness Explorer and Crab Feed. Hopefully DH will get his fill of crab lol Not sure we'll have any time for anything else. If we do, we'll check out Cripple Creek St.

Friday 9/7 Victoria 6pm-11:55pm explore town on our own, grab dinner somewhere, maybe check out a pub or 2

Sat 9/8 back in Seattle for disembarkation. Then we plan to spend the rest of the day exploring Seattle, maybe dinner in the Space Needle

9/9 fly home :(

9/10 cry because our cruise is over, then comfort myself by writing my review and sharing on CC

and get back to planning our next cruise - a caribbean adventure with our kids :)

Edited by NoobCruise

As I read this, it is almost the same as Englishlady! I might be bumping into you!

Are we on the same cruise? 8-24-12?

Yes we are on the same cruise! We may be bumping into each other quite a bit! :) Our itinerary has changed very slightly, but not much. What have you scheduled for the ports of call?

Day 1 | Sitka, Peril Straits

Board a deluxe tour boat for a “Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest” exploration of beautiful Sitka Sound. Home to marine mammals, Sitka sound counts gray, humpack, and killer (orca) whales, sea otters, and Steller sea lions amongst the abundant wildlife.

Day 2 | Frederick Sound, Kake & Waterfall Coast

Cruise the east coast of Baranof Island where you’ll spot Humpback whales and other marine wildlife in Chatham Strait. A Tlingit elder and Tlingit dancers will come on board to greet guests and provide a brief history. Highlights include the “World’s Largest Totem”, observe an authentic carving demonstration, and visiting the Gunnuk Creek Dog Salmon Hatchery Tour & Bear Viewing Platform.

Day 3 | Petersburg

Petersburg is a fishing town established by Norwegian fishermen in the late 1800’s. At the Sons of Norway Hall, enjoy a Norwegian Folk Dance show performed by Petersburg’s children. You will have time on your own to take a short walk to Eagle Park, explore Sing Lee Alley, or shop downtown.

Day 4 | Hobart Bay

Enjoy exclusive access to Hobart Bay, our own adventure base camp, outfitted with sea kayaks, small outboard driven Zego runabouts, and all-terrain vehicles. Experience an overnight camping excursion at one of our tented areas of Hobart Bay.

Day 5 |Tracy Arm

Explore the full length of this ice-carved fjord; tracing the face of cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea.

Day 6 | Juneau & Orca Point Lodge

Highlights of the scenic state capital include the Mendenhall Glacier and Mount Roberts Tram. We’ll depart Juneau to Colt Island and go ashore for an Alaskan salmon and king crab dinner.

Day 7 | Glacier Bay National Park

A Glacier Bay National Park Service Ranger leads our programming and a Native interpretive naturalist joins us to reveal traditional ties to this ancient treasure.

Day 8 | Disembark in Sitka

Spend time exploring Sitka’s popular attractions: totem poles at Sitka National Historical Park, Russian Bishops house and St. Michaels Cathedral. Transfer to the airport is included.

We did a 7 day cruise on the Alaskan Dream when it was owned by another company and cruised under a different name. It is a great little boat. We loved it and so will you.

You get to go to all sorts of places that they big guys do not go to.

DON

Okay, so first a couple of things about us. We're in our 20s (I'm 27 and DH is 24...yes, a younger man... :) ) flying all the way from Israel for our honeymoon. I'm originaly from Detroit, MI, moved here when I was 6 years old. My DH is 100% Israeli. we're very active, LOVE animals and beautiful places and meeting new people.

Also, we both don't like flying and are both prone to motion sickness.

We have already booked everything (how much fun is planning this trip?? I can't believe I actually get to go on it!). The week long land trip is independant, and the excursions during the cruise are all through the cruise line, that way I have peace of mind booking 2 excursions everyday. It's worth it for me :)

Here's what we have planned for this July (I CAN'T WAIT!!!!:) ):

Day 1 - land in Fairbanks in the evening, after traveling 35 hours (!!). pick up car rental at airport.

Day 2 - Fairbanks - Dredge 8 tour. The Fudge Pot for lunch (DH has never had real fudge). Pioneer Park for the rest of the day - rent bikes, mini golf, salmon bake and Golden Hearts show.

Day 3 - Fairbanks - Creamer's Field for nature walk, then drive leisurly to Chena Hotsprings Resort for hotsprings and ice museum.

Day 4 - Fairbanks - walk in the woods with reindeer at Reindeer Ranch. grab a quick lunch, then get on Riverboat Discovery. Pump House restuarant for dinner. Return car to airport.

Make sure that you check out the old car museum in Fairbanks. As hard as it may be to believe, they have a world class collection of historic American automobiles there. We spent half a day there on our last trip.

DON

I could post our itinerary for last year where we spent 3 months driving to Alaska, driving around Alaska and driving back with multiple stops in BC. We drove a total of about 11,500 miles

This summer we are taking our granddaughter to Alaska -

Day 1 - fly Denver to Wrangell which takes almost all day

Day 2 - Anan bear viewing

Day 3 - fly Wrangell to Anchorage which takes most of the day

Day 4 - Anchorage Zoo - zookeeper for a day

Day 5 - Anchorage - whatever she wants to do

Day 6 - drive to Seward. Sealife backstage octopus tour

Day 7 - full day Kenai Fjord trip

Day 8 - drive to Whittier - stops on the way back may include the Exit Glacier, the Wildlife Center. Board Diamond Princess.

Day 9 - 15 - Whittier to Vancouver.

DON

We are doing a land/cruise arriving in Fairbanks on 18 July and leaving Vancouver on 28 July. There is my mom, myself and my daughter. I chose what I did because my mom wants the scenery, I love history, and my girlchild loves animals. I allowed us $1000 for excursions for 3. Here is what we planned.

Fairbanks 18 July

Arriving late. Picking up a rent car and then crashing after a day of travel. Staying at the Princess Lodge.

Fairbanks 19 July

Museum of the North in the morning.

Riverboat Discovery Cruise in the afternoon. Using a TourSaver coupon.

Tracking down Hot Licks ice cream.

Denali 20 July

Train from Fairbanks to Denali.

Picking up box lunches for our dinner at Subway.

Taking shuttle from Wilderness Access Center to Eielson Visitor Center. (Thanks to BQ for the tip on that!)

Staying at Princess Lodge

Whittier 21 July

Coach (it's really a bus, let's just call that)from Denali to Whittier

Embarking on Sapphire Princess

Hubbard Glacier 22 July

Glacier Bay 23 July

Skagway 24 July

Acquired Green Jeep Tours. Will do our own thing, as I think it will hard to get lost. Got the heads up about them from really nice folks at Trails of '98 Tours. Jeanne at Green Jeep has already sent lots of info for us and was great over the phone.

Headed up to the Yukon, stopping at Caribou Crossing so the girlchild can play with husky puppies. Continuing to Emerald Lake to take in the scenery. Dyea as we come back.

Juneau 25 July

Whale Watching with Alaska Whale Watching/Alaska Galore. Using a Tour Saver coupon. I have been emailing with Mendy. Wasn't a problem at all to use the coupon.

Going to do a little walking around at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center.

Ketchikan 26 July

Made arrangements to meet Kat and Dave from Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours. If the tour is half as good as their customer service up front, we are in for a treat!

Afternoon will be spent poking about town doing some last minute shopping.

Inside Passage 27 July

Vancouver 28 July

Headed back to glorious south Texas!

Thanks to these boards for helping me get things worked out. Y'all were invaluable!

We are doing cruise only (no land portion for us).

Day 1 (next Wednesday!!!), board in Vancouver

Day 2, day at sea

Day 3, Juneau - we have booked whale watching with Harv and Marv, then plan on visiting Mendenhall and doing the Mount Roberts Tramway

Day 4, Skagway - we are doing the Yukon Rail and Bus excursion and plan on visiting the Skagway Brewing Company and just exploring the town

Day 5, Glacier Bay

Day 6, Ketchikan - we plan on walking Creek Street, sightseeing and then Misty Fjords flightseeing

Day 7, day at sea

Once we get off the ship, we are spending 4 days in Vancouver...

We fly into Vancouver on May 31st - I think my family and friends are a little annoyed by my countdown, but I am excited!

Thursday May 31st - Vancouver: Arrive and check in - HOHO Trolley and Granville Island for the brewery and a late lunch/early dinner.

Friday June 1st - Vancouver: Depends on the weather, but if it looks good we will go to Capilano in the morning and probably Stanley Park in the afternoon.

Saturday June 2nd - Board Sapphire Princess

Sunday June 3rd- sea day

Monday June 4th - Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flightseeing with Island Wings then walk around town and explore, possible options include the downtown walking tour on our own, the Eagle Center, the totem museum, Raven's Brew Coffee, and Dolly's house

Tuesday June 5th- Juneau: morning shuttle to Mendenhal Glacier, visitor center and maybe walk to Nugget Falls. Afternoon shuttle/tour of Alaskan Brewing Company. Walk around and explore; tramway depending on time and weather.

Wednesday June 6th - Skagway: morning walking tour with NPS. Afternoon Whitepass Railway. Stop at Skagway Brewing.

Thursday June 7th - Glacier Bay

Friday June 8th - College Fjord

Saturday June 9th - Train to Denali

Sunday June 10th - Denali: late afternoon Tundra Wilderness Tour

Monday June 11th - Denali: back to the visitor center - either take a guided hike or go to the kennels. Afternoon train to Fairbanks.

Tuesday June 12th - Fairbanks: Gold Dredge Tour (Goldmine and Paddle boat)

Wednesday June 13th - Fairbanks: Auto museum and Bird Center, fly home that evening.

Great thread, here are our plans for this August...

Sunday: Arrive ANC 1:30 PM

P/U Rental Car and drive to Palmer for dinner

RON at Hatcher Pass B&B

Monday: Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine

Lunch in Talkeetna

Afternoon Mt McKinley Flightseeing with TAT

RON at Princess Mt McKinley Lodge

Tuesday: Backup day for Mt McKinley Flightseeing or

Drive to Denali NP

RON at Princess Mt McKinley Lodge

Wednesday: Head south, swap out rental car for one way rental to Seward

Turnagin Arm, Girdwood and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

Visit Exit Glacier before dinner at Salmon Bake Restaurant

RON at Holiday Inn Express, Seward

Thursday: Kenai Fjord Northwestern Tour

Dinner with CC member Music and her husband

RON at Holiday Inn Express

Friday: Seward Alaska Sea Life Center

Board Radiance

Saturday: Hubbard Glacier

Sunday: Juneau

Whale watching with Harv and Marv

Mendenhall Glacier hike

Fish and chips at TBD???

Monday: Skagway

Yukon tour with DYEA DAVE

Tuesday: Icy Straight Point

Visit Cannery, Museum and Gift Shops

Wednesday: Ketchikan

Creek Street – souvenir shopping

Thursday: At Sea

Friday: Vancouver

Disembark, flight home from Vancouver

We have not quite firmed up all plans for the land portion.

Arrive 11:30 am July 29th in Anchorage, check into Anchorage Marriott. Not sure what to do yet there. We will have been flying for 8 hours, may nap then explore on foot.

July 30th domed train to Talkeetna, check in to Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge. Hike planned.

July 31 domed train to Denali, check into Grande Denali Lodge. Not sure of evening activity.

August 1 - TWT, second night at Grande Denali

August 2 - Coach to Alyeska. Explore town

August 3 - Mt. Alyesk Tram Ride and lunch at summit, then coach to Seward.

Depending on arrival time we will plan an excursion in Seward before boarding Celebrity Millennium for an 8 pm departure.

August 4 - Hubbard Glacier

August 5 - Combo whale watch/fishing with Rum Runners Charters (6 hours) then drop off at Mendenhall for Nugget Falls Hike

August 6 - Skagway, rent a car with Avis, drive to Emerald Lake. Explore/shop Skagway before heading back to ship.

August 7 - Bear watch with Trekk in Icy Point Straight

August 8 - Ketchikan - Flight seeing with Mountain Wings. Shopping

August 9 - Sea Day'

August 10 - Vancouver Marriott overnight. Still working on itinerary for Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday arrive Vancouver

Friday morning sightseeing in Vancouver (still deciding on a tour versus the HO HO bus, then board ship in afternoon

Saturday crusing Inside Passage

Sunday Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flight with Island Wings. Then if time, bus to Totem Bight

Monday Icy Straight point: Whale Watching with Captain Dan (Misty Bay Lodge)

Tuesday Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter & Guided walk with Temsco. Then town in the afternoon

Wednesday Skagway: White Pass train up, bus back with Chilicoot

Thursday Hubbard Glacier

Friday arrive Seward. Still deciding on what to do and how to get back to Anchorage.