How Does The AB Penthouse Compare?

Evilmille

If you're on Dawn, Jewel, Pearl, etc you will be blown away. You may want to search using AB Penthouse and you will see hundreds of posts from those of us who have been lucky enough to stay in an AB!

So far, the only thing that beats an AB is an A3 courtyard villa (same layout only A3 has courtyard access).

You will have a fantastic time - and the two bathrooms are great!

I have to say that as long as you are in anything above a mini suite you will have all the perks associated with a suite. The only one that has more perks is the Garden Villa.

As far as being worth it or not to pay more for an AB Penthouse I would ask you.. Is this a once in a lifetime experience? If it is, I say get as big of a suite as you can and enjoy. If it isn't a once in a lifetime, I really think you would be happy with any suite.

Just my opinion.

We're on the Jewel Dec. 12th and decided to go with the AB. We have 3 dd's so it was an easy choice. The pictures I've seen look wonderful. We've been in balcony rooms on the Dawn and Spirit and loved them as well. The tub and shower made the price difference between connecting balconies not so bad. Have a great time. Janice

Thanks for all the info. We are on the Dawn, we have 2 adults and two teens. Daugther will have second bedroom and her friend (boy) will have the couch.

So there will be 4 people. I would like to say once in a lifetime but if I love it as much as you guys do, I may want to become an avid cruiser.

Thanks for all the info. We are on the Dawn, we have 2 adults and two teens. Daugther will have second bedroom and her friend (boy) will have the couch.

So there will be 4 people. I would like to say once in a lifetime but if I love it as much as you guys do, I may want to become an avid cruiser.

Let the boy sleep on the balcony with the door locked. You may get a better nights sleep

enjoy

d man

You may need take a blow up bed or sleeping bag because the sofas are only two seater love seats, my 4yr old napped well on this but an adult/teen would not fit.

AB is compelling for 3 people (or 2 adults 2 kids). You get real seperation and privacy from whoever you put in the extra bedroom. Converts to bunk for 2 kids if desired.

The extra bedroom is very much private, seperated behind TWO locking doors with its own bathroom. No problem putting non-family in the extra bedroom.

Huge difference between the bedrooms, saying in case 3 adults expect similar (fair) accomodation -- master bedroom is really fancy with an oversize luxury bathroom. Compare this with the extra bedroom, which is just big enough for the bed and small table, tiny standard bathroom. Might generate some resentment unless it is understood and agreed ahead of time that the extra bedroom is radically less cushy

Living room area nice but a little cluttered with furniture.

One disappointment with the cabin is the Balcony is really tiny, just big enough for two chairs and tiny low table between. The tradeoff is the huge master bathroom, would rather have bigger balcony myself.

You get full suite privs in AB... priority tender/embark/debark/reservations... butler..

You may need take a blow up bed or sleeping bag because the sofas are only two seater love seats, my 4yr old napped well on this but an adult/teen would not fit.

Not so anymore. Depending on when you are sailing, the couches are being replaced with sleeper sofas with the implementation of Freestyle 2.0. I'm sailing in an AB for the third time on the Dawn on June 8th. I'll let you all know about the sleeper sofas.

Link to many AB pics in my signature. And, the most comprehensive web page of the AB on the Star (sister ship of the Dawn) can be found here:

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

I warn you! Once you sail in an AB, you'll NEVER go back to anything less. It's wonderful!

Not so anymore. Depending on when you are sailing, the couches are being replaced with sleeper sofas with the implementation of Freestyle 2.0. I'm sailing in an AB for the third time on the Dawn on June 8th. I'll let you all know about the sleeper sofas.

Freestyle 2.0 has been implemented on the Jade and there do not appear to be sofabeds in any of the suites on board. What does appear to be happening is that any suites which currently have sofabeds (not sure which ships this will apply to) will receive new ones.

Well, I searched and searched and can't remember where I read that 2.0 will implement sofa beds in all the suites. I couldn't have been dreaming!!! None of the AB Penthouses on the Dawn have sofa beds (right now). Like I said, I'll report back when I get on board June 8th.

Do they still have the captains cocktail party? I heard it was discontinued!

mew1

To my knowledge, they still do. It's a VIP party with the captain (penthouse suites and higher, as well as gold and platinum Lattitudes members). And, then, I think there's another one for all Lattitudes members.

Link to many AB pics in my signature. And, the most comprehensive web page of the AB on the Star (sister ship of the Dawn) can be found here:

http://www.orcatekweb.com/Cabin-11550.htm

I warn you! Once you sail in an AB, you'll NEVER go back to anything less. It's wonderful!

Thank you very much for this post !!!! Very helpful...we are on the Jade later this summer and was so curious to see the inside of the Penthouse AB. Traveling w/three kids. As for laundry....were you on a two week cruise or seven day cruise. As I know they purged the launderettes after Jade refitting, trying to pack light and take advantage of laundry special - $25/bag. Do they run this periodically or once during a sail?

Thanks....

We've done self-serve laundry (9th and 11th decks) both times. I do remember there being a bag special 2 days before returning, but I don't remember the cost. And, we were on an 8 day cruise (7 nights). But, because we had traveled by train with 2 small children, we had to pack light. Hence, doing the laundry. Oh, by the way, the self serve laundry was free if you bring your own detergent. This time, we're driving, so I don't plan to do any laundry this trip. Thank goodness!!!:D

How can I find out if my AB suite on the Dawn has a sofa bed. If it doesn't I am in trouble.

You could try sending an email to the ship, I have seen people post the email addresses but don't know it myself. I was just on the Gem and the 2nd room had a sofa bed and the overhead pullman so it can sleep three, the sofa in the sitting area was only a two seat sofa, not sure if this is the sofa that some have heard is being switch out or not, but I would not think they would be doing this on the Gem as this is a new ship, good luck finding out the answer to your question. I understand why you would not want them sharing:) . (Hope you don't end up sharing a room with your daughter ):(

We've done self-serve laundry (9th and 11th decks) both times. I do remember there being a bag special 2 days before returning, but I don't remember the cost. And, we were on an 8 day cruise (7 nights). But, because we had traveled by train with 2 small children, we had to pack light. Hence, doing the laundry. Oh, by the way, the self serve laundry was free if you bring your own detergent. This time, we're driving, so I don't plan to do any laundry this trip. Thank goodness!!!:D

Thanks again...I also plan to contact NCL to see if they have any plans for a 14-day sail. All the best.....

Well, I searched and searched and can't remember where I read that 2.0 will implement sofa beds in all the suites. I couldn't have been dreaming!!! None of the AB Penthouses on the Dawn have sofa beds (right now). Like I said, I'll report back when I get on board June 8th.

It was mentioned in this press release:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

but they have since released a new list and the sofa beds is not listed:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_031208_Freestyle2.0

"Not so anymore. Depending on when you are sailing, the couches are being replaced with sleeper sofas with the implementation of Freestyle 2.0. I'm sailing in an AB for the third time on the Dawn on June 8th. I'll let you all know about the sleeper sofas."

I spoke with my TA about this he said they are only replacing the existing sofa beds in cabins that currently have them not adding new ones to cabins that do not already have one. I was hoping that they would add the sofa bed we were looking at the AB for 5 of us 4 adults and 1 child for Jan 09. He called NCL to ask them, but we know that info coming from NCL is not always correct, so I would like to know for sure about this as well.

It was mentioned in this press release:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_122007_Freestyle2.0

but they have since released a new list and the sofa beds is not listed:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_031208_Freestyle2.0

Thank you! I knew I wasn't going crazy! The earlier press release says "addition of sofa beds to suite categories." It stinks if that's not the case. Then, the AB's would be able to sleep 6 (or even 7) instead of 5 that it sleeps currently.

"Not so anymore. Depending on when you are sailing, the couches are being replaced with sleeper sofas with the implementation of Freestyle 2.0. I'm sailing in an AB for the third time on the Dawn on June 8th. I'll let you all know about the sleeper sofas."

I spoke with my TA about this he said they are only replacing the existing sofa beds in cabins that currently have them not adding new ones to cabins that do not already have one. I was hoping that they would add the sofa bed we were looking at the AB for 5 of us 4 adults and 1 child for Jan 09. He called NCL to ask them, but we know that info coming from NCL is not always correct, so I would like to know for sure about this as well.

You can fit 3 people in the small cabin but it would be very tight, on the Gem in the penthouse suite 2nd bed room the sofa bed folds out and is wall to wall and the way it pulls out someone has to sleep up against the far wall and the other would be on the edge (so someone would have to climb over the other) and this sofa bed would be snug for two adults and then there is the pullman overhead. Depending on how old the child is they may fit on the sofa in the sitting area, my 4 year old napped there. We also had a 2yr old and put the pack and play in the sitting area (he still wakes sometimes and we did not want him disturbing our older child) you could try asking NCL if they would provide a cot type bed in the room ( I doubt it but you can ask:) )

No they wont do it, already asked but thank you. I also felt bad about putting my parents in that small 2nd bedroom. I liked the AE we stayed in on the Jewel in Jan and would love that cabin on the Pearl but for now it only has an occupancy of 2, if they did decide to add the sofa bed we would be able to look at that cabin for our Jan 09 sailing. But as of now if we want a suite with all the suite perks we need to book the AB and its a little out of our price range.

Archived