New Cruise Award Protocol

CruisinMatt

Hi

what i have had confirmed is that on my forthcoming cruise in June 2008 i will reach 140 SB days, i have had confirmed from Seabourn both in the UK and the US that i have to book my complimentary 14 day cruise within 2 years of that date, and that i can take it after June 2010, as long as i have booked by then.

I am currently awaiting written confirmation of this

deb

You may recall that another UK poster previoulsy was assured something was accurate by a UK TA (don't know if it is the same one) and it turned out not to be. As I have been speaking directly with those that make the decisions today...even moments ago...I would be very much surprised if you get it.

You may recall that another UK poster previoulsy was assured something was accurate by a UK TA (don't know if it is the same one) and it turned out not to be. As I have been speaking directly with those that make the decisions today...even moments ago...I would be very much surprised if you get it.

Thanks Eric, it certainly appears that they are telling us one thing in the UK and something else in the US, my travel agent read out the letter from SB to me and that is what it stated, but SB do have a habit of saying one thing then changing it

thanks again for the update

deb

Matt,

I don't know if they are going to change the word "redeem" to "sail" or something similar on the website, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Deb,

I am confident that Seabourn US is being very consistent with its position and explanation. (Why? Because they have been very consistent with me!) The problem may be that your TA is not speaking with the executives, but rather a reservation agent...or there is just a misinterpretation of the Seabourn wording.

What I don't understand is why I have not read any questions posed by SB cruisers who have taken their 140 day award and are now working on future days. What number of days do we, who have used the 140 day award (14 day complimentary cruise) have to reach for our next 14 day award?

What I don't understand is why I have not read any questions posed by SB cruisers who have taken their 140 day award and are now working on future days. What number of days do we, who have used the 140 day award (14 day complimentary cruise) have to reach for our next 14 day award?

Could the answer be 250 days sailed?

Hi all,

I haven't posted in some time, so hello to everyone!

I must admit that the language set forth in Seabourn's letter is ambiguous. Quoting from the letter: "The effective date of January 2010 gives club members who have accrued a high number of days a year and a half to complete a total of 140 days and redeem their awards". That seems to imply that one must book and complete the free 14-day cruise before 1/2010. Moreover, the next sentence states: "It also gives club members who have earned a complimentary cruise the chance to book and redeem it, if they wish, before the award level is changed". That, too, seems to say that if one wants to redeem at the current award level, one must do so before the new program goes into effect in January, 2010. It's not as clear as it could be, or should be, but it is clear enough, I suppose. It would be nice to have Seabourn's law department issue a better-worded expression of their intent.

I'm a bit surprised that Seabourn is lowering the benefits during a weakening economy. This is a HUGE take-away in a very competitive marketplace, at a time when Seabourn has also increased its per diem across the board, and added fuel charges. I have no objection to either, as business is business. However, it seems an odd time to be doing this.

Seabourn is still my favorite cruise line, but it distinguishes itself less with this new program.

bldsld

Could the answer be 250 days sailed?

I think the answer is 140 days, so long as you accrue the 140 days and redeem the award at that level before January, 2010. I think the clock doesn't change until that date, so one can extrapolate that the current award program applies to all who are currently participating. So long as the next 140-days takes place within the stated window, as well as the completion of the award travel at today's level occurring prior to January, 2010, there should be no change.

Again, this is a poorly worded policy but I think that is the intent. The good news is that Seabourn is giving everyone adequate advance notice so that those who are close to 140 days can avail themselves of the old policy benefits. The question remains as to why, in this economy, Seabourn is changing the single most important benefit that distinguishes it from other cruise lines. It's a bit suicidal, IMHO.

It is surprising on a number of levels to see the program changes being instituted at this time. I don't know about others' experience, but for me, the most challenging part of the cruise is finding business class air. California is particularly problematical, further exacerbated by the reduction in the number of available flights to just about anywhere. This is true all over the U.S.

At the same time that air has become so difficult, Seabourn is adding significant capacity with the new ships. Wouldn't it make more sense to see what the load factors look like before embarking on a new club program? Just curious to know if I am the only who thinks this is odd timing....

It is surprising on a number of levels to see the program changes being instituted at this time. I don't know about others' experience, but for me, the most challenging part of the cruise is finding business class air. California is particularly problematical, further exacerbated by the reduction in the number of available flights to just about anywhere. This is true all over the U.S.

At the same time that air has become so difficult, Seabourn is adding significant capacity with the new ships. Wouldn't it make more sense to see what the load factors look like before embarking on a new club program? Just curious to know if I am the only who thinks this is odd timing....

Denyse, we do not think it makes a lot of sense. I would agree with you...given the economic times..and a new vessel to fill..strange thinking. You mentioned the difficulty in travel..that is why we will be on SS in Nov..LA to LA will be so easy from Tucson. Lola

If you can do it...and take it...by the end of December 2009 it will be 140 days. If you can't do both, then it is 250 days.

I don't think reducing the number of days of the free cruise is "suicide". Giving away cruises is not necessarily a great thing for the bottom line, especially if it is not generating that many more sales. Also, even at the reduced benefit, it remains the best past passenger program that I am aware of.

There are many ways to get people on a ship including rates, packages, new itineraries, new onboard amenities, better service than the other lines, etc. When you consider which are greater motivators more than the free cruise (7 vs 14) at 140 days, it might just be that Seabourn is counting on the present day value on the new ships and some exciting itineraries on the older ships making up the difference.

Denyse, we do not think it makes a lot of sense. I would agree with you...given the economic times..and a new vessel to fill..strange thinking. You mentioned the difficulty in travel..that is why we will be on SS in Nov..LA to LA will be so easy from Tucson. Lola

Interesting. You have been complaining about not being able to make the 140 days and using the free 14 day cruise by January 2010, but for reasons other than accruing a free cruise you are cruising on Silversea. That makes my point nicely.

As I literally just posted, there are many motivators to picking a cruise...Seabourn isn't your choice and it has absolutely nothing to do with what you have been complaining about.

And Seabourn should extend the deadline because...why??? So you can cruise on Silversea. I am baffled. :confused: Can you explain the logic?

As usual...you interpret posts as you wish...not always as they are. We did not complain about not being able to do it ourselves. We see it as unfair to those who are close to the time..and it will be difficult for them to squeese in the loyalty trip after taking the trips that will put them up to the time that has been issued. I think that they have a fair complaint. My husband stated that we have not been too lucky with these things..as we had almost 100 days accrued with SeaGodess and it was purchased by SB and now..with 99 days sailed with SB..we will not be in a good place again. We do not sail more than 2 weeks a year...thus...it would be an impossibility for us to get the 140 now. That is not a big problem..we are in our seventies..enjoying life..and travel abroad is so difficult now...THAT is why we are doing SS. AND..that is our business! Actually, I don't get the fact that you feel responcible for being involved in each post...Lola

I drop by Seabourn and Silversea boards regularly to see what is going on. Am quite surprised to see the arguing. It seems that everyone is either cutting back on services or increasing prices. What Seabourn is doing seems "normal" for the current economy. Currently, the U.S. dollar is quite low - we cannot expect things to be what they were in the past. If that means missing out on a "free" cruise -- so be it.

Seabourn is a unique product. From my perspective (Regent), I would appreciate the loyalty programs that are in place and support Seabourn. This applies not only to passengers, but to T.A.''s as well.

Lola,

If you read my post immediately prior to the one referencing yours it explains why I posted again. My point, and my only point, is that there has been much talk about Seabourn's program change being terrible for it and its guests, but there is a reality that people (including you:) ) make decisions based upon so many more factors than this program, so it should be kept in perspective. That's all. I meant nothing more.:)

Lola,

Yes, we are perplexed by this change as well. I am wondering if the SB accounting dept. is trying to lower the liability carried on their books, which is the only business rationale I can fathom at this particular economic time. With 3 ships coming out, and fuel prices causing major consolidations (and failures) in the airline industry, this seems a bold move by a bean counter. Of course, SB may not see any drop-off of customer loyalty, which would be great. I just believe that the loyalty program is a major benefit that, as it erodes, has the potential to adversely affect SB's bottom line. And again, the timing in a terrible economy with rising fuel prices is odd! We still love Seabourn, it is the absolute best, but we will be looking at other options in the future, particularly being stuck here on the West Coast. While we might have incurred huge airfares to sail Seabourn exclusively, knowing there was a 2-week cruise benefit at each 140-day milestone, we will be more open to other travel offerings in the future.

Ken and I are thinking of doing that SS cruise as well--the 9 day one in November, right? And for one reason only: air. Are you definitely doing it? Denyse

Denise, we have been booked on that cruise for some time now. SB has always been our favorite ..but...ease of travel comes into play. The latest posts on SS cruise critic sound like they have been trying to be better. We have sailed with them twice. The big todo with them right now..they are limiting the caviar to special parties..no special orders...unless you pay. I have read some of the posts and am appalled at those who brag about the many servings that they ordered each day. I can hardly blame SS when the service is abused. As for the decision with SB, Don was a Marketing/Sales person in his business life...and he thinks they are making a mistake given the economic times. Loyalty is huge...and keeping it not always so easy. Would love for you to join us on the Nov. cruise. Last I knew there was a waiting list..but given the times..that may no longer be true. We opted for the Silver Suite as a splurge..as we have a very inexpensive flight. We also will pay extra for their early board serice..that is so handy..you can relax and have lunch..long before the others embark.

Again, it is nice to hear from you again..your posts are always intelligen..Lola

When we first sailed with Seabourn only 100 days were needed to get a 14 day 'free' cruise. Guess too many of us keep reaching the goalpost! Of course, nothing is free really! We've noticed various cost-cuttings over the past eight years but still like Seabourn, except for the smoking policy.

Lola,

Yes, we are perplexed by this change as well. I am wondering if the SB accounting dept. is trying to lower the liability carried on their books, which is the only business rationale I can fathom at this particular economic time. With 3 ships coming out, and fuel prices causing major consolidations (and failures) in the airline industry, this seems a bold move by a bean counter. Of course, SB may not see any drop-off of customer loyalty, which would be great. I just believe that the loyalty program is a major benefit that, as it erodes, has the potential to adversely affect SB's bottom line. And again, the timing in a terrible economy with rising fuel prices is odd! We still love Seabourn, it is the absolute best, but we will be looking at other options in the future, particularly being stuck here on the West Coast. While we might have incurred huge airfares to sail Seabourn exclusively, knowing there was a 2-week cruise benefit at each 140-day milestone, we will be more open to other travel offerings in the future.

Ken and I are thinking of doing that SS cruise as well--the 9 day one in November, right? And for one reason only: air. Are you definitely doing it? Denyse

Trying to increase sales with new ships coming onboard and competition increasing hardly links with reducing benefits.:confused:

(they are limiting the caviar to special parties..no special orders...unless you pay. I have read some of the posts and am appalled at those who brag about the many servings that they ordered each day.) We just got off the Pride and you can have as much as you want any time of the day or night. Even was served in the pool with a glass of champain. We were 4 couples and I askd for the service not a problem I hate for wrong information on this site. Well we are one of the guests that get served everyday.

(they are limiting the caviar to special parties..no special orders...unless you pay. I have read some of the posts and am appalled at those who brag about the many servings that they ordered each day.) We just got off the Pride and you can have as much as you want any time of the day or night. Even was served in the pool with a glass of champain. We were 4 couples and I askd for the service not a problem I hate for wrong information on this site. Well we are one of the guests that get served everyday.

This ie. caviar refered to Silverseas SS not Seabourn SB so "not true" ???

Lola,

Hi Denyse!

We're now on page 7 of this thread and I think I came to the same conclusion as you did on page 1 already... Yes I did:

icon1.gif

There is one advantage to this new award system: It won't be that difficult anymore to chose a different cruise line for a change! (see my signature)

And the other thing that came to my mind is this "very Dutch" old saying:

"penny wise - pound foolish"! I hope Mrs. Conover understands this saying.

For us too, it was very challenging to go for the 140 days to reach the free cruise. But will we ever do another 250? I certainly hope so, but I think we will have to opt for the 140 days with 7 days for free for reasons that might be obvious for you.

I'm also glad to see you posting here again!

Marja

Archived