New Cruise Award Protocol

CruisinMatt

I still don't know exactly how the new policy affects those of us that have already exceeded the 140 days, and have already received the free 14 day cruise... Please, no speculation, just facts if you are in the know..

Host Dan

:confused: I'm a retired V.P. of Marketing. Giving our current unsettled economic times, if I were the person who came up with the brilliant idea to change the rules on Seabourns loyalty program at this time, I would be updating my resume and get ready to mail it. As I see the facts--Seabourn has 3 wonderful ships that are rapidly becoming obsolete. In a short time the closest competition SS will have 7 (3 new ones) more modern ships--all with balconeys. Seabourn has a new ship coming on line, but it appears to be priced higher than the compeditors ships (We have booked a Silver suite on the Silver Shadow 701 sq ft--balcony--for less than the Penthouse suite on the Odyssey). Obviously most Cruise Critic people are upset about the change--so what? Thats probably less than 1% of the passenger base--they are kind of vocal though! Letters will have to be mailed to probably thousands of past passengers noting the change--you can't consider this good news!it probably will turn some people off! Itinaries have really not changed much in the past 5 years--competition has been making interesting changes each year! Seabourn has become a little stale! Booking may be okay--I think-- but, could it be that all the Odyssey news has caused some people to hold off booking! I have noticed many mailings for cruises next year with big discounts--I believe more than normal. I also noted that Club Signature cruises have a longer list than usual! So with all this stuff going on some Marketing Genius sends out a notice that would not effect Seabourn's bottom line, but will turn many many loyal passengers off! New people just learning about Seabourn probably won't give a darn! So maybe thats the group they are aiming at--but I would hate to go head to head with SS considering the current situation! Don

I agree with Harvey2442.

Early Retiree said "Maybe Seabourn wants to beef up their 2008 and 2009 bookings. If you are close to 140 days, you might take an extra cruise or two to get to take a free 14 day cruise under the old rules. There might be a lot of people in this situation which could transfer to good revenue gains for the company in 2008 and 2009, which is important during the current economic climate." I think this may have the opposite effect - Seabourn is giving far too short of notice of the change. We took our first Seabourn cruise last August and will reach @100 days in March 2009 and would have exceeded 140 days in @ March 2010 - just two months short of the cutoff - so our reward will drop by 50% (14 days to 7 days) as thanks for our loyalty! :( Will that cause us to accelerate our trips to get to 140 days before January 2010 - no - we have many other things planned between now and January 2010. Indeed, as someone else said, the change removes the "Golden Handcuffs" and frees us to consider other alternatives.

This is on the Seabourn website, under the Club link:

"Complimentary cruise of up to 14 days for repeated sailing aboard Seabourn yachts*. Current award: 14 days after 140 days. Award effective January 1, 2010: seven days for sailings 140 days, 14 days for sailing 250 days. Awards may not be redeemed aboard Seabourn Odyssey until April 24, 2010."

This is on the Seabourn website, under the Club link:

"Complimentary cruise of up to 14 days for repeated sailing aboard Seabourn yachts*. Current award: 14 days after 140 days. Award effective January 1, 2010: seven days for sailings 140 days, 14 days for sailing 250 days. Awards may not be redeemed aboard Seabourn Odyssey until April 24, 2010."

There you have it... For those members that already have taken, or will take the current 14 day for 140 days, will also be elegible for the additional 14 days at the 250 mark. A HUGE plus for veteran sailors. (unless there is a disclaimer in the future, as of now there is none.)

Host Dan

There you have it... For those members that already have taken, or will take the current 14 day for 140 days, will also be elegible for the additional 14 days at the 250 mark. A HUGE plus for veteran sailors. (unless there is a disclaimer in the future, as of now there is none.)

Host Dan

Good point! It's surprising that they didn't address that tidbit either way. The idea seems to defeat the purpose of why they made the changes in the first place (cost savings).

Good point! It's surprising that they didn't address that tidbit either way. The idea seems to defeat the purpose of why they made the changes in the first place (cost savings).

I'm afraid I dont follow this line of logic? Can someone spell it out a bit simpler for me? :(

I have sailed 140 days........we take our "freebie" in September 2009....at that point I would imagine my "sailed days" reverts to ZERO....and I start from scratch again? I dont see that I still keep those 140 sailed days and build them up to 250 for another freebie?? What am I missing here?

I'm afraid I dont follow this line of logic? Can someone spell it out a bit simpler for me? :(

I have sailed 140 days........we take our "freebie" in September 2009....at that point I would imagine my "sailed days" reverts to ZERO....and I start from scratch again? I dont see that I still keep those 140 sailed days and build them up to 250 for another freebie?? What am I missing here?

i think you are right otherwise where do you go after 250 days. Having been given your award you must start again although it`s not spelt out very efficiently.

i think you are right otherwise where do you go after 250 days. Having been given your award you must start again although it`s not spelt out very efficiently.

Ok then.. If thats the case, who would get "most day" recognition at the Seabourn Club cocktail party? The person with 100 days, or the person with 1 day (actually 141, but had taken advantage of the free cruise)?

Host Dan

Is it me that is seeing this the wrong way? The way it works at the moment is when reaching 140 days you qualify for a free 14 day cruise, your days continue to add up, even the 14 days free that you have sailed, your next free cruise is at 294 days which is 294 minus 140 (1st free cruise qualifying days) minus 14days (your 1st free cruise) leaving 140, the number needed to qualify for your second freebie. Hope that makes sense to you!! The new system to be introduced (unfairly in our opinion!) is that now you will get a 7 day free cruise after sailing 140 days OR if you choose not to take it you will qualify for 14days after 250 days. Therefore if you have already had a free cruise at 140 days you will qualify for a 7 day after another 140 qualifying days or 14 days after another 250 qualifying days.

This is another step for CARNIVALISATION of Seabourn!! If I see this correctly?

The following is the official position from Seabourn, which is different from what is being said by some here:

1. You will be required to redeem your vested 140 day/14 day cruise by the end of December 2009 (or, calendar dependent, early January 2010). If you vest 140 days in December 2009 you will have a free 7 day cruise if you do not take it by the end of that month.

2. You will, as now, have a choice: 7 day cruise @ 140 days OR 14 day cruise @ 250 days. So, you will not get 7 days at 140 and then 110 days later get another 7 day cruise. You will have to go the full 140 days. (Look at it as a 30 day "discount" if you don't take the 7 day cruise, I guess.)

Your days on Seabourn (recognition by way of pins, etc.) are not actually related to the vesting in a cruise of a particular length. So, your total days does not "reset" upon taking a cruise, but your free cruise days do.

Hope this clarifies things.

BTW, I do not see this as anything other than adjusting the most generous benefits in the industry to be more in line with a high demand, rather than struggling, industry...and giving past guests almost TWO YEARS notice of the change. If you think about how many people are actually close to 140 days and would vest in the next TWO YEARS and not take the free cruise, I think we are talking a very small number of people that will be truly affected adversely. And, seriously, how many people book how many cruises just for the free cruise? I bet not many...until the 100+ day mark has been reached. So if you need 40 days in the next 2 years, book 3 weeks a year and then take a free cruise. Not such a terrible thing.

Thanks for filling in the gaps Eric. I wish the letter would have been more clear. :rolleyes:

I agree Matt, the explaination on the website is very ambiguous...

Thank you Eric for getting in touch with Seabourn and posting their position.

I'll bet there will be ALOT of confused people out there, as most don't read these boards for information!

Host Dan

The announcement is obviously open to misinterpretion. If Iamboatman is correct and I thinks his view ex Seabourn is the same as mine then if I had planned to reach 120 days by December 2009 I will only be entitled to a 7 day cruise when I hit 140 days in 2010 or alternatively 14 day cruise if I run it to 250 days.

In my book that is a restrospective change to terms on what is in effect currently a 10% discount on cruising costs. I repeat if my view is correct it is at best sharp practice. The change should have properly been grandfathered for those part way to their 14 day free cruise.

The motives for Seabourn doing it at this stage of the game with three new larger ships coming on line is hard to imagine - for certain it will not increase loyalty but maybe they want a new type of passenger who knows.

The following is the official position from Seabourn, which is different from what is being said by some here:

1. You will be required to redeem your vested 140 day/14 day cruise by the end of December 2009 (or, calendar dependent, early January 2010). If you vest 140 days in December 2009 you will have a free 7 day cruise if you do not take it by the end of that month.

Boatman, thank you for the clarification as I agree with other posters that “the letter” (which I have not received) and the blurb on Seabourn’s website is ambiguous. I do have a question though. As I transition into emerging old geezership, it takes longer for my morning coffee to take effect.

If all goes according to plan, I will have sailed my 140 days in early November, 2009. Does the 14-day loyalty cruise have to be taken or embarked upon by the end of 2009 or can I book my 14-day loyalty sailing by December 31, 2009? Any insights or information you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Boatman, thank you for the clarification as I agree with other posters that “the letter” (which I have not received) and the blurb on Seabourn’s website is ambiguous. I do have a question though. As I transition into emerging old geezership, it takes longer for my morning coffee to take effect.

If all goes according to plan, I will have sailed my 140 days in early November, 2009. Does the 14-day loyalty cruise have to be taken or embarked upon by the end of 2009 or can I book my 14-day loyalty sailing by December 31, 2009? Any insights or information you may have will be greatly appreciated.

you must start your 14 day award (nicer than free cruise) by end 2009 or bye bye dollie :( and hello 7 day award.

Where I have trouble with the new protocol is not that they are changing the amount of days necessary for a free 14 day cruise. Tell me that I now have until the end of 2009 to accumulate those days and I'm okay. It is Seabourn's prerogative to do that. BUT it's the fact that I also have to redeem them by the end of 2009 that is irritating because it means taking enough cruises to accumulate the 140 days, finding the extra time off to take the free cruise and then actually being able to book a free cruise I want, all by the end of 2009 which is less than 20 months away. The fairer way to do this, imo, is to say requirements change beginning January 2010 but you can still take the free cruise any time in 2010.

Does anyone know about the pins ? How many days for the different levels of pins if they give them . Cunard gives pins I think starting at 50 days or at least they were at 50 days I think . Have quit sailing Cunard as the ships are too large for me now :) . Hal gives tiles but I have a new house so I've already done my bathrooms :p

Seabourn pins start at 100 days.

As for the change in terms, I can understand some disappointment, but "sharp practice"...giving you almost two years' notice? It is more fair for someone who pays more for a 2010 cruise at a higher price to get less of a benefit than someone who has cruised at much lower fares going back 10 years? Let's try to keep it in perspective.

Sharp might be if the changes went into effect on such short terms as those close to making it could not reasonably do it. Here, for those limited folks who are truly close, it can be done with time to spare. Yes, there will be exceptions, but nothing is perfect.

Does anyone know about the pins ? How many days for the different levels of pins if they give them.

The first pin is when you get to 100 days. I think the next is 200 but not sure above that.

The fairer way to do this, imo, is to say requirements change beginning January 2010 but you can still take the free cruise any time in 2010.

Have to say I agree with wripro. If I had 100 days under my belt now and was planning 3 14 day cruises in the next 18/20 months (not two years as Eric has suggested) which, at two a year, is not an unreasonably low number, I would be unhappy if I had to take the complementary cruise within the same time scale. I would have thought an additional transitional period to take the cruise after the end of 2009 would be a very fair and sensible option. There could only be a very small number of people affected but in PR terms the positive effect would be much more significant than the small negative effect on the financial bottom line.

Archived