New Cruise Award Protocol

CruisinMatt

I have received electronic documentation regarding their official position regarding Seabourn's new reward policy, effective Jan 2010. It touches on most all questions many of us have had. Also the footnote on the website has been removed for clarification.

The way the program works today:

Club members accumulate 140 days on board and earn an award of a free cruise up to 14 days. They redeem ( cash in, if you will) that award and their "award days" account clears and starts over at zero and they begin accumulating days toward another award. The total number of days sailed doesn't change but the award account does. In nearly fifteen years with Seabourn I have never heard of, or from, anyone who didn't understand that. This system remains unchanged between now and the end of 2009.

Starting January 1st, 2010, the "rate of exchange" for accumulated days at sea changes. 140 days will then earn 7 days free. 250 accumulated days will earn a free cruise of up to 14 day. Any award voyage embarked after January 1st will be redeemed at this rate of exchange, regardless of when it is booked. The key is embarked, not booked.

Club members will not lose any accumulated days in their account, Once they accumulate 140 days after January 1st, 2010 they can:

Redeem them for a free seven day cruise. (we have lots of great seven days cruises) or

Redeem their 140 days for partial payment on a cruise longer than seven days, or

Continue to accumulate days up to 250, and then redeem for a free cruise up to 14 days.

When they book a free cruise award, their awards-earned account is reset to zero and they begin accumulating days toward their next earned award. The mechanics don't change in 2010, only the exchange rate changes.

Again, to be clear--days sailed on Seabourn Odyssey are added to the awards account just as on any of the yachts. Awards may not be redeemed for Odyssey voyages until after April 24, 2010 when the World Cruise ends. After that , free award cruises can be booked on Odyssey, too.

I hope this helps clarify the transition. This is the same information that was sent to Club members, but with different wording in some cases.

Host Dan

different wording but much easier to understand. I wonder to whom it was sent ?

Also the footnote on the website has been removed for clarification.

That was quick. It was there this morning when I checked. Maybe you're right, Marja ;)

When they book a free cruise award, their awards-earned account is reset to zero and they begin accumulating days toward their next earned award.

Not sure that's right either. My understanding has always been - and no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong - if at the end of a cruise I have a total of, say, 145 days and I then take my complimentary cruise, the additional 5 days are carried forward towards earning the next complimentary cruise. The account is not reset to zero but 140 days are removed from the account. Who will tell me I am wrong?

Not sure that's right either. My understanding has always been - and no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong - if at the end of a cruise I have a total of, say, 145 days and I then take my complimentary cruise, the additional 5 days are carried forward towards earning the next complimentary cruise. The account is not reset to zero but 140 days are removed from the account. Who will tell me I am wrong?

Of course you are right Norm!! If you weren't you would have been shot down by now. Congratulations on keeping your common sense and temperate language, I am afraid my blood boiled earlier and I lost both and all my postings as a result! But I felt better afterwards:-)

Kathryn

To whom and from whom would be nice.

To whom is "me", from whom is one of the executives at main headquaters at Blue Lagoon. This person's identity will remain confidential. I appreciated the response, in writing, and don't feel that naming this person will do anyone any good, and on the other hand may cause a flood of phone calls to this person. Let's just appreciate that we were able to get clarification "from the horses mouth" to all of us Cruise Critic members!

Host Dan

PS Norm, I will verify that only 140, or 250 days will be deducted from your award day "account", and all remaining stay in effect for future reward.

Archived