Thoughts for a nonformal person

bwjm

You don't have to wear a dress.

Black pants and a sequin top will work just fine.

I have a pair of black sequin Oscar de la Renta pants that I've worn to a couple of semi formal/cocktail events.

Phew....the formal debate can get pretty heated can't it. I have not yet been on a cruise but I do not think the dresses are formal. To me formal means a dress or suit that would be appropriate at a black tie event. I would not wear a simple sun dress to that sort of event.

I am assuming the OP might not want to spend an arm and a leg on a dress she may never wear again because she likes more casual attire in everyday life. In that case I would suggest shopping Ebay or thrift shops to find a formal gown. You can very easily find a dress in a style similar to the ones you showed but you can get them in a more dressy fabric and add some "bling" to make it look more formal.

I think that your dresses are lovely. It seems to me that you picked two very pretty, very feminine looks and they CERTAINLY look dressy enough for me. I don't pretend to be some fashion guru but then neither did the person who posted this thread. We have been on several cruises and sometimes we choose to skip the formal nights altogether and go to the specialty restaurants - it just makes it easier to pack.

On our last couple of cruises the number of people who dressed in strictly formalwear for formal nights were clearly in the minority. Most people were dressed nicely - maybe a notch above the usual. I say its clearly an individual's choice and found some of the replies to be pretty "nose in the air". Its more important to me that we are all having a good time and are comfortable in what we choose to wear than that I conform to someone else's wishes. It's vacation time and that's something I look forward to for months and months. Don't let anyone stress you about the formal nights - its not that big a deal. You dress up to have dinner and your picture taken. Wear the dress you like. Go have a fun time and enjoy. :) :) :)

Also I agree with the person who posted in red - we've met some people who dressed to the nines but were the loudest, rudest and pushiest unmannered individuals.

I think that your dresses are lovely. It seems to me that you picked two very pretty, very feminine looks and they CERTAINLY look dressy enough for me. I don't pretend to be some fashion guru but then neither did the person who posted this thread. We have been on several cruises and sometimes we choose to skip the formal nights altogether and go to the specialty restaurants - it just makes it easier to pack.

On our last couple of cruises the number of people who dressed in strictly formalwear for formal nights were clearly in the minority. Most people were dressed nicely - maybe a notch above the usual. I say its clearly an individual's choice and found some of the replies to be pretty "nose in the air". Its more important to me that we are all having a good time and are comfortable in what we choose to wear than that I conform to someone else's wishes. It's vacation time and that's something I look forward to for months and months. Don't let anyone stress you about the formal nights - its not that big a deal. You dress up to have dinner and your picture taken. Wear the dress you like. Go have a fun time and enjoy. :) :) :)

Also I agree with the person who posted in red - we've met some people who dressed to the nines but were the loudest, rudest and pushiest unmannered individuals.

Thank you.....I love all colors of life:D

What are thoughts on these dresses on cruise? I've seen some of the gowns that people have put pics on, but I do not dress up. Church is jeans and a nice shirt! Happens in small town PA.

BUT, was wondering if either of these would pass for a formal night in dining room? If not, buffet for me!:D

Since you posted pictures of 2 dresses, I'm assuming you haven't purchased either one yet.

Will either one pass? As you can see from the many responses, some say they will by dressing them up and others say you'll be dressed better than others. They are not what is traditionally thought of as formal wear no matter how you try to dress them up.

You're wondering what will pass as formal Wear. Although not considered formal wear(long gown), why not think about what will certainly pass....The Little Black Dress? Since you say you don't dress up, the 2 dresses you posted seem to be a bit fussy. The LBD can be dressed up or down and you may find more occassions to wear it rather than either of the ones you posted.

This dress is from Kohl's and it's $27.99. It has a bit of spandex in it so it should be super comfy. Now THIS IS something you can dress up.:)

A bit of jewelry, maybe some strappy sandals, a little bag and you'll look GREAT!

338083?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1248026_Silver?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

Shoes are from Kohl's, $20.99

You're wondering what will pass as formal Wear. Although not considered formal wear(long gown), why not think about what will certainly pass....The Little Black Dress? Since you say you don't dress up, the 2 dresses you posted seem to be a bit fussy. The LBD can be dressed up or down and you may find more occassions to wear it rather than either of the ones you posted.

This is a good suggestion. You can definitely wear that dress, and depending on the fabric even dress it down for other occasions. A lot of websites have inexpensive black dresses.

Is it getting hot in here?

My last cruise I wore a brown sleeveless cocktail length dress, and the second night a lovely blouse and skirt(which I wore to my brothers wedding)-perfectly acceptable especially with cruise lines, relaxing the 'formal' perception. Perhaps it wasn't 'formal' enough for some peoples' standard but by others it was or more so. Just remember this is YOUR cruise-you have paid for it, so have fun and dress however you choose to dress. I haven't seen anyone refuse someone in the dining room for being under-dressed. But, if you do go into the dining room on the 'formal' nights, you may feel better wearing one of the dresses you viewed. Have a terrific cruise. Life is too short to worry over the small stuff.

Hmmm I hope no one thought I was saying anyone was dumb and did not know what formal was. I was just expressing my thoughts on what formal means and some ideas to find some comfy dresses in a style she might like.

On a nice happy note....YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS! AMEN TO THE POSTER WHO SUGGESTED IT!

Hmmm I hope no one thought I was saying anyone was dumb and did not know what formal was. I was just expressing my thoughts on what formal means and some ideas to find some comfy dresses in a style she might like.

On a nice happy note....YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG WITH THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS! AMEN TO THE POSTER WHO SUGGESTED IT!

I don't think anyone thought that of you...there are just "some" posts you need to ignore.;)

Since you posted pictures of 2 dresses, I'm assuming you haven't purchased either one yet.

Will either one pass? As you can see from the many responses, some say they will by dressing them up and others say you'll be dressed better than others. They are not what is traditionally thought of as formal wear no matter how you try to dress them up.

This dress is from Kohl's and it's $27.99. It has a bit of spandex in it so it should be super comfy. Now THIS IS something you can dress up.:)

A bit of jewelry, maybe some strappy sandals, a little bag and you'll look GREAT!

338083?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1248026_Silver?wid=180&hei=180&op_sharpen=1

Shoes are from Kohl's, $20.99

Amen, fabulous choice, you can't go wrong with this type of dress.

It exudes class.

Some might have to look up the meaning of the word, but Iheart you hit the nail on the head with this one ;)

I think either dress would be fine. You can sit at my table!!!

Or our table. Oh what the heck, lets all sit together. Both of those dresses look quite cute to me and would not ruin our meal; but what do I know, I'm in a black cocktail dress.:rolleyes::)

You don't have to wear a dress.

Black pants and a sequin top will work just fine.

I have a pair of black sequin Oscar de la Renta pants that I've worn to a couple of semi formal/cocktail events.

BlueHerons make a good suggestion. Dressy black slacks and a sparkly top are always good options and may be perfect for you instead of buying dresses you may never wear again. You might even be able to borrow from friends and family.

Personally, I think the dresses you posted are fine for other nights on the cruise but not so for formal. Pairing a cotton sun dress with blingy accessories will not make it formal and I think would look odd.

I love the look of the little black sheath dress, but for people who normally don't dress up (heck, I dress up a lot and find them a bit confining), they might prefer something a little softer like this one.

I got one very comfy, nicely dressy, and very similar in shape to the OP's pictures, only in black with a satin cummerbund detail at the waist. It cost 29.99 at Ross.

I just figured my question had been answered. Although I appreciate all the advice, I am a country girl. dressing up to me is nice jeans an a blouse. I don't do make up, I don't do my hair, or any of that stuff. I work in highway construction.;)

I saw the dresses on ebay. The light yellow one is a polyester material, and the cream/off white one is silk/rayon material. They were listed in the cocktail dress catagory, which is why I thought they MIGHT be good for formal night. White one looks like something I MIGHT wear again, although I'm not too sure.:rolleyes:

I wasn't looking for advice on what to wear exactly. I found something I MIGHT wear again, and was THINKING of buying, and was wondering if it would work.

If not (which is what I took the answer to be:confused: ) then it's shorts and the horizon buffet for me! It will NOT break my heart to miss formal night, and I will be comfortable, and I will take the dress $$ (granted, it was only $20) and go buy me a bucket of beer:D and sit on my balcony! That's more my style/pace, anyway.

So, you didn't scare me, I just wasn't keeping up with thread, but came back out of curiosity.

Thanks for all the advice and information, and it is appreciated, but it just isn't me and my personality, sorry. Was just thinking of trying something new/different, but the whole cruise thing is going to be new/different, so I'll have lots of other new stuff to enjoy!

Yes, I did the proms in school, and hated them. Did the wedding thing, hated being in the dress (matter of fact, I wore slippers under gown, and sneakers to the reception!) and changed into jeans after all the pics were done. Hated that too! Was uncomfortable, hated being in a dress, and it just wasn't me. Now that I'm older and wiser (:confused: ) I would rather skip it.

You know yourself best. After what you said above, I honestly doubt that you would enjoy much of anything about formal night. But as you said, you will have plenty of other things to check out!! So have a good time on your cruise no matter what you do. :)

I too am a happily single mom! DH isn't her DDad, but that's a whole other long story!

Anyway, my 15yo DD is going on cruise, she likes to dress up, hence would be why I'm thinking of making an effort to join her. We are going with a group of 30 family and friends, so it isn't like I'm sending her off to the wolves if I don't go.

My DH (of 10yrs) also does not like to dress up. He doesn't care either way, he'll dress up if I tell him too (got him trained that way:rolleyes: ), but trying to decide if the white dress would fit in. Might wait and see what everybody else is wearing in our group, too. I did get the white dress, still in wrapper hanging in closet!

At the risk of throwing myself in the middle of all this ~ which I don't want to do ~ I'll tell you that when you read these boards, it starts to feel like what everyone wears for formal night is a really big deal. Actually, once you're there, you'll really only be paying attention to your own family and you will probably not even notice what anyone else is wearing. And vice versa, they won't be paying any attention to you and what you're wearing. If you look like you're making an effort to be appropriate, no one will give you a second glance. I'd wear the dress and have that experience with your daughter. :) Whatever you do, have a great cruise!

If you're throwing yourself in middle, then I'll take you on my side. I don't want to 'stand out' on the ship for dinner, just want to know I will 'fit in'.. (geez, are we in high school again?:rolleyes: )

Now if someone would have said that right off, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about looking on here again.

But, I enjoy reading what people have to say, have met some interesting people, even some locals! Have a huge range of new people to meet on board from the roll-call, etc etc.. can you tell I'm an excited first timer?;)

But, guess like in high school, was looking for 'approval'.

I too am a happily single mom! DH isn't her DDad, but that's a whole other long story!

Anyway, my 15yo DD is going on cruise, she likes to dress up, hence would be why I'm thinking of making an effort to join her. We are going with a group of 30 family and friends, so it isn't like I'm sending her off to the wolves if I don't go.

My DH (of 10yrs) also does not like to dress up. He doesn't care either way, he'll dress up if I tell him too (got him trained that way:rolleyes: ), but trying to decide if the white dress would fit in. Might wait and see what everybody else is wearing in our group, too. I did get the white dress, still in wrapper hanging in closet!

Well heck...your daughter is going??? As well as other family?? And you bought the dress? In that case...I think you should go for it. :D Really. With that much family there, surely you can stand being in a dress for a couple of hours anyway. :o You probably won't even think about it! And you can get some great pics of the whole group for a terrific trip memento. You will have a great time, regardless. I'm certain of it. :)

Actually, once you're there, you'll really only be paying attention to your own family and you will probably not even notice what anyone else is wearing. And vice versa, they won't be paying any attention to you and what you're wearing.

Ahhh, while I agree with the sentiment of wear what you like and enjoy yourself (especially with all that family there!) I do have to say I really enjoy watching all the dressed up folks coming into and out of the dining room on formal nights. I have a lot of fun dressing up, and shopping for the "right" dress etc etc, so it's a lot of fun for me to see what others have done as well. I'm not too critical of those who don't go all out, but I sure do admire those who do. It's all part of the fun of formal night :rolleyes:

Archived