Canadian money

cruise junky joan

I believe the only hicough you might have is using one of the 'private' ATM machines with your US Bank Debit/Credit Cards. The Cdn and US banks have all kinds of reciprocal agreements covering off international transactions so you won't have a problem with a bank machine. Put in your card...get CDN$s...your US account will show the exchange rate for the day...and whatever service charge you normally pay. Because the private machines don't have such agreements they just won't take US cards.

I think some businesses may have had their "knickers in a twist" a while back when...for the first time in 30 years.... the CDN$ hit parity, and beyond, with the US$ and stayed there. In fact there was a mini-revolt amongst Canadians because we would still have to pay huge exchange numbers on US imports. Books as an example would have the price marked..."$26.50 US / $36.00 CDN"..on them and we all knew that the money was at par. After a couple of months the businesses smartened up and stopped pocketing the difference. Now all is well with the dollars most days...as long as visitors spend lots of them !!!LOL!!!!

[

I think some businesses may have had their "knickers in a twist" a while back when...for the first time in 30 years.... the CDN$ hit parity, and beyond, with the US$ and stayed there. In fact there was a mini-revolt amongst Canadians because we would still have to pay huge exchange numbers on US imports. Books as an example would have the price marked..."$26.50 US / $36.00 CDN"..on them and we all knew that the money was at par. After a couple of months the businesses smartened up and stopped pocketing the difference. Now all is well with the dollars most days...as long as visitors spend lots of them !!!LOL!!!!

Sorry to go off topic. But I hope you are still pleased when you can't get your US magazines when the Canadian book stores decided it's just not worth it for them to carry them. Everyone forgot that the book stores had to pay cartage, duty and taxes, to get them across the border. So there is more involved than the dollar rates. And yes DH is in the industry so I know. He knows of more than a few book stores that have closed because of this issue.

Thought I'd weigh in as I live in Vancouver. I don't know of any businesses that wouldn't accept a credit card from an American bank or credit union - and the only service fees are from the financial institution. However I wouldn't expect to be able to use a debit card anywhere except an ATM - and if the network on the ATM is the same as the network on your card you should have no problem.

Smaller businesses may not accept US currency because of the foreign exchange fees, however most larger businesses do - but other posters are also correct in that the exchange fees charged will be much higher than the banks because of the extra fees paid by the business to deposit foreign currency. (by the way - this is the same practice used in US stores when you try to pay in Cdn. currency - outside of border towns it's practically impossible to do ;) )

When I travel to the US - which I do on a regular basis - I try to use my credit card as much as possible and just go to the bank to get some US currency for incidentals - if you want a bottle of water from a vendor you probably don't want to pay with a credit card.

There are ATM's and a currency exchange service in the airport as well. If you want Cdn. $$ when you arrive just take the escalator from the arrivals area upstairs and ask for the nearest exchange kiosk - shouldn't be too far away.

All in all, don't stress about the currency - as long as you have a credit card it shouldn't be an issue - and there are plenty of places to get it once you get here.

Enjoy your time in Vancouver - it's a beautiful city (especially when it stops raining..............) :)

Cheers,

YaYa

Thought I'd weigh in as I live in Vancouver.

Ya Ya, thanks for chiming in. Wife and I (US citizens) are doing a one day Buchart Gardens tour. Do you know if they will accept USD for payment for meals and souvenier purchases? I think they will but just wanted confirmation from someone who lives in Canada.

I'm confused. My debit card has a Visa Symbol on the fron but a star and Cirus symbol on the back. What kind of fees am I looking at if I withdraw money from an ATM?

I think I understand that if I use my Visa card that is a credit card that I will be charged interst from the day of withdrawl...so I want to take money out of my debit card. What service fees will I run into if I do this.

Skyglider - the restaurants/coffee shops/gift shop at Butchart Gardens will indeed take USD, however you will get your change back in CDN. Better idea would be to use a debit card or credit card, both can be used anywhere in the Gardens.

I'm confused. My debit card has a Visa Symbol on the fron but a star and Cirus symbol on the back. What kind of fees am I looking at if I withdraw money from an ATM?

I think I understand that if I use my Visa card that is a credit card that I will be charged interst from the day of withdrawl...so I want to take money out of my debit card. What service fees will I run into if I do this.

That depends on your bank. Your debit card with a Visa symbol can be used to get money from an ATM. My bank charges me the actual conversion + 1% foreign transaction fee and maybe a non-home bank ATM fee. So your best bet is to ask them!

Ya Ya, thanks for chiming in. Wife and I (US citizens) are doing a one day Buchart Gardens tour. Do you know if they will accept USD for payment for meals and souvenier purchases? I think they will but just wanted confirmation from someone who lives in Canada.

There is no question that they will take US dollars, I was there on Thursday with the Golden Princess. Victoria and Butchart Gardens have had a love affair going with WA state and Seattle since time began, if they didn't take US cash they would go out of business.;)

Archived