Dan, those who've done BOTH Crystal & Regent

JunPOA

Sounds good, Keith. My husband will be pleased at the breakdown, and I am, too. It will help that for the informal nights if he chooses not to don a tie that Tastes (or similar) will be an option. We both love dining outdoors.

Do you think that the more southerly route of Los Angeles to Sydney will differ much in weather, wind, seas from what you experienced going to Hong Kong this year?

If you were to book a cabin for the Los Angeles to Sydney itinerary (yeah, I know you will be otherwise occupied, lucky dog :)), which would you choose, port or starboard, and why?

In terms of the crossings our experience is that each one is different. We have done three crossings from Los Angeles to Hawaii and this years was the roughest of the three as it was rough from Los Angeles to Hawaii. But then, it was relatively calm from Hawaii to Hong Kong. I know a couple who did this same itinerary a few years ago and it was calm from Los Angeles to Hawaii and then they had rough seas over the Hong Kong. In 2008, we sailed from Los Angeles to Hawaii and then over to various Pacific Ocean Islands and then over to New Zealand. The seas were quite calm from Los Angeles to Hawaii. And also over to the Pacific Ocean Islands. We did have some rough seas in New Zealand but then relatively calm seas in Australia. And a couple of years earlier the seas were not calm but not rough. Just in between.

So, no one can predict with certainty how your cruise will be. We plan for these types of cruises to have some rough seas in terms of what we bring with us.

My recommendation is always to try to get as mid ship as you can. That to me is the priority rather than what side of the ship you are on. With that said, on these routes we've found that it is cooler on the Port Side in the afternoon and that can be an advantage in terms of how hot the cabin gets. It may not be as big a deal on the portion that this cruise will do but it was a bigger deal in Southeast Asia.

So, in terms of priority select mid ship and then see if port is available but the latter is not a big deal.

Finally, I do think this is a great cruise. If we didn't have the other commitment for 2010, we would definitely sail from Los Angeles to Sydney and also from Sydney over to Auckland. It's a great way to get over to this area of the world without the long flight. You have all of those great sea days as you go to Sydney with a couple of nice stops in Hawaii. And, then you will have some nice stops in Australia and New Zealand.

If you have other questions about the cruise please let me know.

I wouldn't wait long to reserve cabins and the good news is that the deposits are much lower than in the past to secure cabins.

Keith

My recommendation is always to try to get as mid ship as you can. That to me is the priority rather than what side of the ship you are on. With that said, on these routes we've found that it is cooler on the Port Side in the afternoon and that can be an advantage in terms of how hot the cabin gets. It may not be as big a deal on the portion that this cruise will do but it was a bigger deal in Southeast Asia.

So, in terms of priority select mid ship and then see if port is available but the latter is not a big deal.

Finally, I do think this is a great cruise. If we didn't have the other commitment for 2010, we would definitely sail from Los Angeles to Sydney and also from Sydney over to Auckland. It's a great way to get over to this area of the world without the long flight. You have all of those great sea days as you go to Sydney with a couple of nice stops in Hawaii. And, then you will have some nice stops in Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks for your advice, Keith. For sure we would have selected a cabin as amidship as possible, but I didn't know which side might be better.

Does Crystal always alternate Los Angeles to Hong Kong one year with Los Angeles to Australia the next? If there's a chance that they would do Los Angeles to Australia or New Zealand in 2011 (as well as 2010), then that would be even better for us, but we aren't really interested in Los Angeles to Hong Kong. Doing a combo cruise like this one, we would very much like to book a penthouse for at least the crossing portion, and we would prefer to do it with TWO birthday discount certificates, which we will not have in time for this combo cruise.

Thanks for your advice, Keith. For sure we would have selected a cabin as amidship as possible, but I didn't know which side might be better.

Does Crystal always alternate Los Angeles to Hong Kong one year with Los Angeles to Australia the next? If there's a chance that they would do Los Angeles to Australia or New Zealand in 2011 (as well as 2010), then that would be even better for us, but we aren't really interested in Los Angeles to Hong Kong. Doing a combo cruise like this one, we would very much like to book a penthouse for at least the crossing portion, and we would prefer to do it with TWO birthday discount certificates, which we will not have in time for this combo cruise.

Ocean&Rivers, It's always hard to predict how this will work out in future years.

If I was guessing the Serenity will probably be the ship to visit Australia and New Zealand in 2011 as part of the World Cruise. If so, then that itinerary would have many ports as opposed to just a crossing. But typically the World Cruise voyages are priced higher than other voyages.

Again, it's always difficult to predict what the itineraries will be.

Keith

I think - when considering what the 2011 schedule might look like - that you have to consider what the economy might do between now and when the schedule is announced. Crystal has been very conservative for 2010 (3 weeks in a row of 7 day Mexican Riviera. etc.) and they've still found a need to offer the moon and the stars as in incentive (not that I'm complaining there:D).

It's always hard to predict how this will work out in future years.

If I was guessing the Serenity will probably be the ship to visit Australia and New Zealand in 2011 as part of the World Cruise. If so, then that itinerary would have many ports as opposed to just a crossing. But typically the World Cruise voyages are priced higher than other voyages.

If that means a possibility of also doing some of French Polynesia, that would be appealing, though, I confess, in order to do a back-to-back I would prefer lower prices to more ports, such as would be done on the World Cruise.

It will be fun to learn where the ships will be in 2011, since we will have two birthday certificates to use then, if not in late 2010.

Do you have an idea when the itineraries for at least the first part of 2011 will be announced?

If that means a possibility of also doing some of French Polynesia, that would be appealing, though, I confess, in order to do a back-to-back I would prefer lower prices to more ports, such as would be done on the World Cruise.

It will be fun to learn where the ships will be in 2011, since we will have two birthday certificates to use then, if not in late 2010.

Do you have an idea when the itineraries for at least the first part of 2011 will be announced?

Sometime in September of this year (last year it was in mid September) Crystal will announce the 2011 World Cruise. If you see Australia and New Zealand on that cruise then likely the Symphony will not be sailing in that area. The rest of the 2011 itineraries should be announced sometime in December of this year.

Keith

Sometime in September of this year (last year it was in mid September) Crystal will announce the 2011 World Cruise. If you see Australia and New Zealand on that cruise then likely the Symphony will not be sailing in that area. The rest of the 2011 itineraries should be announced sometime in December of this year.

Keith

Thank you for the quick response, Keith. That's just about four months from now, not bad, really, that we'll know something. :)

• 2 months later...

My wife and I are preparing for our 3rd Crystal cruise, this time to the Baltics. Last time the most formal I got was a blue blazer and slacks with a dress shirt and tie on formal night. I was not the least bit uncomfortable and no one game me stares. I have a nice tux but I am damn sure not going to haul it in a suitcase to Europe for a couple of formal nights. There is a mixture of tuxedos, suits and jackets. No need to worry.

DG

My wife and I are preparing for our 3rd Crystal cruise, this time to the Baltics. Last time the most formal I got was a blue blazer and slacks with a dress shirt and tie on formal night. I was not the least bit uncomfortable and no one game me stares. I have a nice tux but I am damn sure not going to haul it in a suitcase to Europe for a couple of formal nights. There is a mixture of tuxedos, suits and jackets. No need to worry.

DG

The reality is that on Formal Nights Crystal does ask that the men either wear a tuxedo or a dark suit and tie. In general, most comply this attire. Like anything else in life, a few choose to ignore this.

Keith

Hi Dan, Came across your quote as we too are celebrating a delayed 30th weeding anniversary and ISO a Med. cruise Fall 2009. Based on your info above - it seems some of Regent meets our needs e.g. "laid back" while some of Crystal is a beter fit e.g does not need to be alcohol inclusive.The only draw-backs on Crystals (from what I've read) are that gratuities are extra (less important), more important is the issues of required formal attire for evenings:eek: . The last thing my husband is going to want to do on vacation is put on a suit FORGET about a Tux. He feels its his vacation which translates into vacation from proper formal /business attire. I feel similarly although not with as much passion. We don't really drink - so the appeal of inclusive alcohol is NOT an enticement. Here's the dilemma - when I do the Math based on cost pp/day cruise only for a Balcony cabin.

Regent=638/day

Crystal=537/day

HAL= 486/day (I know NOT considered in the luxury category but one we are considering)

I was surprise actually that HAL's pricing was so close to Crytal's considering they are NOT in the same level of luxury category.

Is it possible for someone to still ennjoy and feel comfortable on a Crystal cruise - if we have to be quarantined to our cabin/balcony after 6pm in the evening because we boycott dressing up on formal evenings). We do tend to spend ALL day in port (1st ports, 2nd price, 3rd pampering/customer service ) drive our selection) drive our With high activity excursions in port, once we return to ship - its pretty much eat then sleep.:o

We're usualy too exhaused to be interested in the evening entertainment/shows but for sea days the Crystal lecture /enrnichment series could be appealing.

We both work long hours - so its not that we're antisocial - but we want to be able to focus on enjoying each other's company (its our anniversary) rather than mingling with other pasengers - NOT intended to sound snobby:)

Any suggestions?

PS In case you cannot already infer - we don't need BINGO !:D

leah, RN

I have done both Crystal (Serenity and Symphony) and Regent (Voyager, Paul Gauguin and Navigator). I don't know about your calculation detail and wonder if you have applied all these factors. Regent will give you a free air fare and free shore excursions these days and alcohol beverages are included but Crystal don't give you these as free. You also need to consider the cabin size. Crystal's cabin (standard with balcony) is a lot smaller than Regent. I think overall service level is pretty equal, food may be a bit better in Crystal but not much difference. Based on my taste of wines, inclusive wines in Regent are better than the wine by the glass selling in Crystal. I am a wine collector and know about wine well. I think Crystal is more expensive than Regent if you add up all these factors.

I don't think there is any difference between Crystal and Regent in terms of dress up. They both have similar amount of formal nights and require formal attire for the evening is pretty much the same. Passengers are varied depending on when and where you go. I hate formal nights. Hopefully someday they will no longer require suits and tie when I eat, just say an elegant casual would be enough but giving them as an option for those who loves to be dressed up when they eat. Based on my conversation about formal nights with the cruise director when I was on the ship before, most of female cruisers love formal nights compare to most of male cruisers don't like formal nights. I know there are no formal nights in Sea Dreams but I don't like to cruise with a real small ship. I like Crystal and Regent equally but I would give one more point overall to Crystal because I like their ships are better than Regent ships.

I have done both Crystal (Serenity and Symphony) and Regent (Voyager, Paul Gauguin and Navigator). I don't know about your calculation detail and wonder if you have applied all these factors. Regent will give you a free air fare and free shore excursions these days and alcohol beverages are included but Crystal don't give you these as free. You also need to consider the cabin size. Crystal's cabin (standard with balcony) is a lot smaller than Regent. I think overall service level is pretty equal, food may be a bit better in Crystal but not much difference. Based on my taste of wines, inclusive wines in Regent are better than the wine by the glass selling in Crystal. I am a wine collector and know about wine well. I think Crystal is more expensive than Regent if you add up all these factors.

I don't think there is any difference between Crystal and Regent in terms of dress up. They both have similar amount of formal nights and require formal attire for the evening is pretty much the same. Passengers are varied depending on when and where you go. I hate formal nights. Hopefully someday they will no longer require suits and tie when I eat, just say an elegant casual would be enough but giving them as an option for those who loves to be dressed up when they eat. Based on my conversation about formal nights with the cruise director when I was on the ship before, most of female cruisers love formal nights compare to most of male cruisers don't like formal nights. I know there are no formal nights in Sea Dreams but I don't like to cruise with a real small ship. I like Crystal and Regent equally but I would give one more point overall to Crystal because I like their ships are better than Regent ships.

Your "rating" is about the same as Conde Nast Traveler -- usually Regent loses by 1 point or less. One year Regent won by 1/10 of a point:D

My husband absolutely will not travel with a tux. The most dressed up he gets on Crystal or any other ship is a very dark suit with white tux shirt and tux tie. Works for him and really cuts down on his packing. The suit was made for him and fits extremely well. I don't think anyone has ever inspected it to see if it was actually a tux or not.

The most dressed up I ever get is when I wear either a dark navy or black skirted business suit.

We have never been bothered or stared at on Crystal or any other ship. We have never been turned away from the main dining room

On non-formal nights he wears a blazer and gray slacks with dress shirt and tie.

It is a diservice to Crystal to continally say that tuxes are required on formal nights and likely costs the company some business.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband absolutely will not travel with a tux. The most dressed up he gets on Crystal or any other ship is a very dark suit with white tux shirt and tux tie. Works for him and really cuts down on his packing. The suit was made for him and fits extremely well. I don't think anyone has ever inspected it to see if it was actually a tux or not.

The most dressed up I ever get is when I wear either a dark navy or black skirted business suit.

We have never been bothered or stared at on Crystal or any other ship. We have never been turned away from the main dining room

On non-formal nights he wears a blazer and gray slacks with dress shirt and tie.

It is a diservice to Crystal to continally say that tuxes are required on formal nights and likely costs the company some business.

Hi Pennyagain, This is helpful in looking towards selecting our next cruise (2010 or 2011) future , DH will not dress up beyond dressy khaki slacks, and navy sports coat - he will throw the tie on thank God (but only at my insistence. Tie starts coming off the minute we leave the dining room !:D If SS or Crystal offer an interesting South Pacific itinerary in my time period - I'll give them a consideration. Already checked SB Odyssey & their newest ship scheduled the Sojourn but no itinerraies matched our interest. BTW - we finally decided on Seabourne for the Mediterraen this Fall, trying the new Odyssey in just about 6 six weeks (it'll be a long 6 weeks) - very excited !

Take Care,

Leah RN

Hi "jsroh" - it had been so long since I wrote that post, and I do not check the Luxury Board all that often so I missed your most well-thought and comprehensive reply, sorry about that. Thanks for submitting - see my reply to Pennyagain about what we did finally decide on. Already looking for Polynesia - something beyond the itineraries PG offers - already been there done that. Thinking maybe something more along the line of Pitcarin, Fiji, - areas not quite so touristy. Had eyed Cruise West - I think it was Legends of Polynesia but date did not work. Beleive it or not also considered dare I say it "Freighter" on the Aranui III. No really - in tropical climates like Polynesia - why not a freigher - if ports are our primary focus, I'm willing to give it a shot. Certainly no need for TUX there !:rolleyes: My travel agent thinks I'm nuts fro considering Aranui III.:D

Leah RN

• 4 months later...

Very interesting post.

Now that Regent has done away with formal nights for most cruises and Crystal has many formal and informal nights, does that sway your preference more toward Regent?

Archived