Having traveled China SHOCKED there are no earthquake posts!!

SakeDad

Having traveled the "normal" Beijing/Xi'an/Chongking/Yangtze River/Shanghai route I know that MUCH of it has been effected by the severe earthquake there. I can't believe there has been no comment or questions here!:eek: I personally worry about so many that I met there that now have no homes and are sleeping on the streets. I can only pray they are OK. If I was going there on a tout I would be VERY VERY VERY CONNCERNED that it would be cancelled or severely altered.

SakeDad, there is not much to add on this site that is not found on China specific boards, blogs, and news sites.

We are traveling to China again this year. We will go to Tibet (luckily after the Olympics so Tibet should be reopened). We will go to Chengdu to see the Pandas (road to Woolong Preserve may still be closed but Chengdu Preserve was open on Tuesday after the quake). Yes, it is a tragedy but not too much to discuss here.

OK Sakedad.

Here is your post.

There is very little damage or inconvenience outside the Sichuan area.

Eastern / Southern China is largely un-affected by the earthquake

Think of it this way. China is far larger than the USA. When California has a large earthquake, how are things in New York City?

OK Sakedad.

Here is your post.

There is very little damage or inconvenience outside the Sichuan area.

Eastern / Southern China is largely un-affected by the earthquake

Think of it this way. China is far larger than the USA. When California has a large earthquake, how are things in New York City?

According to the CIA Factbook, the area of United States is 9,826,630 sq km and the area of China is 9,596,960 sq km. True, other sources due have China slightly[/] larger than USA. No matter, China is not "far larger" than the USA.

I found a good (relative term given the bad situation) of photos of the earthquake damage.

http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20080513_1.htm

Chengdu is an easy excursion to do from either Shanghai or Hong Kong to see the Pandas. Just because is not on the coast, does not mean that cruisers will not be inconvenienced or impacted.

And if cruisers in New York wanted to visit Disneyland in California after an earthquake, it would also be inconvenient - but not much.

Worth an email or a CC posting?

Probably not.

Tokyo had a 7.0 earthquake the day before the 7.9 quake in China.

It didn't even make the news.

Actually we had earthquakes of 6.2, 6.3, and 6.8 all within an hour 100 miles north east of Tokyo off the coast of Ibaraki Prefecture four days before the quake in China. Although they were noticeable here in Tokyo, they were off the coast and did not cause any real damage.

However, they did make the news in the US. Here is a link to the CNN story.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/07/japan.quake.ap/index.html

Even the news reports in Japan fail to mention the two earlier quakes. However, they were quite noticeable.

And if cruisers in New York wanted to visit Disneyland in California after an earthquake, it would also be inconvenient - but not much.

Worth an email or a CC posting?

Probably not.

An increase of 1 step on the magnitude scale corresponds to 31.6 times increase in the amount of energy released. A 7.0 earthquake is bad, while a 7.9 earthquake is definitely a disaster.

Archived