Shipping luggage

eleanordew

Now that most of the major airlines charge for a second bag, which makes it difficult to pack for formal nights on board ship, has anyone tried shipping your clothing, etc. using USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.? Is it expensive? Is it worth it? Can you ship directly to the cruise line/dock?

I'm wondering whether I should ship my luggage for my cruise to Alaska this summer, or would that just complicate things?

Celebrity is one of the few lines that still will not accept shipped luggage. Believe me, we've tried. We even tried using one of those luggage shipping services for our most recent British Isles cruise and all three companies refused to ship because of RCCI/Celebrity's policy.

You can ship to your pre-cruise hotel, if you're going in a day early, and if the hotel accepts shipped bags.

Yes, it is expensive. For example, one bag of 50lbs, via Fed Ex from our home in Wisconsin to Ft Lauderdale is in the $290 range, one way. I think I'd rather pay the $25 fee for the extra bag. But, when shippping internationally, I prefer to ship, especially if I have to fly through Heathrow.

Celebrity is one of the few lines that still will not accept shipped luggage. Believe me, we've tried. We even tried using one of those luggage shipping services for our most recent British Isles cruise and all three companies refused to ship because of RCCI/Celebrity's policy.

I investigated this about 18 months ago, because of the limitation of one bag with a max of 20kgs (23 kgs on BA) if flying within Europe, e.g. London to Rome. Given that we're in the UK, that's what we would do.

The reply from RCI recommended that I should pay the airline's excess baggage. They went on to add "...involving a third party such as the port ground handlers could prove to be problematic".

Shipping luggage to Europe is HUGE money! The luggage shippers that I contacted wanted $1600 to ship 2 large suitcases from Salt Lake City to Barcelona. I found this funny, because I could have actually paid someone to fly with us, and handle our luggage for that much.:D

I investigated this about 18 months ago, because of the limitation of one bag with a max of 20kgs (23 kgs on BA) if flying within Europe, e.g. London to Rome. Given that we're in the UK, that's what we would do.

The reply from RCI recommended that I should pay the airline's excess baggage. They went on to add "...involving a third party such as the port ground handlers could prove to be problematic".

The third party is the key. We arranged shipment of a bag with all of our cruise specific clothes (tux, suit, gowns, etc,) home (California) from Southampton last April 10. Celebrity off loaded it to the pier supervisor, who does not work for Celebrity. Then the courier was to pick it up from her.

We verified that our bag was delivered to the pier supervisor and left for the ground portion of our trip. When we got home a week later we had an email from the courier telling us that when they arrived for pickup, the bag couldn't be located. As of today it still hasn't been found. Everyone points at everyone else as to fault.

Regards

Now that most of the major airlines charge for a second bag, which makes it difficult to pack for formal nights on board ship, has anyone tried shipping your clothing, etc. using USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.? Is it expensive? Is it worth it? Can you ship directly to the cruise line/dock?

I'm wondering whether I should ship my luggage for my cruise to Alaska this summer, or would that just complicate things?

From the lower 48 to Alaska-if you REALLY want to ship, ship Priority Mail via USPS. You will have to box your suitcase-U-Haul has great boxes that fit most suitcases cheap. Shipping cost for 50 pounds will cost less than $85.00. You will need either a hotel address (and an agreement from the hotel that they will accept the package) or ship %General Delivery, Anchorage Main Post Office, where you will pick up. Better call to find out how long the main Post Office will hold a package (most have a 5 day limit).

Any other way of shipping will cost AT LEAST double-the luggage services over $250.00 for 50 pounds.

It is MUCH cheaper to check the second bag.

If you are traveling within Europe on a budget airline, be extremely cautious. We went from San Juan on a transatlantic cruise in March-April with disembarkation in Southampton. Figured we would go on to Dublin as the fare was about what it cost to take a bus to Heathrow. Well, the cheap airlines in Europe are now charging for the bag AND the weight inside the bag. Used to be so much for the bag and the 20 kg inside. Cost us an extra $500 for luggage.

Anytime you fly intra-Europe their rules for luggage are much more restrictive than flying to or from the US. Also, the so-called budget airline, Southwest, has had the least restrictive luggage rules so far, so it isn't all the budget airlines.

Shipping luggage to Europe is HUGE money! The luggage shippers that I contacted wanted $1600 to ship 2 large suitcases from Salt Lake City to Barcelona.

I found this funny, because I could have actually paid someone to fly with us, and handle our luggage for that much.:D

I'll volunteer :D

Archived