What currency can we buy on the Nautica

lindaann

We will be on the Nautica - Black Sea cruise in July. Almost all of our ports of call are in non EU countries. Each day a different country. Usually we use ATMs in Europe. Has anyone had any experience with what type of currency can be used in Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine or Russia? Is the Euro widely accepted and can we buy any kind of foreign currency on board from the purser's desk?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Linda

If you're going on ship's tours, you may not find lots of opportunity to spend money, although you'll probably be taken through areas with craftspeople. Textiles are what I mostly remember, but lots of folk artifacts. and amber. As I remember (from 2004), they were happy to get a hard currency, any of them. Not sure about larger stores, but I'm betting they'd be happy to get them too, especially euros.

Unfortunately you will probably also encounter beggars, or at least street performers. So keep a few coins with you.

If you are touring and plan to buy "stuff", eat lunch, take a bus or tram you will most likely need the currency of the country you are in.

We bought Rubles, Euros, Swedish Krona and Estonia Kroon for our June Baltic Cruise. The amount was based on our estimated needs while touring (on our own or with private tours - we are not taking any ship excursions).

You will find shops and restaurants that take credit cards. You will find vendors (not stores) who will take dollars, euros and local currency.

Since the hours you are in port except for Russia are limited finding an ATM to get currency will eat into your sight seeing time.

Oceania will have currecny on board. They charge approx. 5% as a fee and if I recall correctly the exchange rate they use is less then the official daily rate. In that I mean you are paying MORE then what the official rate is plus the 5% fee. You will need dollars to buy the currency if you charge it to your CC your bank will consider it a cash advance and you will pay additional fees.

So call your bank at home and see if you can get your currency at home before you go. We use Bank of America and ordered on line.

Hope that helps.

Hi Lindaann. We are on the same cruise in July. In Bulgaria and Romania I have found that there really isn't much to purchase, and since we are there for only a limited time, the use of a cc is what we will be doing. In the Ukraine ports again I feel that there is no need for local currency. The private tours that we have arranged ask for payment in dollars. In Sochi, unless you are on a ship tour or have arranged a private tour, a vista is needed to enter. Our private tour is asking for payment in Euros. Turkey, on the other hand, both Euros. and Turkish Lira are accepted. Our hotel pre cruise in Istanbul bills in Euros.

Glenn

I can see that this could be a problem for lunches and trinkets (which I always end up purchasing) when credit cards may not be taken by the vendor. In the Baltic we did get local currency in each country, trying to estimate the amount we would need. With the dollar in decline, many people may not be willing to accept it - but they may take euros. You never know.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Istanbul and Bulgaria, Rumania and Ukraine in the Black Sea. We had no problems using USD or Euros for tips, trinkets and drinks, and even for private tour guides.

You can buy currency at your local American Express office ( assuming you have AMEX) before you go..always a good idea to have some local currency and easier if you get it in advance..

ship charges big fees for the currencies and may not have certain country currency available.

Also, nice idea to bring lots of US 1.00 bills.:rolleyes:

that you can still buy trinkets for US dollars in various ports. My DH hates spending more on local currency than the going rate - so we go to an ATM at arrival at the airport. I try to keep Euros from previous trips but we are down to 15 Euros which will not go far on the Black Sea trip so we will have to purchase more when we arrive in Turkey. Maybe the dollar will do a little better by July!

Susan

Not sure if the ATMs in Turkey convert to Euros since that is not their currency.

Agreed. The ATM's in turkey will give you Turkish Lire which won't do you much good outside of Turkey.

..........Stan

Since the hotels and tours I have booked in Istanbul all have given me quotes in Euros, I assume you can obtain Euros at the ATMs. Last year we were in Croatia and although they still have their own currency, the kuna, we were able to get Euros from the ATM.

I will need to check this out. I believe that countries who are trying to get into the European Union and are using both currencies have ATM currency options.

Two years ago, and Turkey was trying to get into the EU then, the ATM's only spit out Turkish Lira, I would assume the same is still the norm. Many hotels will quote rates in Turkish Lira and Euros as quite a few Europeans travel there and if they can, they like to get cash and offer incentives for it. The best assumption for an ATM is that it will spit out the official local currency.

Archived