Just off the Holiday

We just got back from the May 10th sailing. I really didn't know what to expect since there is so many conflicting reviews. We arrived at the port and went thru all the procedures and was on board having lunch by 12:30pm. After lunch we headed to our room, which was very clean but we did experience brown water daily even in the shower. We tried letting it run but it didn't help. Also there was strong sewer smell on our floor(upper deck) and the empress deck. The staff was so friendly espeically Becca the assistant cruise director, we had met her before on the Sensation a few years back. The food was excellent , couldn't ask for anything more.

I really don't have any complaints except for the brown water and sewer smells. According to our cabin steward some of the toliets on the upper deck was stopped up. Some of the maintenace men was carrying pipes, it appeared they was going to replace some.

All in all it was a great vacation, I would definetly sail her again.

I was wondering...where was your cabin? I am thinking the water may be in relation to where cabins are......I was in M54 and saw no brown water. Only noticed the smell the 2 days in port on the Riviera deck and on Upper and Empress the last sea day.....Glad you enjoyed your trip. We also loved it and will be going again.

we did experience brown water daily even in the shower. We tried letting it run but it didn't help. Also there was strong sewer smell on our floor(upper deck) and the empress deck.

I really don't have any complaints except for the brown water and sewer smells. According to our cabin steward some of the toliets on the upper deck was stopped up. Some of the maintenace men was carrying pipes, it appeared they was going to replace some.

This is becoming the norm on this ship......

nix brown water, or sewage smell (never noticed).., had fuel refund, got a $50 OBC from TA, 2 bottles of wine..from a fave waiter and MD, (no corkage) Got to meet Gerry Cahill, CEO..and won the draw for the semi finalist free 7 day cruise..Becka drew, and was as shocked as I was. The best food in all 12 on the Holiday!..Will start back cruising in August, Sept Oct and Nov..awwl mah boggs ahr pocked..!

We had only the slightest brown water on our previous cruises and noticed no sewer smell at all - we were on Upper deck, starboard near the stern and Empress deck, starboard near the bow. We're booked twice more on her this year - once will be Main deck, port midship and once Empress deck, port side, nearer the bow - Had to go with Main deck to be near my brother who is in one of the handicapped cabins.

Also there was strong sewer smell on our floor(upper deck) and the empress deck.

Apparently, this must be a problem with the Holiday..it was one of my biggest complaints when I sailed on the Holiday back in 2005. You'd think they could have taken care of this problem, being it was 3 years ago that I experienced it. It was almost unbearable (we had a cat. 1A), especially when in port.

I was wondering...where was your cabin? I am thinking the water may be in relation to where cabins are......I was in M54 and saw no brown water. Only noticed the smell the 2 days in port on the Riviera deck and on Upper and Empress the last sea day.....Glad you enjoyed your trip. We also loved it and will be going again.

I was the upper deck, didn't really notice it till Sunday night. It was worse on the empress deck. On the last day you could smell it on the Lido deck. It was strong at times but like you said not everyone experienced it. My uncle was on the main deck and he didn't smell. It is a small price to pay for a great vacation, I just wished they would fix the problem.

Poor hygenic facilities and sub-standard amenities has always been the norm for the Holiday.

What an unfair and exaggerated statement! The Holiday has not ALWAYS had that problem.

Five cruises on her, and I still have never experienced the brown water or odor that some folks mention.

Do you not notice that almost all passengers say they had a wonderful time on the Holiday, and not even mention any negatives?:rolleyes:

What an unfair and exaggerated statement! The Holiday has not ALWAYS had that problem.

Five cruises on her, and I still have never experienced the brown water or odor that some folks mention.

Do you not notice that almost all passengers say they had a wonderful time on the Holiday, and not even mention any negatives?:rolleyes:

Cotton, you have to consider the source. KY has been PO'd with the Holiday for quite a while.

We sailed the Holiday back in 12/07 and although we had a little of the brown water, I still booked another trip for this Dec. As for the sewage smell, we have had that on every ship that we have sailed, but you must realize that my smeller is alot better since I quit smoking. Tastebuds work better too.;)

KYtransplant likes to yank your chain. Ignore him and he will go away.

Yeah, KY Transplant has an agenda! To try to convince as many as possible that the Carnival Holiday is a filthy, rotten, stinking ship that attracts only bibb overalled, pot bellied southern rednecks as passengers. Trouble is, for him, it ain't workin'. Crawl back in your hole KY.

Yeah, KY Transplant has an agenda! To try to convince as many as possible that the Carnival Holiday is a filthy, rotten, stinking ship that attracts only bibb overalled, pot bellied southern rednecks as passengers. Trouble is, for him, it ain't workin'. Crawl back in your hole KY.

The stench of a poseur will overpower the smell of sewer and jock itch balm everytime. In comparison, the Holiday smells like a rose garden. :)

• 1 month later...
Well we are headed off on Holiday for our first cruise on July 24th. Will definitely post back on any issues!

Please let me know about the smells...my friends just booked on upper deck. We sailed her last jan, had a slight brown to water first min it ran..always went away. Didn't notice any smells...of course we spent most time up on deck around the pools.

Also please let me know how the new dinner seating times are working...

Thanks...Vicki

We sailed the Holiday June 26. Only time I noticed the sewer smell was as we were getting into port and it was fleeting. Like you'd smell it for a minute then it was gone.

We stayed on Empress, no smell there at all. We had one day where we saw brown water, let it run a minute and it cleared right up.

It's not a new ship and if you are expecting a new fancy one like you see coming out, you will be sorely disappointed. But if you are expecting a great time on an older ship with a wonderful staff and food and go into it with realistic expectations, you'll enjoy yourself as we did.

Dh and I would sail her again in a heartbeat. Not one I'd pay to take all 4 kids on I don't think but perfect for us.

. Not one I'd pay to take all 4 kids on I don't think but perfect for us.

This is the perfect one for the kids. It's CHEAP! I can't imagine trying to pay for 4 kids. Even if we were in the bowels of the ship with the pullman berths, I would have to go to the bank with a co-signer.

I guess it is hit and miss. I was on the Holiday with friends 6/08 they were on the empress deck and we were on the Upper, no problems. I'll be on her again July 24,2008. I'll keep you posted.

Archived