Around the Seabourn Water Cooler... Off topic and fun posts here!- Updated

Host Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jane! Will be boarding Spirit there in December, but we will have a couple of days beforehand. I have never been tho' my wife has, but many years ago. Now looking forward to it more than ever.

I have posted this before, but it might bear repeating. My favorite shop.

For a bit of shopping in Lisbon, don't fail to stop at:

Caza das Vellas Loreto, Rua do Loreto 53-55. This is a candle shop, making and selling beeswax candles since 1789. It's fabulous, and you can buy several interesting candles that are both unique and eminently packable. There is a Google map and more info if needed.

Thanks Jane! Will be boarding Spirit there in December, but we will have a couple of days beforehand. I have never been tho' my wife has, but many years ago. Now looking forward to it more than ever.

Spent 2 weeks in Lisbon in December our 4th 2 week visit. We love the city if you are a walker you can cover the main area quite easily. The metro is really good as are the buses. A good cup of coffee can be had for just over a euro almost anywhere. Even in Dec you can sit outside at a sidewalk cafe quite comfortably. A Beautiful city with so much to do and very reasonable.

Thanks folks.

Now I am wishing we had more days there.....Any tips for hotels? We are looking at the Altis Belem or the Olissipo Lapa Palace

We stayed at the Olissipo Lapa Palace for 2 nights mid-May this year following our Seabourn Pride Cruise and would thoroughly recommend it.

We just wanted to relax as we had visited Lisbon before so the fact that it is not in the centre of Lisbon suited us fine.

Not cheap but worth it. Go for the River View room is you can and try and get breakfast included in your room rate. We booked through booking.com.

Thanks folks.

Now I am wishing we had more days there.....Any tips for hotels? We are looking at the Altis Belem or the Olissipo Lapa Palace

There are lots of nice/good hotels, it depends on if cost is no object.

I always check on booking.com and some of the other sites take notice of the reviews and have allways managed to find good, and sometimes wow places to stay at quite reasonable prices. It also depends if you want to be in the centre and easy to get around. Our long stays we normally go self catering so have not a lot of hotel recs. We stayed 1 night in the Mondail, sp, nice comfy adequate room right in the centre walk to anywhere, metro stop right outside Martim Moritz, sp,. Not i'm sure anywhere up to Seabourn standard but very nice, clean, included breakfast and I wanted to leave my bags early went to check and was told I could check in early:cool:

Edited by electra2008

This should improve things for many

http://www.seabournclubnews.com/2012/060112/article3.php

This is one good HAL policy that has rubbed off onto Seabourn. It is really nice to be able to go direct to ship after checking out of the hotel. We always arrive at least the day before the cruise and the dead time from 11-12 hotel check out and afternoon ship boarding has been a pain.

Even though we have boarded Seabourn before 3PM, we were always a little concerned that we wouldn't be able to. Where as, on HAL, there is never any question.

We always get a late check out. While nice to board ship early, you can't get to your cabin. And hanging out with carry ons at lunch just isn't fun for us.

We'd rather let the crowd go onboard then head to the pier after the line has quieted down.

We always get a late check out. While nice to board ship early, you can't get to your cabin. And hanging out with carry ons at lunch just isn't fun for us.

We'd rather let the crowd go onboard then head to the pier after the line has quieted down.

I agree...better tolet them ATTACK the Colonnade and waqit for the crowds to leave.:D

• 1 month later...

A similar thought crossed my mind. When I saw your post, Jane, my first thought was "Surely this sort of behavior does not happen on Seabourn !"

I have never come across it in my pretty limited experience - but perhaps someone has....????

A similar thought crossed my mind. When I saw your post, Jane, my first thought was "Surely this sort of behavior does not happen on Seabourn !"

I have never come across it in my pretty limited experience - but perhaps someone has....????

Oh it happens. Do a transatlantic crossing, and you will see!

Host Dan

I can't say I have noticed it.However on the little sisters I sit in a good chair at the SkyBar and then take the elevator down to the MDR. On the larger ships I also read at a table under the shade on the side. I am also very happy reading in my suite, as well. After lunch if I do go to the Veranda on the little ships, I like to sit outside at a table and read. Also very peaceful.

Gulp!!!

We are doing a TA on the Spirit in December.....

It appears to be far from sold out at the moment, so maybe there will be plenty of spare loungers.....

On one of the more memorable TA's, a group of Brits were notorious for saving lounges. They would put a can of beer, with a towel on each lounge, very early in the morning. They were "known" as the "Lounge hogging beer drinkers!" :D

Host Dan

OMG

Shame of a Nation. Actually, like Jane I prefer to sit at a Sky Bar table. DW does like a lounger on the same deck though, but not down n the pit with the jacuzzis.

I thought TAs were genteel affairs full of bonhomie

So do we think this is something that Seabourn will adopt or only the Carnival Line? It would be hard for me to sit down, spread the towel and open the can of beer, after waiting a suitable time, whatever that might be.