Deutsche Bank (Germany) ATM in Italy

I saw people post about Deutsche Bank before but never get any answer about the ATM questions. I just talk to Bank of America Agent over the phone. I asked about using ATM in Italy. First of all, she said BOA does not have ATM Alliance in Italy. Then I ask how about using Deutsche Bank ATM in Italy. She said Deutsche Bank is in Germany. I told her Deutsche Bank have branch offices all over Rome. Then she said if that is the case, I can use Deutsche Bank in Italy for free of charge. Since, I am not sure she told me the correct answer, has anyone out there actually BOA customer and used Deutsche Bank outside Germany before? Both Germany and Italy are using euro, there are not currency conversion at all. I don’t want to pay $5 service charge plus 1% transitions fee.

Few months ago when I traveled in Hong Kong, I use China Construction Bank (China) ATM in Hong Kong. I can withdraw Chinese RMB or Hong Kong Dollars and free of charge. China Construction Bank is BOA Alliance in China. The only different is Hong Kong is part of china but HK is using different currency

From our personal experience last May the service charges for any BOA debit transaction (affiliate or not) WILL apply. We used, instead, a Paypal debit card which we preloaded with funds before we left home. We also called and left the dates we would be away and overseas. Their charge is $1. per transaction and 1% conversion fee. Best we could find although there are some better ones listed here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

just none in our area in Florida that we could easily access before our cruise last May. So since we already had an active Paypal account decided to use it. Made sure we had a 4 digit pin. Our BOA card was our back up, but never had to use it. Everything went perfectly and we got a good exchange rate with no service fees at the bank ATM's we used all over Italy and some in France.

Best deal of all was to use our Capital One credit card wherever possible and ask to be charged in the local currency.

I bank with Scotiabank which is an affiliate of BOA and Deutsche Bank internationally, we didn't pay any usage fees. You'll still pay the standard conversion rates plus their cut, but the $5 overseas withdrawal rate was waived. BNP Paribus is also an affilate which we saw in Italy (they're everywhere in France). Can't you check BOA's website? we were able to get all the details from Scotiabank's website before we left.

We used our BOA MC in Rome at Deutschbank and did not pay any service charge.

I was told by BOA that Deutschbank in Italy was not part of the global alliance and that there would be a $5 transaction fee.

I was told by BOA that Deutschbank in Italy was not part of the global alliance and that there would be a $5 transaction fee.

Perhaps there are different kinds of BOA debit cards and it depends on what type of account you have? Our card was definintely charged the $5. fee the one time we used a Duetschbank ATM in Italy in a pinch.

This was all I could find on BOA site..which is useless.

The non-Bank of America atm fees do not apply at some atms located outside the United States. Call us before you travel internationally for current information about banks participating in the program.

See the disclosure information that accompanied your card for other fees that may apply.

We have Scotiabank (Canada) ATM card, which means I can use any Deutschebank or BNP Paribas --- I will be travelling in Spain, Italy and France - are there many of these two banks' ATMS around in Italy or Spain?

Would love to not incur the $5 international banking fee.....

Archived