D1 or JS on Rhapsody?

MrsSgtHopp

First thing is difference in price if big difference maybe not but if just a little extra it might. We just came back from our first cruise on RCCL and it was on the Rhapsody and we were in a JS and we really liked it we had one of the corner aft JS cabins (8588) and we really liked it. Never stayed in a D1 so I can't give you a real good comparison but what I've read the JS is bigger and it has a tub and not just a shower another thing that helps is getting on the ship is easier because your in a suite and you get an additional cruise credit from RCCL in there frequent cruiser club. Hope this helps I'm sure some one else can give you a better idea. Another thing we liked the ship so much were taking our grandson on the Rhapsody in April.

I also think it depends on the pricing. We love having the extra space of a JS, not to mention priority boarding and double C&A credits. But on a 12-day Northern Europe itinerary, the difference between the D-1 & JS is anywhere from $1500 to $1700pp, which is just too rich for my non-Lotto winning blood. Our pain threshold is somewhere around $100/day to make the upgrade worthwhile.

The D-1s on the Radiance Class ships are very nice cabins. We went into one on disembarkment day after the occupants had left (I am part cat - I must know these things!:D ). We thought it had plenty of room for 2 - the same size sofa as ours, a little less lounging area. The shower was small, but adequate. The closet was fine for us - the walkin in the JS was huge, double what we would ever need. Dresser drawers & such looked to be the same.

I think we would be perfectly happy in a D-1 for the kind of savings we'd see on a N. Europe trip. But that extra touch of luxury a JS gives you sure is nice.

Lots of posters here have travelled with 3-4 people in a D-1. I think you have to be creative about the use of the space, but they seem to make it work.

My family was on the Rhapsody during Spring Break last March. My husband and I stayed in a JS and loved it and our boys stayed in an inside cabin across the hall. It fact, we have booked Christmas 2005 on the Rhapsody (got the famous 8088!) and at first booked a D1, then started looking and thinking and changed it to a JS. The JS is larger with a larger balcony. Our teenage boys stay in a room across the hall but are over in our room a lot, so the extra space is nice. Plus the JS was a large t.v. which they enjoy. The bathroom is nicer with the bathtub, not only to soak and relax, but I also washed out some clothes. The vanity is larger around the sink and it has 2 medicine cabinets so more can be stored. Also, you get little things, like lotion, "buff", chap stick, etc. We enjoyed the balcony and are sold on the JS. We don't cruise often so we are willing to save up and get the JS and really feel spoiled! To us, it is more than more the extra money.

I have been told of a great website called Cruiseclues.com. Go to the ship you are interested in on the left hand column and it will take you to a site with a bunch of information including one about staterooms, that will tell you the sizes and the layout of the rooms. Good info about room, great pictures, and reviews. Hopes this helps. It has helped us recently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived