When do the kick you off in Amsterdam?

hylasgirl

Yes, my grandfather came from Sint-Niklass. I have visited there twice. I discovered the relatives by doing an internet search on my last name (Faems). This occurred in 1998. within two e-mails my second cousin invited my daughter (then aged 13) and me to visit. This was the first time that we had ever gone outside of the USA. We flew into Brussels and then went up to Sint_Niklass. The next day we went back to Brussels to visit the Great Market, Manikin Piss (Spelling?), a car museum and a drive by the Atonium. My then girl friend, now wife has never been so she is very anxious to 'meet the relatives' over there.

My dear relatives showed us a fabulous time visiting Antwerp, Brugge, Ghent and the north sea.

I returned for a weekend once about 6 years ago. Again a fabulous time.

I dearly love my wonderful relatives and the country of my heritage.

It will take FOREVER for the next year to go by.

Have you ever been to the USA? If so where? Anytime in the southeast (Alabama?)

Like the song says : it's a small world after all. I was born in a town, a few miles from Saint-Nicolas (Your relatives propably told you this town has the largest market square in whole Belgium). I even went to school there for a couple of years.

Your spelling was almost correct : the famous, funny and historic fountain in Brussels is "Manneken pis".

Besides JFK, San Juan and St. Thomas, I've never been in the US. My wife did though, she travelled from the East to the West coast, but that's already some years ago. In december we'll be in Miami for a couple of days, in between two cruises.

We are planning to travel to the USA in the future, the only problem is we became so addicted to cruising, whe just don't know when ! :)

Like the song says : it's a small world after all. I was born in a town' date=' a few miles from Saint-Nicolas (Your relatives propably told you this town has the largest market square in whole Belgium). I even went to school there for a couple of years.

Your spelling was almost correct : the famous, funny and historic fountain in Brussels is "Manneken pis".

Besides JFK, San Juan and St. Thomas, I've never been in the US. My wife did though, she travelled from the East to the West coast, but that's already some years ago. In december we'll be in Miami for a couple of days, in between two cruises.

We are planning to travel to the USA in the future, the only problem is we became so addicted to cruising, whe just don't know when ! :)[/quote']

My Grandmother was from near Antwerp.

Right now it is quite cheap for you to come to the US due to the Euro being so strong. You could fly into Orlando, do Disney and then go to one of 5 ports withing a 300 kilometers of Orlando.

I'm curious if you have a hotel recommendation for Amsterdam. Our main interest on the day we arrive (8 May 2009) is seeing the Anne Frank museum. After that possibly Van Gogh. We'll let my second cousin show us around after the cruise after that.

By the way our (my daughter and mine) trip to Belgium was a life changing experience. We spent most of that week going "Wow" especially when we first walked into the Grand Place. I think my daughter liked that best because I told her that if she could order a beer, she could have it (She could not tell her mother). There is a 400 year old bar there in the Grand Place and I was with her. Well we all ordered beer and she achieved her goal and was quite thrilled since you have to be 21 years old to do so here. She order a Kriek (spelling?) and I did not know both how strong beer is over there and how seriously you all take it. She had a few sips and became a little intoxicated when I cut her off. I thought she would not like beer but the Kriek is a cherry flavored beer and she did. Oops! I got it all on video too.

Should you be in the south-east USA such as Atlanta, we would be happy to show you around.

Larry

My Grandmother was from near Antwerp.

Right now it is quite cheap for you to come to the US due to the Euro being so strong. You could fly into Orlando, do Disney and then go to one of 5 ports withing a 300 kilometers of Orlando.

I'm curious if you have a hotel recommendation for Amsterdam. Our main interest on the day we arrive (8 May 2009) is seeing the Anne Frank museum. After that possibly Van Gogh. We'll let my second cousin show us around after the cruise after that.

By the way our (my daughter and mine) trip to Belgium was a life changing experience. We spent most of that week going "Wow" especially when we first walked into the Grand Place. I think my daughter liked that best because I told her that if she could order a beer, she could have it (She could not tell her mother). There is a 400 year old bar there in the Grand Place and I was with her. Well we all ordered beer and she achieved her goal and was quite thrilled since you have to be 21 years old to do so here. She order a Kriek (spelling?) and I did not know both how strong beer is over there and how seriously you all take it. She had a few sips and became a little intoxicated when I cut her off. I thought she would not like beer but the Kriek is a cherry flavored beer and she did. Oops! I got it all on video too.

Should you be in the south-east USA such as Atlanta, we would be happy to show you around.

Larry

Regarding the hotel recommendation in Amsterdam and the Anne Frank Museum, I think Ine can give you the best information, since she is from the Netherlands.

I heard good things about the Mövenpick Hotel and it's right next to the cruise terminal.

Belgium is a country of beers (we have more than 450) and Kriek, the cherry flavoured beer, is one of the most popular ones. And yes : Belgian beers are very dangerous for other nationalities, because they are much stronger than most regular beers.;)

Thanks for your offer, I'll keep it in mind ! We'll only have two days in Miami since we arrive per cruise in Miami and will go on another ship in Fort Lauderdale.

Regarding hotels in Amsterdam,. the choice is wide in all classes.

Easiest is indeed Movenpick Hotel which is at the cruise-terminal. From here there is a frequent tram into city-center.

If you plan to visit Ann Frank house, make reservations on-line. Lines can be very long. If you hold reservations, there is a special entrance to skip the lines. http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=1&setlanguage=2

Thanks for the hotel info.

Cote d'or, I understood that you were in Miami just for the two days. I meant if you ever had another trip here that was close to us then we would look into assisting you.

Meanwhile, with the high cost of gas here we are having a 'staycation' meaning we are staying home this week.

I'm curious of the cost of gas over there now. We are near $1 per liter (roughly .6 Euros). what is it costing over there?

Thanks for the hotel info.

Cote d'or, I understood that you were in Miami just for the two days. I meant if you ever had another trip here that was close to us then we would look into assisting you.

That's what I also understood from your answer, but I was answering on Miami and a future trip to the US at the same time, so I confused you. Sorry about that.... and thanks again !

Meanwhile, with the high cost of gas here we are having a 'staycation' meaning we are staying home this week.

I'm curious of the cost of gas over there now. We are near $1 per liter (roughly .6 Euros). what is it costing over there?

"Staycation"... that's a good one. never heard it before !

The gas prices here in Belgium .... are you sitting down ? :) We use 3 different types of fuel and these are the official prices at this moment :

- Diesel (most used) : 1,447 euro/ liter (= $ 10.20 / gallon)

- Eurosuper 95 : 1,58 euro/ liter (= $ 11.14 / gallon)

- Superplus 98 : 1,588 euro / liter (= $ 11,20 / gallon)

I'm driving a SUV : a Super Uneconomic Vehicle.:D

That's what I also understood from your answer' date=' but I was answering on Miami and a future trip to the US at the same time, so I confused you. Sorry about that.... and thanks again !

"Staycation"... that's a good one. never heard it before !

The gas prices here in Belgium .... are you sitting down ? :) We use 3 different types of fuel and these are the official prices at this moment :

- Diesel (most used) : 1,447 euro/ liter (= $ 10.20 / gallon)

- Eurosuper 95 : 1,58 euro/ liter (= $ 11.14 / gallon)

- Superplus 98 : 1,588 euro / liter (= $ 11,20 / gallon)

I'm driving a SUV : a Super Uneconomic Vehicle.:D[/quote']

All I can say is OUCH! We have a Mazda6 and a Miata (obviously) and they each get about 30 miles per gallon overall. I think that the way you guys measure is liters per 100 kilometers so that would be around 8 liters per 100 kilometers.

Ine, I will wave to you next Thursday from Schipol. We arrive at 7:30 am (direct flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth) for a weeks stay in your beautiful country. We are staying at the American Hotel. It is our first time to stay at this hotel. Previously we have stayed at Banks Mansion, the Renaissance, Hotel De l'Europe (what a beautiful hotel) and one other hotel on Herengracht that I can not recall the name of.

We are looking forward to cooler weather. It has been running near 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks here in South Texas.

Ine, I will wave to you next Thursday from Schipol. We arrive at 7:30 am (direct flight from Dallas/Ft. Worth) for a weeks stay in your beautiful country. We are staying at the American Hotel. It is our first time to stay at this hotel. Previously we have stayed at Banks Mansion, the Renaissance, Hotel De l'Europe (what a beautiful hotel) and one other hotel on Herengracht that I can not recall the name of.

We are looking forward to cooler weather. It has been running near 100 degrees for the past couple of weeks here in South Texas.

I donot think you will get 100 degrees here.

At the moment it is in he lower 70, which isnot bad for us. But not much sunshine and some rain, which makes it humid. The outlook for the coming days is more sunshine, temperatures more or less the same.

American Hotel -on Leidseplein- is a classic hotel, right in city-center. Front rooms might be noisy.

We're taking a river cruise which ends in Amsterdam this September. Perhaps Ine could help with a hotel recommendation for our post-cruise stay. We're thinking of the American Hotel which seems to be nice and central and quite close to the Rijks and Van Gogh Museums. But the Movenpick sounds convenient if river cruises also dock at the PTA. If we were to go with the American Hotel, is it easy enough to get there from the terminal and from there to the airport for our departing flight? By the way, I don't see too many reviews on European river cruises on the boards, or was I looking at the wrong places?

We're taking a river cruise which ends in Amsterdam this September. Perhaps Ine could help with a hotel recommendation for our post-cruise stay. We're thinking of the American Hotel which seems to be nice and central and quite close to the Rijks and Van Gogh Museums. But the Movenpick sounds convenient if river cruises also dock at the PTA. If we were to go with the American Hotel, is it easy enough to get there from the terminal and from there to the airport for our departing flight? By the way, I don't see too many reviews on European river cruises on the boards, or was I looking at the wrong places?

If you check the "river andcalcruise" section you will find some reviews of rivercruises. You will hear where the ship will dock 1 night before, it can be either west or east of Centraal Station. Only when no big cruiseships are in port the cruise-terminal is used by riverships.

Movenpick is right next to the terminal, but should your ship dock west of Centraal Station is not more convenient then any other hotel.

American is indeed very central, as are also Marriott and Barbizon centre Hotels. On the other hand nothing is really far apart, the city is rather compact. Close to Centraal Station are a.o. Barbizon Palace Hotel. Victoria, Renaissance Hotel.

Public transport is excellent, check the map on:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Networkmap.aspx

Ine, I'm curious about transportation from the Airport into the city center. While I'm sure I could take a cab, I've read prices of 75 Euros to do so. That seems pretty steep as the city isn't far at all from the Airport. I'm sure that there are trains but was worried about whether taking two large suitcases onto the train would either be forbidden or very difficult. What do the Dutch do?

Thanks so much for ALL your helpful answers to everyone.

Larry

Ine, I'm curious about transportation from the Airport into the city center. While I'm sure I could take a cab, I've read prices of 75 Euros to do so. That seems pretty steep as the city isn't far at all from the Airport. I'm sure that there are trains but was worried about whether taking two large suitcases onto the train would either be forbidden or very difficult. What do the Dutch do?

Thanks so much for ALL your helpful answers to everyone.

Larry

In general (depending on the traffic) a cabride to the city will costs around E. 40.- (but with the high fuelprices it might go up). Be sure you take the official cabs, not the ones offering their services in the terminal. Those cowboy-cabdrivers might be good, bot certainly not all.

There also is a busshuttleservice to many hotels (not to the cruiseterminal), check this site for more details.

http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

Youi can take 2 suitcases in the train, but storage is limited. Also you have to put it in/from the train yourself. Stay with it at all times and also be careful with your handluggage. In 1st class there is a little more space.

Of course after arriving at Centraal Station you might need onward transportation.

On the way back from the cruise-terminal I know cabdrivers overcharge unfortunately....

If you check the "river andcalcruise" section you will find some reviews of rivercruises. You will hear where the ship will dock 1 night before, it can be either west or east of Centraal Station. Only when no big cruiseships are in port the cruise-terminal is used by riverships.

Movenpick is right next to the terminal, but should your ship dock west of Centraal Station is not more convenient then any other hotel.

American is indeed very central, as are also Marriott and Barbizon centre Hotels. On the other hand nothing is really far apart, the city is rather compact. Close to Centraal Station are a.o. Barbizon Palace Hotel. Victoria, Renaissance Hotel.

Public transport is excellent, check the map on:

http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/maps/Pages/Networkmap.aspx

Many thanks, Ine, for your input on hotels and the link for public transport. I'm sure others on the boards would agree that you make an excellent good will ambassador for your country with all your kind efforts to help us.

Many thanks, Ine, for your input on hotels and the link for public transport. I'm sure others on the boards would agree that you make an excellent good will ambassador for your country with all your kind efforts to help us.

Thanks, glad to help you.

Note that the shuttles are not public transport, but a special service to/from many hotels to/from the airport.

In general (depending on the traffic) a cabride to the city will costs around E. 40.- (but with the high fuelprices it might go up). Be sure you take the official cabs, not the ones offering their services in the terminal. Those cowboy-cabdrivers might be good, bot certainly not all.

There also is a busshuttleservice to many hotels (not to the cruiseterminal), check this site for more details.

http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/home.asp

Youi can take 2 suitcases in the train, but storage is limited. Also you have to put it in/from the train yourself. Stay with it at all times and also be careful with your handluggage. In 1st class there is a little more space.

Of course after arriving at Centraal Station you might need onward transportation.

On the way back from the cruise-terminal I know cabdrivers overcharge unfortunately....

Sounds like it is doable to me. Any idea on the cost of train fair into the Central Station?

We all greatly appreciate all your help.

Larry

Sounds like it is doable to me. Any idea on the cost of train fair into the Central Station?

We all greatly appreciate all your help.

Larry

Oneway 2nd class E. 3.80 p.p. 1st class: E. 6.40.

Those prices are if you buy tickets in the machines, at the window there is a small surcharge.

About 4 - 6 trains to Centraal Station each hour, traveltime 20 minutes.

Some trains make a few mor stops then others.

Archived