R.C.C.L Respond To Immersion Crisis, Please

Another problem with the some of the posters here is that they would rather come off as supper-smug rather than sympathizing with an obvious issue for those effected!! Smug people make me wish I lived alone on a remote island!

I'm not quite sure what "supper-smug" is but hope it's not an eating disorder.

One thing for sure, you have choices of which cruise line you want to patronize. There would be sympathy, maybe, if there were only one ship....

There are plenty of remote islands in the world...many in the Caribbean and South Pacific. Have at it.... Now THAT would be an adventure. Of course, no American food, probably no English speakers......

Having vacation plans change--even radically--is hardly a "crisis". Especially when you're fortunate enough to be able to afford a $14,000 vacation in the first place. So, maybe, relax and count blessings? Be happy that this is the worst problem you're facing in your life?

Okay, have we put things in perspective now? Next it's time to face facts...all the complaining in the world probably won't change this situation. Money talks. Whomever is upset about even the POSSIBILITY of an immersion cruise should cancel it, and inform the cruise line why. If enough people do so, they will be forced to address the situation. And if they don't, take your money to a different cruise line.

Best of luck.

Now, why'd you go an add some reason and logic to this thread??? ARe you a trouble maker???? :p

Folks either bring good will to this thread or go home. There was no disrespect meant to anyone intended, I just want to know about my cruise. How can that be an issue??????????????????

Here is my story. I deal with 1000's of emails a week ( of course with a great spell check program-you can tell I'm awful speller) for Homeland Security, and I have made millions in bussniess, AND ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW MY CRUISE IS STRUCTURED! If anyone should have an issue with this feel free to call me at 215 233 0790 WOULD LOVE TO CHAT WITH YOU! If you want a pissing contest you have right person!!!

the conditions of sale, were the same as all other sales! What should i have expected? If you buy a ford for 6 years you expect the same in the 7th year, unless other wise informed!

And just what are those conditions. (you seem to keep implying that RCI has not lived up to their part of the contract)The only ones I recall are you having a cabin to sleep in, meals, although not specified as to what type or culture, some beverages, and transportation from port to port. There are no clauses regarding language, nationalities etc. Get off it already.

BTW things do change in makes of cars from year to year as well. Find someone else to blame for your fears, or as some have said, it is also your right to cancel if you wish.

Here is my story. I deal with 1000's of emails a week ( of course with a great spell check program-you can tell I'm awful speller) for Homeland Security, and I have made millions in bussniess, AND ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HOW MY CRUISE IS STRUCTURED! If anyone should have an issue with this feel free to call me at 215 233 0790 WOULD LOVE TO CHAT WITH YOU! If you want a pissing contest you have right person!!!

Since you are the one here who seems to be looking for a pissing match, why don't you contact RCI and speak to them about it. Then you can ask them all of these questions, since they are the provider here. Maybe you can convince them of how wrong they are, and they may indeed help you to find a solution to whatever your problem here seems to be. You can rant here all you wish but unfortunately none of us work for RCI so we will be of no help. all we have to offer may be opinions, or what ever, and in numerous cases you don't like what some people are telling you. Oh well!

Since you are the one here who seems to be looking for a pissing match, why don't you contact RCI and speak to them about it. Then you can ask them all of these questions, since they are the provider here. Maybe you can convince them of how wrong they are, and they may indeed help you to find a solution to whatever your problem here seems to be. You can rant here all you wish but unfortunately none of us work for RCI so we will be of no help. all we have to offer may be opinions, or what ever, and in numerous cases you don't like what some people are telling you. Oh well!

DONT YOU THINK I HAVE???

Do you really think that a change in menu warrants such over-reaction? A crisis? Really? There are a lot of people in the world going through real crisis....aren't you a bit embarrased over making a mountain out of a menu change?

Dog and Bone - Phone

Trouble and Strife - Wife

Boozer - Pub (also known as a Battle Cruiser)

Whistle and Flute - Suit

Two and Eight - State (not late)

Pony - 25 (quid in this case)

In Quebec our English has some variants that people aren't always ready for.... here's an example....

I left home to go to the dep and the SAQ. Unfortunately I was stopped by the SQ and didn't have my licence, so they gave me a warning and told me to go to the SAAQ to get a new one. At the dep, I couldn't find a parking spot, everything around needed a vignette and I didn't want to take a chance because there was a green onion right there. So I went to the SAQ only and then home to sit on the terrasse and get pissed until the kids got home from secondary 5 and CEGEP and joined me. They decided to bury my sorrows with a smoked meat sandwich and a poutine.

I assure you that if I called any of my friends this story, they would all understand exactly what I was talking about.

Im impressed with your knowledge of cockney slang, you lost me on your variants, If we are ever on the same Immersion cruise I will buy you a bevi or two. :D

Well sir I do feel sorry for the trouble you are going through but I think it unwise to put your phone number in a public forum. I suggest you remove it (if that is possible). Not everyone that reads these postings is well-meaning. I think perhaps going through the better business bureau might produce a more satisfying result than hoping the company reads this posting.

If you want a pissing contest you have right person!!!

Okay, I'm trying to learn all the correct usages of "pissing." Now you've gone and thrown a new one on me.

So if you are in a pissing contest (verb?) are you drunk or just mad? Or maybe two mad drunks fighting?

:D

Oh, please stop shouting in red!

We can tell you're upset.

Hopefully, RCCL's expected response will allay some of your fears.

Okay, I'm trying to learn all the correct usages of "pissing." Now you've gone and thrown a new one on me.

So if you are in a pissing contest (verb?) are you drunk or just mad? Or maybe two mad drunks fighting?

Pissing contest = a game of one-upmanship, usually fuelled by testosterone, and made worse by alcohol:rolleyes:

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

You mean, their paying customers, the ones without whom there would BE no RCI or stockholders? The people who paid for one product and are now being told the product has changed materially and they're just going to have to like it?

Let's say you've decided to renovate your house and redo all the floors in hardwood. You contracted with the company, chose the product, paid a deposit and then the week before installation, the company called and said, "We've decided hardwoods aren't profitable for us right now, so we've switched over to wood-laminate floors. We'll be installing a wood-laminate throughout your house next week, but wanted to let you know.

"What kind of wood-laminate floors? Who's the manufacturer? What's the color and will it match our previous order in quality and type?" You ask

"Well, we're not really sure, but it will surely be a nice brand and a very pretty color and many of our other customers love this stuff!! it'll be great. Just different! We'll also be expecting your final payment at that time. Kthxbye."

I mean, it's a business decision on their part, right? So it's all good?

Look, I'm not saying immersion cruises will be a bad thing uniformly. the issue here is the change from what was purchased--at a considerable expense--compared to what will be delivered. And NOT everyone will like it. I *do* think people have a right to be a bit nonplussed by the bait and switch here. They ABSOLUTELY have a right to question "a business decision" that changes the product they've already paid money for, prior to getting.

I think cruises out of the UK should require all passengers to speak in Cockney rhyming slang. Can you just imagine the Americans looking for the apples and pears?

Oh, lord; I'd have a better chance speaking French in Paris. And I don't speak French. :D

Can't resist, hope it raises a chuckle anyway..

You can have a pissing (noun) contest, which could be alternatively described as a pathetic contest.. or you can have a pissing (verb) contest - normally undertaken by uncouth lads.. in which they pee against a wall together and see who can pee the highest without holding on.. :rolleyes:

Both RCL and Princess run cruises that are 14 days long for the British in the Caribbean because they sell better than the shorter 7 day cruises.

If we are going to fly to the Caribbean, its better to go for 14 days due to jet lag, travel time etc... we get the holidays to do this after all. For shorter 7 day holidays the British are more likely to stay this side of the pond. Most Brits do try to get in a two week holiday, but sometimes have other commitments and can only make a week instead.. :)

The only thing I can think of is its use as a "lady garden" or another description of a ladies "bits" (to be polite) :) If anyone has any more would love to know! :D

Oh my! :eek: My mind never went there...and I practically live in the gutter! ;)

You hit the nail on the head:D You actually understand our problem. Your analogy was perfect. I'm trying to go on this cruise with an open mind and I certainly hope we have fun, for us this is a once in a lifetime trip and we've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Hopefully we'll finally get some answers today from rc about whats going on.

I think this has more to do with what was expected when the cruise was booked. If you are booking a vacation with an American company and no notation has been made at the time of booking that your cruise experience will be any different than any other RCCL cruise, then they are creating a situation that is not the best for those involved.

It is one thing to know ahead of time and you can DECIDE whether or not you want to take on this experience, and quite another to have it changed on you so late in the game.

Yes - people cruise to enjoy new cultures, etc. But if you are booking with a company that is American based, you come to expect the traditional RCCL cruise. Now, if I were flying into another country to hop on another company's ship, like P & O or any of those - then I can fully expect that I would be the minority and need to cope with the foreign experience onboard.

Again - I think most people are just plain upset because it was done after the fact.

Not to disapoint you in any way, however RCCL is not an american company. It was formed by 3 Norwiegian companies, and is incorporated in Liberia. They have less than 20% American Employees. I guess one could say that most of their cruises on RCCL probably have been "American Immersion" cruises, as probably the majority of its pax have been American, or even English speaking. Why is it so wrong now that if the majority of the pax are from different countries embarking from international ports, that RCCL should not cater to them as well. I think we as Americans are like spoiled little kids at times, and most are against change, or at least afraid of it. IMO it is foolish to think RCCL should be made to just accomadate us yanks. At least they have had some compassion to at least notify pax on sailings as to what is going on. If someone wants to cancel, that is their business. Again IMO, RCCL did not have to do anything.

Hello all

I have read with great interest this thread and the merged 'immersion threads' posted.

I am from the UK and will be on a so called 'immersion' cruise, in August. I am probably going to get bashed here, but I then I have read a lot of nasty comments so far, so am ready:D Two sayings spring to mind:

When in Rome - do as the Romans

For me personally, if I travel to another country, cruise or not, I expect there to be cultural changes, different food, (sometimes weird and not to my taste) and language differences. What do I do? - I just make the best of it and enjoy a change from being at home - that is what holidays are all about.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

and the word 'immersion' has caused untold upset on these boards - I just wonder if nothing had been said or gleaned from RCI, whether anyone (US/Canadian or other nationalities) would really have noticed much of a difference on a cruise from the UK?

Lots of people have said there are some slight food and entertainment differences, but it doesn't sound that awful does it??

Also, I love the phrase 'pissing contest' - that sounds so rude coming from the UK - conjures all sorts of visions of urinals. Another one for ya - pissing down - that means it is raining very hard - and that happens a lot here too!

Archived