R.C.C.L Respond To Immersion Crisis, Please

nice reply, but did you understand the cockney slang? :D

Dog and Bone - Phone

Trouble and Strife - Wife

Boozer - Pub (also known as a Battle Cruiser)

Whistle and Flute - Suit

Two and Eight - State (not late)

Pony - 25 (quid in this case)

In Quebec our English has some variants that people aren't always ready for.... here's an example....

I left home to go to the dep and the SAQ. Unfortunately I was stopped by the SQ and didn't have my licence, so they gave me a warning and told me to go to the SAAQ to get a new one. At the dep, I couldn't find a parking spot, everything around needed a vignette and I didn't want to take a chance because there was a green onion right there. So I went to the SAQ only and then home to sit on the terrasse and get pissed until the kids got home from secondary 5 and CEGEP and joined me. They decided to bury my sorrows with a smoked meat sandwich and a poutine.

I assure you that if I called any of my friends this story, they would all understand exactly what I was talking about.

Dog and Bone - Phone

Whistle and Flute - Suit

In Quebec our English has some variants that people aren't always ready for.... here's an example....

I left home to go to the dep and the SAQ. Unfortunately I was stopped by the SQ and didn't have my licence, so they gave me a warning and told me to go to the SAAQ to get a new one. At the dep, I couldn't find a parking spot, everything around needed a vignette and I didn't want to take a chance because there was a green onion right there. So I went to the SAQ only and then home to sit on the terrasse and get pissed until the kids got home from secondary 5 and CEGEP and joined me. They decided to bury my sorrows with a smoked meat sandwich and a poutine.

I assure you that if I called any of my friends this story, they would all understand exactly what I was talking about.

LOL:) Please, don't stop..........good stuff!

*raising hand* I know that "pissed" to you is drunk. To us it means "angry". When my Brit friend told me she got pissed one night I asked her what she was mad at. We both had good laugh at that.

*raising hand* I know that "pissed" to you is drunk. To us it means "angry". When my Brit friend told me she got pissed one night I asked her what she was mad at. We both had good laugh at that.

..and she did not get "pissed" with you, or maybe she did?:cool:

Hi. Just a heads up to let you know that I've talked with Lisa Bauer, hotel operations chief for Royal Caribbean, and am waiting on info she's sending over -- then we'll post our update. Sorry for the delay...just waiting on Royal Caribbean to send over the key stuff that will make it all make sense.

Stay tuned; look for it first thing tomorrow, I'm guessing.

And the line's executives are quite aware it's an issue....

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Is there any chance that they might also respond to the "coupon" thread? Thanks.

Crisis?? HUH??

What crisis?

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

Believe me' date=' they don't. RCCL owes no explanation of their marketing strategy to you or anyone else.... They answer only to their stockholders on these decisions.

There isn't any crisis here....if you want an American experience all the time......stay in the U.S. and go to a State Park.[/quote']

This is a CRAP statement! They can make any changes they want... BUT, it is bad business to do it AFTER people have paid for a certain product. And before everyone gets on their high horse about culture... and being open to that... and how could this possibly ruin anything. ONE of THEE reasons I book European cruises is so I can experience a LEVEL of culture. And I think these people who are upset about the immersion thing are with me here. It has nothing to do with me being an arrogant American... I am not... I am a big Liberal... and I love experiencing different cultures. BUT... I do like to come back to a ship at the end of the day and experience things that are familiar too. If I wanted to be immersed, I would have booked a land tour and saved a BUTT load of money. I could see a few key sites for a lot less money.

They should stick to the product they sold to us in the first place... especially when it comes with such a high price tag. When the new sailings come out... or even before final payments are due... that is when they should make the changes.

See? It's things like this typical American arrogance that makes other countries hate us.

You are in FOREIGN port, in a FOREIGN country. The RULES belong to RCCL and not yours.

If you can't deal with immersion, then I suggest you stick to what you are use to and not expand your horizons. The cruise line DOES NOT cater to you.

See? It's things like this typical American arrogance that makes other countries hate us.

You are in FOREIGN port, in a FOREIGN country. The RULES belong to RCCL and not yours.

If you can't deal with immersion, then I suggest you stick to what you are use to and not expand your horizons. The cruise line DOES NOT cater to you.

What are you smoking? "The cruise line does not cater to you?" WHAT?! The cruise line is in business to cater to its customers . . . that would be me, Donald Duck, Speedy Gonzalez, DragonballZ, caricatures of Vladimir Putin, Pepe Lepue, Thumbelina, or any other international personality. You get my point. I would venture a guess from the signatures of most people on this board that they are all generally good customers of the cruise line . . . and their opinion certainly counts for something.

There's no arrogance in this thread. People would be happy to get immersed if they knew that's what they were buying from the get go. People really need to stop making this out to be more than it is . . . its people annoyed with a company they patronise, as its customer. Everyone seems way to quick to blame arrogant Americans, xenophobia, etc., when it has nothing to do with any of these.

What would I expect?

Slightly different food options. Proper bacon at breakfast, possibly more roast & veg options at mealtimes. I would be amazed if the menus differed other than very slightly.

Tea. Proper tea. I would be really disappointed if we had the crappy Lipton's tea. However on Jewel in Sept this was the case, on Legend 2 years ago we had Tetley. A good choice of tea please

UK beer - hopefully a chance to have one or two proper ales on board.

UK themed entertainment. There may be a UK comedian or two on board. There may also be someone of one of the umpteen talent shows we have to endure - but I would expect this should suit all tastes anyway. Perhaps one of the shows will be UK themed - maybe a Beatles tribute or something.

-

Just got off the Legend... we had "proper bacon" as you call it and a UK tribute show....and they had a high tea (which I did not attend as I dislike tea very much)

HOWEVER...

If I have to drink crappy Non-Italian wine on my Italian cruise, you don't get proper tea... it isn't fair :cool:

"Typical American arrogance"?

Wow.

Even though I agree with the sentiment of the immersion statement, you take more than a few liberties swathing the whole lot of us with your American self-loathing.

Perhaps in the future you should address the post instead of painting your fellow citizens with a very broad brush.

Dog and Bone - Phone

Whistle and Flute - Suit

One more:

"Pony" can have another meaning -

Pony and trap = c**p - a rude word meaning rubbish, as in "It was pony".

Another problem with the some of the posters here is that they would rather come off as supper-smug rather than sympathizing with an obvious issue for those effected!! Smug people make me wish I lived alone on a remote island!

Smug and snobby people on a CRUISING board?? I am shocked!! :D (Fortunately I think the person(s) you directed this comment at are on my long ignore list:) )

I completely agree with you, for what it's worth. Of course, apparently I am a bigotted American who hates all other cultures, so there you have it. :p

Right back at you. It was not a person attack.

Huh.. you could obviously tell what they were attempting to spell, yet you had to point it out more than once. Does it make you feel better about yourself when you correct others?

I think the reference to house rules was probably aimed at the fact that you seemed to be picking on the OP's spelling.

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought was inappropriate.

I will chalk up your comments to an emotional moment!

The facts are, I'm from North America, I purchased my cruise from an essentially North American vendor, I have used this vendor for many of my purchases, my cruise departs a English speaking country, the product is well known to many, the product i bought came with no unusual disclaimers or notices, I welcome inclusion, i love Europe and it's many cultures and values, I am only concerned with the conditions of sale not changing after my purchase. Sorry.......have I treaded upon your confused sensibilities?

i agree with you, allison.

i always though DW and i were discerning?!?

i didn't know i was such a bigoted, culture hating, xenophobic, prejudiced, foolish, simpleton until i canceled our newly announced southern caribbean immersion cruise that we booked months ago and changed air and hotel reservations at considerable cost...oh, the cost of being a discriminating jerk. woe is me.

I will chalk up your comments to an emotional moment!

The facts are, I'm from North America, I purchased my cruise from an essentially North American vendor, I have used this vendor for many of my purchases, my cruise departs a English speaking country, the product is well known to many, the product i bought came with no unusual disclaimers or notices, I welcome inclusion, i love Europe and it's many cultures and values, I am only concerned with the conditions of sale not changing after my purchase. Sorry.......have I treaded upon your confused sensibilities?

Sorry, but I fail to see just what conditions of the sale you are talking about. Where in YOUR cruise contract or any other for that matter does it say that everything is supposed to be American, or resemble an american cruise and culture.??

Does any know if the dining times are going to change on Independence now that it is classified as a "British Immersion" cruise? Several threads mention them changing for the Asian Immersion cruises and I was just wondering about Independence.

I understand RCCL is in business to make money and fill their ships but personally I don't think they handled this very properly. They could have at least informed people of exactly what the changes would be in more depth and cleared the air on several rumors floating around. Instead they prefer to have the rumors run wild. Poor business marketing on their part.

i agree with you, allison.

i always though DW and i were discerning?!?

i didn't know i was such a bigoted, culture hating, xenophobic, prejudiced, foolish, simpleton until i canceled our newly announced southern caribbean immersion cruise that we booked months ago and changed air and hotel reservations at considerable cost...oh, the cost of being a discriminating jerk. woe is me.

trying to reason with people who resort to those kind of pathetic insults is like playing handball with an orange. you try to keep it going for a while, but eventually you just have to let it fall -- THUD -- and move on. it's quite an entertaining game to watch, though. :D

Just to be awkard, to us Brit's its both - if you GET pissed (verb) you go and get drunk, if you ARE (noun) pissed, you can be either drunk or angry.. but you can only be pissed AT something and be angry, bit not drunk, or pissed OFF, which is annoyed, but not drunk. :D

Just to be awkard, to us Brit's its both - if you GET pissed (verb) you go and get drunk, if you ARE (noun) pissed, you can be either drunk or angry.. but you can only be pissed AT something and be angry, bit not drunk, or pissed OFF, which is annoyed, but not drunk.

LOL Love it,,,as a Canadian I understood every word. Living here in Florida, my coworkers just don't understand me!

while many Americans taken 7 day vacations it's unusual for th British to take such short holidays.

Sorry but I must disagree, It is not unusual for the British to take 7 day holidays however some of us also take 14 day holidays

( often in summer ). The majority of people where I work take 7 days holiday at a time.

Also, you said you come from a small country, now I am confused how can you call Canada small compared to the Uk :D

Sorry but I must disagree, It is not unusual for the British to take 7 day holidays however some of us also take 14 day holidays

( often in summer ). The majority of people where I work take 7 days holiday at a time.

Also, you said you come from a small country, now I am confused how can you call Canada small compared to the Uk :D

Both RCL and Princess run cruises that are 14 days long for the British in the Caribbean because they sell better than the shorter 7 day cruises.

Canada is small in population, not in geographical size. 90% of the population lives in a strip that is about 150km from our neighbour to the south.

Sorry, but I fail to see just what conditions of the sale you are talking about. Where in YOUR cruise contract or any other for that matter does it say that everything is supposed to be American, or resemble an american cruise and culture.??

the conditions of sale, were the same as all other sales! What should i have expected? If you buy a ford for 6 years you expect the same in the 7th year, unless other wise informed!

You clearly are misinformed how business functions! If your business depends,welcomes, thrives on repeat business and you break that trust with your client(s) then you had better discuss it; unless of course your business has no competing vendors!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, you may be surprised to hear that Americans aren't the only ones who cruise..... If you don't like the policy, you, being an American, have the choice to cancel any upcoming cruises and never patronize this cruise line again.

Folks who are fearful about these cruises are in the minority and their business won't be missed should they decide to change cruise companies. Most of us clearly enjoy the experiences of meeting different people, experiencing different environments.

The WORLD is the market, not just the USA. Of the over 6 BILLION people in the world, America is in the minority with a little over 380 million. The world does not revolve around us.....

Archived