R.C.C.L Respond To Immersion Crisis, Please

Well, here are a few tips for you to allay some of your fears:

1. Many UK residents speak English.

2. There are some differences in cuisine, but it will certainly not feel totally forging (sic).

3. Smoking restrictions are quite strict in the UK, as well, so I doubt there'll be much difference there.

4. Euros are almost as good as money.

5. Dining times may be a little different, but you'll also be several time zones away from home, so it won't likely be anywhere near your 'normal' dining time anyway. You'll adjust.

6. You may notice an extra 'u' here in there in words like colour and humour. Don't worry. They mean the same thing as the words you're used to w/o the extra letters.

7. If someone asks you where the 'lifts' are, they mean the elevators.

I'm sure others could add their own bits of advice, as well.

Edit: I'm thinking you were talking about the Southampton cruises, but if not, this, of course, is not much help. :o

I got quite a laugh out of your first point there - about people from the UK speaking English. I'm American and have a good friend who is English. We have a lot of fun teasing each other about our respective languages. I've also learned the proper usage for words like "garden".

Crisis?? HUH??

What crisis?

Do you really think RCCL has to discuss their business decisions with the passengers?

Believe me' date=' they don't. RCCL owes no explanation of their marketing strategy to you or anyone else.... They answer only to their stockholders on these decisions.

There isn't any crisis here....if you want an American experience all the time......stay in the U.S. and go to a State Park.[/quote']

You clearly are misinformed how business functions! If your business depends,welcomes, thrives on repeat business and you break that trust with your client(s) then you had better discuss it; unless of course your business has no competing vendors!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, here are a few tips for you to allay some of your fears:

1. Many UK residents speak English.

2. There are some differences in cuisine, but it will certainly not feel totally forging (sic).

3. Smoking restrictions are quite strict in the UK, as well, so I doubt there'll be much difference there.

4. Euros are almost as good as money.

5. Dining times may be a little different, but you'll also be several time zones away from home, so it won't likely be anywhere near your 'normal' dining time anyway. You'll adjust.

6. You may notice an extra 'u' here in there in words like colour and humour. Don't worry. They mean the same thing as the words you're used to w/o the extra letters.

7. If someone asks you where the 'lifts' are, they mean the elevators.

I'm sure others could add their own bits of advice, as well.

Edit: I'm thinking you were talking about the Southampton cruises, but if not, this, of course, is not much help. :o

makingold,

if the above is true on my cruise i'd be thrilled!! i'm going on the info. given out, by rccl, about our cruise and our cruise only! oh, and thanks for letimg me know that most english folks speak english, i would never have guessed!!!

Another problem with the some of the posters here is that they would rather come off as supper-smug rather than sympathizing with an obvious issue for those effected!! Smug people make me wish I lived alone on a remote island!

Having vacation plans change--even radically--is hardly a "crisis". Especially when you're fortunate enough to be able to afford a $14,000 vacation in the first place. So, maybe, relax and count blessings? Be happy that this is the worst problem you're facing in your life?

Okay, have we put things in perspective now? Next it's time to face facts...all the complaining in the world probably won't change this situation. Money talks. Whomever is upset about even the POSSIBILITY of an immersion cruise should cancel it, and inform the cruise line why. If enough people do so, they will be forced to address the situation. And if they don't, take your money to a different cruise line.

Best of luck.

While I must agree with most who say it is what it is... I can't imagine it's going to be really all that awful. The cruise line isn't stupid.

But I don't agree with the way RCCL is handling it. It's like you wake up one day and suddenly your long-awaited vacation has changed. And it doesn't sound very well planned out when one calls C&A or whomever with questions and the answers are pretty varied. I think RCCL really should have their ducks in a row so that everyone knows the same answer to every question that anyone could ask. That could alleviate fears and concerns.

It's kind of like that fuel charge. Everyone knew it was coming. Then BLAM one morning you woke up and it was there and no one was happy about it! We weren't gently smoothed into it. This is kind of the same thing.

The bottom line: People are resistant to change. Will this be for the better? We'll probably have to wait for those who take their first "immersion" cruises to come back and let us know. If it turns out Americans hate cruising on ships with British or Asian influence, then they won't spend their hard earned dollars to fly over there to get on them on anymore and stay closer to home. The ball will then be in the cruise line's court to decide if they want to make changes. But they wouldn't be forward thinking if they didn't try experimenting.

Just my 2 cents/pesos/yen/euros

Multiple threads on a cruise message board is not going to get you anywhere. A calm, concise letter to the executive offices of RCL would be more productive.

Done, over the past weekend & email!

I think cruises out of the UK should require all passengers to speak in Cockney rhyming slang. Can you just imagine the Americans looking for the apples and pears?

So this about Americans now? OMG! :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

makingold,

if the above is true on my cruise i'd be thrilled!! i'm going on the info. given out, by rccl, about our cruise and our cruise only! oh, and thanks for letimg me know that most english folks speak english, i would never have guessed!!!

You're welcome. And I hope you don't think of me as supper-smug. (Or tea-smug, as they might say in the UK.)

So this about Americans now? OMG! :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Who's complaining then? I have never complained about the fact that prices aren't in CAD. That the food isn't Canadian. That the daily schedule can't spell.

I have complained about the fact that they can't manage to put the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. To that I will admit. I think that's common courtesy, since of the 192 countries on earth, 189 use metric. (Though the count of countries on earth can vary at any time.)

I've been to many different countries. If you want, you can see my map at TripAdvisor. You can clearly see that I have travelled to many countries and I don't speak most of those languages or expect to use my currency in any of them. I've even ordered from foreign menus with no English explanation. I just think it's part of the fun of travel to immerse myself in another culture, for whatever time I am there. You know, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I've been selling RCCL for over 30 years and have never heard the term "Immersion Cruise" nor do I have anything in writing that says they are doing that. I did write to my rep and she is researching it for me and promises to get back to me asap.

Think about this...the shoe is on the other foot. Do you know how many people I have met over the years sailing throughout Europe who had to put up with all of us American's always having everything in English? I think the world is shrinking and this is a sign of the times. The dollar is weak and they have the money to spend so why should the cruise lines turn them away? I wish I could figure a way to get a piece of the business. LOL!!!

I agree, the customer should know before they book (That is how other cruise lines handle it) and they can decide if they want to go. It wouldn't stop me from going because it would be part of the adventure, but I would want to know BEFORE I went.

Its all very well people saying Immersion cruises arent so bad and why are people making such a fuss. Have these people actually tried it for themselves?.

We are from the UK. Weve just got off the Navigator which sailed from Barcelona. Lets just say I was glad to get off the ship for some peace and quiet.The large groups of Spanish were very loud and obviously not used to queuing as when there was a line of people they just pushed in at the front.

They were in large family groups and all talking and shouting at once which is why I guess all the ships anouncements were so loud so that they could hear them. Every announcement was said in English, Spanish, Portugese, French, Italian and German. It just got on your nerves having all announcements said 6 times over..We met people from several different countries and they were finding it all a bit much. I have nothing against the Spanish its just that any large group of another culture definately does change your usual cruise.If I had read this from someone elses post 2 weeks ago I probably would have thought this sounded quite pathetic but after experiancing it for myself, I realise how it can affect your cruise.It wasnt a horrible cruise but not a superb cruise either.

Of course when you visit a country it is nice to experiance other cultures but a lot of people including me like to be able to return to the ship and be in our comfort zone of what we are used to. Thats why we cruise American Cruiselines as we enjoy what they offer. I certainly will be carefull where we cruise from in the future as immersion cruises are not for us. Im not saying they are wrong but just not for us. If we are paying a lot of our hard earned money for a cruise I believe we should be able to have the choice by knowing what sort of cruise it will be at time of booking.

Sarah

Who's complaining then? I have never complained about the fact that prices aren't in CAD. That the food isn't Canadian. That the daily schedule can't spell.

I have complained about the fact that they can't manage to put the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. To that I will admit. I think that's common courtesy, since of the 192 countries on earth, 189 use metric. (Though the count of countries on earth can vary at any time.)

I've been to many different countries. If you want, you can see my map at TripAdvisor. You can clearly see that I have travelled to many countries and I don't speak most of those languages or expect to use my currency in any of them. I've even ordered from foreign menus with no English explanation. I just think it's part of the fun of travel to immerse myself in another culture, for whatever time I am there. You know, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

I agree with just about all you have posted! We have also been prtety much around the world and loved all( almost) all of it. The issue here is that what I paid for is not what I'm getting. In China I knew what to expect! Japan as well! South America and Aust. and New Zealand!! This is not a issue of cultures, is about making a purchase in good faith and expecting the same from my vendor!

I'd like to see a thread just for the folks who are being hit with this NOW on already booked cruises with air that can't be changed. Everyone else is just chatting--the others are the ones who are having their vacation modified without proper notice or recourse--or a straight answer...

The rest of us can make our decisions as time goes on but the ones stuck now shoulk have the right to call upo the cruise line to give them info or their money & airfare back!

I'd like to see a thread just for the folks who are being hit with this NOW on already booked cruises with air that can't be changed. Everyone else is just chatting--the others are the ones who are having their vacation modified without proper notice or recourse--or a straight answer...

The rest of us can make our decisions as time goes on but the ones stuck now shoulk have the right to call upo the cruise line to give them info or their money & airfare back!

Hcat...thank you for not missing the point! Some folks posting have agendas which have nothing to do with cruising or travel! Given the slightest cause, the ugliness is pressed out of a few folks, like liquid from a grape

:eek: What!!??!! They're trying to make the cruises from the UK appeal to UK cruisers??? How dare they! :mad:

LOL LOL LOL!!! THANK YOU FOR BRINGING CLARITY TO THIS "CRISIS"...LOL!!!

It is evident that there will be more UK cruisers onboard this summer...cruising from the UK...thanks to a very strong Euro. UK cruisers have been swarming onboard RCI ships for the past few years. I would not be too concerned about the immersion thing...after all...cruising and crossing were very nice back when Cunard ruled the waves. A lot of us have very fond memories of ships run by Brits. I think many of you are making too much of this...it will still be RCI. So...you will be having bangers for breakfast...big deal. You will have a great time...stop worrying about it.

1) Do you really think that they will change the entire staff and run examinations to ensure that they can't speak English? English will be the SECOND language on the ship, just not the first.

2) Excursions will be offered in English as long as there are enough customers asking for English.

3) Totally foreign food? So you think that the Spanish eat daisies, hay and hard boiled seaweed? No one has said that. Most food is international in nature and while they may add a few local dishes, there should be plenty to eat.

3) (Again, look above, it's not my fault!) This is a crisis? People are dying every day in wars all over the earth and this is a crisis?

4) Yup, all comedy in a foreign language, only foreign language music as well. You aren't even allowed to sit in the theatre if you are American-English speaking. Flamenco dancers dancing to Spanish music.. the horror, it would be better if they did Flamenco to Madonna songs from the 80s. (Sarcasm is definitely implied)

5) What REAL difference does the currency onboard make? If it's USD 8 or EUR 5 there is no real difference, other than the fact that some people don't know how to use a calculator and certainly can't manage to type 8 USD in EUR in google. Hey, maybe the world should switch to using USD everywhere just to make it easier for American tourists.

7) So, it was okay when the Spanish had to eat early to accommodate you, but not acceptable when you have to eat later to accommodate them?

This isn't a crisis at all. This is just another hysteric thread beating a dead horse.

I agree with almost all your points. They make sense. If they are the conditions under which we sail I will be very happy. However, this did not come from rccl corp! What has come from corp. is confusing and scary! Who should we believe. Trust me I have many beter things to do than beat a dead horse! Heck, I was a huge fan of rccl for all but the last week!

I could care less if I'm in the minority!!!! I just want to be able to particpate!!!! Find food I like. Enjoy the entertainment..etc.....you know....like I'm on a cruise!!

I read on our roll call that the Vision of the Seas Panama Canal repo cruise (1-4-09) is an immersion cruise. I certainly don't want 14 days of entertainment that I can't understand the language. I booked it a year in advance, our hotel and flights are paid and non-refundable for 4 people.:confused: I can pick up a few words of Spanish but that's all.:(

I agree with almost all your points. They make sense. If they are the conditions under which we sail I will be very happy. However, this did not come from rccl corp! What has come from corp. is confusing and scary! Who should we believe. Trust me I have many beter things to do than beat a dead horse! Heck, I was a huge fan of rccl for all but the last week!

That's what I was saying about Diffusion theory. The right way to do things is to educate first and then do. But that's not a reality in most cases. Governments forget to do this all the time. It's incredible how effective it can be when it's done right. That's the difference between a good teacher and a bad teacher.

I walk into teach and the first thing that I do is tell students who I am and my credentials. I then set up the daily schedule so there are no misunderstanding about the schedule, the timing, the agenda, the goals and the expectations. Only after that is done do I proceed to actually teach.

The same is true when you need to make a change, be it corporation or government. You publish it. You explain it. You allay fears and then you implement. But that isn't always viable. Sometimes you have to act and you just don't have the time to ensure everyone knows or understands. That's the situation in most corporations. It's unfortunate, but reality.

Last year when we boarded a cruise from Barcelona the staff just wasn't prepared for a Spanish crowd who didn't always understand everything. We don't really think much about an elevator, having seen them most of our lives. And yet there were people who had never seen one who got on the cruise and just stood in the elevator going up and down. It's odd when you walk into an elevator at the bottom floor and there are people standing in the elevator and not moving and no buttons pushed. I pushed my floor and when I got there I departed, leaving them in an elevator with no buttons pushed....

I learnt a long time ago to not assume. I had a roommate who went to a hardware store in Israel to get a copy of a key made. He never asked anyone but just assumed it was at the hardware store. When he finally did ask they told him to go see the shoe repair person at the supermarket. Different cultures, different traditions. I'm up to try almost anything, once. Life is never enhanced by saying no.... only by saying yes.

That's the real problem. Will we be able to understand the entertainment?? This Jewel cruise is 13 nights and cost a pretty penny. To everyone who says "just cancel" we can't, our final payment was due April 18 and now we find out about this immersion.

If rccl could just give us the correct information I might feel better.

I'm sorry if some people don't understand but we have planned this a long time, spent a lot of money and I don't feel like we should "make the best of it" or "it won't be that bad, your going to a different country you should ecxpect this" we didn't expect this when we booked.

If you leave from England , yo will probably see some English "items" on the menus and in the Windjammer.....but its HARDLY a crisis.

They speak English, they read English...therefore i would not think of yours as an Immersion cruise.

Question to OP...if your business is partly European based, Asia, China etc.. when you go there to conduct business, do they change things for you? Their culture, food, business habits do not change, you adjust as you are there.

Seems like a large concern over something that will be English anyway....

JMHO

Archived