simon and seafort's restaurant

cruisinmama0

Has anyone eaten at this place? I heard it was good, but is it too touristy?

I can't answer your question from a position of experience, but because I have seen many recommendations on this board I went ahead and made a reservation. It's conveniently located downtown if that's where you are staying. I don't get the impression it's touristy, although I'm sure there are plenty of "out of towners" in the summer. It certainly looks nice and has a good looking menu. However, it ain't cheap. :D

http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/

We ate there last June and it was our favorite restaurant of all. The food is absolutely fantastic - and no, I wouldn't call it touristy. It is very expensive however - but definitely worth it.

We ate there last week and it was great! It is crowded, not a tourist trap, although I am sure many of the people were visitors. Being a Sunday night, in May, we assumed that it wouldn't be crowded and didn't make reservations. Wrong. But the wait wasn't too long, maybe a half hour. It should be even better very soon when the salmon season begins.

S&S was our second favorite, the best was the Stowaway Cafe in Skagway, just next to the cruise ships. S&S isalmost as good as the Stowaway Cafe, it's just that the Stowaway is a 7 table restaurant and a little quainter. I think in high season you might need reservations there. You would have needed them at 7pm last week. And the best dive is the Burger Queen in Ketchikan on Water Street, just past the tunnel. Burgers are supposed to be great, but I can get a burger at home. We got the Halibut burgers, which were fantastic and the milkshakes were just as good!

we just ate there last week. it was busy, but not touristy, and the food was outstanding. we also had 1 dinner and lunch at the Brewhouse, which is not quite as pricey and also very very good. I highly recommend Simon and Seaforts. It was well worth the money. I understand it gets booked up quickly and that you should make reservations in advance of your trip.

Unlike some towns you will visit in Alaska where some restaurants close down for the winter, most of Anchorage's are open. There is no way a restaurant downtown Anchorage could survive year round on just tourists. Simon and Seaforts is a favorite with visitors, but the locals recommend it to visitors because it's a favorite with locals. On a Friday or Saturday in the winter, you can forget about getting in without reservations.

We are arriving in Anchorage early enough to have a reservation for 5:30 at S&S. There is a special for $25 per person for a 3 course dinner. I made the reservation online with open table. I believe the special is available from 5-6. I'm glad to hear that the food is supposed to be good.

Good? It is great! Simon and Seaforts is a fine place!

We save this place for the most important family celebrations! A rare event for us to spash out that much for a meal. Thanks for the tip about the early hour pricing.

We had dinner in the bar area as the view is spectacular. I did not think it was touristy. The crab cakes were to die for. We would go back again anytime! We walked from the Hilton and it was totally enjoyable.

Funny little story about about Simon & Seaforts. We celebrated our 25th at S&S in 2005...did reservations, the whole nine yards. Anyway, we had driven from Talkeetna and spent the afternoon at the Native Heritage Center Museum. We had the "typical" Alaska casual attire on that day....jeans and long sleeve T's. My wife and I were being overly lazy (we were at the end of our pre-cruise land adventure) and didn't really want to drag out "nice" clothes for our special evening. Long story short....she called S&S to inquire about their dress code. After the lady stopped giggling, she let us know (in a very charming way), that as long as we didn't show up naked, we'd be just fine.

We had a great evening. My wife's cousin (and her husband) live in Anchorage and they had called S&S to let them know we were celebrating our 25th. Our table was covered with rose petals....and the food was spectacular too!

Lesson learned....it's impossible to under dress in Alaska. My kinda place!

Andy

Funny little story about about Simon & Seaforts. We celebrated our 25th at S&S in 2005...did reservations, the whole nine yards. Anyway, we had driven from Talkeetna and spent the afternoon at the Native Heritage Center Museum. We had the "typical" Alaska casual attire on that day....jeans and long sleeve T's. My wife and I were being overly lazy (we were at the end of our pre-cruise land adventure) and didn't really want to drag out "nice" clothes for our special evening. Long story short....she called S&S to inquire about their dress code. After the lady stopped giggling, she let us know (in a very charming way), that as long as we didn't show up naked, we'd be just fine.

We had a great evening. My wife's cousin (and her husband) live in Anchorage and they had called S&S to let them know we were celebrating our 25th. Our table was covered with rose petals....and the food was spectacular too!

Lesson learned....it's impossible to under dress in Alaska. My kinda place!

Andy

On the Princess forum, whenever there's a thread about formal attire, and someone says, "You dress the way you would for a wedding at home, or at the best restaurant at home," I have to smile. Obviously, they don't live in Alaska, where (especially in the summer) you just have to be clean and neat. No one cares if you're in jeans or a tux, as long as you're friendly and mind your manners!

I have my reservations made and am glad to know so many of my fellow CC members like this place.

I'm from New Orleans so I know there are some places here that I would call more touristy and some that are so good that both locals and tourist go to. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't one of those tourist only joints.

I suspect S & S does better business in winter than in summer; locals and workers come to drink and then eat. It's been a very popular watering hole since it opened in the 1970s. One of a very small number of Anchorage restaurants with a view and decent food to boot.

I have my reservations made and am glad to know so many of my fellow CC members like this place.

I'm from New Orleans so I know there are some places here that I would call more touristy and some that are so good that both locals and tourist go to. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't one of those tourist only joints.

I now live in an area where we have restaurants that appeal to tourists that locals avoid like a bad dream.

As for the dress code at Simon and Seafort's.......so true!

Archived