Dubrovnik

Hi,

Is it possible to walk from the ship's dock to the walls of Dubrovnik? How long would it take? What are the highlights of Dubrovnik - we will be there only one day in September. Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can. We had a driver to Ston in the morning, but made the mistake of taking a taxi when we could have walked.

Dobrodosli

Carol, I started the thread and I wanted to thank you for your assistance. My DH and I had a wonderful day in Croatia and loved Dubrovnik. We walked the wall, which of course was the highlight. We also went to the Cathedral, Synagogue, and Monestary and old pharmacy.

Everyone was so friendly. The man at the shop in the Pharmacy was really nice. He saw my camera and told me to take some pictures (I would never shoot flash anyway. As an artist I am always concerned about the preservation). When I went to buy a couple of postcards (I always do in case the photos do not come out, or purchase pictures of interiors where cameras are not allowed) he tried to stop me and said I did not need to make a purchase as he was allowing me to take a photo. The person in the entrance to the Monastery was also very nice. We had Kuna, but the couple with us was short and he just let them in "2 for 1". We also had time to sit down at a restaurant (overlooking the water), and my mussels were excellent.

I am glad I started the thread and wanted to thank you again for all the help you have given to me, as well as to others.

We knew we would love the area (having spent weeks in Slovenia) and hope to come back for a longer stay in Dubrovnik and Croatia.

Yes you can do part of the wall and since you are poor walkers then going up at the Pile gate is NOT the entrace you should use. There is another entrance, but it is not easy to locate without specific directions. I will post the website for the excellent map of Dubrovnik so you can get a general idea of the location of many wonderful sites. Do download this map and locate those places which you may want to visit, it makes finding them without a guide easier.

Dobro Dosli

Dear Croatian Travel Lady

I have found a good map with the street names clearly marked that I could print out. Can you now tell which gate we should use to go onto the wall to do only half, and with less steps, and where we should come down.

I have also found that the street with the strictly vegetarian restaurant is just near the synagogue, which is one of the 'must see' for us.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Frieda

Just ask where the entrance to the wall is located, it's up a set of stairs near to the aquarium (sp). this is the best place to go up and start the walk, you see the sea and the town and it's just magical.

Dobrodosli

Carol

"Hvala" for the advice and the link. I was in line at the grocery store today and I got to talking to some other "Croatian Ladies" (in English). My parents are Slovenian - we spoke it growing up - and I didn't realize how I actually may understand a fair bit when I get to Dubrovnik...Makes me all the more excited about my trip this October.

Hi, I was just trying to plan my day in Dubrovnik and had a question. Where does the boat dock? Is is closer to the Pile Gate entrance or the Ploce Gate? I was planning to take a taxi to the city wall to save time. I read that it is about 10E to Pile Gate. Is the cost roughly the same if the boat docks near Ploce Gate? Can anyone recommend a place to get a quick breakfast? Just coffee and some type of pastry until lunch time. If anyone has any recommmendations for a good Croatian lunch, i would be grateful. Thank you.

Are you sure it will be docking in the old harbor ???

We were on Brilliance of the Seas last November and we did not dock any where near the old town area. We were docked right under the new span bridge about (I am guessing here) 5-6 miles from old town. Royal Caribbean sold shuttle tickets for $8.00 per person round trip which we used to get to the old town area. It took us directly to the Pile Gate entrance. We had absolutely no wait getting on the shuttle there or back. If you use the shuttle - do not plan to take the last one back.....it can be a real zoo !

Carol,

You are such a wealth of knowledge. I thank you for all the information. My boat arrives on Sunday, Sept. 14 with about 4 other boats. I will take your advice and head to Ploce Gate and enter from there. I don't want to waste valuable time standing in line.

Hvala,

Melissa

Would someone be able to tell me approximately how much Kuna (Croatian currency) to bring for one day in Dubrovnik. We will be in Dubrovnik on Sept. 14 with Norweigan. Will all of the main sights be open such as Cathedra, Synagogue, Pharmacy, etc. as this is a Sunday. Also, I would like to know if I can walk from the ship to a gate with less steps than the Pile Gate. What about Sveti Ivan? Can I walk there from the ship? If so, could you provide me with directions? Does the Cabrillo Bus go outside of the gate or do I need to pay the money at the gate and then get the bus? Thank you for all of your help.

I've been reading on other boards about how crowded Dubrovnik can get, and I've seen that we will be there with FOUR other ships on 16th September, over 6000 people. Apparently there have been problems getting the shuttle buses back to the ships, sometimes even a fight breaking out with people pushing and shoving. I'm getting a bit worried as I'll be there with my elderly,frail mother, and I have not been well recently myself. Can someone please tell me if taxis are easy to get, rather than fight with people for the shuttle bus?

I thought about taking one of the ship's excursions but they all include walking tours, and mum cannot keep up with the guides (we tried this last year!)

Would be grateful for any advice.

Polly

Friend mentioned hearing of a short water cruise around Dubrovnik with great views. Does anyone know of this?

Also a friend mentioned a great Italian restauant but can not remember the name. She said when you leave the ship and start walking towards downtown, it's on the firest r second street to the right off of the main road. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

• 1 month later...

Dear Carol,

I will be in your lovely city on November 9. Several other people on the cruise have posted inquiries and comments on this VERY informative thread and I have read all of your replies. I downloaded the map and will take your advise into consideration.

I have three questions:

1. Is the synagogue easy to find? I see the location on the map. Once I get to that location, will it be hard to find the synagogue?

2. Where is the restaurant Nava? It may be too cool in November to sit outside at Orhan, so I thought I might try Nava.

3. I will be certain to try to get to the Taj Mahal to eat the cevapcici. Can you tell me where I can find it?

Thanks so much.

Dear Carol,

I will be in your lovely city on November 9. Several other people on the cruise have posted inquiries and comments on this VERY informative thread and I have read all of your replies. I downloaded the map and will take your advise into consideration.

I have three questions:

1. Is the synagogue easy to find? I see the location on the map. Once I get to that location, will it be hard to find the synagogue?

2. Where is the restaurant Nava? It may be too cool in November to sit outside at Orhan, so I thought I might try Nava.

3. I will be certain to try to get to the Taj Mahal to eat the cevapcici. Can you tell me where I can find it?

Thanks so much.

You will find the synagogue easy to find, it is just off the Stradun on Jewish street.

Nava only has outdoor tables and it will not be open during November.

Orhan has indoor dining, I suggest you have lunch there.

Taj Mahal has a very small indoor area, it is just off Miha Pracata.

Croatia is still a very, very smoking country so please do not expect to find any non smoking restaurants.

Dobrodosli

Carol

Ok so I have read lots of questions and responses but I still have a few myself. I read it takes 2 hrs to see the wall-I have another excursion booked but would at least like to visit even if I don't see the whole thing. Once I enter at a gate can I go either way? Or is it only one way? I have seen responses it is possible to walk to the ship-I am on RCL Splendour of the Seas which someone said docks in the new port. If it is possible to walk how long is it? Thanks in advance!

Ok so I have read lots of questions and responses but I still have a few myself. I read it takes 2 hrs to see the wall-I have another excursion booked but would at least like to visit even if I don't see the whole thing. Once I enter at a gate can I go either way? Or is it only one way? I have seen responses it is possible to walk to the ship-I am on RCL Splendour of the Seas which someone said docks in the new port. If it is possible to walk how long is it? Thanks in advance!

Splendour is always docked in the new port of Gruz, because of here mega size. If you choice to walk to town, you will have wasted 45 minutes to an hour just walking uphill to reach Stari Grad (old town). Since your time here is so limited I believe you shouldn't waste any of it walking from the Gruz.

There is a map of town listed on the Dubrovnik tourist bureau, that will give you a much better idea of where you're going. Please download it and bring a copy of it here as our local tourist bureau has run out.

As of 01 October the city walls are open from 0830 to 1730 daily. Plan you day well and be prepared.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli

Carol

I would certainly take Carol's advice again regarding all matters concerning Dubrovnik, as my friend and I did during our recent mid-September visit. From her info about the Wall, both the practical and historical, sights within the Old City to see, her restaurant suggestions, coffee and internet cafes, good shops to browse, connection to wonderful local lodging accommodations and, to top it off, interesting sidenotes, it was very worth our time to be connected with Carol.

Again, hvala lijepo, Carol, :D

Dovidenja, Andrea

Archived