Dubrovnik

Regarding Koper...

This port will take you to Piran...check out your options about traveling to there. It's a charming little town with heavy Venetian influence.

I have a few pictures in my Slovenia album on my website.

Can you tell me what ship you will be on and I can look at your shorex options. I'm wondering if they are offering a very long day to Lake Bled.

Regarding Split, have you seen my posts on Split utilizing the search engine? We were there on our land vacation that began in Dubrovnik in May.

There's pictures on our website, and if you need a Sights to See list let me know.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Hi Where2next! Yes - I have seen your posts and others on Split thanks - I feel I have a decent handle on what to do there but am always open to new suggestions.

We are on the Azamara Journey next April 5 out of Barcelona (we are in Koper from 8 am to 5 pm on a Monday) - and although we don't typically like to take ship tours, I do like to check out the offered options just for the ideas of what to do. So I have looked at them already and they do NOT offer Lake Bled - not sure how far it is from Port. They do offer a cave excursion - but after my research on that one - it looks a little "claustrophobic" for me - ha ha. The other caves in Postojna don't look as tiny to get into and have a castle in the hill (I believe) nearby that looks cool - not sure how far away that one is either.....

At this point - I am thinking of the Pirin/Portoros (sp?) idea to check out but ultimately - I would rather hear recommendations from somebody who has actually been there! I did look at your wonderful pics but somehow didn't see labels to know what I was looking at? Are they mostly Piran?

So any advice is most welcome!!!! Thanks!!! Can't wait to see this part of the med!

Hi!

only have a second...

any pictures you see with water view are Piran.

In the Welcome Album...you will see a picture that it looks like we took it from a tower looking down into a oval shaped "town square" that;s Piran.

It's small you can see and do everything in a day, we loved it and being on the sea...keep in mind we were on an INTERIOR Eastern Europe 3 week land trip...so having a day on water..created just a wonderful ambience. You will be on water and have been to Dubrovnik, Split, etc...and may feel compared to the others its quite wimpy.

rick steves and lonely planet have write ups on it, in their books ...i would recommend that you take a look at them

If it's easy and relatively inexpensive to do...then by all means go...

Hi Where2next! Yes - I have seen your posts and others on Split thanks - I feel I have a decent handle on what to do there but am always open to new suggestions.

We are on the Azamara Journey next April 5 out of Barcelona (we are in Koper from 8 am to 5 pm on a Monday) - and although we don't typically like to take ship tours, I do like to check out the offered options just for the ideas of what to do. So I have looked at them already and they do NOT offer Lake Bled - not sure how far it is from Port. They do offer a cave excursion - but after my research on that one - it looks a little "claustrophobic" for me - ha ha. The other caves in Postojna don't look as tiny to get into and have a castle in the hill (I believe) nearby that looks cool - not sure how far away that one is either.....

At this point - I am thinking of the Pirin/Portoros (sp?) idea to check out but ultimately - I would rather hear recommendations from somebody who has actually been there! I did look at your wonderful pics but somehow didn't see labels to know what I was looking at? Are they mostly Piran?

So any advice is most welcome!!!! Thanks!!! Can't wait to see this part of the med!

While you are in Kopar do try to visit the town of Lipica, it is the farm where the Lipizzaner stud farm is located. Do not miss this, it is absolutely fantastic place to visit. Their website is listed below.

Dobra Dosli

http://www.lipica.org/?vie=cnt&str=41_eng

.....for your good information! Much appreciated! And Karen - I was looking at your 2009 adventure - and I have been to every one of those stops except Barcelona on my cruise last fall - so if I can return the favor - please let me know...

Cheers,

Robin

Your knowledge of so many things in Croatia is very much appreciated. One more specific inquiry: "Something special" from the U.S. might include what? I heard someone ask for bottles of Advil (motrin). Is that special enough?

Andrea

Yes, of course something special from the US would be greatly appreciated. We call this an "Uspomena" which means "Remembrance" and locals are so thrilled when a guest remembers them with a small gift. It doesn't need to be something expensive, just thoughtful. You will be greated as a family memeber and do expect them to kiss both cheeks when you depart.

Thank you (Hvala) for asking such a wonderful question.

Dobro Dosli

By the end of September the opening of the city walls will probably change from 0800 to ????. According to my DH it could be 0830 to 0900, but we don't know for sure yet. As soon as the times change I will post the new hours. The weather in September will not be as hot as right now, so you can probably do the walls easily just after you arrive. As for mom and dad, put them on the Cabrilo bus, a wonderful 2 hour tour of the entire town with English audio guide. They can see the sights from the open air bus, with roof but no windows. Might suggest they carry a sweater or light jackets. This bus will not depart if we have bad weather, it can rain in September and the wind may blow. However last year it was great, not too hot and just some easy rain. Who knows what this year will bring. There is no info on the Cabrio bus, it is just something I think is great for those who don't walk easily.

The sights in Stari Grad (old town) and easy walking and you can take your time. There will be so many less tourists in late September and early October, my favorite months. Do let me know what ship you're on as your docking area can change that morning, depending on the sea and wind.

Dobro Dosli

We are Splendour of the Seas (RCI) and visit Dubrovnik on Sunday 28th September. Hope this helps. Thanks a lot.

We are Splendour of the Seas (RCI) and visit Dubrovnik on Sunday 28th September. Hope this helps. Thanks a lot.

Splendour has been docked in the new port of Gruz. This is a cab ride into town or you can take the ship shuttle bus. However with 4 adults, I believe a cab would be better and faster. Have them drop you at the Ploce gate, which is the eastern entrance into the old town. You can put you folks on the Cabrilo bus at the Ploce bus stop and if you need to wait there is a nice shelter with bench. I will post the times of the Cabrilo arrival at that stop and also the opening hours of the city wall. While the folks are on the bus, you can walk the walls easily. Once they are finished they can disembark at the same stop and you can be there to walk them into town. No steps, just a small downward walk and you arrive at the Sponza Palace front entrance, Sveti Valho Church and Ronchi hat factory. Also the Gradska Kavana, for a small coffee or drink and some pastry. Lunch time and there are many nice places to eat in town, take your pick and return to the ship with time to spare.

Dobro Dosli

Your knowledge of so many things in Croatia is very much appreciated. One more specific inquiry: "Something special" from the U.S. might include what? I heard someone ask for bottles of Advil (motrin). Is that special enough?

Andrea

Advil is available here so it would not a rememberance, some would take it as an insult. May I please tell you brought last year when I brought my small group to the Dalmatian coast. Went to TJMaxx, bought several silk scarves for $10 each and it is something they can use often. Also a small gift should be wrapped in nice paper or even a small gift bag. You could also bring some type of small book about San Pedro, as there are many Croatians in the area and someone either has a relative or knows of the area. A scarf would be worn with pride and the lady would tell all her friends how this kind American gave her an "Uspomena."

Dobro Dosli

Hi Croatian Travelady,

Thanks to all your advice we had a wonderful day in Dubrovnik. We docked at the port of Gruz and took a taxi ($10)to the Ploce Gate. We arrived early, like you said,and avoided the worst of the crowds (though we were the only ship in that day it was still very busy by 11 am and very hot.)

We bypassed the restaurants outside the gate and found our way to Orhan where we watched the world go by for an hour or so over a couple of coffees and pancakes with hot cherries and ice cream(very reasonable). We had the place all to ourselves, as few people seem to venture far from the gate. Thankyou for all the help and advice you offer.It really helped make our visit special.

Sailingscots

The synagogue is inside the old town. The city walls circle the old town. You should finish the walls, come down near the aquarium and locate the synagogue, it's on a side street and not easily seen until your at the front door. Please download the map which was posted as you can get a great overview of where all the sights are located in the old town.

Dobro Dosli

Thanks! Can we pay for the synagogue in Euros or dollars or do we have to use Kunas?

fabulous thread! Thanks so much for all the info. We were there a few years ago and walked the wall (DH was 78 at the time). We wore hats and brought water and had walking shoes. We went up the all at the East Entrance. (We ate fish at Nautika - good but EXPENSIVE!)

BTW, I was surprised nobody mentioned the pigeon phenomena :cool: around noon by the market?!

We'll be going back again in May 2009; can't wait! Perhaps we'll do the bus tour or go to Cavtat or the island OF Lokrum

Well, we shopped at Konzum and the Farmers Market almost everyday since we were on a land vacation.

There was one elderly person feeding the pigeons on 1 day only with bread they brought in.

There's a few that linger when the market closes down, but really nothing like I've experienced elsewhere ...say in Italy

Dear Crotian travelady, I just returned from our cruise and I want to thank you for all your great tips for Dubrovnik. Eating at the Orhan Restaurant for lunch was one of our most memorable meals. Most had the grilled calamari and I had the prawn risotto. The food was delicious and the view was beautiful. The gelato in Dubrovnik was some of the best we had on the trip.

We were there on July 25 and the weather was sunny in the 70's. We did enter the walls at the pile gate because there were no lines. This was around 8:15. There were very few people walking the walls at that time. We felt like we had the walls all to ourselves. When we came back down there were huge lines. We loved Dubrovnik. The only disappointment I had was when I arrived at the Ronchi hat factory at 12:45 and they were closed! The sign said they were closed 1pm-5pm. I stared in the window at all these beautiful hats and there wasn't anything I could do:(.

Again, thank you so much for your invaluable information. I also thank Where to Next. You were both a great help.

Bonnie

Does anyone know if the synagogue is within the city walls or do we have to leave our walk of the walls to get there? Thanks.:)

They took Kuna and I believe EUR. No one wants US dollars. We actually changed money while we were in Ston Croatia in the morning.

Also, we had thought we were let off by our driver at the Pile gate but were at the opposite gate. So, we walked right past the Cathedral and Synagogue and ended up on the wall from I believe the Pile gate (we had already bought our ticket at the other gate prior to looking for the Synagogue) and walked around before getting off and going into the Cathedral and Synagogue. We then took a taxi back to the ship from that gate and it was 16 EUR (with tip), so expensive (they would not give a flat rate). Those who took a taxi from the Pile gate to the port paid a flat 10 EUR. We also realized it was close enough that we could have walked.

Also note that the Rectors Palace only takes Kuna. I had spent my Kuna and wanted to go prior to leaving, but did not have the entrance fee although they left me into the courtyard which may have been the most interesting past architecturally.

Why does it surprise anyone the locals can't or won't take the US dollor. With the dollar falling every day, they will prefer the Euro, until the dollar starts going back up.

What a shame that you walked passed many of the sights without seeing them. Perhaps it would pay to hire a local private tour guide. They can get into the old town and make a circle going to each site as they appear.

Yes, you could walk from the Ploce to the Pile gate, it takes a few minutes. However, the cab driver you used took advantage of the fact you were American. Most folks only pay 10 euros from either gate. Sorry not everyone here is honest and many are not locals either.

In any event I do hope you enjoyed your short visit to my home. Perhaps one day you may return, to spend some time coming down the coast stopping at several towns, rather than just the one or two on the mega cruisers.

The only way to see the Dalmatian coast is on a Croatian "gulet" which is a motorized sailing vessel. Most only have a total capacity of 12 to 14. This is the only way to see the Adriatic as it should be seen!

Hvala

You misunderstood my post. We saw and did everything as planned (Rectors was not on our list). We got Kuna and paid in Kuna for everything we intended to see and used it all (Wall, Synagogue, Monastery, Lunch). I was just warning others to be sure where you are dropped off. We walked the wall, went into the Cathedral, Synagogue, Monestary, Courtyard and Pharmacy, saw both Fountains and had lunch in Dubrovnik. We did not miss anything. It is a very small old town. I was just telling others to be sure where you are let off. It was no big deal. We just went to the pharmacy first, walked the wall and got off by the Synagogue later when we finished the wall.

We are world travelers and never took any US dollars off the ship. I was answering the person who asked. I am not surprised but know others who were.

We are hoping to take the Cabrio bus tour of Dubrovnik a week from today on the suggestion of some locals on this thread. We are very excited to do this, since I can't walk much and there is no way we can walk the walls. I would not even be able to get up to the top of wall!

I've been searching the net for awhile now and getting frustrated. I have also tried emailing, but I have gotten no response. The schedules I have found line are not in English, so I can't understand them. What I have been trying to get is a schedule for when the bus is stops at the Pile Gate, so we can start the tour from there. I am not sure exactly what time we can go ashore due to coordinating with family members. So, I have been trying to find a schedule.

I would really, really appreciate it if someone could post the schedule. We are so looking forward to the tour.

Rhonda

For anyone who is a good swimmer I can recommend another good way of seeing Croatia.

I went on a trip in June organised by a UK company, based on the island of Prvic. We went out on a little boat each day, and swam between some of the smaller islands. The scenery was very beautiful, and it's a good way to see the quieter areas of the coast.

They recommend you can swim about 3km in one swim, at a speed of about 25 mins a km. It was quite hard work, but a memorable experience!

Archived