Gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

We are never sure what to do about tipping those who are "executive officers". They have rendered fabulous service, but we fear a tip would be insulting...can anyone help?? Has anyone ever tipped Klaus, for example??

We feel the same way.

We send the HD a note and follow up with a note to HQ about what a terrific job they (HD, etc.,) have done on the ship.

Hope this helps;)

As for the servers in the specialty restaurants, we tip extra because the service is always great! We've never had less than superb service in any of the specialty restaurants - and we tend to eat the majority of our meals at them (the main dining rooms are too big/too noisy for us) and we prefer smaller venues.

I will be in a AC PH Suite on the Sun 2/15/09 to So. America. Wondering what I should tip. I will be in the Suite alone. I am travelling with my cousin and her friend. They are on another deck. I am sure they will spend time with me in my suite and on the Verandah. As I single do I need to tip double? Like I paid for the Suite. I plan to do some Room service and specialty restaurants for sure and look forward to that extra help from having a Suite. I want to tip correctly.

I have heard some say to tip some (half?) in the beginning, any ideas? This is my first Suite, last cruise was mini suite (my first balcony) and I went and looked at the PH Suites on disembarkation day and loved how roomy they were. I tend to be claustrophobic. Can't do inside or porthole rooms ever.

I will be in a AC PH Suite on the Sun 2/15/09 to So. America. Wondering what I should tip. I will be in the Suite alone. I am travelling with my cousin and her friend. They are on another deck. I am sure they will spend time with me in my suite and on the Verandah. As I single do I need to tip double? Like I paid for the Suite. I plan to do some Room service and specialty restaurants for sure and look forward to that extra help from having a Suite. I want to tip correctly.

I have heard some say to tip some (half?) in the beginning, any ideas? This is my first Suite, last cruise was mini suite (my first balcony) and I went and looked at the PH Suites on disembarkation day and loved how roomy they were. I tend to be claustrophobic. Can't do inside or porthole rooms ever.

NCL will charge you one service charge per day. This covers everyone except the Butler and Concierge(and bar staff which is added to the bill or the spa staff). They are tipped according to how much you use them. If you are inviting your follow travelers in for breakfast on the Veranda the Butler will get the food and you should tip him accordingly at the END. I would expect you to tip at least $10 per day for the Butler. If you room stewards do a really excellent job I would tip them extra too but you don't need to tip for two.

Some food for thought, lets say, the average ship carries 2000 people with a crew of 975, so the tip of $10. per day, per person comes out to a total of $20,000. for everyone, now divided that by the crew of 975, it comes out to about $20.50 per crew person, for a 7 day-er, along with amenities such as, traveling, crew bars, etc, they pull-in $143.50 per week in tips, plus what the ship pays, say $1.00 per day, so they make about $150.00 a week, along with "free room and board", along with all those long hours of good service. So do you think it's worth their effort, considering what they would make in their home countries?

We feel the same way.

We send the HD a note and follow up with a note to HQ about what a terrific job they (HD, etc.,) have done on the ship.

Hope this helps;)

Thanks--I have begged many of the people I know on NCL and they will NOT answer...one concierge did say she has seen them receive "gifts"--which were not money...

Archived