Transfers from Dover

hsc15

We are sailing on the Regatta from Stockholm to Dover 27th August 08 and was wondering if Oceania have transfers available from Dover to London or do we need to organise our own.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on the same cruise several years ago. We used the ship transfers from Dover to LHR and it was just fine. We were at the airport with time to spare. If I remember correctly, there wasn't much between Dover and the airport and the cost of the transfer wasn't all that much in the scope of things......

Karen

Yes, and if you're over 60 it's half-price!

(No steps? Tell me, Steve! Even to get into the coach?)

Jana

I was comparing the 3 steps to get on the bus with empty hands to the flights of stairs you have to deal with when taking the train with your luggage in tow.

And yes, if you're over 60 or 55 for a woman always ask for the "concession", to save a lot!

The pier is a 5 minute cab ride away. In Southampton it's 2 minutes. The bus is hard to beat.

I was comparing the 3 steps to get on the bus with empty hands to the flights of stairs you have to deal with when taking the train with your luggage in tow.

Ah, yes, I can deal with the bus steps but not stairs or escalators with my "stuff." I'm going in a day early so will get off in town (Dover), but I thought the bus now goes directly to the cruise terminal?

Thanks, Steve.

Jana

ToJana,

If you are going in a day earlier, don't miss the Tunnels under the Dover Castle. They were recently reopened after some work was done. Google Dover Castle Tunnels and you can read all about the history of the tunnels and their significance during WWII.

Sheila

THANK YOU Shoshona! I decided to just get the travel over with and get to Dover, got a cheapo B&B, I figured flying from California and a five hour bus trip, I'll conk as soon as I get there.

I was trying to figure out what to do on Wednesday morning and that sounds perfect! I know I'll be up at around 5 a.m. and ready to do something by 8:30 or 9; this seems ideal.

Thanks again!

Jana

Hi Jana,

We did the Dover Tunnels the morning after arriving in Dover, also. Go to Google and you can view the hours for the tour. It is really worthwhile seeing. We then had lunch in a cafe that was recommended by the owner of the owner of our B&B and then he offered to take us to the ship. The people in Dover are wonderful.

Sheila

We used National Express http://www.nationalexpress.com/ from London to Dover and from Dover to Heathrow. Very easy, no steps, scenic and cheap.

We used them back in May 2001 with Renaissance, only we did it from Heathrow to Dover. We were very pleased, although one has to decide if he/she wants to deal with hauling luggage to the bus, etc. It was a very pleasant and scenic drive down to Dover.

In June 2006 we booked a private van for the ride back to London. We used minivanplus@yahoo.com. We were four couples -- one going to Heathrow, three staying on in London. The price then was 209 pounds. That was reasonable in 2006 ... But the service was great. They met us at the dock, loaded up the luggage and we were in central London in plenty of time.

I should add that if you can go in to Dover early I highly recommend it.

In May 2001 we only came in a day early. That gave us time to do Dover Castle in the morning but we always regretted that we hadn't given Dover more time.

So in June 2006 we came in 3 days early. We rented a car at Stanstead and drove down. We spent the first afternoon in Canterbury and then drove to our hotel in Dover. The next two days we drove around the town and also took a drive up to Sandwich. Our original intention had always been to do Leeds and some other places ... and we still haven't done those!

There is plenty to do in Dover, even without a car. WITH a car, you have more options, of course. The local museum in town is very interesting. There is also a roman villa that was closed when we were there (even though it was SUPPOSED to be opoen).

And as has been said, the people there are lovely. Both times we stayed at the Best Western Churchill which is not the greatest hotel in the world, although comfortable and on the beach. It's walking distance to the port if you are really enthusiastic. Otherwise it is a cheap cab ride. And it is walking distance to the Dover City sights themselves.

Archived