Time to allow for Mt. Roberts Tramway

2Oregonians

We get back from one excursion at 3:00 pm and the next one starts at 6:00 pm. Will there be enough time in between to take the Mt. Roberts Tramway? I figure this leaves us 2 hours (3:30 to 5:30) when I allow a 30 min. buffer after the 1st excursion and before the 2nd. Enough time, or will we feel rushed? With wait times in line plus the time for the trip up and down, how much time does this leave us at the top? Thanks!!

I think thats plenty of time. Assuming you don't have tickets already, when you get to the lobby, there is a machine on the right side where you can buy your tickets with a credit card (like an atm). When we got there the line was really long but then I saw the machine and we were through in minutes. We didn't have have to wait but a couple of minutes for the ride up. Coming back down we had to wait for the 2nd tram (maybe 10 minutes?). There isn't much up there unless you go hiking, but the time passed quickly. I think we were there for about 2 hours (total). I didn't want to leave yet but it was just because it was so beautiful!

Just got back and loved the tramway. We ate on the deck of the restaurant at the top and it was wonderful -the food, the beer and the service were great. Other than that, we went to the gift shop, the nature exhibit and walked around outside briefly before heading back down. 2 hours will be plenty of time and is well worth it. The views from the tram are great.

You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the tram and Mt Roberts. The views are great! If you do encounter lines going up or waiting to come back down they move pretty quickly. Amazing how many fit into that Tram. Unless one decides to do a lot of hiking up on the mountaintop I suspect most people are done in less than 2 hours. We went up about 3 pm for about one hour and one-half and then went up again after supper on the ship to enjoy sunset before it was time for our ship to leave. Your ticket is good for the entire day.

The tram is something we would love to try, but DW is uncomfortable (read that as terrified) with heights. Is the tram fully enclosed, or are the sides open? She'll be okay if it's enclosed, but there's no way she'll get on if the sides are open.

Also, is there a time of day when it's not as crowded. We have some flexibility as far as when to go.

The tram is something we would love to try, but DW is uncomfortable (read that as terrified) with heights. Is the tram fully enclosed, or are the sides open? She'll be okay if it's enclosed, but there's no way she'll get on if the sides are open.

Also, is there a time of day when it's not as crowded. We have some flexibility as far as when to go.

It is enclosed, but frankly, go without her, if she won't. No there is no way to predict any "timing" here. Go when the clear weather is available.

The sides are enclosed here a picture of it. Its worth the trip up there.

2433914430102406380S600x600Q85.jpg

My friend is afraid of heights, but would possibly willing to go if there are seats to sit down in the tram as it works its way to the top. How long is the trip up and is there seats?

Thanks,

Sharon

Kentucky

My friend is afraid of heights, but would possibly willing to go if there are seats to sit down in the tram as it works its way to the top. How long is the trip up and is there seats?

Thanks,

Sharon

Kentucky

Sharon,

there is a few seats on the front and back as I recall. It only takes 3 minutes

or so to get to the top.

A friend of our went last time who has a problem with heights. She did fine

on it as long as we talked with her.

I've been on similar trams (one at Wallowa Lake, Oregon) and if you look up towards where you're going, you'll do fine. Avoid looking straight down below the tram car, and avoid looking back down toward the direction you just came up from.

Last year, I was stuck in a very long line to get back down the tram in the afternoon. It was a sunny day with the typical 5 ships in port. The line moved fairly quickly, but it took about 45 minutes. Keep that in mind as you plan your time.

I just got back and it was $25 per person. I didn't think the view was worth the cash as we got a lot nicer shots in different ports. The trails were still snow covered, so pack wisely if you plan to hike.

If I might suggest a lower cost alternative, in Ketchikan we hiked up the Married Man's Trail to the top of the mountain and then took the tramcar back down. For some reason you only pay on the way up, so we actually ended up riding for free, but that was only $5 roundtrip, (I think), and was a wonderful view. The one in Ketchikan is slightly smaller. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend either for people that have an issue with heights. The trams are visible from almost every vantage point at the top of the mountain and it may be difficult to get a panicked person back on it.....

approx. how long would it take to hike up and how would you rate the trail? ie 1 as pretty easy up to 5, you have to be in great shape with terrific calves, ha,ha

thanks for any additional info regarding this hike

we plan to walk along Creek Street but would like to get away from there and head up the mountain for some good views. Opinions or help?

approx. how long would it take to hike up and how would you rate the trail? ie 1 as pretty easy up to 5, you have to be in great shape with terrific calves, ha,ha

we plan to walk along Creek Street but would like to get away from there and head up the mountain for some good views. Opinions or help?

This is a downtown "path", and certainly in no way, a scenic hiking trail. You get the nice views from the funicular and Fox Lodge. Out the back they have some beautiful totems. Then you would hook up with the Married Man's Trail. rated a 1 in my opinion.

On a similar note, has anyone hiked to the top of Mt. Roberts? I know the trails may be muddy, but how difficult is it 1 being very easy (like a walk through town...) and 5 being very steep and taxing. We do a bit of hiking up decent sized hills in California, but are not experts. I'm just wondering if its feasible or if you have to have "super calves".;)

Also, I have head rumors that the Mt. Roberts Tram is either free or much cheaper ($5 I think) if you hike the mountain and only ride the Tram down. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

:D

The trail is definitely not for taking pictures :D , but it wasn't bad to get up. We also kept going to the left of the trail, (there is a definite part where you go right to go up), and that was a very casual walk. Going up is mainly stairs, so it is not difficult unless stairs would cause a problem. I wouldn't send my mother up those stairs, but I would send up anyone with some general fitness. Unlike some of the other stairs in town, they seemed to be very well maintained. It isn't so much a hike as it is just a way to get up. Nonetheless, walking up burns some extra desserts and bypasses the tram line!

We also took the right-hand trail to see the salmon ladder and kept walking to the Ketchikan City Park. I believe that is where the spawning center and totem pole village are as well. And then we got lost and ended up by the IGA grocery store, but I blame that on my companions. ;)

Archived