LIVE from DENALI

GMoney

Patrick, I've enjoyed reading your reports. Glad to know the Subway is open early. I now know where I will pick up my lunch on the day we are in Denali. Is there a donut shop or something open to get a quick bite for breakfast? I don't want to get on a bumpy shuttle bus on an empty stomach.

Hi - Glad the info is helpful. Posting also gives me something to do in the evenings when not watching Jericho on iTunes. :D I had the same issue for breakfast, and I am not into big sit-down traditional breakfasts either. Some suggestions:

> Buy a few things in Wasilla (Entenmanns, peanut butter n bagels, etc, yogurt, whatever works for you.

> Subway does sell cinnamon rolls and muffins. Not the best, but enough to ward off cravings.

> No donut shop I'm aware of, but there are coffee carts / stands in the bigger hotels, which also of course offer more dining options.

You mention a film of dust even with the windows closed....:eek: I sure hope it isn't as dusty when I'm there. I have asthma so I might need to bring a mask:o just in case. Did you see anyone having difficulty with the dust. I won't let the dust stop me from going!!:) Just want to be prepared.

The dust could be a real problem. No way to predict. Hope for a drizzly day or some rain just before you arrive. They do chemically treat parts of the road with a dust-retardant, but only small stretches.

One woman was going out on a TWT and decided not to go due to the dust, so she ended up on our eastbound shuttle bus at Teklanika back out of the park. She did not appear to be in any distress, but if you have pulmonary issues, I would take precautions and have a plan B.

Well I am packed and ready to drive to ANC, where I will be mailing a package of my gear home so I do not have to lug it around. :)

Patrick:

Thanks so much for that info. We are booked on the Wonder Lake shuttle that Friday so I hope we will at least be able to stop and check it out. I'll report back if I am able to see it. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thank you and enjoy your trip!

Patrick, I've enjoyed reading your reports. Glad to know the Subway is open early. I now know where I will pick up my lunch on the day we are in Denali. Is there a donut shop or something open to get a quick bite for breakfast? I don't want to get on a bumpy shuttle bus on an empty stomach.

You mention a film of dust even with the windows closed....:eek: I sure hope it isn't as dusty when I'm there. I have asthma so I might need to bring a mask:o just in case. Did you see anyone having difficulty with the dust. I won't let the dust stop me from going!!:) Just want to be prepared.

Look forward to reading your review although the reports have been great! Hope you have a safe trip home. Glad you had a great trip!!!

There is a snack shack/store at McKinley Chalet main lodge building that had quite an assortment of snack type breakfast/lunch items. Not sure what time they open, as we had our Husky Homestead tour at 8:30, so we weren't there at the crack of dawn, but might be worth checking out.

Archived