AFT Cabin

Not to sound TOOOOOO stupid BUT>>>>

My DH & I were lucky enough to get an Aft cabin on the Mariner for our cruise in Sept. Couple of ????s though...

1. Is the noise/vibration louder in these cabins than on the rest of the

ship?

2. Can you feel the "motion" of the ship more in these cabins? (Being prone to sea sickness, this is important...:( )

3. When booking future cruises is there a way to designate "Aft" cabins and have the availability listed?

Ok, this was three ????..but your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Not to sound TOOOOOO stupid BUT>>>>

My DH & I were lucky enough to get an Aft cabin on the Mariner for our cruise in Sept. Couple of ????s though...

1. Is the noise/vibration louder in these cabins than on the rest of the

ship?

2. Can you feel the "motion" of the ship more in these cabins? (Being prone to sea sickness, this is important...:( )

3. When booking future cruises is there a way to designate "Aft" cabins and have the availability listed?

Ok, this was three ????..but your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi there - hope I can answer some of your questions....

There does tend to be a bit more noticeable vibration at the aft of the ship - it didn't bother me, so my guess is that it wasn't THAT noticeable!;)

The motion of the ocean......yes, the cabins at the very front of the ship and at the aft tend to be the areas where you would potentially feel more movement because of their location. Having said that, if the seas are rough you will feel the motion regardless of where your cabin is. I have sailed when seas have been rough in both mid-ship as well as aft cabins and have been fine - just remember to bring along bonine, works like a charm :D

Unfortunately you cannot select 'aft cabins' in your search on RCI's website. If you are looking specifically for aft cabins, do your research and find out those cabin #'s ahead of time so that when you are on the RCI website and you see one available you can grab it instead of wondering if it is in fact an aft cabin. As well, you may want to call RCI directly as they do not list all available cabins if there are a lot of them available. I managed to snag 1100 on the Radiance a few months before my cruise simply by checking with RCI frequently, you never know what may be available :)

Hope this helps a bit??

This site gives you a virtual tour of any ship in Voyager Class - which Mariner is - there's quite a bit of ship superstructure in front of 7388/7387 it would appear. Any way you can go to a higher deck? If you can't find aft cabins on the website - it only gives about 5 at a time to choose- call RCCL or C&A and ask about aft balcony cabins higher up.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

I have 7388 aft

and 7387(kids) on Mariner 5-31-09

and i'm very excited

Always call on the phone and find out what's really available. (I don't know why anyone would bother with the online thing, when they only list a few cabins!!!) You can book over the phone, pay over the phone, ask questions, etc....

Easy!

Yes, you will feel some "vibration" in the aft portion of the ship---it's not like the ship's movement---it's different---I found it annoying, especially while trying to go to sleep! I really prefer the "hump" or midship section--convenient and no vibration! I guess it comes down to personal preference!

Here's my two cents worth.....hope it helps

We just enjoyed our first aft cabin aboard Jewel. Could never book another side cabin again. It is wonderful back there and private. We had corner aft 8168 and just booked corner Serenade 9256 for fall 09 in So Carib.

However, a few things to consider. There IS more motion back there. We didn't find it to unbearable. We had some massive swells at times and it seemed more soothing than disturbing to us. That may not be the case for you. Before this last cruise, I always stayed midship to avoid the motion. In all my cruises, motion onboard has never been a problem.

The walk from the lifts is long. Some people don't like that. I don't mind it as it walks off calories from way too much food! We loved our little corner to the world back there and will continue booking it as long as we cruise.

cb at sea - you have that right! The movement you feel back there is not the same as the other cabins.

I kept our balcony door open at night (wedged with a door stopper), turned the a/c off and just loved the feeling. This may not be for everyone. For us, counting down the days until we can do it again is a wonderful thing!

We sailed 10th deck aft twice on Voyager-class ships. Noise wasn't a problem for us. Never heard anything other than some anchor noise on docking a couple of mornings. We were up by then; granted we're early risers.

Great place. We didn't mind the 100 yrd. walk to our hallway either. Great exercise.

I'll try to put out the Bonnie Voyager signal and get the "Queen of Aft" to stop by the thread for her thoughts.

Love your pic site - I've used it in picking my aft balcony this trip :)

Isn't the large deck surface below this persons cabin, on Deck 6, a crew deck or something like that? I thought I read that somewhere on here. I wanted an aft balcony for a reason - but it wasn't to look down/out at the crew deck.

Location, location, location! Aft is where its at! (For me anyway! ;) )

But, on Voyager-class ships there is a lot of variation from one aft cabin to another. Here is another link to some photos that may help you out...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

Location, location, location! Aft is where its at! (For me anyway! ;) )

But, on Voyager-class ships there is a lot of variation from one aft cabin to another. Here is another link to some photos that may help you out...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

I have 7388 and 7390 ( right next door)so I am assuming it is identical to 7688. I can not wait. THANKS for the pictures.

Love your pic site - I've used it in picking my aft balcony this trip :)

Isn't the large deck surface below this persons cabin, on Deck 6, a crew deck or something like that? I thought I read that somewhere on here. I wanted an aft balcony for a reason - but it wasn't to look down/out at the crew deck.

The large gray deck you see is actually the roof OVER the crew space. The gray area itself is NOT a place where the crew hangs out. Other than the occasional staff member out there cleaning the deck, you should not be seeing folks on this gray deck area. The higher up you are the less you see of this gray deck. That is why I said that on Voyager-class ships, location makes a huge difference! ;)

This site gives you a virtual tour of any ship in Voyager Class - which Mariner is - there's quite a bit of ship superstructure in front of 7388/7387 it would appear. Any way you can go to a higher deck? If you can't find aft cabins on the website - it only gives about 5 at a time to choose- call RCCL or C&A and ask about aft balcony cabins higher up.

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/73887688/html/73887688FR.html

We had the same cabin on the port side on the Freedom (7708) and I would not dissuade anyone from that cabin. First, the balcony is huge, almost as large as the cabin. Secondly, we loved the fact that we could look out the side or the back or the side. The first day we took some nice sunrise pictures facing forward out the side and on the way home we took them out the back. The balcony is covered so you get very little sun.

As far as motion, I noticed the motion was different in the aft than the rest of the ship, more of a side to side shimmy than up and down. On our way back from St Marten we hit some good sized waves that hit us from the side and we were rolling more than going up and down. At that time I didn't really notice the aft to be any worse than the rest of the ship.

Enjoy.

Got back last Saturday from our IOTS (freedom class) cruise to the Canaries.

We usually go for mid-ship but had our first aft cabin as the other 2 people we were travelling with had an inside and thought the bigger balcony would suit us all better.

IMHO the extra space is not worth the extra motion, really felt the difference especially now that RCI have stopped using the stableizers or the extra walk to the aft. Would much prefer mid-ship and if there is only 2 of you in the cabin the balconies are quite adequate.

Archived